Is it me or them? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or them?

denontillidie
06-26-2008, 01:42 AM
Hi,

I was watching my david gilmour dvd the other day (live at albert hall) and had it cranked up a bit, loud but not deafening.

One thing i did notice was the lack of bass definition coming out of my f30's compared to what i expected. more of a restrained rumble than a nice warm bass.

I dont have a sub connected, as i found my old sub (gale 50 pound job) to not make an real improvment to the sound.

The point is, is there a way of improving my bass warmth from my system without having to shell out on a new set of floorstanders and has anyone else found that this dvd gives a funny bass level.

Cheers.

P.S if anyone has any killer suggestions on the rest of my setup then i will be all ears, as i am always on the lookout for a way to improve my system.

denontillidie
06-26-2008, 01:47 AM
my equipment list

markw
06-26-2008, 03:07 AM
If you have this complaint about ALL the music you listen to, then it's possible you either need to replace your current speakers or possibly add a sub.

If your beef (no pun intended) is with only this and a very few other music releases, then it's the source disc itself and no amount of equipment replacement will make much of a difference. Not all music is recorded well.

denontillidie
06-26-2008, 06:58 AM
well, i am listening to some bob marley at the moment (burnin') and they sound great.

i presume that the dvd must be following mr gilmours usual template of shoving the bass down so low that only the moles can hear it. :(

are there any subwoofers that you would recommend for my system for emergencys, as all previous experiences with subs have been painful at best.

hydroman
06-26-2008, 09:35 AM
...and live concert is really the hardest to capture 'well' IMHO. The ac/dc Live at Donnington is the most brilliant live reocrding i have heard in while...

Yup. Sounds like it was just the particular DVD.

Me? Too much bass? Yeah. Right. Never enough! (I also play bass - so this is my 'focus' when i listen...)

denontillidie
06-26-2008, 01:19 PM
i dont think it helps matters that guy pratt likes playing in the upper middle register too much. donkey :ciappa:

after looking at someone else post i decided to have a look at the banana plugs in the back of my amp with an eye to removing them. to my horror the negative on the left f30 FELL out when i touched it !

the plugs have now been done away with and i checked out the offending dvd again and it sounded better, much more vibrant.

i miss old style 12" woofers, that was what i called bass. My bass amp has a 12" speaker in it so why cant hifi speakers?

hydroman
07-02-2008, 11:21 AM
^get a powered 15" sub.

Problem solved.

It is like the bass player is in the room. You really hear it so much better.

Gab
07-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Good bass is warm and defined ?
It depends what you listen too !!! on a good audio evry single cd should sound very different
Some prefer slack bass (small driver do that ) to get a warm bass in disco / rock music

A 15 sub is very good , it can be built very easy also but i dont have any to recommend to you, i only have 12 inches ones and 8 inches, the 12 inches is so crisp you cannot listen disco or rock because its excessive , it nails your tympany , on the other hand the 8 inches has a warmer bass and less punchy.

For your information , i know there is bass filters and amplifiers you can use to cut frequency below 20 hertz and gain 0 - 3 db in the 20 - 160 hertz region to compensate for poor equipement or woofer response curve, all you need is two like these and separate woofer power amp, THERE is many company selling integrated woofer - amps like for your guitar amp :)

hydroman
07-09-2008, 10:52 AM
^ To save moola I looked at a lot of commercial/music equipment amps for my sub.

I discovered that VERY few have:
-RCA inputs
-Stable to 2 ohms in Mono mode
-put out the 1000w I need...
-run quiet (usually have always on e' fans)

This is why i ended up with the Dayton amp.

musicman1999
07-09-2008, 04:10 PM
I have that disc, no bass issues here, sounds great. Have you tried the 2 channel pcm track, it is great.

bill