Selling Like "warmcakes" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Selling Like "warmcakes"

pixelthis
07-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Richs thread on DLP is closed so I thought I would open one of my own.
I have called DLP "dead" but if anything can revive it its the LED light engine.
Now Richie is hardly partial, being a TEXAS INSTRUMENT employee, and their well being

nessesary for Rich's continued "richieness", but I have to admit that the DLP picture is a good one, and not having a color wheel, light bulb with mercury in it, or other gimcracks
makes it even more appealing.
Unlike the older models , this one does have a market, mainly those who are HT
enthusiasts and want a nice pic with a lot of real estate and are not too concerned with
having a flat screen.
The price is still a bit high, funny to say about such a large set for 2400 bucks, but
my bro has a 42" plasma (samsung) that cost 897.
Thats todays world. Other than that the only other hurdle is the WAF, a lot of guys are getting HT these days because the old sperm bank likes the "look" of a panel hanging on the wall, the newer DLP sets are quite thin (18") but is that thin enough?
In any event, good luck with this one, its another option for the consumer.
And the only option for those who crave a big pic but have no place for
a projection setup.
So Rich, gonna float old Pixie a loan? :1:

Rich-n-Texas
07-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Richs thread on DLP is closed...
Kinda like bait-n-switch. :ihih: Actually I closed it because there's a 72" version out there, so the impact wasn't what I wanted it to be.

I have called DLP "dead" but if anything can revive it its the LED light engine.
Look everybody! Pix is ADMITTING he's wrong!

So Rich, gonna float old Pixie a loan? :1:
He's even ADMITTING that he's old!

pixelthis
07-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Kinda like bait-n-switch. :ihih: Actually I closed it because there's a 72" version out there, so the impact wasn't what I wanted it to be.

If you're running a drive in theater that would be fine

Look everybody! Pix is ADMITTING he's wrong!

OH, if only I were. The tech head loves the idea of thousands of tiny mirrors dancing
in my monitor, delivering por- er movies in stunning color thanks to a LED light engine.
But you have to sell these to real people, most of who will take one look and say "duh"... how're you gonna hang it on the wall?
DLP isnt dead quite yet, and this major "heart operation " may very well be too little too late.
my statement that DLP was dead pissed you off I know, what you dont understand is that that was an obsevation based on fact of the matter, and little has changed.
Most want a flat screen, its as simple as that.
Heck, I even considered a DLP, would be great for someone who could take care of it, a cheap way to get screen real estate on the cheap(which is another bit of evidence that
its in trouble, a bigger screen is cheaper, much like plasma)
But most have trouble taking care of a gold fish, and will blame the short bulb life, etc on the tech.
LED (and laser from Mitshubishi later this year) will be a vallant effort, but honestly most wont pay any attention.
the march edition of PC mag from last year said that the war was over, and LCD won,
and I see no reason to disagree with that.
But it would be nice if rptv dlp style found a nich so that us poormouths could afford
an actual HT sized screen without trying to find a place to put a projector or breaking the bank. But the facts say no, wont happen.
There will still be a healthy market for front projection, which DLP excells at, but this
is relatively small, not everybody wants such a large picture, and if they wont put up with a rptv because its 18" deep they sure wont put up with a room eating front projector.
So while LED and other tech might be a short repreive, I AM AFRAID THAT DLP
will be "marching into the light" instead of being ressurected by a new type of light.
sorry

He's even ADMITTING that he's old!
Maybe a little creaky, but can still swat flies better than a young whippersnapper like
you

So as far as DLP, my view is as follows, doesnt mean that the dead will rise, I just
hope so :1:

GMichael
07-03-2008, 05:16 AM
If you're running a drive in theater that would be fine

OH, if only I were. The tech head loves the idea of thousands of tiny mirrors dancing
in my monitor, delivering por- er movies in stunning color thanks to a LED light engine.
But you have to sell these to real people, most of who will take one look and say "duh"... how're you gonna hang it on the wall?
DLP isnt dead quite yet, and this major "heart operation " may very well be too little too late.
my statement that DLP was dead pissed you off I know, what you dont understand is that that was an obsevation based on fact of the matter, and little has changed.
Most want a flat screen, its as simple as that.
Heck, I even considered a DLP, would be great for someone who could take care of it, a cheap way to get screen real estate on the cheap(which is another bit of evidence that
its in trouble, a bigger screen is cheaper, much like plasma)
But most have trouble taking care of a gold fish, and will blame the short bulb life, etc on the tech.
LED (and laser from Mitshubishi later this year) will be a vallant effort, but honestly most wont pay any attention.
the march edition of PC mag from last year said that the war was over, and LCD won,
and I see no reason to disagree with that.
But it would be nice if rptv dlp style found a nich so that us poormouths could afford
an actual HT sized screen without trying to find a place to put a projector or breaking the bank. But the facts say no, wont happen.
There will still be a healthy market for front projection, which DLP excells at, but this
is relatively small, not everybody wants such a large picture, and if they wont put up with a rptv because its 18" deep they sure wont put up with a room eating front projector.
So while LED and other tech might be a short repreive, I AM AFRAID THAT DLP
will be "marching into the light" instead of being ressurected by a new type of light.
sorry

Maybe a little creaky, but can still swat flies better than a young whippersnapper like
you

So as far as DLP, my view is as follows, doesnt mean that the dead will rise, I just
hope so :1:

Most people mount their projectors to the ceiling. A lot of my friends walk right under mine and don't know it's their till I point it out. Don't count DLP out just yet. It won't vanish anytime soon.

bobsticks
07-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I never understood the phrase "selling like hotcakes". Maybe I'm hangin' out at the wrong breakfast joints...

pixelthis
07-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Most people mount their projectors to the ceiling. A lot of my friends walk right under mine and don't know it's their till I point it out. Don't count DLP out just yet. It won't vanish anytime soon.

Or until it falls on their head.
DLP was paid for by the military, TEXAS INSTRUMENT TYPES fantasized about
a proprietary tech that was practically free to develope, since you and I PAID FOR IT.
and whether or not it "vanishes" totally depends on the projector market, because
console monitor buyers are totally oblivious to it, most dont even know the difference between LCD and PLASMA.
But they do know what they want, and thats flat, as flat as possible, flat is in.
People in this hobby buy monitors for completely different reasons than the great unwashed.
For the enthusiast its "pq", for them its BRIGHTNESS, lack of glare, and lately,
FLATNESS.
Why do you think every set sold in the last few decades had teh contrast set to "torch"
mode? IN SPITE OF PROTESTS from hobbyists?
Because manufacturers knew what most buyers wanted.
AND IT GETS WORSE, wait until OLED gets ramped up. Talk about flat, try one sixtheenth of an INCH.
AND AN AMAZING PIC to boot.
Afraid that DLP will be a technological footnote not too long from now.
The people still building them are just trying to recoup investment, nobody is talking about "getting into" it.
And you GM, you arent a "projector guy" even though you have one, you are a BIG PICTURE guy, a front projector is the only way for you to do so.
WHAT ABOUT YOUR PROJECTOR WHEN YOU CAN UNROLL a ten foot dia screen
and stick it on a wall?
Or paint a wall and let nanos organize the pixels(closer than you think).
In the tech graveyard DLP has a place reserved, right next to HD DVD and the eight track,
the undertaker is waiting, whitling on a piece of wood, ready to throw dirt over the corpse.
SORRY, just the way it is.
FLAT is so important that JVC even put out a semi-flat LCOS that you could hang on the wall, but it had geometric distortion.
And wasnt flat enough.
Flat is only bad if you're a boobie guy:1:

Luvin Da Blues
07-04-2008, 03:33 AM
I never understood the phrase "selling like hotcakes". Maybe I'm hangin' out at the wrong breakfast joints...
SELL LIKE HOT CAKES - "Hot cakes cooked in bear grease or pork lard were popular from earliest times in American. First made of cornmeal, the griddle cakes or pancakes were of course best when served piping hot and were often sold at church benefits, fairs, and other functions. So popular were they that by the beginning of the 19th century 'to sell like hot cakes' was a familiar expression for anything that sold very quickly effortlessly, and in quantity." From "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997)

pixelthis
07-06-2008, 04:44 PM
At any rate, it certainly hope not but most likely , for DLP, ITS GONNA BE :1:

GMichael
07-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Or until it falls on their head.
DLP was paid for by the military, TEXAS INSTRUMENT TYPES fantasized about
a proprietary tech that was practically free to develope, since you and I PAID FOR IT.
and whether or not it "vanishes" totally depends on the projector market, because
console monitor buyers are totally oblivious to it, most dont even know the difference between LCD and PLASMA.
But they do know what they want, and thats flat, as flat as possible, flat is in.
People in this hobby buy monitors for completely different reasons than the great unwashed.
For the enthusiast its "pq", for them its BRIGHTNESS, lack of glare, and lately,
FLATNESS.
Why do you think every set sold in the last few decades had teh contrast set to "torch"
mode? IN SPITE OF PROTESTS from hobbyists?
Because manufacturers knew what most buyers wanted.
AND IT GETS WORSE, wait until OLED gets ramped up. Talk about flat, try one sixtheenth of an INCH.
AND AN AMAZING PIC to boot.
Afraid that DLP will be a technological footnote not too long from now.
The people still building them are just trying to recoup investment, nobody is talking about "getting into" it.
And you GM, you arent a "projector guy" even though you have one
Two accually , you are a BIG PICTURE guy, a front projector is the only way for you to do so.
WHAT ABOUT YOUR PROJECTOR WHEN YOU CAN UNROLL a ten foot dia screen
and stick it on a wall?
Or paint a wall and let nanos organize the pixels(closer than you think).
In the tech graveyard DLP has a place reserved, right next to HD DVD and the eight track,
the undertaker is waiting, whitling on a piece of wood, ready to throw dirt over the corpse.
SORRY, just the way it is.
FLAT is so important that JVC even put out a semi-flat LCOS that you could hang on the wall, but it had geometric distortion.
And wasnt flat enough.
Flat is only bad if you're a boobie guy:1:

You could hang a 50 pound weight on our projector. It won't budge.

You left out something else the "great unwashed" as you call them, like a quallity picture at a fair price.
Also, you seem to have rambled a bit. Can you back off of the meds before you post next time? I think I got a buzz reading your post.

pixelthis
07-07-2008, 11:26 PM
MEDS?
What on earth are you talkin bout willis?:1:

Rich-n-Texas
07-08-2008, 10:59 AM
You are talented.

pixelthis
07-08-2008, 11:55 PM
You are talented.

THATS what my women tell me.:1:

Auricauricle
07-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Most people mount their projectors to the ceiling.

Please do NOT mount your projector!! If it not in the mood, your OAO will turn into a lightning rod faster than a slippery-n-slick-snotrag-in-a-snowstorm!

Coudn't resist....:biggrin5:

GMichael
07-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Please do NOT mount your projector!! If it not in the mood, your OAO will turn into a lightning rod faster than a slippery-n-slick-snotrag-in-a-snowstorm!

Coudn't resist....:biggrin5:

And that bulb gets so very hot!:yikes:

bobsticks
07-09-2008, 11:25 AM
SELL LIKE HOT CAKES - "Hot cakes cooked in bear grease or pork lard were popular from earliest times in American. First made of cornmeal, the griddle cakes or pancakes were of course best when served piping hot and were often sold at church benefits, fairs, and other functions. So popular were they that by the beginning of the 19th century 'to sell like hot cakes' was a familiar expression for anything that sold very quickly effortlessly, and in quantity." From "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997)

Ah, it's a generational thang. Not having been around at the turn of the 19th century I can't relate when you old folks start using outdated idiomatic speech.

Hey, I thought you liked Gwyneth?

Auricauricle
07-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Wasso wrong about outdated idiomatic speech? This from the Local Anachronist!*

*(Don't tell anybody: I look for outdated dictionaries and obscure referecne books. The smell of old paper and leather gets to me...).

Gwyneth? Nah...How 'bout Deborah Kara Unger?

pixelthis
07-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Ah, it's a generational thang. Not having been around at the turn of the 19th century I can't relate when you old folks start using outdated idiomatic speech.

For us leg guys who appreciate a "real woman" its ALWAYS
gonna be Gwynnie :1:

pixelthis
07-09-2008, 10:40 PM

AND none of us were around then.
They hide that info in books.
Ever heard about those?
Like one long text message, except on pieces of paper bound together:1:

Luvin Da Blues
07-10-2008, 03:52 AM
Ah, it's a generational thang. Not having been around at the turn of the 19th century I can't relate when you old folks start using outdated idiomatic speech

Oh' the innocence of youth. Now sonny be a good lad and bring me my Geratol (sp?) please.

Auricauricle
07-10-2008, 06:26 AM
Oh' the innocence of youth. Now sonny be a good lad and bring me my Geratol (sp?) please.

Hey, Scooter, you wanna chase that with some Ovalteen?

Luvin Da Blues
07-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Hey, Scooter, you wanna chase that with some Ovalteen?

Bwahahaha...At my age I don't chase anything.

Auricauricle
07-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Bwahahaha...At my age I don't chase anything.

Better put some training wheels on that walker, man....

Geeze, a Micro Seiki TT. Gawdamighty, I remember those platters and motors and strings 'n' such way back in the day over in Akihabara....I'm gettin' green thinkin' about it!

Luvin Da Blues
07-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Better put some training wheels on that walker, man....

Geeze, a Micro Seiki TT. Gawdamighty, I remember those platters and motors and strings 'n' such way back in the day over in Akihabara....I'm gettin' green thinkin' about it!

Jus havin some fun, I ain't dat old...I think. I've still have quite a few sunrises before I turn 50. Damn, now I am feelin old...

I picked up this vintage Micro Seiki deck last year new in the box. It's just your basic manual BD TT but it does has the MS build quality.

Cheers Grazhoppa

LDB

Auricauricle
07-10-2008, 06:37 PM
I ain't far behind....B'sides, I'm jus' an ol' Carolina Bug....

Worf101
07-11-2008, 07:02 AM
No DLP is certainly not dead. I almost bought one but felt it would be just a tad too large for my room and while the LED DLP's lood great they're just a notch below Samsung's current top of the line LCD's. But you can't beat their size for the buck price point.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
07-11-2008, 10:46 AM
No DLP is certainly not dead. I almost bought one but felt it would be just a tad too large for my room and while the LED DLP's lood great they're just a notch below Samsung's current top of the line LCD's. But you can't beat their size for the buck price point.

Da Worfster
Oh geez! Wait'll pixe reads this. :thumbsup:

I think this could be a good matchup. The Sir T. vs. pixelthis battle is growing a little long in the tooth, so maybe this one will stimulate a swelling of the membership base. :yesnod:

Auricauricle
07-11-2008, 11:19 AM
And I get the wagging finger to have the temerity to suggest that we a'philes get in "pig contests"??

bobsticks
07-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Wasso wrong about outdated idiomatic speech? This from the Local Anachronist!*

*(Don't tell anybody: I look for outdated dictionaries and obscure referecne books. The smell of old paper and leather gets to me...).

Gwyneth? Nah...How 'bout Deborah Kara Unger?

Hey, I represent that comment...now excuse me while I pick up my pride and my Alexander The Great chainmail and head over to the Milkshake Stand for my date with Pinky Tuscadero.

( I won't tell. I like historical works on Stalin's reign of terror and the Meiji Restoration...might enduce some melancholia in your line of work though.)

bobsticks
07-11-2008, 03:10 PM
AND none of us were around then.
They hide that info in books.
Ever heard about those?
Like one long text message, except on pieces of paper bound together:1:

I'll try to edumacate myself.

pixelthis
07-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Oh geez! Wait'll pixe reads this. :thumbsup:

I think this could be a good matchup. The Sir T. vs. pixelthis battle is growing a little long in the tooth, so maybe this one will stimulate a swelling of the membership base. :yesnod:

Sorry rich, looks like another missed sale for your beloved TI.
One things for sure, if (and its a big un) DLP is to surrive it will be because of dedicated HT types who see the value, and a dedicated manufacturer, kinda like Pioneer kept laserdisc on life support for years.
OTHERWISE , looks like ...