What specs to look for in a HDTV? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What specs to look for in a HDTV?

Mark4583
07-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Ive been looking at several HDTV's and would like to know what I should look for in makeing a decision. I see that on some of the Sony's they have 120hz display, how does this translate into picture quality and is it worth the extra bucks to get?
What other specs should I pay close attention too and what one are over rated and not so important?
im looking for a Tv around 46-50" up to about $2500, any one you think I should take a look at and any I should stay away from?
Thanks

Mr Peabody
07-05-2008, 04:56 PM
120 Hz is good and I'd recommend going that way. 120Hz display allows the set to avoid 3:2 pull down and show a stunningly smooth picture, especially on movies. It has to do with nearly all films being shot at 24 frames per second and 120Hz allowing for even number of frames. As in audio, TV specs are sometimes misleading or not standard, so I wouldn't put much weight into contrast ratio or other specs that don't mean much. The 120Hz though is more of a feature or capability that you probably want. I'd also recommend getting a TV that is 1080p and 1.3 compliant. At least 2 HDMI inputs or even more would be good. This is the connection everything is using for now and you don't want to get caught short, though there are switch boxes and if running everything through an A/V receiver you may not need as many on the TV itself.

f0rge
07-06-2008, 04:25 AM
the most important thing to do is to actually watch them, specs mean nothing if you think it looks ugly. also be aware that most a/v shops use varying sources of varying quality.

Mark4583
07-06-2008, 04:27 AM
How about with the comb filters? just comparing 4 Sony models with the 120hz , 2 had the 3D comb filter and the others has 3D Digital comb filters and around $1000 more.
Ive had a Sony Flat Screen (tube) for about 9 years now and it has that comb filters and it shines above most other tv's of its type.
does it make much diffrence between 3D and 3D digital to warant another $1000?
Thanks for the info

Mark4583
07-06-2008, 04:35 AM
Yea, what it looks like will be the number one factor before buying, I just want to be armed with some knowledge before I have some salesmen throw some terms at me that he probaly doesnt know what they mean, Knowing this will give me a idea of what type of fetures I want in my TV when I go to look.
Thanks again for the inputs

Mr Peabody
07-06-2008, 11:02 AM
I would think there is more difference in the TV's for $1k than just the type of comb filter. You'll have to compare the feature list. One may have more inputs or cable card ready, something of that nature. I'm not sure at this point what the difference in various comb filters are.

Do you know what size and technology you are going with yet?

Mr Peabody
07-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Here's a bit of information. It seems some of the features TV's have now are becoming unnecessary. The comb filter per this article is only necessary if you are using composite or RF connections. Not many who know about videophilia or using HD will use these connections. Also it seems the 120Hz feature should soon render 3:2 pulldown unnecessary.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/tv-buying-guide18.htm

Be sure to hit the "next page" button. If this article don't have all you are looking for there are plenty of other links to keep you busy. You'll be helping us next time.

Mark4583
07-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Im looking from 40-50 in LCD .
Lots of info there, thanks for the link

pixelthis
07-06-2008, 04:57 PM
I may be mistaken but I am sure you dont need 120hz FOR 24fps pixel for pixel display, although 120 hz is nice.
You do need 1080p, however.
In any even get 1080p, even tho the only source right now is Blu, 1080i from broadcasters
looks nice when "upconverted" to 1080p, and eventually everything will be 1080p,
and you will have this set for a long time.
A few more considerations, if you want large, an LED dlp of 64in or so is nice, but it has cabinet depth.
DONT GET A dlp UNLESS ITS AN LED .
Also consider Olevia, they use the silicon optix chip, and its really nice.
AND YOU CAN GET A 47" dirt cheap
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=37&name=LCD-TVs-HDTV-TV-Plasma-TVs-DLP-TV

Also notice the phillips 52" 1080p for 1499$. Not bad:1:

Mr Peabody
07-06-2008, 05:59 PM
In order to get the info straight here's a link that explains the need, or advantage of 120Hz display. Of course, you can view 24 fps or we couldn't watch movies. But to view them the picture goes through the 3:2 pull down process. 120Hz capability allows the 3:2 pull down to be avoided and a much smoother picture is displayed.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/120hz-hdtvs-the-secret-to-making-movies-look-as-smooth-as-butter-231872.php