WTF happened to my stereo? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : WTF happened to my stereo?

GMichael
06-25-2008, 07:58 AM
We were away for the weekend. When we got back, we found that there had been at least one power outage (blinking clocks everywhere). I turned on the stereo, but something sounded different. For some reason it was in one of those stupid music modes that Yamaha's have. I hit the memory button to reset the system but it stayed in the same mode. It went through the loading sequence, but loaded the wrong settings. After switching it manually to "Straight" mode, it still didn't sound right. I went into the setup menu to see what was up. Everything had been changed. Crossover points, input defaults, speaker levels, EQ settings, everything was different. So I put the system though the original set up program. After it was done, I went in manually to tweak the settings. But the remote wasn't working correctly. I can select functions and settings with the enter button, but the up, down, right & left keys don't work. I can't get into everything without them. Heck, I can't even save the changes I can make. I swapped out the batteries in the remote and there was no change. I can go into the menu and exit, turn power on & off and, change the volume. But I can't go into straight, or pure direct modes, or change from DTS to DD with the remote. I can select them manually from the receivers physical controls though.
I shut the system down and unplugged everything for a few minutes. No help. The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V2500. It has worked perfectly up until this point. None of my other systems seem to have been affected.
What the heck man? Do I have a gremlin?

E-Stat
06-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Do I have a gremlin?
Find out the process for a complete system reset. The remote for my Oppo DVD player went funky one time requiring such a procedure. Perhaps you might look on the Yammie website to see if they publish the usually arcane sequence for doing so.

Reminds me of the problem my elderly father had with his beloved TV during his latter years. When the power failed, everything reset and no channels were available.

rw

nightflier
06-25-2008, 08:29 AM
I know it's probably not next on your list of things to do, but if you had it connected to a power center, you could look into that multi-thousand dollar connected equipment warranty these guys typically advertise.

kexodusc
06-25-2008, 08:33 AM
GM, I had a similar problem with my Marantz receiver several years back. Power failure put it into a protection mode. Reset didn't do anything, but I took it to the shop and if I remember correctly they disconnected a battery and just put it back in? Sounds like what they might do for a computer's motherboard.

Should be fixable either way. I hope.

GMichael
06-25-2008, 08:43 AM
GM, I had a similar problem with my Marantz receiver several years back. Power failure put it into a protection mode. Reset didn't do anything, but I took it to the shop and if I remember correctly they disconnected a battery and just put it back in? Sounds like what they might do for a computer's motherboard.

Should be fixable either way. I hope.

Hmmmmm.. Maybe a Cmos battery huh? I might be able to fix that myself. If worse come to worse, I can bring it in to where I work. Our techs did a great job of fixing our CEO's B&K monster a few weeks ago.

I've been looking through the manual and Google for the reset, but haven't found anything but the remote reset function.

kexodusc
06-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Hmmmmm.. Maybe a Cmos battery huh? I might be able to fix that myself. If worse come to worse, I can bring it in to where I work. Our techs did a great job of fixing our CEO's B&K monster a few weeks ago.

I've been looking through the manual and Google for the reset, but haven't found anything but the remote reset function.
Hate to state the obvious, but Yamaha recommends unplugging the receiver for 30 seconds in the event of lighting flash etc and improper operation in the troubleshooting guide. Did you try that yet?

GMichael
06-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Hate to state the obvious, but Yamaha recommends unplugging the receiver for 30 seconds in the event of lighting flash etc and improper operation in the troubleshooting guide. Did you try that yet?

Yeah, I tried that. Tonight I'll try resetting the remote.
Everything else seems to work fine, but without the remote working, I don't see a way to reset the EQ's to flat.

Rich-n-Texas
06-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Uh oh! Ya know, something like that (though not to the same extent, I don't think) happened to my receiver after a power outage a couple of weeks ago. The speaker distances were no longer correct and I couldn't scroll left through the setup menu after entering Basic setup

audio_dude
06-25-2008, 09:43 AM
I know it's probably not next on your list of things to do, but if you had it connected to a power center, you could look into that multi-thousand dollar connected equipment warranty these guys typically advertise.

thats...actually not such a bad idea if he can't get the thing working again.

Although, they'll probably want the receipt...and it might be hard to convince them that the remote not working warrants replacing the unit.

RGA
06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Holy crap that sounds like you have mission control inside a box - sometimes it's so nice to have an amp with a power knob and a volume knob.

I have a surround sound DTS marantz thingy and every time I look at the remote I decide to just go back into my 2 channel room. call me when they have the voice command receiver - "hey machine - play "Raiders of the Lost Arc" the way the director intended." bleep bibble gork and on it goes.

basite
06-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Although, they'll probably want the receipt...and it might be hard to convince them that the remote not working warrants replacing the unit.

easy to find out...

a while ago, the remote for our yammie simpy refused to work, you can reset the thing, to standard factory settings. after that, it worked fine again. if it doesn't work then, after you resetted the remote, the problem lies in the receiver :D

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

kexodusc
06-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I tried that. Tonight I'll try resetting the remote.
Everything else seems to work fine, but without the remote working, I don't see a way to reset the EQ's to flat.
Hmmm...that's a pickle. Should be able to reset the receiver and/or remote and go from there, if some of the Remote functions work then YPAO should still be accessible. Might not be tweakable though?

I wouldnt' say it's a gremlin given the few years of flawless service sounds like a nasty surge causing some software or code to screwy somewhere. I lost a whole computer to a storm once. The hard drive was salvageable, the video and sound cards were not! I had a surge protector too, which still "worked" after, but obviously never worked well to begin with. :(

GMichael
06-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Holy crap that sounds like you have mission control inside a box - sometimes it's so nice to have an amp with a power knob and a volume knob.

I have a surround sound DTS marantz thingy and every time I look at the remote I decide to just go back into my 2 channel room. call me when they have the voice command receiver - "hey machine - play "Raiders of the Lost Arc" the way the director intended." bleep bibble gork and on it goes.

Funny stuff Rich. I already have it set to come on the same time I get up each morning. I walk out to the kitchen to make coffee and the music is already playing. No voice commands needed.
I did pay the extra $25 for a 5 year warranty. If I can't fix it, it will go back.

Groundbeef
06-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Funny stuff Rich. I already have it set to come on the same time I get up each morning. I walk out to the kitchen to make coffee and the music is already playing. No voice commands needed.
I did pay the extra $25 for a 5 year warranty. If I can't fix it, it will go back.

Too bad Melvin isn't here. I'm sure he would have an inciteful comment to help you out.

Is there another remote you can use (ie universal) to see if indeed it is the remote? Maybe its the operator?

GMichael
06-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Too bad Melvin isn't here. I'm sure he would have an inciteful comment to help you out.

Is there another remote you can use (ie universal) to see if indeed it is the remote? Maybe its the operator?

The one I have works for the most part. I just can't set my EQ back to bypass or a few other minor tweaks. I already switched it to STRAIGHT mode manually. I usually don't use anything else anyhow.
I'll try to reset the thang tonight.

bubslewis
06-25-2008, 02:34 PM
If you can afford the time, try leaving the receiver unplugged for a lengthly period. (like maybe a day or three). Some balky equipment that I've had took a while to totally lose memory and reset to factory default.

Bill

pixelthis
06-25-2008, 11:42 PM
The one I have works for the most part. I just can't set my EQ back to bypass or a few other minor tweaks. I already switched it to STRAIGHT mode manually. I usually don't use anything else anyhow.
I'll try to reset the thang tonight.

Been about three years, but it seems that the memory in those yamahaha thingies
lasts about a week.
If you want to reset it it requires pushing the power button and one other, camt remember.
Have a boat? Some quikcrete and a chain, and you have a nice new boatanchor...:1:

GMichael
06-26-2008, 06:00 AM
Have a boat? Some quikcrete and a chain, and you have a nice new boatanchor...:1:

If it actually stops working, I may do that. In the mean time, it still works too good to be tossing it.

Groundbeef
06-26-2008, 06:03 AM
If it actually stops working, I may do that. In the mean time, it still works too good to be tossing it.

We are still talking about your remote no? Otherwise remember, this is a PG-13 board.