Favorite Cooking Shows. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Cooking Shows.

Smokey
06-27-2008, 05:22 PM
There seem to be an avalanche of cooking shows on TV these days, ranging from reality shows to bare knuckle Ramsey type of cooking shows. Which one would be your favorite and/or add your own favorite cooking show that is missing.

Dinner Impossible: Robert Irvine try to cock for 1000 people with only one pot and oven.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/186/376988771_4830620119.jpg

Top Chef: Judges put contestants on chopping block.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/358126487_aa512ec9ce.jpg

Iron Chef: The Japanese version is far more entertaining than American show version.
http://x31.xanga.com/048c033650233154379008/z115443381.jpg

Good Eats: Allten Brown get to science of food.
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/ABFP/Images/Cooks0106-AltonBrown-credit=PelosiAndChambersPhotography.jpg

Kitchen Nightmare: Health Department inspector from hell.
http://media.movieweb.com/news/09.2007/gordon.jpg

Hell’s Kitchen: Contestant should have a nerve of steel.
http://fonzation.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/hells-kitchen%203.jpg

American Test Kitchen (PBS): A very low key and entertaining program.
http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2006/11/15/kimball-tgiving.jpg

East Meet West: Not withstanding very expensive ingredients to cook with, it is very informative.
http://www.thevinetimes.com/images/articles/jan06/ming.jpg

Lidia’s Italy (PBS): She could very well be the next Julia Child.
http://www.createtv.com/CreateProgram.nsf/vImageGallery/Lidia%20Bastianich/$FILE/Lidia_Joseph.jpg

Emeril Live: Too much showing off, but get the job done.
http://www.delawareonline.com/blogs/secondhelpings/uploaded_images/emerillive-787663.jpg

bobsticks
06-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Not even close, Smo-kay san, given the choices. Iron Chef all the way---not even close. In fact, I'd rather watch Mario or Bobbie Flay over any of the others mentioned. I'm down seriously with fusion cooking and these guys truly are masters, and let's not forget the schlock drama value of "The Chairman". Them Iron Chef mastahs will lead ya to the promised land, I'm sayin'.

Any single guy that doesn't recognise the value of spending some time in the kitchen is a fool...and whoever first coined "The way to a man'sheart is through his stomach." was clearly a woman with self-actualization issues. If I drop a rare-roasted partridge breast in raspberry coulis with a sorrel timbale, ginger salad with morrells, pumpkin soup with cheese gnocchis, goat cheese profiteroles and any decent wine...well, somebody's gettin' some bidness.

Any of you Philly boyz ever go to Morimoto's? W00t! fosho!

Woochifer
06-27-2008, 06:25 PM
My vote was for Iron Chef, as in the REAL Iron Chef (i.e., the original Japanese series), not the bush league pretender that is Iron Chef America. So, I'm glad that you made that differentiation!

Sorry, but Bobby Flay and Alton Brown are dorky enough (and full of themselves) to ruin any show that they touch, especially one with as colorful a pedigree as the original Iron Chef. But, at least it's not the POS laugher Iron Chef USA that was shown on UPN and hosted by William Shatner (?!).

I mean, c'mon ... Alton Brown is but a cheap pretender to the throne occupied by Chairman Kaga! Plus, you don't have an emphasis on live/bizarre/poisonous ingredients in the new version (nothing like the episodes where the chefs had to handle live eels and pound stakes through their heads while they were squirming around, or cut up a blowfish that could kill you if not prepared correctly).

Iron Chef had incredible over-the-top theatrics, yet it was a dead serious cooking competition. The episodes that Food Network started running a decade ago were great, but to really appreciate Iron Chef, you really have to seek out the original Japanese language versions (particularly the ones that had the rather amusing English subtitles). The announcers there were actually Japanese baseball broadcasters, and they were calling it like an athletic event. Great stuff. :cool:

Woochifer
06-27-2008, 06:30 PM

Haven't gone to Morimoto's, but I did dine at Nobu in SoHo when Morimoto was still the head chef there. It was about $70 a person, but the dishes were uniformly great.

bobsticks
06-27-2008, 06:38 PM
My vote was for Iron Chef, as in the REAL Iron Chef (i.e., the original Japanese series), not the bush league pretender that is Iron Chef America. So, I'm glad that you made that differentiation!

Sorry, but Bobby Flay and Alton Brown are dorky enough (and full of themselves) to ruin any show that they touch, especially one with as colorful a pedigree as the original Iron Chef. But, at least it's not the POS laugher Iron Chef USA that was shown on UPN and hosted by William Shatner (?!).

Good points Wooch and let me clarify, I like Flay on his own show simply because he's a jackass. 'Course if I owned several mega-successful restaurants and was married to Stephanie March I'd prolly be fuller of myself than I already am. But, in any case, I like to incorporate some of his southwestern fusion gig.

Mario too was better on his own and I respect his stressing quality ingredients and proclivity to not dice everything up into microbial units.

Yeah, the original Iron Chef is definetely the way to go...but be careful about the impending Shatner quips. In another thread our own Finchy confessed having dreams about ol' Bill Shatner, his love for gladiator films and habitual phonetic spelling of his favorite male model.

Smokey
06-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Sorry, but Bobby Flay and Alton Brown are dorky enough (and full of themselves) to ruin any show that they touch, especially one with as colorful a pedigree as the original Iron Chef. I mean, c'mon ... Alton Brown is but a cheap pretender to the throne occupied by Chairman Kaga!

I agree that Alton Brown is no Chairman Kaga, but IMO his show Good Eats is pretty entertaining and informative. It not only show how but why, with his corcky sidekicks such as fat lady chemistry professor.

But we all seem to agree on original Iron Chef, albeit English dubbing :D

Good points Wooch and let me clarify, I like Flay on his own show simply because he's a jackass.

Bobby Flay seem to be hit and miss with me. I don’t know if you remember his “standing on the counter” incident on Iron Chef or not, but he lost some credibility there. He seem to be more at ease with home style cooking rather than “high maintenance” approach of Japanese Iron Chef style.

bobsticks
06-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Bobby Flay seem to be hit and miss with me. I don’t know if you remember his “standing on the counter” incident on Iron Chef or not, but he lost some credibility there. He seem to be more at ease with home style cooking rather than “high maintenance” approach of Japanese Iron Chef style.

That was a work. It's pretty universally acknowledged that he was told by producers to play up the "Ugly American" role. They also made a big deal in the rematch of his deferring to Morimoto's stance and removing the cutting board before standing on the counter, again emphasizing the competetive and theatrical elements simultaneously.

Rich-n-Texas
06-28-2008, 02:19 PM
:rolleyes:

Julia Child is the mother of ALL cooking shows!

Smokey
06-28-2008, 06:19 PM
That was a work. It's pretty universally acknowledged that he was told by producers to play up the "Ugly American" role. They also made a big deal in the rematch of his deferring to Morimoto's stance and removing the cutting board before standing on the counter, again emphasizing the competetive and theatrical elements simultaneously.

That is interesting. Do you also happen know if verdict in the rematch with Morimoto was staged or not? From the memory, judges were more impressed with Morimoto presentation, but Flay won!

Julia Child is the mother of ALL cooking shows!

You ain’t going to get no argument from me there bro. She seem to have became very frail in her later years and mostly did hosting than cooking. Another lady that might also need to be praised is Lidia Bastianich with her PBS cooking show Lidia’s Italy. She is the Italian version of Julia child :)

Rich-n-Texas
06-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Any single guy that doesn't recognise the value of spending some time in the kitchen is a fool...and whoever first coined "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach." was clearly a woman with self-actualization issues. If I drop a rare-roasted partridge breast in raspberry coulis with a sorrel timbale, ginger salad with morrells, pumpkin soup with cheese gnocchis, goat cheese profiteroles and any decent wine...well, somebody's gettin' some bidness.

I have NO IDEA what this place would be like without this kind of commentary. :shocked: Even when in the kitchen, this individual defies anything falling within the earthly bounds of what's accepted as normal, everyday banter. I'm thoroughly dumbfounded with what I just read. :crazy:

:lol: :thumbsup: sticky.

Groundbeef
06-29-2008, 07:06 AM
I voted for Iron Chef America. It is hightly entertaining, and some of the foods created are great!

My wife and I have come to the conclusion however, that the "mystery" ingredient is only a mystery to the viewers. Many times the chefs have foods available that would simply not be available if not needed. Nonetheless, there is definatly some goofball menu items.

I would also like to protest 2 entries in the poll. The "Dinner Impossible" chef was FIRED from food network due to his lying about his past chef credits. Among other lies, he said that he had designed the cake for Princess Diana's wedding cake!

Here is a link of his demise: http://www.showbizspy.com/2008/02/29/dinner-impossible-chef-fired-by-the-food-network/

He should be removed from the poll, and in it's place "Bobby Flay's Throwdown". No matter who wins the match, Bobby takes care to showcase the talents of the "average" cook, and never acts as though he is the star. Very low key, and actually seems to enjoy the act of cooking, rather than beating the underdog.

I am also protesting Emeril as an entry. He has also been removed for the Food Network schedule except for re-runs. He has not picked up another network. I see him as rather self-important loudmouth who does little to interest people to actually try and cook some of his entries. I've never been a fan of his, and his dwindling market share in the cooking arena backs it up.

I don't care who you replace him with, but that 2-bit has been needs to be pulled!

Groundbeef
06-29-2008, 07:20 AM

Actually, I had watched a bio on Flay, and that wasn't at all how he explained the issue at all. According to Bobby, he was very excited about the show. After the cooking was finished, he jumped up on the counter in a fit of exhubernce. Unfortunatly, he had stood on the cutting board, and his japanese competitor (Morimoto) took great offense. Apparently beyond the sanitary concerns of standing upon one's preperation area, it was seen as an insult to (Moritmoto) and the Japanese host/show as a whole.

After the show, it was explained to Flay the social faux-pas he had done. A rematch was staged, and it was a standard match at that. Nothing special was given to either chef, and the icy relations had somewhat thawed between the two after Flay apologized to Morimoto.

After the match, as a bow to Moritmoto, Flay REMOVED the cutting board, and then jumped on the counter top to acknowledge the throng of US servicemen/women that PACKED the arena. The US base in Japan was located somewhere near the set, and bus loads of soldiers came to see the rematch. Morimoto didn't have an issue with Flay on the counter, as he had removed the cutting board.

As far as I know, he (Flay) has not jumped on the counter since.

Worf101
06-29-2008, 07:22 AM
See James Cagney in "Mister Roberts"

Dagnabit, I'm willing to discuss television shows here as they are at least in the ballpark but COOKING SHOWS!!!!

NO I AIN'T A DOIN' IT I AIN'T HAVIN' IT!!!!!!

What would Marshall Dillon have to say about this Smokey... Have you no shame.... at long last....

Da "weepin for his lost forum" Worfster...

"Da Galloping Gourmet" flames and all he was funny....

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2008, 08:44 AM
You have to consider Worf that Festus gets bored with beating the other *residents* at Checkers all the time in the day room on the Geriatric ward. :biggrin5:

(I completely forgot about The Galloping Gourmet)

markw
06-29-2008, 02:59 PM
I went for "Good Eats" but would have easily gone for Rachel Ray's "30 Minute Meals" as well. Alton is kinds like Mr Wizard (any other old fogies remember this guy) in that he gets involved with the science behind what's going on. And I've just always had a thing for Rachel, what with that giggle and her chipmonk smile. In any case, both shows leave me whth the feelng that I could actually make what they've shown me. No special processes or ingredients, jut plain food made with plain stuff. ..and I have!

But, I think the selecton is flawed in that you combine shows that actually teach how to cook (Good Eats, Americia's Test Kitchen) with shows that go more for the spectacle involved (Iron Chef, Kitchen Nightmare, Hells Kitchen).

Perhaps anothher poll with the two catergories as separate entities?

Smokey
06-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks GB for the link. Didn’t know Irvine got fired from Foodnetwork due to his lying. He don’t seem to be the type. Concept of his show Dinner Impossible is entertaining, but sometimes one can see that participant are pushed to very stressful situations. Then it become a running game rather than cooking. Your dissatisfaction with Emeril is also noted.

Markw mentioned that selection might be flawed due to including different genre of cooking shows. That is probably true, but some just plain cocking show are so boring and choices too far in between.

Like the one show from TLC channel where chefs around world do cooking in their own work kitchen. One can hardly understand what they are saying with all noise background, and some don’t even look at camera http://www.2dvalley.com/smilies/smilies/icon_chef.gif

Dagnabit, I'm willing to discuss television shows here as they are at least in the ballpark but COOKING SHOWS!!!!

What would Marshall Dillon have to say about this Smokey... Have you no shame.... at long last....

Some of cooking shows can’t be worse than Lost TV show. Rich can attest to that :D

Groundbeef
06-30-2008, 12:50 PM

I think it has less to do with Cooking Shows being cool, and more to do that Klingons don't usually cook their food no?

L.J.
06-30-2008, 04:42 PM
If I drop a rare-roasted partridge breast in raspberry coulis with a sorrel timbale, ginger salad with morrells, pumpkin soup with cheese gnocchis, goat cheese profiteroles and any decent wine...well, somebody's gettin' some bidness.

:yikes:

Rich-n-Texas
06-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Okay, I voted for Emeril Live, even though I don't usually watch cooking shows, because he devoted an entire show to cooking with hot peppers. I even recorded it.

All I need now is somebody to try out his recipies on. :ihih:

Worf101
07-01-2008, 03:58 AM
I think it has less to do with Cooking Shows being cool, and more to do that Klingons don't usually cook their food no?
As as a HUUUMAN who's avatar is a pile of uncooked meat, I'd watch myself if I wuz you....:sosp:

Da "suddenly very hungry" Worfster

Groundbeef
07-01-2008, 05:18 AM
As as a HUUUMAN who's avatar is a pile of uncooked meat, I'd watch myself if I wuz you....:sosp:

:cryin:

Your scary.

GMichael
07-01-2008, 05:38 AM

:devil: Are you saying that you'd eat......
No no.. I can't say it.
Just can't say it.

Worf101
07-01-2008, 06:59 AM
:devil: Are you saying that you'd eat......
No no.. I can't say it.
Just can't say it.
Must your mind be PERPETUALLY IN THE GUTTER. :rolleyes: LOL, hey missionary meat is the shiznit...

Da Worfster

GMichael
07-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Must your mind be PERPETUALLY IN THE GUTTER. :rolleyes:

Yes please. It likes it there.

LOL, hey missionary meat is the shiznit...

Da Worfster

I'm not sure I wanted to know this.

bobsticks
07-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Smokey, just so you and I are on the same page, I know why you edited Post #16. I was gonna jump on it but got busy and you got to it before I did.

We coulda had alot of fun with that...in a manner of speaking.

TheHills44060
07-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Sandra Lee - Semi Homemade........that broad is smokin and has an amazing rack

3-LockBox
07-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Dinner Impossible: Robert Irvine try to cock for 1000 people.

Trying to beat Casey Jones' old record is he?

:lol:

RGA
07-03-2008, 09:37 AM
For me it's Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares that I enjoy the most - though it's not really a cooking show - it's more about lousy run restaurants that Ramsey attempts to fix. Although some are so shockingly bad that McDonalds looks pretty good. It's also a bit of a travel log of restaurants in beautiful areas. And it's fun to count how many F words Ramsey can utter in a 1 hour program - I believe 70 is his record so far. Hell's kitchen is interesting in the sense that unless you're the chef you will have a life of being berated - so better make sure you're good at what you do. The cooking shows I'm less interested in - I'd rather buy a cook book.

bobsticks
07-28-2008, 03:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLi5gdyFgM4&feature=related

Some kind soul uploaded just about every damn one of these.

I swear if these were available on DVD I'd buy the box set. Clearly, I'm not the first one to have this thought either...

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/ironchef