Yes, you only get one pick for 2008 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yes, you only get one pick for 2008

nobody
06-26-2008, 06:42 AM
OK, I need to head to the record shop and get something a bti new. Been getting into a bit of a rut with listening to older stuff lately. I need suggestions, but I'm not going to be buying 20 things. So, I need you to tell me the one very top release for you so far in 2008. The one album you've bought from this year that if you had to get rid of all your new ones but a single album, the one you would keep. And, why would I, or anyone else, like it?

Bernd
06-26-2008, 07:06 AM
ok.....I play, but can't do just one. I do two and let you decide.:)
Up to this Monday it was Shearwater's Rook that sat pretty on the top of this years purchases. Then the new Sigur Ros arrived. They are different from each other, but both somehow very rootsy and therefore closer then you might think.
The Sigur Ros is somewhat more playful then there last offerings, but still beautiful Icelandic tunage.
I am very taken with the Shearwater. Somehow I feel it is one of the best records I have heard in years. It's grand, melodic and leaves you wanting for more. So a tough one. I would declare the Shearwater and sneek out the Sigur Ros with me.

Stone
06-26-2008, 07:47 AM
The new Bret Michaels.

nobody
06-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Already got that.

Davey
06-26-2008, 08:20 AM
Not sure which one you already got, but I'm gonna be jumping on the Shearwater wagon with Bernd, though it may not be a sound you'd go heavy for, nobody. Won't hear anything better or more adventurous this year. Beautiful record. Important music. Sadly, don't get a chance to say that often enough anymore.

Obviously influenced by that genre defining moment in the late 80s when Mark Hollis and Tim Friese-Greene and the rest of Talk Talk holed up in an abandoned church with an assortment of musicians, often recording in the dark, crafting a mix of ambient jazz and modern classicism that became one of the most beautiful records ever in "Spirit of Eden", probably the beginnings of what later became known as post-rock.

But this record is more dynamic overall, gentle at times, but loud and forceful at others. Not the typical formula, but whatever is right for the music. Songs like "The Snow Leopard" really do change the status of Shearwater in my mind, making Jonathan Meiberg one of the top musical visionaries today. There's the bits of Jeff Buckley, and even Scott Walker when he isn't so madly cryptic and overblown, some David Bowie at times, but this does seem pretty special, especially in today's play-it-safe pop music climate. I do love "Palo Santo", but this one goes way beyond my expectations. Sometimes you get the feel an artist has been working their whole career for that one defining record, and I think it all came together this time for Meiburg, the inspired lyrical imagery coupled with his allegorical music vision, can't imagine right now that it won't easily be my record of the year. Even harkens back to the progressive folk of Jethro Tull's "Songs from the Wood" (absent the often annoying flute), or bits of "Aqualung", but channeled through that later "Spirit of Eden" to strip away the excess. His voice is the best it has ever been, recorded without most of the needless reverb this time, it floats on the wind, and then soars effortlessly, like the majestic birds that live in so much of his music. Just 35 minutes, but a beautiful record. And speaking of record, the CD sounds pretty good even if a touch loud, but someone in another board mentioned the "fabulous sounding, dead-quiet Matador/RTI vinyl."

That's my story, though reading it now ... well, it seems a little overblown. Probably should've stopped at the first paragraph :)

Bernd
06-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Not sure which one you already got, but I'm gonna be jumping on the Shearwater wagon with Bernd, though it may not be a sound you'd go heavy for, nobody. Won't hear anything better or more adventurous this year. Beautiful record. Important music. Sadly, don't get a chance to say that often enough anymore.

Obviously influenced by that genre defining moment in the late 80s when Mark Hollis and Tim Friese-Greene and the rest of Talk Talk holed up in an abandoned church with an assortment of musicians, often recording in the dark, crafting a mix of ambient jazz and modern classicism that became one of the most beautiful records ever in "Spirit of Eden", probably the beginnings of what later became known as post-rock.

But this record is more dynamic overall, gentle at times, but loud and forceful at others. Not the typical formula, but whatever is right for the music. Songs like "The Snow Leopard" really do change the status of Shearwater in my mind, making Jonathan Meiberg one of the top musical visionaries today. There's the bits of Jeff Buckley, and even Scott Walker when he isn't so madly cryptic and overblown, some David Bowie at times, but this does seem pretty special, especially in today's play-it-safe pop music climate. I do love "Palo Santo", but this one goes way beyond my expectations. Sometimes you get the feel an artist has been working their whole career for that one defining record, and I think it all came together this time for Meiburg, the inspired lyrical imagery coupled with his allegorical music vision, can't imagine right now that it won't easily be my record of the year. Even harkens back to the progressive folk of Jethro Tull's "Songs from the Wood" (absent the often annoying flute), or bits of "Aqualung", but channeled through that later "Spirit of Eden" to strip away the excess. His voice is the best it has ever been, recorded without most of the needless reverb this time, it floats on the wind, and then soars effortlessly, like the majestic birds that live in so much of his music. Just 35 minutes, but a beautiful record. And speaking of record, the CD sounds pretty good even if a touch loud, but someone in another board mentioned the "fabulous sounding, dead-quiet Matador/RTI vinyl."

That's my story, though reading it now ... well, it seems a little overblown. Probably should've stopped at the first paragraph :)

No, No, No.....thats perfect and nailed it.

Duds
06-26-2008, 09:20 AM
If you forced me to keep just one of the 2008 releases, it would be OPETH.

would be tough to get rid of Mudcrutch, Steve Winwood, and the Robin Trower/Jack Bruce discs though.

Mr MidFi
06-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Honestly? At this point, I'd have to say the new REM. It rocks. Seriously.

But I'll have to check out this Shearwater...I'm intrigued.

Ex Lion Tamer
06-26-2008, 11:24 AM
I don't have this Shearwater album that everyone seems so high on, but I am Really enjoying - (wait...you better sit down, this could come as a HUGE shocker) - the new Wire album - Object 47, package that withRead & Burn 3 and you've got 50 or so minutes of choice (relatively) new Wire - and there's never anything wrong with that. Here's a link to the review at allmusic.com: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:knfpxz8jldhe

Davey
06-26-2008, 12:07 PM
I don't have this Shearwater album that everyone seems so high on...Yea, I guess if one person can be nobody, two people can be everyone, eh? Small board :)

wait...you better sit down, this could come as a HUGE shocker)Yea again, that's kind of along the same wormhole as MidFi liking the latest R.E.M., pinch me cause I must be dreaming :)

New Wire, new Albini-recorded Wedding Present and Breeders, new Notwist, new Portishead, new Will Oldham, new Nick Cave, wow, lots of new stuff coming out from lots of cool bands that had kind of fallen off my radar in recent times.

Mr MidFi
06-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Yea, I guess if one person can be nobody, two people can be everyone, eh? Small board :)
Yea again, that's kind of along the same wormhole as MidFi liking the latest R.E.M., pinch me cause I must be dreaming :)

New Wire, new Albini-recorded Wedding Present and Breeders, new Notwist, new Portishead, new Will Oldham, new Nick Cave, wow, lots of new stuff coming out from lots of cool bands that had kind of fallen off my radar in recent times.

Yeah, yeah...I walked right into that one. But I can't help it. It rocks. Sue me.

Actually, I was going to ask you about that new Notwist, so thanks for reminding me. I know it's only 9 days old, but how you liking it?

Slosh
06-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Hmmm, I'm looking at my 2008 stuff and nothing is jumping out at me as essential. Lots of goodness to be sure but no absolute must-haves IMO.

Kid Dakota
R.E.M.
Voyager One
Sun Kil Moon
Islands
Wolf Parade
The Black Keys
Old 97s
The Raconteurs
Clinic
Earlimart
Melvins
Black Mountain
Cavalera Conspiracy
James McMurtry
Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Mudcrutch
Death Cab For Cutie
Stephen Malkmus
Shearwater
Ladyhawk
The Notwist
Elbow
Nine Inch Nails
Vampire Weekend
Tapes n' Tapes

NP:

Davey
06-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Actually, I was going to ask you about that new Notwist, so thanks for reminding me. I know it's only 9 days old, but how you liking it?

No can tell, I've only heard the single. The only one I listed that I have actually heard (besides Shearwater, of course) is Portishead, and really like it. Slosh and Sticks (sounds kinda like a gay pirate bar, huh?) have the Notwist.

But R.E.M., nothing wrong there, just meant that it's not surprising. Cool to have a band you [still] like so much for so long.

Mr MidFi
06-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Slosh and Sticks (sounds kinda like a gay pirate bar, huh?) have the Notwist.

Arrrr! Shiver me timbers and blow me...down.

bobsticks
06-26-2008, 03:09 PM
http://www.frightcatalog.com/i/360x360/1103035.jpg

But...I don't wanna be a pirate.

bobsticks
06-26-2008, 03:39 PM
I would agree with Sloshy that this year has been good with greatness few and far between, although it's important to note that I haven't heard the Shearwater or Sigur Ros efforts. While I would remove a few our boy's list is pretty good...and I'd add :

Ray Davies
Anna Ternheim
THWhite
Valient Thorr
The Presets

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of those...Davies throws out some great everyman rif***e that surpasses some of the latter day Kinks stuff IMO and The Presets got somma dat Wax Trax synth vibe.

Actually---and I wasn't gonna mention this 'cause it's being reserved for the upcoming "Comp of Things You've Never Heard", but for you...---if you're in an all-jangle-no-jingle-surfcaster-Chuck Berry meets Los Straightjackets' INS agent kinda mood I'll pull out a darkhorse and refer to this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hX4k7KEtL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

You of all peeps will likey...or you can just wait for it to come out o VHS if'n ya nahmean.

Oh yeah, Sloshy's "Sounds Good:2008" is outstanding too!

sticks

bobsticks
06-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Why the **** is "rif***e" censored??

Slosh
06-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Why the **** is "rif***e" censored??You can't have riff<a>age without a f<a>ag in the middle wanking it up :D

Stone
06-27-2008, 06:05 AM
Actually---and I wasn't gonna mention this 'cause it's being reserved for the upcoming "Comp of Things You've Never Heard", but for you...---if you're in an all-jangle-no-jingle-surfcaster-Chuck Berry meets Los Straightjackets' INS agent kinda mood I'll pull out a darkhorse and refer to this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hX4k7KEtL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

sticks

Now we're talking. Thanks for the heads up.

ForeverAutumn
06-27-2008, 08:12 AM
I'd go with the REM too. It's only 35 minutes, but there's not a bad minute in there.

tentoze
06-28-2008, 01:58 AM
Another slow year for much new music that has really slapped me silly. Until I got back from a month in Beijing yesterday, and this was waiting to be played:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41mzyKmgzlL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Kicks ass. From my keyboard to your eyes, you read it here.

et

Slosh
06-28-2008, 04:06 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41mzyKmgzlL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Kicks ass. From my keyboard to your eyes, you read it here.
I have The Boxing Mirror and Room Of Songs and think they're both kind of dull. On that note why should I pick up the new one?

NP:

Auricauricle
06-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Ali Farka Toure: In the Heart of the Moon.

Beautiful music and your brain needs to something different and jarring.

It's like sipping straight tequila or vodka. Like your taste buds, which get tired and stale and could stand something inspired, your ears get in a rut.

Swish
06-28-2008, 12:07 PM
I have The Boxing Mirror and Room Of Songs and think they're both kind of dull. On that note why should I pick up the new one?

NP:

...and I bought it before seeing him open for Lucinda last year, but I was completely underwhelmed. His show was decent, while hers kicked major tail, and when he joined her on stage playing electric, it was quite nice.

I was more intrigued by the story of his life in music, one that tells of multiple marriages, drugs and booze, major health problems...a total cluster actually. He's lucky to be alive actually. The stories about his early musical affiliations in the Southwest...Austin I believe was the main city...were also pretty cool, hanging out with the likes of Lucinda, Steve Earle, John Cale...

Swish

bobsticks
06-29-2008, 05:40 AM
Ali Farka Toure: In the Heart of the Moon.

Beautiful music and your brain needs to something different and jarring.

It's like sipping straight tequila or vodka. Like your taste buds, which get tired and stale and could stand something inspired, your ears get in a rut.

I don't know if this would quite be up D's alley but it is a mighty good album...and I agree with your observation. The Africans have different patterns of playing so the same ionian-phrygian-pentatonic thang that can get kinda hackneyed over here gets a fresh face, as it were. I used a few tracks off this one on the much-maligned "Summer Comp 2007". Good stuff.

bobsticks
06-29-2008, 07:42 AM
You can't have riff<a>age without a f<a>ag in the middle wanking it up :D

Oh Good Lord, so I can type "felching with a gerbil" or "KKK" and that's fine but any word with the sequence of "f-a-g" is unacceptable? Folks that have an alternative lifestyle and play the guitar must be outraged and confused at the same time.

Swish
06-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Hmmm, I'm looking at my 2008 stuff and nothing is jumping out at me as essential. Lots of goodness to be sure but no absolute must-haves IMO.

I was all set to order the latest Bonnie 'Prince' Billy based on your post from June 5th in which you proclaimed 'As for best of '08 my current so-far-favorite is this' and showed a picture of the LP. So what happened over the last few weeks? Not sounding so great any longer? A bit too accessible, sort of like that Rogue Wave record from last year? Inquiring minds want to know!

Swish - looking for some fresh toons.

Slosh
06-29-2008, 11:58 AM
I was all set to order the latest Bonnie 'Prince' Billy based on your post from June 5th in which you proclaimed 'As for best of '08 my current so-far-favorite is this' and showed a picture of the LP. So what happened over the last few weeks? Not sounding so great any longer? A bit too accessible, sort of like that Rogue Wave record from last year? Inquiring minds want to know!

Swish - looking for some fresh toons.No, it's still my favorite of '08 (so far) but it's not something everybody should go out and grab asaFp. Accessible is kind of a relative word when it comes to Oldham. I like the new Old 97s too, which I would consider a more accessible album in the alt-country genre.

I just haven't been floored by anything new this year like I was with The Shepherd's Dog just last year (came outta nowhere based on their previous albums) or Armchair Apocrypha the year before.

Of course, that doesn't mean most of the '08 albums I have aren't worth buying. Maybe I'm just becoming a little too jaded.

NP: (SACD)

Swish
06-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Of course, that doesn't mean most of the '08 albums I have aren't worth buying. Maybe I'm just becoming a little too jaded.

I get the same way. I sometimes get excited about a new cd but that seems to wear off so quickly, or I just find many new releases mundane, same old, same old. Then again I have so much good music to listen to but so many other things are challenging me for my time, so much of it just sits collecting dust. Our favorite place to chill in the summertime is our back patio. I recently bought really nice, and dirt cheap, outdoor speakers on e-bay to replace the overpriced pieces of junk I had for a number of years. I put 5 cds in the carousel player and get our favorite beer or other libations and sit out there for a couple hours in the evening. It always surprises me how good so many cds I have in my collection...and how rarely I get to listen to some of them. My wife continually asks 'Why haven't I heard this one?' and such. Maybe I should stop buying new stuff until I get better acquainted with what I already have. Nah.

Swish

bobsticks
06-29-2008, 01:32 PM

Don't you say this every year?

Just got back from the audioshack with a gaggle of goodies. "Rooks" is spinning right now and I must say it's been awhile since I've listened to a collection of modern tunes that displayed so many characteristics of, well, real, thought-provoking music. Dynamics?-yes; PRaT?-yes. It is a slower paced affair and that's fine as it serves well to show off some of the special flourishes and thoughts within.

Right now I'm a bit captivated.

As an aside, I can't imagine this sounding as good on anything less than a fullrange system. There is some deep bass extension on occasion.

Davey
06-30-2008, 07:29 AM
I just haven't been floored by anything new this year like I was with The Shepherd's Dog just last year (came outta nowhere based on their previous albums) or Armchair Apocrypha the year before.

Wow, you must've really got an advance copy since most of us only got it last year!

:smilewinkgrin:

I think the Caribou Andorra CD probably turned out to be my favorite from last year over time, though John Vanderslice Emerald City may have taken over as favorite by now. I do like the Shepherd's Dog a lot, but it seems a little samey to me and has never left a real strong impression. Lately been listening to a lot of ambient stuff, Brian Eno's On Land right now. Always amazing to revisit that old friend. And that mid 90s dark classic from Robert Rich and B.Lustmord called Stalker. Great stuff.

But wound up listening to some Neil Young yesterday. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere. Wow, could use a few new records like that about now to shake it up in the rock world. What a frackin' great record! Well, except for the two songs between Down By The River and Cowgirl, but the rest is gold. I guess we sometimes forget that even the old classics weren't really perfect, often with a couple filler songs to get it up to LP length :)

edit: btw, saw your lonesome sea np and was reminded that it sure has been a long time. I don't think they have a label here yet so not sure of the new record status. Might get a EU release first. Apparently they now have a SFA connection too (not my words below) ....

Since its rerelease, The Lonesome Sea has been steadily garnering praise-filled reviews from the indie-music press abroad, but it has yet to achieve a significant commercial release here in the States. Some four years after the album’s initial release—and in the process of finalizing the group’s sophomore album—Robbins has mixed feelings about their first recording.

“It felt a little bit more classic rock-y than I wanted it to be,” Robbins says. “So this time around I was a little more conscious of that, and tried to avoid the conservativeness of the last album.”

And if there is one thing their soon-to-be-released album All You Need To Sleep isn’t, it’s conservative. While keeping the group’s haunting, dreamy and dark sound, the new album reveals a depth and attention to detail that was either absent or greatly muddied in their earlier work. What’s more, the songs greatly expand on the Hellsayers’ previous experimentation with dramatic shifts in melody and mood.

“It’s way more dynamic,” Cole says. “It’s not as flat-lined as the first record.”

But it might not have worked out that way. The album’s early mixes were, as Robbins says, “really boring.” Thankfully, the Hellsayers were able to call in a few high-profile friends to put an edge back on the recording. In essence, the band split the album between two producers: Wales-based indie stars Super Furry Animals and Mitch Easter, who is perhaps best known for his work with REM. While the remixed versions may surprise some longtime listeners, for a self-admitted “control freak,” Robbins seems surprisingly happy to relax expectations for what the band should sound like.

“It’s kind of nice to turn something into someone else’s hands, but it’s kind of scary, too,” he admits. “When I got the Super Furry Animals mixes, there were things that bothered me about them at first; they were so left field from what I’ve done. By the end of one of our songs it sounds like Madonna circa 1985. But one night I was listening to them and I thought, ‘You know, it’s just kind of fate.’ You’re able to separate yourself from it. It’s kind of grown on me.”

Slosh
06-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Wow, you must've really got an advance copy since most of us only got it last year!

:smilewinkgrin:
Oh yeah, you're right. I did hear the leaked version really early on in '07 in my defense though. :) Okay, so make that The Spell, which I can now definitively say is my favorite BHP album. In fact . . . . .

NP:

Auricauricle
07-01-2008, 05:49 AM
Try this out....

You won't be soory.

Trust me: I went to Holiday Inn

Swish
07-01-2008, 06:25 AM
Try this out....

You won't be soory.

Trust me: I went to Holiday Inn

...hearing some of it. I know this is Ravi's daughter but I didn't know she was a sitar player. I listened to some of this on Amazon and it's definitely not one I would want in my collection. Not saying it's bad, I just don't dig sitar music with Enya-style vocals.

Swish - thanks, but no thanks

Stone
07-01-2008, 07:09 AM
I think you (this is a recommendation for nobody, it is certainly not for everyone) might like this, knowing your penchant for noises and blips:

http://www.12k.com/1048mini.jpg

Machinefabriek + Stephen Vitiello - Box Music

An accidental meeting via e mail gave rise to this unlikely pairing in the spirit of exchange that was revitalised in the 1980’s with the advent of “cassette culture”. In the new millenium, this spirit of exchange has become the norm, with file exchanges taking place throughout the digital/experimental scene at a furious, indicriminate rate, birthing projects, collaborations and collusions the world over. However, this exchange system, although effective, has become somewhat jaded and cliched..and, well..a little too easy..step forward Stephen Vitiello and Machinfabriek who decided to take a more novel approach, harking back to the happenings and provocations of the 1960’s radical arts ensemble, FLUXUS, a gathering of disparate, inventive, and highly active folk who used the common, and everyday object as the central axis of their creativity, both audibly and visually.
Both artists here decided to send each other a box of objects, and challenged each other to create music with them. These largely un-musical components, rice, chocolate sprinkles, plastic bags, egg cutters, etc, make for a complex and challenging listen, and the interest of any serious auditor should be piqued right away.
The net result of all of this artsy posturing is a highly engaging listen, that combines digital atmospherics with often strange and otherworldly sonic manifestations brought about by the use and abuse of the gathered objects. Each piece has a title that is basically an inventory of the objects used, so get ready for “Bells, Book, Tin Foil, Buttons” , which is actually, strangely evocative and compelling, a beautiful and restrained piece of minimalism; we then have pieces like “Field Recordings, Rock, Speaker”, that pulse and crackle with rich, and sonorous ambience. I made my way quickly to “Chocolate Sprinkles, Tape, Egg Cutter, Rice, Plastic Bag”..a title that doesn’t exactly trip off the tongue, yet is so technically brilliant, and edgy, that I find myself smiling at it’s ingenuity. I’m sure a host of similar projects will now be born, but Vitiello and Machinefabriek have come up with one of the finest recordings of food and kitchen implements this side of the 20th century. Creative, intriguing, and highly immersive..an absolute winner.

nobody
07-01-2008, 08:00 AM
See...this is why I ask for only one. Now, the list I'm gonna shop for from this list is already up to 3 or 4 anyway.

Auricauricle
07-01-2008, 09:19 AM
...hearing some of it. I know this is Ravi's daughter but I didn't know she was a sitar player. I listened to some of this on Amazon and it's definitely not one I would want in my collection. Not saying it's bad, I just don't dig sitar music with Enya-style vocals.

Sitars are something of an acquired taste, Swishy, Old Boy...You have to close your eyes and connect with the instrument. You have to use the Force....

(Ahem!) As far as Enya-style vocals go, I quite disagree. Enya had her own, Irish-Celtic thing going. Anushka (I think) has found her own muse and is quite a distinct entity from the 90's clap-trap (apologies to E....);)

Auricauricle
07-01-2008, 09:48 AM
I think you (this is a recommendation for nobody, it is certainly not for everyone) might like this, knowing your penchant for noises and blips:

http://www.12k.com/1048mini.jpg

Machinefabriek + Stephen Vitiello - Box Music
Just listened to a bit of Machinefabriek re your recommendation. This is the kind of music that I find particularly compelling and wonderful. Goes back to sitting in a dark room with Ligeti on the phonograph. Refrigerators hummed eerily during low-barometric-pressure days and the saw mill accross town made a low-intensity sound that was nearly a presence, informing me (even now) that a thunderstorm was approaching. Call me a loon, but listening to certain sounds is quite disconcertingly delicious....I'm glad that people with enough talent are able and willing to reproduce these tone paintings and sonic landscapes....

ForeverAutumn
07-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Oh Good Lord, so I can type "felching with a gerbil" or "KKK" and that's fine but any word with the sequence of "f-a-g" is unacceptable? Folks that have an alternative lifestyle and play the guitar must be outraged and confused at the same time.

Just wait until we try to discuss the next Donald ***an release. :frown2:

nobody
07-03-2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks guys. I went to the shop to pick a couple of these up, but they only had one I wanted to grab off the list, so I picked up the new Alejandro Escovedo, which I am enjoying right now, very nice. Anyone else remember The Nuns?

I ordered a couple of the others, Machinefabriek + Stephen Vitiello and Sigur Ros, plus the new Robin Saville solo thing (one of the guys from ISAN). Was gonna order Eli "Paperboy" Reed too, but I couldn't find a single store that sold all of them. That one's top of my next purchase list though. Eventually probably grab Shearwater as well after all the praise here. Ali Farka Toure has me intrigued; I like some African stuff. Already got the new REM, and not top 5 for me from them, but still decent. Damnit people, now you're spending my next two paychecks!

MindGoneHaywire
07-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Tough question. I was going to say Melody Gardot...and that's still a good answer...but I just heard the new Sloan album. I've never heard anything by them, I don't think. Good rec.

MindGoneHaywire
07-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Scratch that. I just heard the greatest thing I've heard in years. I haven't heard anything this great since Las Vegas Grind. Five out of four stars.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jjftxzwhldje

http://www.amazon.com/Boogie-Presents-Rarities-Hites-Vaults/dp/B000X3SYWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1215150828&sr=1-1

Bob Hite was the singer in Canned Heat, died young, apparently had one monster of a collection of old blues & R&B 78s. The good stuff. The crazy stuff. And someone from Belgium who calls himself Dr. Boogie selected a few from his collection & had it put out as a comp.

If I only get one pick for the next 10 years, this is it.

Slosh
07-04-2008, 11:22 AM
I intended to give Rook a proper-no-distractions spin today but it put me to sleep. Next time I have a bout of insomnia I'll know what to do. :)

Spancticles
08-11-2008, 06:25 PM
portishead third
its like nothing theyve ever done before
like the opposite of
bark psychosis codename dustsucker

MissSuki
08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I love the Alejandro Escovedo album. And I've seen him twice in the last few months and thought his show was kick-ass as well.

I've heard the new Okkervil River (the Stand Ins, I think it is called) and I'd like to hear it a few more times, but I think this will be one of my favorites of the year.

And I love Brit pop, so I am playing the Kooks album "Konk" a lot.

Mr MidFi
08-12-2008, 11:24 AM
MissSuki: Just curious, but don't I know you from somewhere else?

~ mr_go

Davey
08-12-2008, 11:42 AM
MissSuki: Just curious, but don't I know you from somewhere else?

~ mr_go

A few drinks and you're chatting up the ladies and telling them to stop by Rave Recs, eh? I like that mid-fi style, Mr Go. And Miss Suki, definitely like the sound of that around here. With our luck, probably just our old buddy 3Lock, cross-dressing again :yikes:

Mr MidFi
08-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Well, I guess it's possible that there are two people named Suki out there on the intar-tubes who happen to like the new Alejandro Escovedo.

Want to hear an amazing irony? You know that Whiskeytown song with the guest vocal by Alejandro Escovedo?...Yep, it just finished playing. That iTunes shuffle gnome, he knows what I need to hear!

N (no longer) P: "Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart" from the Strangers' Almanac disc

MissSuki
08-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Why, Mr MidFi, I wasn't sure that you would recognize me out of context as it were. If I had recommended the new Dr. Dog as well you would have known for sure! I check in on this board from time to time to see what y'all are listening to. You come highly recommended by Mr MidFi.

PS - Is anyone listening to The Airborne Toxic Event?

Mr MidFi
08-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Why, Mr MidFi, I wasn't sure that you would recognize me out of context as it were. If I had recommended the new Dr. Dog as well you would have known for sure! I check in on this board from time to time to see what y'all are listening to. You come highly recommended by Mr MidFi.

PS - Is anyone listening to The Airborne Toxic Event?

I've only heard "Sometime Around Midnight". How's the rest sounding?
And welcome to our mad little world, btw. Lurking is a lonely way to go...glad you spoke up!

NP: "Andy Warhol's Dead (but I'm Not)" by EIEIO

MissSuki
08-13-2008, 11:21 AM
I've just ordered The Airborne Toxic Event album so I will let you know. I like 'Sometime Around Midnight' and 'Gasoline' so I have high hopes.