B&W DM604 S3 - 22W x 2 class A tube amplifier good enough to drive them? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&W DM604 S3 - 22W x 2 class A tube amplifier good enough to drive them?

louiswcw88
07-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Want to upgrade to B&W DM 604 S3 speakers. Currently using 22W x 2 Class A tube amplifier and was told that better matching speakers with high sensitivity, Any advice to me please?

basite
07-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Hi, Welcome to AR...

B&W's are pretty power hungry...

I'd run those with more power (and most likely with SS power, since tubes don't like the big impedence swings the B&W's have...)

it's possible, but keep the volume on the lower side...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

louiswcw88
07-05-2008, 10:40 PM
thanks, so what is the best match for my tube amp.? I prefer floorstanding speakers, any advice please.

louis

basite
07-06-2008, 02:13 AM
which tube amp is it? I'd definately look for higher sensitivity speakers, depending on how loud you want to listen, maybe even horns...

maybe a Tannoy from their prestige line would do fine (depending on your budget...), but also look at Klipsch, Zinagali, ...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

RGA
07-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Not all tube amps are created equally - so it depends - generally I would go with a tube friendly speaker but if the volume is not going to be played too loud and the room isn't big - a good tube amp will still make the B&W or other LE speaker sound better.

There are standmounts out there such as mine that have deeper more powerful bass than the 604 and sound considerably better - but it also costs more. The Tannoy prestige is a good suggestion but the Kensington is 4 times the price fo the 604.

It depends on the amp/room and the rest of your gear.

PDN
08-02-2008, 06:07 PM
The B&W DM604 S3's have a minimum input requirement of 25W into 8 ohms so you're going to be below the minimum. You don't even want to be at the minimum input to maximize the speakers' performance and capability. I would recommend an amp rated at at least 75 watts/ch continuous into 8 ohms. Whether that's a tube or solid state amp is less relevant. Sensitivity on these units is 90dB so that's not bad. I almost purchased a brand new pair of the DM604 S3's but went with the DM603's instead. No regrets. I just didn't need that size speaker for my room size. They are heavy bass producers.