Shootout: AVR - Video Processing [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Shootout: AVR - Video Processing

RoadRunner6
06-26-2008, 03:37 PM
FYI and comments.

Home Theater Magazine conducted a comparison in their June 2008 issue of the video processing sections of six AV receivers ranging in list price from $1300 to $5500. I think anyone possibly considering the use of this receiver function would be interested in this test. Unfortunately, it only compares 6 receivers from four different manufacturers. This would have been even a better test if they would have included more receivers.

It was still very interesting to me. They state in their review:

"Don’t make the mistake of thinking that just because you are paying top dollar for your new AVR, you’re always going to get top-of-the-line video processing from it"

I will not reveal the top place unit but let you read the review for yourself. Just suffice to say that the winner by a very close margin has a list price of only $1700 and rhymes with "Tokyo."

http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/608recfeat/index.html

RR6 :smile5:

pixelthis
06-27-2008, 12:03 AM
NOT suprising, as the onkyo has the silicon reon chip, a scaled down version of the realta,
which I have heard rave reviews about in its aplication in Olevia tv sets.
I posted about seeing a vizio, a sony, and an olevia, all together, and the olevia beat
both hands down, not surprising for the vizio, but sony?
Silicon optix has something here.
Of course, having had an integra product (made by onkyo) for several years I AM NOT SURPRIZED BY ANYTHING THIS COMPANY PUTS OUT, they know their stuff.
My Integra has quite good video, even tho its a dino now.
But heres the larger question, if your monitor has good scaling, then is the scaling in a receiver really that important?
Do you really need such a duplication of service?
If you have the (much raved about and cheap to boot) Olevia 47in with a silicon optix chip, do you really need one in your receiver?:1:

pixelthis
06-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Heres a link with a lot of info (including pics) on the new Onkyo pre/pro.
A very nice piece of gear and better than the receiver you posted about if you dont need the amps, and yes, it has the silicon optix chip:1:

http://forums.soundandvisionmag.com/audiovideo/board/message?board.id=29&thread.id=76547

THIS LINK also has a disscussion about the emotiva amp, and its not too complementary,
says the outlaw is more robust (sorry, rich and kex)

f0rge
06-27-2008, 05:51 AM
ouch my receiver took a beating lol

i knew the onkyo was better, but i didnt think that much.

although i gotta say, the only non-1080p source i use is my cable box, running 1080i through component upscaled to 1080p by the receiver and sent to TV via HDMI, and i gotta tell you it doesn't look any worse than when it was hooked up directly to the TV...