Speaker location in living room [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker location in living room

Asterix77
06-29-2008, 07:14 AM
I've a question about the location of one of my speakers in the living room.
I think I found the right spots for them after some testing but one of the speakers ended up in front of the central heating (approx 2 ft away )
Now, they are Monitor Audio BR5 floorstanding speakers and only 3 ft tall.
The radiator is a small one underneath the window.
As it is summer now, there is no problem..yet...but will it be a problem in winter? Can turning on the heating damage the speaker over time, or doesn't it matter at all?

I really do not want to change the location if it's not necessary.

Thanks for your help.

PS: I hope my posts are clear to you all as English is not my native language and please forgive any stupid writing errors :ciappa:

markw
06-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Having a speaker near a heat source can, over a period of time, dry out the materials that make up the speaker drivers themselves (cone, suspension, etc...). It may take several years to manifest itself though.

Asterix77
06-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Having a speaker near a heat source can, over a period of time, dry out the materials that make up the speaker drivers themselves (cone, suspension, etc...). It may take several years to manifest itself though.

Thanks for your reply.
I figured that...but on the other hand, if drying out is the biggest problem one could avoid that by keeping the room on an average humidity level.(there are small bins to hang on your radiator and you can fill it with water to keep the room humid)
What about the distortion of sound...as one speaker is nearby the central heating and the other one not?

markw
06-29-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't think distorton will be a problem.

jrhymeammo
06-29-2008, 03:57 PM
As Mark said, all components may dry out a bit quicker than usual. I'm no expert but I've been told that dried capacitors isnt a good thing...

JRA

Asterix77
06-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys. I still have a couple of months to think about it:wink5: