Some classical recommendations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Some classical recommendations

Feanor
07-01-2008, 05:41 PM
I got a request for some classical recommendations from our member, frenchmon, and promised him to send some along. I decided to share them with everyone here too. Accordingly see Feanor's Thirty Classical Recommendations. (http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/Feanor_Recommendations.html)

The recommended recordings are not necessarily the "best" for the composition, just a decent one that I am familiar with. In reality I'm no performance aficionado.

{EDIT} No doubt some people will note my inclusion of several contemporary works and question whether there aren't many time-proven, "classic" classics that might have been included instead on such a short list. Well I say (a) its my list and I like contemporary classical, and (b) people ought to know that, if classical music is "dead white men's music", and least the composers haven't been dead for as long as they suppose.

bobsticks
07-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Gracias, Bill Bailey, I was looking for some ideas fo chamber music...and you were right on time.

Mr Peabody
07-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Where they at? Was there supposed to be a link or do I go some place else?

Got any Adagio Trio?

Feanor
07-02-2008, 02:24 AM
I got a request for some classical recommendations from our member, frenchmon, and promised him to send some along. I decided to share them with everyone here too. Accordingly see Feanor's Thirty Classical Recommendations. (http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/Feanor_Recommendations.html)

The recommended recordings are not necessarily the "best" for the composition, just a decent one that I am familiar with. In reality I'm no performance aficionado.

Looks like the link I meant to provided wasn't working -- but it is now. :p

kexodusc
07-02-2008, 03:28 AM
Heh heh...I feel like I'm collecting baseball cards again...."got it, got it, need it"...

What? No John Williams? :)

Feanor
07-02-2008, 05:41 AM
Heh heh...I feel like I'm collecting baseball cards again...."got it, got it, need it"...

What? No John Williams? :)

Here's a Williams piece I quite like; just so happens it's not from a movie

Bernd
07-02-2008, 05:51 AM
...for the list.
After a few classical discs from fellow RR members and my recent gift of the John Tavener record my interest in the classical stuff has increased. From your list I own the Carl Orff and the Dvorak, so nowhere near in Kex's league. That's it, I am ashamed to admit, but I will put that right and your list is a good starting point I guess.

Peace

shokhead
07-02-2008, 06:11 AM
On another forum i asked about a sacd of classical hits{or a greatest hits type}. The ones most have heard even if they don't listen to classical. I was told there is no such thing as a greatest hits.

Feanor
07-02-2008, 06:40 AM
On another forum i asked about a sacd of classical hits{or a greatest hits type}. The ones most have heard even if they don't listen to classical. I was told there is no such thing as a greatest hits.

I dare say it would be possible to come up with a list that meets your criteiron, as you say, "The ones most have heard even if they don't listen to classical", However I certainly wouldn't waste my time or anyone else's since the content would be pretty banal.

My own list of "250 Core Classical", see below, is, IMHO, a decent survey of the classical genre -- granted no two classical music lovers would come up with the same list.

bobsticks
07-02-2008, 10:28 AM
My own list of "250 Core Classical", see below, is, IMHO, a decent survey of the classical genre -- granted no two classical music lovers would come up with the same list.

Ha! I was using the Core Classical assuming you were having some kinda senior moment...when in truth I was having some kinda idiot moment...hehehe

Actually, I'm diggin' 'em both.

Feanor
07-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Ha! I was using the Core Classical assuming you were having some kinda senior moment...when in truth I was having some kinda idiot moment...hehehe

Actually, I'm diggin' 'em both.

... are all too common for me, but then I've earned them. :sad:

Rich-n-Texas
07-02-2008, 11:32 AM
I agree with Beetle Bailey above. Just look at his outdated politcal views! :lol:

:p

Rich-n-Texas
07-02-2008, 11:34 AM
shokhead, I think a better term to use might be a compilation of Classical music on SACD.

Mr Peabody
07-02-2008, 06:36 PM
I too like Borodin a lot. The Ancient Music Society has an excellent recording of Mozart's 5 violin Concertos on a 2 disc set. Disappointed not to see my fav, Vivaldi on the list. I've liked everything I've heard by Vivaldi so far. I am interested in checking out some of the suggested choral. I've got a choral piece on a Tchaikowski that I like and I really like the soundtrack to the movie The Choir, it's very good but has a bit of a dark feel to it.

Shokhead, some might snub but I found the Time Life series on Classical very good. The best thing I could recommend for beginner Classical interests and those wanting maybe a "greatest hits". My friend subscribed to them and I started borrowing them and got into stuff I liked, The discs came in almost a small book that gave good info on the artist and music. That's how I got turned onto Borodin. Another suggestion would be to look for comp discs that gave examples from a certain artist or period. For example, I love Baroque, it's my preferred Classical listening, I found some used discs I picked up that cover that period but are various artists. Also, be careful to stick with familiar labels, I've found some budget discs and Classical is not immune to the occasional stinker.

Any suggestions for an audiophile recording of Beethoven's 5th? I can't believe how difficult this order is to fill. I have a few recordings and one is even on the Sony label and I'm not satisfied with any. As a side note, I personally feel Beethoven is overrated.

Feanor
07-03-2008, 02:42 AM
[quote=Mr Peabody]....

If you want a very different but IMO very fine performance of the 5th, try this "HIP" version by Bruno Weil and the Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra (http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphonies-Nos-5-6/dp/B0007ORE0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1215081486&sr=1-1). The accompanying 6th is really outstanding IMO. And yes, I would say the sound is better than the Kleiber version if a bit "back of the hall". Beware, though, that not everyone approves of "historically informed performance" of Beethoven in general nor this one in particular.

Mr Peabody
07-03-2008, 07:35 AM
Feanor, have you heard any of the Ancient Music Society recordings? If not, I recommend them, not only do they sound good, the instruments of the period I feel give the recording a nice feel, especially different tone to the harpsichord. If so, do you like them?

emaidel
07-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Any suggestions for an audiophile recording of Beethoven's 5th? I can't believe how difficult this order is to fill. I have a few recordings and one is even on the Sony label and I'm not satisfied with any. As a side note, I personally feel Beethoven is overrated.

Try the DSD/SACD 2-channel remaster of the original Soundstream recording on Telarc of the 5th with the Boston symphony conducted by Seiji Ozawa. As a "bonus," you get the 5th piano concerto with Rudolf Serkin on the piano, and Ozawa conducting again. Two older Telarc discs beautifully remastered onto SACD for the price of one. And, if you don't have an SACD player, the CD layer alone is a huge improvement over the older redbook versions.

Also, I for one, can't agree with your statement that "Beethoven is overrated." No way, sir.

Feanor
07-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Feanor, have you heard any of the Ancient Music Society recordings? If not, I recommend them, not only do they sound good, the instruments of the period I feel give the recording a nice feel, especially different tone to the harpsichord. If so, do you like them?

Mr. P,

Actually I haven't heard that group -- or of them for that matter. Perchance would you be thinking of the Academy of Ancient Music (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=41:9269~T1), music director, Christopher Hogwood?

Mr Peabody
07-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Mr. P,

Actually I haven't heard that group -- or of them for that matter. Perchance would you be thinking of the Academy of Ancient Music (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=41:9269~T1), music director, Christopher Hogwood?

I pulled Vivaldi's Four Season's and Mozart's Violin Concertos and both are done by the Academy. Both of these are on my favorite Classical list. For one, I really like violin and Baroque, another, these are very good recordings. I was just curious to see what a dedicated Classical listener thought of them.

I will check the recs for the 5th. Telarc has been consistent with satisfying recordings to me.

Feanor
07-03-2008, 11:51 AM
I pulled Vivaldi's Four Season's and Mozart's Violin Concertos and both are done by the Academy. Both of these are on my favorite Classical list. For one, I really like violin and Baroque, another, these are very good recordings. I was just curious to see what a dedicated Classical listener thought of them.

I will check the recs for the 5th. Telarc has been consistent with satisfying recordings to me.

I do believe I have Hogwood's Four Seasons (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=43:18327). I'm not trained to evaluate the performance from performer's perspective but I recall that it's quite good for a listener's. Perhaps I'll have a listen this evening. The sound is clean and detailed but a bit bright as I recall. I have at least one other Four Seasons by Trevor Pinnock & the Baroque Consert (http://www.amazon.com/Ludwig-van-Beethoven-Pastorale-Christopher/dp/B00000E3QB/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1215114561&sr=1-5).; (my version is the original, not the remastered).

I have a Hogwood Beethoven Symphony too; this Sixth (http://www.amazon.com/Ludwig-van-Beethoven-Pastorale-Christopher/dp/B00000E3QB/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1215114561&sr=1-5) I think. As I recall it's not my favorite version -- I much prefer the Weil / Tafelmusik I mentioned earlier. Maybe one should stay in the Baroque era with Hogwood.

Mr Peabody
07-03-2008, 04:59 PM
I was talking mainly from a listener perspective. There's no way I could begin to evaluate the performance. They could get by with a lot by me. I don't recall the Hogwoods being bright. I think they may be more near mic opposed to a lot of Classical I've heard. I tend to like that though. I agree though that this style of recording and playing is better suited for Concertos, not so much for full symphony.

bobsticks
07-03-2008, 08:06 PM

...for the intrusion gents, but if classical compositions played on period instruments are of interest may I recommend Martin Pearlam and the Boston Baroque? Released primarily on Telarc much of the series is in glorious hi-rez SACD. Some tasteful choices I'd add, "J.S. Bach: The Complete Orchestral Works", "Mozart's The Impressario/singspiel, The Beneficent Dervish", and "Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks/Water Music" which shall surely get some playtime 'round here on the morrow.

http://mgn.musicgiants.com/AlbumDetails.aspx?ALBUM=94854

Asterix77
07-06-2008, 03:21 AM
I know this topic has been quiet for 3 months but I would like recommend some music/ recordings.

Bach - Mattheus Passion - either the recording of Ton Koopman (93) with the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra or Philippe Herreweghe (old and new) with his Collegium Vocale

Händel - Messiah - William Christie - Les Arts Florissant, best Messiah performence I know (Hogwood is pretty good too)

Mozart - Requiem - William Christie

Purcell - Dido and Aeneas - Hogwood

Bach Catatas (any) - Masaaki Suzuki Bach Collegium Japan

Vivaldi - Four Seasons, I prefer Andrew Manze

Mozart - Piano concerto no20 and 24
No recording recommended

Mendelssohn - Hebriden's Ouverture
Mendelssohn - A midsummer nights dream
No recording recommended

Bach - Ciaconne form Violin partita no2

None of the above mentioned recordings are SACD as I do not own a sacd player.

Feanor
07-06-2008, 03:50 AM
I know this topic has been quiet for 3 months but I would like recommend some music/ recordings.

Bach - Mattheus Passion - either the recording of Ton Koopman (93) with the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra or Philippe Herreweghe (old and new) with his Collegium Vocale

Händel - Messiah - William Christie - Les Arts Florissant, best Messiah performence I know (Hogwood is pretty good too)

Mozart - Requiem - William Christie

Purcell - Dido and Aeneas - Hogwood

Bach Catatas (any) - Masaaki Suzuki Bach Collegium Japan

Vivaldi - Four Seasons, I prefer Andrew Manze

Mozart - Piano concerto no20 and 24
No recording recommended

Mendelssohn - Hebriden's Ouverture
Mendelssohn - A midsummer nights dream
No recording recommended

Bach - Ciaconne form Violin partita no2

None of the above mentioned recordings are SACD as I do not own a sacd player.

I think those are extremely good recommendations. Were I to expand my "thirty" recommendations even a bit, I would include at least several of these works.

(But note I started this particular thread only at the beginning of the month.)

Asterix77
07-06-2008, 06:30 AM
I think those are extremely good recommendations. Were I to expand my "thirty" recommendations even a bit, I would include at least several of these works.

(But note I started this particular thread only at the beginning of the month.)

Oops...haha yes I see...
I thought February 2008, forgive me my mistake about the date notation...I'm european..we change day and month:blush2:

But anyway it was just a small list...and as you can see mainly Baroque, Classical and early Romantic period.
I could also recommend some organ music, but I know from experience it's not easy listening when you want an introduction to classical music.
There are close friends who I easily can chase out of my house with some serious organ music :D

Asterix77
07-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Ok, at the risc of being over-enthousiastic...some extra recommendations...

Mozart - Symphonies no 39 (jupiter) & 40 - A lot of good recordings.
2 of my recommended recordings are Ton Koopman (Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra) and Jaap Ter Linden (Mozart Akademie Amsterdam), not sure if it's available outside Europe.

Rossini - Messe Solenelle
Rossini - Stabat Mater
No recording recommended

Beethoven - Symphonie no 9 (the famous one beside the 5th) - Philippe Herreweghe
Highly recommended performence and recording!

Brahms - Ein Deutsches Requiem - Guiseppe Sinopoli
Highly recommended performence!

Buxtehude - Cantatas BuxWV41, 34, 79, 50, 31, 10 - Konrad Junghänel, Cantus Cölln.

Saint-Saëns - Symphonie no3 (organ symphonie)

Chopin - Piano Concerto no1 and no2 - Highly recommended!
Yevgeni Kissin or Pires

Bach - Johannes Passion (St John's passion)
Bach - Hohe Messe (Mass in b-minor)
Bach - Violin concerto's - Andrew Manze
Well, actually everything from Bach, no easy listening, but rewarding.

Vivaldi - Stabat Mater - Chiara Banchini, Andreas Scholl

Pergolesi - Stabat Mater - Rousset, Scholl, Bonney

And for the brave one, try some organ works.
Mendelssohn - complete organ works
Bach - Organ works, all organ works but that's about 25 discs so let's start with:
6 trio sonatas
Fantasia & Fuga in g minor - BWV542
Passacaglia - BWV582
Nun kommt der Heiden Heiland - BWV659
Toccata in D-minor - BWV565 (the famous one)

That's it for now...maybe I'll come up with some extras, the longer I think about it the longer my list will be :D

Asterix77
07-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Btw Feanor. I think both of your lists are great (30 and 250)
There is some music on it I really need to listen too! Thanks for reminding me..

frenchmon
07-14-2008, 05:05 PM

{EDIT} No doubt some people will note my inclusion of several contemporary works and question whether there aren't many time-proven, "classic" classics that might have been included instead on such a short list. Well I say (a) its my list and I like contemporary classical, and (b) people ought to know that, if classical music is "dead white men's music", and least the composers haven't been dead for as long as they suppose.

Feanor...I just now saw this list. You got a lots for me to choose from. I'll start at the top one at a time and listen online when I can to see if I like them. If so I''ll purchase.

I've been a jazz head, mostly bop, sense the early 80's. So i'm sure I won't have any problems with classical.

Thanks much.

Hey Mr. Peabody...did you ever get a chance to go to the Jazz and Blues club on the Admral boat when it was down on the river front years ago?

frenchmon

Mr Peabody
07-14-2008, 05:40 PM
I went on the Admiral once as a teen. They did have a band playing but I didn't get to the Jazz club. The have a great place here called Jazz at the Beastro but unfortunately I haven't made it there either. My wife isn't into music that much and don't like smoke. I need a concert bud. My daughter is old enough now to get in and likes music so maybe I can get her to go one day.

frenchmon
07-14-2008, 06:01 PM
I went on the Admiral once as a teen. They did have a band playing but I didn't get to the Jazz club. The have a great place here called Jazz at the Beastro but unfortunately I haven't made it there either. My wife isn't into music that much and don't like smoke. I need a concert bud. My daughter is old enough now to get in and likes music so maybe I can get her to go one day.

I saw a few jazz bands down there on the Admiral when they turned it into the Jazz and Blues club. I think it was in teh 80's.

I was down at Street Sides records Down on Delmar in the central west end one Saturday morning looking a Jazz albums and this sales man walk up and said may I help you? Well we got into a long discussion about Jazz artist and then he said that he was a lacal jazz drummer who played at various places around the city. This guy had a big afro and really didnt look like a jazz artist at all. I just new he was lying. So I made my purchase and left.

Well that Saturday night my buddy and I, having purchased tickets about 3 weeks earlier to go and see James Moody at the Jazz and Blues Club on the Admiral, are sitting up close to the stage and Moody comes out with his sax and his band is kicking tale. I mean they are just laying it down. And to my surprise, that same guy I saw at Street Side Records was just playing the hell out of the drums! Man I was just floored! thats when I realized that Big Time artist sometimes don't always bring the whole band with them. they go to the local Music Union Hall to get musicians.

It was a said day when they close the Club.

That was years ago when I lived in ST. Louis. Man I could not even tell you whats going on in the big STL after being away for some time. But I'll get back soon I hope...I miss it.

frenchmon

Feanor
07-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Feanor...I just now saw this list. You got a lots for me to choose from. I'll start at the top one at a time and listen online when I can to see if I like them. If so I''ll purchase.

I've been a jazz head, mostly bop, sense the early 80's. So i'm sure I won't have any problems with classical.

Thanks much.
frenchmon

I hope you find the list helpful. You might want to key in on one or two categories first, e.g. Symphony and/or Chamber. But act fast to avoid confusion! I'm thinking of expanding the list to 50.

Jazzwise, I have only a mild interest but I mainly like Hard Bob and related categories.

Asterix77
07-16-2008, 09:42 AM
One could also start exploring by period (Baroque, Romantic etc)
If you like Bach you can try Händel etc etc etc
But you'll find out what you like soon enough probably.

Pat D
07-17-2008, 01:10 PM

I'm actually not generally all that fond of Beethoven's Fifth. The high fidelity one I like better than others is Leibowitz, Royal Philharmonic on Chesky.

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Leonore-Overture-No-Symphony/dp/B000003GCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1216328616&sr=1-1
I personally like it better than Carlos Kleiber's famous recording and the sound quality is better: recorded by Gerhardt and Wilkinson.

Karajan 1962 is very good, too.