Pioneer PL518 Table, Yamaha R-1000 Receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer PL518 Table, Yamaha R-1000 Receiver

traphouse
07-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Going to put a strictly audio system back together, trying to use what I have in storage.

The PL518 table would still have whatever cartridge and stylus came with it when I bought it 20 - 25 years ago. How can you tell if it needs replaced (cartridge and/or stylus)? Also, since there are no shops within 100 miles, I'm guessing, it looks like any replacement and setup would be on me; for no talent or skills, is this more than I want to tackle? Looks like the cartridge is held by 2 screws thru the shell, but those screws are in slots so where the cartridge mounts along those slots must be an issue? Also, anti-skating and tracking seem to be terms I remember from the past?

The receiver has a multiple selection phono cartrige switch for either mm or mc, what would the PL518 have come with? And if I have to replace, is there upgrades available, or is it all just subjective?

Also, I'm certain my LP's are dusty, filthy messes. They've been stored vertically on end in tight cardboard boxes, so I think warpage won't be a factor. Anyone use a cleaning machine? Seen the Nitty Gritty and VIP(??) pieces but they're as much as my table and receiver put together; assume they're superior to a spray/brush like the old discwasher D4?

Thanks for any help my way.

JohnMichael
07-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Going to put a strictly audio system back together, trying to use what I have in storage.

The PL518 table would still have whatever cartridge and stylus came with it when I bought it 20 - 25 years ago. How can you tell if it needs replaced (cartridge and/or stylus)? Also, since there are no shops within 100 miles, I'm guessing, it looks like any replacement and setup would be on me; for no talent or skills, is this more than I want to tackle? Looks like the cartridge is held by 2 screws thru the shell, but those screws are in slots so where the cartridge mounts along those slots must be an issue? Also, anti-skating and tracking seem to be terms I remember from the past?

The receiver has a multiple selection phono cartrige switch for either mm or mc, what would the PL518 have come with? And if I have to replace, is there upgrades available, or is it all just subjective?

Also, I'm certain my LP's are dusty, filthy messes. They've been stored vertically on end in tight cardboard boxes, so I think warpage won't be a factor. Anyone use a cleaning machine? Seen the Nitty Gritty and VIP(??) pieces but they're as much as my table and receiver put together; assume they're superior to a spray/brush like the old discwasher D4?

Thanks for any help my way.

Bringing a turntable back to life, sounds like fun. Your ttable uses a standard mount cartridge and there are many available. If you can give us an idea as to your budget one of us can give you a good idea where to start. Also there are several cartridge alignment guages you can download for free. I am not at home right now but I will add them to your thread. There are also good links about cartridge instalation information and I will add those tomorow. To set tracking force you balance the tonearm with cartridge installed by adjusting the counterweight until it floats above the record. Set the counterweight scale to zero without moving the conterweight. Once the scale reads zero then turn the entire counterweight to the recommended force. Anti skating set to the same value as tracking force. Several of us can help you through the process and I am sure you can do it.

A cheap but good record cleaning system if available is the Allsop Orbitrac record cleaning system. You spray cleaner on the pad and use the handle to move the brush around the record. The Discwasher will remove surface dust fairly well but for ground in a dirt a record cleaning machine is best.

Good luck.

traphouse
07-05-2008, 05:34 PM
JM:

Thanks for the reply.

I'm somewhat pliable regarding cost, but if the table is about $100 or so in value, would it make sense to spend more than that for a new cartridge with stylus?

Which leads me back to my original post: how do I even know if it needs replaced? I'm thinking if I have kind of scratchy, poppy sounding LP's to start with, can I tell by "sound" or is it just a time issue that anything that old must need replaced? Is "life" measured by the calendar, LP's played/useage, or is it that some like to trade-up to seek better performance?

I haven't dug the table and receiver out of storage yet so I haven't tried to play an LP to hear what comes out of the speakers (old Polk RTA-12's) but maybe tomorrow.

JohnMichael
07-05-2008, 05:44 PM
JM:

Thanks for the reply.

I'm somewhat pliable regarding cost, but if the table is about $100 or so in value, would it make sense to spend more than that for a new cartridge with stylus?

Which leads me back to my original post: how do I even know if it needs replaced? I'm thinking if I have kind of scratchy, poppy sounding LP's to start with, can I tell by "sound" or is it just a time issue that anything that old must need replaced? Is "life" measured by the calendar, LP's played/useage, or is it that some like to trade-up to seek better performance?

I haven't dug the table and receiver out of storage yet so I haven't tried to play an LP to hear what comes out of the speakers (old Polk RTA-12's) but maybe tomorrow.

Chances are that the magnet has lost strength and the suspension has stiffened through the years. Not to mention the stylus may be worn. You can buy an AudioTechnica or Grado cartridge for about $50. A nice Shure or Ortofon 2M Red for $100. If the turntable is operating and turning at the correct speed I think your records and sound will benefit from a new modern cartridge.

traphouse
07-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks, that answer makes sense to me.

One last question, if I may, am I looking for a mm or mc cartridge, or does that table only work with one type? The receiver has a selector switch for both mm and mc.

Would you have a preference as to Shure or Ortofon.

Blue Meanie
08-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks, that answer makes sense to me.

One last question, if I may, am I looking for a mm or mc cartridge, or does that table only work with one type? The receiver has a selector switch for both mm and mc.

Would you have a preference as to Shure or Ortofon.

You can use either a moving magnet or a moving coil cartridge on your turntable. And your receiver is also capable of allowing you to use either type. That being said, I'd stick with a mm cart for now. Decent mc carts are usually more costly than mm carts. Get an Audio Technica AT440MLa on Amazon for about $100, or maybe a Shure M97xE for about $65 on Amazon. JohnMichael's suggestions are excellent also.

Nice speakers, by the way. And the PL-518 is a SOLID performer, considering what it sold for in it's day.

BRowe
08-09-2009, 02:04 PM
I purchased an old Pioneer LP player and when I plug the 2 RCA plugs into any normal stereo I have no sound or it is very quiet. Am I missing another old skool component e.g. Amp? Thanks in advance for your help.

02audionoob
08-09-2009, 03:08 PM
I purchased an old Pioneer LP player and when I plug the 2 RCA plugs into any normal stereo I have no sound or it is very quiet. Am I missing another old skool component e.g. Amp? Thanks in advance for your help.

You are missing the phono stage. You need a separate preamp. See these:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LG&Category_Code=PP

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Phono-Preamps

http://www.garage-a-records.com/products.php?cat=112