"Superbad" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "Superbad"

Worf101
06-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Man, I MUST be getting old. Found this movie to be eh.. my 15 year old thought it was the best thing since "War and Peace". I found it to be un-funny for long stretches at a time. It had none of the charm and warmth of "Napoleon Dynamite" or "Little Miss Sunshine". I felt for none of the characters and in the end, passed on the ending.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
The impression I got from previews and reviews was this is just more of the same ol' crude college humor a la American Pie. Won't be wasting my money on it.

bobsticks
06-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Hey Worfster,

Tell ya what, I'l meet you halfway on it. I agree that skinny kid was as lifeless as an exhumed body but I thought the fat kid was kinda funny. I'll also agree that it shouldn't be on anyone's top ten but I've seen far worse movies that have been the darlings of the critics. Overall, I wasn't as irritated as you obviously are but, then again, it has been argued on several occasions that my arrested development would place me closer to the fifteen year-old mentality anyway.

http://www.blogadilla.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/mclovin1.jpg

dean_martin
06-25-2008, 11:33 AM
I was about to turn it off 10-15mins in. I think it spent too much time on potty-mouth humour from the fat guy at the beginning which almost sunk it for me. After that, I thought it picked up the pacing and became at least entertaining.

Troy
06-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Has your 15 year old actually seen War and Peace?

But yeah, I was meh about Superbad too. I laughed a number of times, but was expecting a whole lot more from the same crew that made "40 Year old Virgin" and "Knocked Up." So many reviewers compared it favorably to those movies, but Superbad was saddled with the same old teen-quest plot that's been beat to death for decades. Same old, same old. To a 15 year old who hasn't already seen 300 movies like this, yeah, it's genius. As if we should be listening to 15 year olds about what movies are good . . .

And yeah, I've had it up to here with that fat jewish kid almost as much as I have with Jack Black. At least we all know know Black's name . . . but it's been a loooong 15 minutes for both those clowns.

Groundbeef
06-25-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm no prude, but that movie was terrible. My wife and I both about pissed ourself watching American Pie.

We about passed out from lack of funny in Superbad.

Frankly it would have been funnier with a 75% reduction in the use of "F*ck". Swear words are not a substitute for humor.

McLovin was funny though.

kexodusc
06-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Who the hell goes into Superbad with any kind of expectations?
It was funny as hell at times, but nothing I hadn't seen before. Whatever. I'm not aware of a golden rule that says all movies must be original.
It wasn't made for us, it was made for a much younger crowd. I suspect it is much more modern and "funny" to the youth of today than American Pie, Porky's etc.

I thought the cops saved the movie.

Groundbeef
06-26-2008, 06:00 AM
Who the hell goes into Superbad with any kind of expectations?
It was funny as hell at times, but nothing I hadn't seen before. Whatever. I'm not aware of a golden rule that says all movies must be original.
It wasn't made for us, it was made for a much younger crowd. I suspect it is much more modern and "funny" to the youth of today than American Pie, Porky's etc.

I thought the cops saved the movie.

The expectations were raised by the inordinate # of mainstream critics that fell in love with the movie. I'm not talking about "Bob from nowhere says Superbad...Funniest movie ever!!!" types either. Big names in the industry.

Hell, Terri Gross on NPR interviewed a couple of the actors and the Director even. After that, figured..."Well, must be funny if even NPR is reviewing it".

Worf101
06-26-2008, 06:25 AM
The expectations were raised by the inordinate # of mainstream critics that fell in love with the movie. I'm not talking about "Bob from nowhere says Superbad...Funniest movie ever!!!" types either. Big names in the industry.

Hell, Terri Gross on NPR interviewed a couple of the actors and the Director even. After that, figured..."Well, must be funny if even NPR is reviewing it".
If Terri Gross thought THAT was funny, then the price of crack has really hit bottom!!! Man I still respect her and love her interviews but I'll never, ever trust a movie pick from her again. Wow.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
06-26-2008, 06:39 AM

Wow, that's sad. I saw a lot of previews for it, but didn't run into many glowing praises for it.

kexodusc
06-26-2008, 06:41 AM
If Terri Gross thought THAT was funny, then the price of crack has really hit bottom!!!
BWA ha ha haha...HI-OOOOOO!!!
Too funny...I'm stealing it...

Groundbeef
06-26-2008, 08:51 AM
If Terri Gross thought THAT was funny, then the price of crack has really hit bottom!!! Man I still respect her and love her interviews but I'll never, ever trust a movie pick from her again. Wow.

Da Worfster

I will have to go back and re-listen to the interview. I don't belive that she ever explicitly stated that she loved the movie per-se, but was more interested in the directors choice to use un-known non-actors for the most part.

With the exception of the chubby dude, most of the main charcters were new to the industry. The director either knew them, or thought the awkwardness of a new actor would play well in the role.

Either way, I fell for it, and thought I'd give it a try.

BTW there have been other movies that Terri has talked about, and I rented. Mostly duds. Although one of my favorites is a movie called "Kitchen Stories" based on a study done in Sweden in the 1950's about single men and their cooking habits.

I know it sounds really dry, and it was. But for some reason it was a delightful little film, full of unanticipated moments of hilarity.

Not to mention that it is filmed entirely in Swedish, and subtitled in english. If you haven't seen it, give it a go, especially if you have NetFlix.

Here is a short bit about it:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0323872/

3-LockBox
06-27-2008, 07:20 AM
I thought it sucked too. But then again, I never get these kinds of rambling, "whats-this-movie-about?" kind of movies. But then again, I barely made it through Napolean Dynamite. I didn't think Office Space was that bust-a-gut funny either.

They remind me of one of those SNL movies that use reocurring characters from the show as protagonists, a one-note premise, and call it good. Funny at times, but disposable. Super Bad wasn't a complete waste of time, but not a repeater for me. I guess every generation needs their Animal House, Vacation or Caddyshack.

bobsticks
06-29-2008, 04:42 PM

Didn't she used to be like, "Yooouuu aaaaarre the weakest link! Bye bye." ???

---------http://blogs.zdnet.com/keen/images/terrygross.jpg

Whhoooo, that's not-even-with-Rich'n'Texas'-unit-fugly.

Groundbeef
06-30-2008, 12:47 PM

She is an odd duck. But she is a pretty good interviewer.

Worf101
07-01-2008, 04:02 AM

I always had a thing for Miss Jane Hathaway from "The Beverly HIllbillies". Fantasies that usually involved Jodpurs and a riding crop, possibly an SS Officer's cap.. Ms. Gross would fit in quite nicely...

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
07-01-2008, 09:30 AM
I always had a thing for Miss Jane Hathaway from "The Beverly HIllbillies". Fantasies that usually involved Jodpurs and a riding crop, possibly an SS Officer's cap.. Ms. Gross would fit in quite nicely...

Da Worfster
Now that is a mental image I did NOT need! :mad2:

GMichael
07-01-2008, 09:44 AM

Da Worfster

I bet you had a crush on the Louis Lane from the original B&W Superman TV series .

Worf101
07-01-2008, 10:27 AM
I bet you had a crush on the Louis Lane from the original B&W Superman TV series .
Too butch.... But Lucy was.... interesting.

Da Worfster

GMichael
07-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Too butch.... But Lucy was.... interesting.

Da Worfster

A wild redhead is something every man should experience at least once.

bobsticks
07-01-2008, 02:42 PM

Da Worfster

FWIW I know places in which we can turn this into reality.

Worf101
07-02-2008, 04:40 AM
FWIW I know places in which we can turn this into reality.
When I was younger I had the will but not the means. Now I've the means but not the nature... (well perhaps if I were PUT into the situation things might change). No, after two overseas tours and having lived single most of my adult life there's very few fantasies I've not... ahem put to the test. But thanks for the thought.

Da Worfster

3-LockBox
07-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Hey Worf, they didn't call us servicemen fa nuthin.

Rich-n-Texas
07-02-2008, 04:21 PM
When I was younger I had the will but not the means. Now I've the means but not the nature... (well perhaps if I were PUT into the situation things might change). No, after two overseas tours and having lived single most of my adult life there's very few fantasies I've not... ahem put to the test. But thanks for the thought.

Da Worfster

Hey Worf, they didn't call us servicemen fa nuthin.
Obviously, this is where I FVCKED UP!!! :mad2:

Am I allowed to ask for 25 years of my life back?

ForeverAutumn
07-04-2008, 04:50 AM
I watched this movie last night. Hubby really wanted to see it and it happened to be on the movie channel. I wasn't expecting it to be good by any stretch. But it sucked even more than I thought it would suck. Total and complete suckage.

The only thing that remotely saved it were the cops. They were kinda funny. But otherwise a total waste of two hours of my life.

s dog
07-04-2008, 02:28 PM
I watched this movie last night. Hubby really wanted to see it and it happened to be on the movie channel. I wasn't expecting it to be good by any stretch. But it sucked even more than I thought it would suck. Total and complete suckage.

The only thing that remotely saved it were the cops. They were kinda funny. But otherwise a total waste of two hours of my life. I agree the cops was just about it for me. The kid getting hit by the car was also kinda funny.

Worf101
07-11-2008, 07:51 AM

The only thing that remotely saved it were the cops. They were kinda funny. But otherwise a total waste of two hours of my life.
Man I knew the movie was bad but bad enough for F.A. (the modicum of decorum under even the worst of circumstances) to use the word "suck" three times in one post???!!!!! Good Lord man, that's blasphemy! Based upon her reaction this movie wasn't just bad... it was SUPERbad.

Da Worfster