Sony PS1 as CD player, WOW!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony PS1 as CD player, WOW!!

polgara30
06-26-2008, 07:21 PM
My husband is the sterophile buff and based on various reviews he read (from Audio Review and Audio Magazine), he got curious and so I bought a Sony Playstation 1 from ebay for him to try out (before I know the various difference such as model#, actual and not integrated RCA output).

First off, I hit jackpot without realizing it, when the PS1 came, it has the sought after model# SPCH-1001 (which I never asked the seller). It cost only $10 + $10 for shipping for a total of $20. It does come with 2 control so I can still use it to play games. Only after I purchased my PS1 did I realize that even among consoles that has RCA output on the back, there are many different model#s. I do not know if they are all made in Japan but this one is.

As a CD player, of course it nowhere near my husband's Muscial Fidelity Pre 24 integrated CD player, but for the cost of $20, it's a great CD player. I actually love the vocal sound from it a little more than the Muscial Fidelity. The definition of the sound maynot be the greatest but it's very smooth to my ears! Which is basically the most important thing. When my husband first connected it to his preamplifier and amplifier, we couldn't believe the sound that comes from it. We bought it kind of for fun, just to see what all the reviews are clamouring about. But WOW!!, it's a super great CD player for $20! You really have to play it to believe it.

Now that I have this unit, there are a few more things I have learned:

1. There are some SPCH-1001 that has a "Power Replay Video Game Enhancer" which is why some unit will repeat the CD over and over without stopping. (Mine did not have that fortunately)
2. The model#, there is a "SPCH-1001" and a "SPCH-101", be very careful about that, it's not a typo, it really is two very different model#.
3. It's getting harder to get a PS1 with the model "SPCH-1001" on ebay for cost of $10 +shipping. The "secret" is kind of out and a lot of ebay posting, the ones that are "SPCH-1001" post with those words in their listing so the price of couse, is the higher around $60 + shipping price, but even for that it's still worth it.

I am extremely glad that I purchased that PS1 for my husband, I love it a lot more than his Muscial Fidelity CD player, don't ask me why. I am not into all the technical stuff with how the CD player is suppose to be good, I just love the way the sound from the PS1 sounds. :17:

bobsticks
06-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Lat year there was actually some rather lengthy discourse on this on the 'Gon, excerpts of which can be found here (http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1176210779&openflup&9&4). I've never tried it but many have drank the Kool-Aid, at least for secondary systems and such.

Ajani
06-27-2008, 06:42 PM
For $10 to $60 it's worth a shot....

TheHills44060
06-28-2008, 04:04 AM
i have 2 of these players and have yet to experience anything worth mentioning

bobsticks
06-29-2008, 05:59 AM
i have 2 of these players and have yet to experience anything worth mentioning

So much for that pearl-among-swine, green marker theory.

I'd yet to peep out your bio man. Nice gears. I've looked at that Mac myself and, by all reports, the Castle Howards are pretty solid too. The hell you say, a PS1 doesn't match up with your EAD cdp? :D

I had to smile at the boxing and guitars part. For a moment in time I took to the ice with my own pugilistic endeavors. Broken fingers/hands don't go well with stringed instruments.

Peace