Headphone set up for under 500 bucks [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Headphone set up for under 500 bucks

Bigmoney
07-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Hey guys, it's been awhile since I posted here on the forums. As many of you know from my previous posts I will be going to college next year and living in a dorm. For that reason, I have been convinced by man to go with a nice headphone rig for my dorm. Reason being I have spent a lot of time compiling a system that I would not want to be stolen or trashed down at college. Plus my room mate and neighbors may very well not like hearing my music.

I ahve a 500 dollar budget for this headphone rig. I am looking for a set of closed headphones that present the most realistics soundstage. I understand soundstaging is usually one of the biggest let downs for headphones in comparison to speakers but I am looking for the best headphones can offer. I too understand I will probably need a dac and headphone amp to run these headphones off my ipod for superior sound.

For an all inclusive budget of 500 dollars what do you think is the best I can do. I need a set of headphones, an amp, and a dac. I would be willing to raise my budget slightly if need be, but I would like for this to cost as little as possible. If I could do it for under 300 that would be great but I like good sound and understand it comes at a price. Thanks to all......

Bigmoney
07-02-2008, 09:32 AM
I was justed reading that open headphones are very good too. I thought closed were the best but aparently. So I am willing to buy open cans as well... thanks guys

captjamo
07-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Have you been to headroom.com? They sell all the good lines of phones and make their own acclaimed line of amps and DAC's. That is a tall order for your budget, but you could get the phones and amp you want and DAC a little later. Or something of the sort. I am a huge fan of Grado headphones myself. They are light, open and their sound is as punchy as silky smooth. Good sustain without rolling off highs. They are old school looking which is pretty retro cool though. They use light materials that come together as a whole to be quite durable. Must be flexed and played with to maximize comfort. Or you could go with some good Sennheisers also.

Rich-n-Texas
07-02-2008, 04:45 PM
I could never find myself in a situation where I'd be paying $500 for headphones, DACs, whatever, but that's just me.

noddin0ff
07-02-2008, 06:11 PM
It's a nice way to get a good set up in a dorm room or any place where either space/budget/noise is a problem. You can get an audiophile experience for much less than a home system would cost. I've got around $400 in a headphone+DAC/amp system and it fills a niche. I can rock out or listen critically and not bug co-workers. Plus there's a level of immersion headphones give that you can't get easily with a home system. It's just you, perhaps, but I wouldn't go dissing someones inquiry. nyah nyah nyah.

Link for headroom is http://www.headphone.com/

Bigmoney
07-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Does anyone have any reccomendations for the best cans around 250-300 or even less. i saw the akg k 701 model, senn hd600, hd 580, grado 325 which of these should I get and are there others to look at??

Rich-n-Texas
07-02-2008, 06:50 PM
...It's just you, perhaps, but I wouldn't go dissing someones inquiry. nyah nyah nyah.
You're right dude. My bad. :o

Bigmoney
07-02-2008, 07:58 PM
I forgive you Rich :14:

Rich-n-Texas
07-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Let me recommend a set of Sennheiser headphones you should NOT get: HD 212Pro "DJ 'phones". Waaaaay too much on the bass side!

audio_dude
07-02-2008, 11:46 PM
If you think the leaking sound will not be a problem, they go for any pair of Grado headphones.

I have the SR-125s (just realised I had it wrong in my sig...) but I've had some serious time with the GS-1000, RS-1 and SR-325i models.
I can't remember for the life of me what amp and dac my friend (good to know people who work in hi-fi shops :)) had them hooked up to, but all I can say is wow.

Don't worry about the price, you can usually find a pair of 325i's or RS-1 or 2's on audiogon or ebay for a relatively low price.

The senn HD 600 and 580's are very good as well, albeit slightly different sounding, but quality stuff nonetheless.

Personally I would recommend you find an established headphone dealer and give some of these a spin, see what you like. Then troll ebay and audiogon for a nice deal.

Bigmoney
07-03-2008, 04:34 AM
I don't think grados are for me. I personally listen to music to relax and take my mind of the day. From what I gather the grado's are very in-your-face cans and excel with rock music. I am loooking for something more laid back that can throw a realistic soundstage, well atleast realistic for headphones. I listed to a pair of grado s60's and didn't like them very much, I found them a bit tinny and fatiguing after only 10 minutes or so at my nearest dealer. Unfortunately he predominately sells speakers and has a few headphones; all of which are grado. I don't think grado is for me. From what I hear the senn 580 is supposed to be basically the same as the 600 in a different case. Also supposed to be a great set of cans that is more laid back which is what I am looking for. I think I will get either a pair of senns or the akg k 701 which also gets good press. Does anyone here have a preference or comparison between these two cans, and is anyone able to reccommend a nice dac/amp combo I could use. This set up will be run off my ipod.

noddin0ff
07-03-2008, 05:08 AM
I'm very happy with Senns. I posted in another recent thread some thoughts on the HD580 and HD570. For me the HD580 is where I draw the line on diminishing returns. But they go up from there. The 570s were more comfy, The sound pretty close. Haven't tried a akg.

I have an old white stick iPod shuffle and a nano from just before they got square-ish. They can't really drive the Senns. They work fine in general but it's at their limits of oomph.

I don't think you can use a DAC with an iPod... unless I've lost track of the times they don't have a digital output. I have a couple Chines DAC/Amps. I'm not a high-ender. However, compared to running off the iPod, the amp made a huge difference with regards to both amplification and using digital bitstreams. I use a Zhaolu D2.5 DAC/Amp with my HD580s.Total package should come in under $500.

markw
07-03-2008, 05:28 AM
I don't think you can use a DAC with an iPod... unless I've lost track of the times they don't have a digital output.I did a quick google and couldn't find any reference to a digital output. I think line-level is about the best you can get, and even that's not a given for all MP3 players.

And, the difference between the Senn 580 and 600 is minimal, to say the least. I didn't hear any.

Ajani
07-03-2008, 06:57 AM
I too understand I will probably need a dac and headphone amp to run these headphones off my ipod for superior sound.

Ipods don't have digital outputs... The only way you can get a digital signal out of your ipod is to mod it... Wadia has a 'digital' ipod dock (way out of your price range)... and what Wadia does is that they mod your ipod when you buy the Wadia dock...

If you have a computer in your dorm then you can always use a USB headphone amp...

Perhaps the Firestone Fubar 3 for $220:

http://www.audiophileproducts.com/fubar3

& a pair of Senns or AKG...

GMichael
07-03-2008, 07:52 AM
$500 for headphones? And someone said that budget is a little tight?! Holey smokes! I have a cheap set of Senns that set me back a whopping $20. To me they sound pretty darn good. I can't imagine how good a $500+ set must sound like. But I guess if they are going to be your main system for several semesters, I can't blame you for wanting them to be special.

Ajani
07-03-2008, 08:12 AM
$500 for headphones? And someone said that budget is a little tight?! Holey smokes! I have a cheap set of Senns that set me back a whopping $20. To me they sound pretty darn good. I can't imagine how good a $500+ set must sound like.

Keep in mind that a number of Headphone Amps cost $500 or more, as do Headphones...

But I guess if they are going to be your main system for several semesters, I can't blame you for wanting them to be special.

Yep... agreed

noddin0ff
07-03-2008, 09:03 AM
You're right dude. My bad. :o

I'm waiting for the next SVI too. No harm, no foul.

captjamo
07-03-2008, 10:38 AM
It's a nice way to get a good set up in a dorm room or any place where either space/budget/noise is a problem. You can get an audiophile experience for much less than a home system would cost. I've got around $400 in a headphone+DAC/amp system and it fills a niche. I can rock out or listen critically and not bug co-workers. Plus there's a level of immersion headphones give that you can't get easily with a home system. It's just you, perhaps, but I wouldn't go dissing someones inquiry. nyah nyah nyah.

:thumbsup: Thanks, Iban Noddinoff. You weren't :sleep: that time. Caught me being lazy and not posting the link for headroom http:/www.headphone.com/

captjamo
07-03-2008, 10:45 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks, Iban Noddinoff. You weren't :sleep: that time. Caught me being lazy and not posting the link for headroom http:/www.headphone.com/

Bigmoney
07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Good praise on the senns..... Any comment of the AKG'S on how they compare to the senns? Another question. Would I be better off buying a cheap portable cd player and running my headphone amp off that or even getting say the marantz 5001 cd player and using the headphone jack to run my cans instead of doing it all off the pod. Anyone have experience in comparing ipods versus cd players for headphones......

noddin0ff
07-03-2008, 11:06 AM
What format is your music going to be in? If your using an iPod, it's on your computer anyway. And, if you're going to college it's probably safe to assume you have a computer. If you're not needing portability, get a USB DAC/Amp. I'd start here as a baseline for comparison
http://www.pacificvalve.us/DIYEDENSV04.html
Or try your computers soundcard first and see if it's sufficient.

If you're planning on walking around campus with big cans on your head, stick with the iPod. Walking around with a CD player will just make you look like a dork (and 'course walking around with big ol' Senns on your head will only reinforce that impression). You can get a pocket sized, battery powered headphone amp but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you'd also like to have a social life.

Bigmoney
07-03-2008, 01:00 PM
My music will probably have to be in apple lossless. Still, I am waiting to hear if anyone likes the akg 701.......
For walking around on campus I'll probably get cheap skull candy earphones and just hook them into my ipod. Your right.....I like having friends :p. Whatever I get for critical listening does not have to be portable as I will only use it in my dorm. Come on how am I going to meet any ladies with giant Senn's on my head??

Bigmoney
07-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Let me add, I already own the audio technica ATH-M40 fs headphones. While these only go for about 80 bucks many people say they sound better than their price suggestes ( doesnt everyone say that about everything??). Do you think I might be better off just getting a nice amp for these babies or should I drop them totally.

jrhymeammo
07-03-2008, 05:14 PM
It's all a matter of taste.....

A pair of AKG 701 is very good. To me, they do very well at creating more of pin point imaging, but do not offer very big/wide sound. But SQ is very good.

You really must add Audio Technica to your list, if you love Senns more than Grado. Get a pair of ATH-AD500 or ATH-AD700. 700 is a great pair, but may not prefer the color. It's more on pink side than purple.
Their CloseBacked design models, such as A700 offers great sound, but I dont like how alot of closed designs produce bass. They seem to suck midrange and up. They do seem to sound a little deeper.

Will you be using this with a CDP or PC?

JRA

Bigmoney
07-03-2008, 05:35 PM
PC and Ipod

jrhymeammo
07-03-2008, 05:56 PM
PX-200. Word of advice, don't bring anything too expensive to dorms. You either break it, get it stolen, or end up trading it for a bag of whatever that's available...

JRA

Bigmoney
07-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Haha good point JR. Do you have any idea of places that might be good to go to and listen myself. Thats probably the best approach. How can I locate places that will have a good selection to listen to?

audio_dude
07-03-2008, 07:13 PM
if you go with something not too leaky the library might be a nice choice.

Bigmoney
07-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Oh I meant any idea of places that would carry a wide variety of headphones for me to audition...

mzisman4
07-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Sorry--I didnt sit and read through all the previous posts but...

I am also leaving for college next year and researched your exact question.
I was able to sample a couple of open cans and IMO, the leaked sound would be very annoying. Also depends on the size of your dorm room i guess.

I went with the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9. It is a closed can for just under $300.00. I have been very happy with them and am in the tail end of burn-in. What I like most was that they are adequately powered off an ipod headphone jack or laptop. I was on a tighter budget so picking up an amp/dac wasn't a reality.

Not sure what you are looking for in terms of amps/dacs (full-size vs portable) but they are said to work extremely well with the Minibox-E which I belive is just a portable amp. I have not had a chance to demo any amps but I have also heard great things about the ibasso boa d2. It is a portable amp/dac for under 200.00

EDIT: You will need to buy an LOD for your ipod in order to run it on an amp

Hope this helps. Just my reccommendation. If you would like anything else, pm.

mzisman4
07-31-2008, 11:03 PM
oh...forgot to mention. Dunno about your area, but I found that when you start to shop for high-end headphones, vendors are limited, and those that do sell them, will special order them with a "no return" policy.

Be sure what you order is what you want...or check out the used gear on head-fi or head-case

jimbolia
08-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Your Audio Technica M40's are wonderful cans! In my opinion you would need to spend lots of cash to get much better. I own the 40's and the ADH AD700s. The 700's I do like more just because they seem to have a spaciousness about them.
If you are looking for a kick a** amp for them try an old Marantz 2245 or other in that series.You can find them cheap and kill two birds with one stone. Great with loudspeakers or cans. Just my two cents.

jrhymeammo
08-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Your Audio Technica M40's are wonderful cans! In my opinion you would need to spend lots of cash to get much better. I own the 40's and the ADH AD700s. The 700's I do like more just because they seem to have a spaciousness about them.
If you are looking for a kick a** amp for them try an old Marantz 2245 or other in that series.You can find them cheap and kill two birds with one stone. Great with loudspeakers or cans. Just my two cents.

Ah!! Finally we haved someone who owns a pair of ADH-AD.
They are the most comfortable pair I have ever tried.
Unlike Grado, they are not bright and stale. I still can't believe they are still fly under everyone's radar.

mrbrad
08-14-2008, 05:50 AM
I concur with "keep it cheap" strategy. I wold recommend Senn PX100, NOT PX200. The 200 is closed, but if you can't get a good fit, they have no bass at all. The 100 is much better, $40 or so, comfortable, great for your use.