Hancock [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hancock

3-LockBox
07-06-2008, 01:28 PM
I saw this one over the weekend, like everyone else I guess. It was OK. Typical summer blockbuster for Will Smith. Highlights are the special effects, lowlights are the dialog and the plot is very predictable. Or at least I should say, the plot develpoment is very predictable. So-called plot twists could be seen coming from a mile away, like Charlize Theron playing Jason Bateman's wife. It wasn't boring, but it doesn't pique my interest for a sequel. This is a movie that could have been gutsier than what it was, but played it safe.

thekid
07-06-2008, 02:36 PM
It seemed like a one-trick pony to me based on the trailers and so I have no desire to see it. Once you get the first couple of gags about a super hero being an ordinary guy what is left? That impression along with a review I heard on NPR was enough for me to wait till HB II and Dark Knight in the upcoming weeks. My wife did want to go see "Wanted" which was an entertaining escape even though it had plot holes you could drive a truck through.

Jack in Wilmington
07-06-2008, 05:24 PM
I saw this one over the weekend, like everyone else I guess. It was OK. Typical summer blockbuster for Will Smith. Highlights are the special effects, lowlights are the dialog and the plot is very predictable. Or at least I should say, the plot develpoment is very predictable. So-called plot twists could be seen coming from a mile away, like Charlize Theron playing Jason Bateman's wife. It wasn't boring, but it doesn't pique my interest for a sequel. This is a movie that could have been gutsier than what it was, but played it safe.

Come on 3LB, you mean you knew that Charlize was like Hancock. You could tell when they first met at the house that there was some kind of connection. But none of the four of us pegged her for alien. Speaking of that, did they ever say where the two of them came from?

markw
07-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Granted, it wasn't Batman Begins but, considering that it's a summer popcorn movie, it does quite well. The plot seems to focus less on the superhero aspect as it does on his troubled past, which made him what he is (or isn't) today.

As for predictible, well I have to disagree. When the linkup between Bateman's wife and Smith was finally revealed I was basically floored. You have to say, it was a unique twist. And, I liked the nod to "Highlander" as well.

The villians were basically for comic relief, but that wasn't the focus of the movie. Hancock exorcising his demons and finding his true self/purpose was, and they were incidental.

emaidel
07-07-2008, 04:00 AM
I thought it was terrific: not at all predictable, and funny as hell besides. Will Smith carried the whole thing off mightily, and almost convinced me he actually could do these things!

There's also something called "spoiler alert" which several posters here should have used. No point giving away one of the film's best moments to those interested in seeing it.

Troy
07-07-2008, 11:58 AM
My wife did want to go see "Wanted" which was an entertaining escape even though it had plot holes you could drive a truck through.

"Plot holes?" Based on the preview it looks like there is absolutely NOTHING in this movie based on any sort of reality. Even physics is thrown out the window.

Why would anyone actually pay to see Hancock? It will be on cable 900 times before halloween.

Jack in Wilmington
07-07-2008, 02:04 PM
"Plot holes?" Based on the preview it looks like there is absolutely NOTHING in this movie based on any sort of reality. Even physics is thrown out the window.

Why would anyone actually pay to see Hancock? It will be on cable 900 times before halloween.

It was very entering as far as we were concerned. We always do the 4th of July Will Smith movie. What I can't figure out is why anyone would pay to see a Will Ferrell movie.

L.J.
07-08-2008, 09:34 AM
There's also something called "spoiler alert" which several posters here should have used. No point giving away one of the film's best moments to those interested in seeing it.

I was just thinking that. I read too much of the thread and should have turned my eyes away. No harm done though. My wife and I are suppose to see it this weekend and I'm sure I'll still have a good time.

Jack in Wilmington
07-08-2008, 12:33 PM
I was just thinking that. I read too much of the thread and should have turned my eyes away. No harm done though. My wife and I are suppose to see it this weekend and I'm sure I'll still have a good time.

I did write Spoiler Alert in the title block. Was I suppose to do more than that?
Sorry. I know how you feel. Our friend told us before we saw "Perfect Storm" That she would have liked it better if she hadn't known everyone was going to die.

L.J.
07-08-2008, 02:19 PM
I did write Spoiler Alert in the title block. Was I suppose to do more than that?
Sorry. I know how you feel. Our friend told us before we saw "Perfect Storm" That she would have liked it better if she hadn't known everyone was going to die.

Oh, I skipped right past that. No, it was still my fault. I should have stopped reading but couldn't help it :biggrin5:

I'd like to see one of these next time though
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

Just kidding

emaidel
07-09-2008, 01:24 PM

So you did. I didn't see it, but can't criticize you for not doing something that you did. Have to admit though, that "spoiler alert" in huge, yellow letters might have captured my attention better...

Jack in Wilmington
07-09-2008, 02:37 PM
So you did. I didn't see it, but can't criticize you for not doing something that you did. Have to admit though, that "spoiler alert" in huge, yellow letters might have captured my attention better...

Agreed and loaded in my memory banks.

3-LockBox
07-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Come on 3LB, you mean you knew that Charlize was like Hancock. You could tell when they first met at the house that there was some kind of connection. But none of the four of us pegged her for alien. Speaking of that, did they ever say where the two of them came from?

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, they never did say they were alien as far as I remember, just that they were immortal. But yeah, I suspected she was a "super" just like him, given that the director went through such great lengths to show that the two had such a secret connection, plus the fact that she's way to friggin hot to be Jason Bateman's wife (his character was kinduva loser in the beginning). So when the moment happened, I was not surprised. What I was surprised at, was the notion that no one else seemed to pursue the fact that a "superwoman" had appeared and kicked Hancock's butt. Yeah, the similarity to Highlander was palpable, but Highlander was ten times as clever and original, being that they were immortal, but not super humans.

I liked the idea that two of them could not exist in the same space without reverting them to mortals, which explains why there wasn't a race of immortals or supers, but they should of had the guts to kill off one or the other, or both, rather than play it for the sequel. It has franchise written all over it. It was as good excuse as any to go to the movies, but at $9.00 a ticket, I could have saved my cash for a movie I really wanted to see, like The Dark Knight or The X-Files II.

3-LockBox
07-09-2008, 04:56 PM
What I can't figure out is why anyone would pay to see a Will Ferrell movie.

Agreed. Completely overrated IMO. The guy is a one-trick pony, just like Adam Sandler. Jim Carrey looks like George C. Scott in comparison to those two.

Worf101
07-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Took the whole famn damily to it last night and enjoyed it immensely. 2 movies obviously. First half is absolutely hilarious. The bit with "Michele" was worth the price of admission alone. I laughed and howled as W.S. struggeled with his demons. Second half was eh... so so. But it wasn't bad enough to wreck the whole movie. The whole superhero with bird etc... thing at the end was hilarious. I give it a "B" for best summer popcorn muncher to date. The whole moon thing was a bit much though.

Da Worfster

"That fake assed Wolverine costume". LOL... I had to laugh.

3-LockBox
07-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Parts were funny. Parts of it reminded me of Bad Santa (the Michelle bit).

Parts were a tad over the top. But I liked it better than I-Robot. Typical super hero movie with happy ending.

I woulda liked it better if Charlize had worn the black leather jumpsuit.

Worf101
07-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Parts were funny. Parts of it reminded me of Bad Santa (the Michelle bit).

Parts were a tad over the top. But I liked it better than I-Robot. Typical super hero movie with happy ending.

I woulda liked it better if Charlize had worn the black leather jumpsuit.
Now that last sentence.... Wow... I like the way you think sometimes. Wish they'da actually showed her kickin' his butt just a little more, you know "Ali vs. Frazier" stylee with a litttle less jerkin' camera stuff. One other complaint, too many effin' closeups. I don't need to see EVERY hair folicle in Mr. Smiths oversized ears.

Da Worfster