What is, "liquid" mean? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What is, "liquid" mean?

Mr Peabody
07-03-2008, 09:15 AM
As audiophiles, enthusiasts or whatever, we have come to read and attach some interesting adjectives to describe sound. Indeed, describing sound is a difficult task. One of the more recent adjectives that is being tossed around is "liquid". It escapes my imagination as to what this could mean. Of course, the word "organic" was attached to Audio Note to describe it's character and that was the same way to me until I heard my AN DAC and then it struck me that the adjective was spot on. A synonym of organic would be natural which might help with that. So maybe I need to hear something that people feels is "liquid".

The first time I heard "liquid" was from a Krell rep to describe the newer Krell amps compared to the older models, the new amps are "more liquid". "We went for a more "liquid" sound. So one would assume "liquid" must be good. As good, or bad I guess, an impression might be of audio gear in the store, it really doesn't compare to listening to that gear in your home with other gear you are familiar with. Also, what a manufacturer feels is the bees knees may not necessarily appeal to the consumers taste. A couple example for me that come to mind is the more recent ultra high end Classe' that left me wondering what they were thinking and also the newer Krell, although not nearly to the extent of the Classe', at least the Krell was listenable to me. One of the things that attracted me to Krell back in the day and I still want in my gear is a black dark background. I described in one review of a Krell piece, "it was as if the sound stage was painted onto black velvet". I don't get that impression from the newer Krell and my assumption is, maybe, this is what is meant by "liquid". It's very hard to put into words the difference, it's like the old was, on black velvet, dark quiet and more warm in comparison, the new has more of an ora and coolness about it. My impressions are based on limited time with the newer gear.

So any thoughts on what is "liquid"? If my concept of it is close to accurate, I don't like "liquid" so much. Whether it's noise, which sometimes creates a valing effect of the music, or liquid, I don't like my sound stage to have an ora, I like the feel to be open and unrestrained. Oh, and all of that with a dark background :)

GMichael
07-03-2008, 09:23 AM
My guess is that a "liquid" sound is one that flows more than an "airy" sound.
Marketing. They sure do come up with some strange sh.t.

kexodusc
07-03-2008, 10:02 AM
My guess is that a "liquid" sound is one that flows more than an "airy" sound.
Marketing. They sure do come up with some strange sh.t.
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking - flowing - smooth, effortless...opposite of harsh and jagged?

What's next - Moh's hardness scale? The speakers exhibited a Gypsum like texture that complemented the corundum precision of the of the amplifier...

Ajani
07-03-2008, 10:29 AM
IMVHO, all these terms really don't mean much... they are just nice marketing words to differentiate between the sound of one manufacturer and its rivals... No audio manufacturer wants to admit the truth that the reason their components sound different is because ALL components are colored... And Manufacturers tailor their equipment to sound a particular way... be it warm, liquid, bright, whatever...

Some aim to be less colored than others, while some strive to add a specific type of coloration to the sound...

Now let's not ask the next question of why we use the word 'colored' to apply to sound... :)

GMichael
07-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Sound has no color.:out:

Ajani
07-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Sound has no color.:out:

If sound can be liquid, bright or warm, then why not colored???

Seriously though, what's next? The sound of my speakers is "Delicious and Arousing"???

GMichael
07-03-2008, 11:59 AM
If sound can be liquid, bright or warm, then why not colored???

Seriously though, what's next? The sound of my speakers is "Delicious and Arousing"???

Then should we eat them or.........them? Are they ported?

Ajani
07-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Then should we eat them or.........them? Are they ported?

Ported... Maybe option 2 and then option 1... hmmm or maybe the other way around...

mlsstl
07-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Sound has no color.
Actually, for some people sound has a very specific range of colors. The condition is call "synethesia" and means a "fusion of senses." These people will connect very specific colors with certain notes or sounds (or sometimes numbers, etc.) It is probably related to the way areas of the brain are mapped and is similar in nature to those who have perfect pitch.

If you've never read the book "Musicophelia" by Dr. Oliver Sachs I'd recommend it. It is a fascinating look at the way music interacts with the brain.

Ajani
07-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Actually, for some people sound has a very specific range of colors. The condition is call "synethesia" and means a "fusion of senses." These people will connect very specific colors with certain notes or sounds (or sometimes numbers, etc.) It is probably related to the way areas of the brain are mapped and is similar in nature to those who have perfect pitch.

If you've never read the book "Musicophelia" by Dr. Oliver Sachs I'd recommend it. It is a fascinating look at the way music interacts with the brain.

WT??? How dare you turn our nonsense banter into an intellectual discussion!!! Just for that you're getting a greenie!!!

mlsstl
07-03-2008, 12:21 PM
However, as to the "liquid" question, I find the term useful to describe a system that does not have grit or edge. A system with a caricatured sense of definition may sound initially impressive but I find it quickly tiring. Not to be confused with "dark" or "dull", a liquid sound for me gives a full rendering of what is on the recording but does so with a sense of ease and no overemphasis.

E-Stat
07-03-2008, 12:42 PM
However, as to the "liquid" question, I find the term useful to describe a system that does not have grit or edge. A system with a caricatured sense of definition may sound initially impressive but I find it quickly tiring.
Agreed. Audio Research components, for example, have been praised for possessing that quality (http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/898/) since the 70s.

Or another way of looking at it, liquid is 2400 dpi linotype magazine print quality as opposed to early Redbook's grainy newspaper resolution.

rw

bobsticks
07-03-2008, 08:12 PM
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking - flowing - smooth, effortless...opposite of harsh and jagged?

What's next - Moh's hardness scale? The speakers exhibited a Gypsum like texture that complemented the corundum precision of the of the amplifier...

Ye ask and ye receive...http://www.beyerdynamic.co.uk/distributorpages/novasonar/Novasonar.html

Now let's not ask the next question of why we use the word 'colored' to apply to sound...

damn racist speakers

jrhymeammo
07-04-2008, 07:12 AM
In audio, I associate a term "Liquid" with very smooth and unrestrained sound. It's all in a combination with recording and gears, but when music decays it all seem to blend in, without muddying different layers of music. I dont think it has anything to do with attacks and dynamics.
Ask RGA, he writes professional reviews now.
JRA

Bigmoney
07-04-2008, 07:31 AM
My favorite is to read what cable manufacturers have to claim about there products. Talk about major voodoo and spooky language, they must hire some of the best marketers........