AudioBill Aid - Care package list [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : AudioBill Aid - Care package list

Swish
06-24-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm gathering a decent number of cds to send to our good friend Bill and his family since they're stuck in a Motel 6 (or could it be a Ritz Carlton? They do have lots of class) due to the water damage in their home. So we're not redundant, I thought it best that we maybe start a little thread to list the tunes we're sending him and to see what kind of crap he's going to be subjected to in our packages. My list includes;

Pinback - Autumn of the Seraphs
Shearwater - Palo Santo
Augie March - Moo You Blood Choir
Spoon - A Series of Sneaks (possibly my favorite of the many great Spoon records)
British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music
The National - Boxer
Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
WXPN - Live at the World Cafe Volume 25
Swish's Big Indie Comp - 20 stellar tunes from all over the map

Anybody else got their package ready to ship?

Swish

Hyfi
06-25-2008, 04:03 AM
I just let Bill know mine will go out after vacation next week. I doubt my selections will overlap any of yours or others choices.

bobsticks
06-25-2008, 05:24 AM
Mine's already packaged and ready for flight later this afternoon. I think we've already become redundant on the British Sea Power,but other than that everything looks good. Of course the one I did has that Stick's jazz and World flavor so I doubt any other replication will take place...but somebody needs to include "Songs:Ohia".

3-LockBox
06-25-2008, 06:36 AM
I can contribute a double disc Black Sabbath comp (came out like 5 years ago) called The Best Of Black Sabbath (import) I'm an album collector and I just don't listen to 'best ofs'.

I also have an AC/DC Dirty Deeds remastered CD that is redundant in my collection.

I have a Bob Dylan comp of a bunch early demos and rareties called No Direction Home: The Soundtrack. I got it as a birthday gift and I've never listened to it (not much of a Dylan fan).

I'll go through and take a closer look. There have been some incredible deals on Amazon of late.

I need an addy.

BTW: AudioBill's PMs are full and cannot accept anymore.

ForeverAutumn
06-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Bill sent me a PM to let me know that he is still getting mail at his house. If you have his address, you can send stuff there and he'll get it. If you need his address, send me a PM...since his mailbox is full.

Bernd
06-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Mine will go out on Friday if he gets round to sent me his addy.

Troy
06-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Yes, I need an address.

Also, can I just sendja an 8 hour mp3 disc? Does your player handle that?

Hyfi
06-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Yes, I need an address.

Also, can I just sendja an 8 hour mp3 disc? Does your player handle that?

Good question, I could create many disks full of MP3s.

Hyfi
06-25-2008, 04:57 PM
I had a few dups and Mrs Hyfi will burn the rest and get them to the post office Friday.

1 disk MP3 - 7 albums
Fleet Foxes
Iron and Wine
Keller Williams
Squarepusher
Madeski Martin & Wood
Boards of Canada
Roots Tonic Meets Bill Laswell

CDs

Marcus Miller - M2
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
......compliments of Mr Peabody

Moe - No Doy
Cold Play - Parachutes
Green Day - Dookie

Comps
Rippin' Good Fusion - Volume 2
Smooth Jazz Pizazz! - Volume 1
by Hyfi

Queen Sampler by RPM

I hope there is something here you or your wife will enjoy. Good luck getting everything resolved and hopefully your insurance claim will buy you a nice new kit.

Cheers!

Bernd
06-25-2008, 10:08 PM
I'd managed to put my package together last night, hence it will leave for the Wild West today.
My contributions to the musical melting pot are:

Sigur Ros - new one
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
James - Hey Ma
Shearwater - Rooks
The Felice Brothers - Self Titled
Shawn Mullins - Honeydew
Ecki - Mono
Alberta Cross - The Thief & The Heartbreaker

Swish
06-28-2008, 12:31 PM
...he has them within a week or so. I used the first class method, but going to Canada isn't the same as withing the states.

I was having trouble ripping certain cds using my PC and Nero software, then I remembered my Dell laptop has a burner (it's a refurb from Dell Outlet that I bought about 3 months ago) that I hadn't used, so I fired it up and had the other ripped in no time with the Roxio software. I think my player on the PC is the culprit, but I'll have to pull it and try to clean it before I can say for sure. I know a lot of cds skip on playback, so perhaps the laser is dirty.

Swish

Troy
06-28-2008, 12:33 PM
weird crap is on the way.

Swish
06-28-2008, 12:37 PM
weird crap is on the way.

...that he requested. Oh, now wait a sec...this is Troy we're talking about. Never mind.

Swish

Troy
06-28-2008, 08:17 PM
...that he requested. Oh, now wait a sec...this is Troy we're talking about. Never mind.

Swish

You want some too? It'll expand your miiiiind. Addy please.

Anyone else? Catch me while I'm in the mood.

bobsticks
06-29-2008, 05:03 AM

I'm down daddy-o.

Troy
06-29-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm down daddy-o.

Address please.

Swish
06-30-2008, 04:00 PM

I thought you were messing with me...like Bobsticks or some other nut-bucket. Check your PM. I guess I'll try to stay open-minded, but our tastes are pretty far apart. Like that's a stretch.

Swishdaddy

bobsticks
07-01-2008, 03:05 PM
I thought you were messing with me...like Bobsticks or some other nut-bucket. Check your PM. I guess I'll try to stay open-minded, but our tastes are pretty far apart. Like that's a stretch.

Swishdaddy

Evidently I m the only "nutbucket" with enough endurance to engage in any longterm x'ian-yan-king...and it's not surprising that your preferences would diverge form those of any tasteful, artistic person...hehehe

I am glad to see so many jumping on the audiobill cause.

Swish
07-02-2008, 02:45 AM
Evidently I m the only "nutbucket" with enough endurance to engage in any longterm x'ian-yan-king...and it's not surprising that your preferences would diverge form those of any tasteful, artistic person...hehehe

I am glad to see so many jumping on the audiobill cause.

Oh man, have you heard some of the stuff he likes? The guy knows how to take a picture, but his musical tastes are quite another subject. :out:

Swishbaby

Troy
07-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Just you wait. I'm expecting a full report.

bobsticks
07-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Was that a Zither in "You Gotta Taste All The Fruit"?

Undoubtedly the holiday's frivolity led to a very real dissolution of synaptic fluid...my acoustic ganglion was shark bit daddy-o...but I needed this just to get right.

But, jes mang, I cang deal wid it...though I don't think that the in-the-know shopper shops dowtown. But who cares, all them cleaned and scrubbed and well-coifed priivates are where it's at. Might as well get some before the frogs come.

Troy
07-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Hey man, no one can be rational about hair.

jrhymeammo
07-07-2008, 05:57 PM
I wish you a quick recovery my man!

Wood Brother's - Loaded
Marc Cary - Trillium
Coleman Hawkins - Prestige Profile
Daptone - Remixes and Originals
Tadd Dameron and Coltrane - Mating Call
Jason Moran - Artist in Residence
...and maybe another one, but I seriously cannot remember at this moment.

I hope it'll be there before this weekend.

Best Wishes,

JRA

Hyfi
07-08-2008, 08:44 AM
I have not seen any posts from AudioBill lately. Has he received anyones package yet?

Swish
07-08-2008, 12:28 PM
I have not seen any posts from AudioBill lately. Has he received anyones package yet?

...in a hotel. I remember he mentioned that in an earlier post. I know he's a teacher and has the summer off, and perhaps they're away on vacation or something. I know I'd want to get the heck out of that hotel for a week or so if I were in his shoes!

Swish

audiobill
07-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi to all of my raverecs buds!!

I just got back from my mailbox and was pleasantly surprised by three beefy packages from you all. My wife and I decided to ditch everything for one week and we boarded a plane down to Bradenton, Florida for an escape with both of our daughters, in tow.

It was just what we needed. Sun, sea, and far far away from our hotel room and our contractor/insurance woes.

Suddenly, I have all kinds of great music to listen to upon the return to our hotel room on our new portable CD playa!!

Bernd is up first with the Felice Brothers
Swish is up next with Shearwater and
Hyfi is up next with Moe.

And what's so exciting is that I have several days in a row to listen to the rest of the hypergenerous packages these kind people pulled together for us!! And I mean hypergenerous!!

I know that several other RR buds have pulled music together, as well; yet it has not arrived yet. That includes 3-LockBox, Bobsticks, Troy, and the everfeminine and beguiling ForeverAutumn. I'll keep you all posted on the packages, as I receive them and, if I've missed someone, please please please pm me, so that I can remedy that.

I can't tell you enough how these gestures of generosity and friendship have meant to us, as we go through this process of getting our home back. At a later date, I'll be pulling together the entire story for you, when it's less raw and all is said and done.

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill & family

Swish
07-08-2008, 02:10 PM

I just got back from my mailbox and was pleasantly surprised by three beefy packages from you all. My wife and I decided to ditch everything for one week and we boarded a plane down to Bradenton, Florida for an escape with both of our daughters, in tow.

It was just what we needed. Sun, sea, and far far away from our hotel room and our contractor/insurance woes.

Suddenly, I have all kinds of great music to listen to upon the return to our hotel room on our new portable CD playa!!

And what's so exciting is that I have several days in a row to listen to the rest of the hypergenerous packages these kind people pulled together for us!! And I mean hypergenerous!!

I know that several other RR buds have pulled music together, as well; yet it has not arrived yet. That includes 3-LockBox, Bobsticks, Troy, and the everfeminine and beguiling ForeverAutumn. I'll keep you all posted on the packages, as I receive them and, if I've missed someone, please please please pm me, so that I can remedy that.

I can't tell you enough how these gestures of generosity and friendship have meant to us, as we go through this process of getting our home back. At a later date, I'll be pulling together the entire story for you, when it's less raw and all is said and done.

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill & family

...the resident genius. Anyway, good to hear you got out of that hotel for a bit and hope you get back into your home ASAP! And make sure you listen to the Big Indie comp I put together. Fun stuff and nothing too obscure...like that's a good thing.

Take care buddy,
Swish

Hyfi
07-08-2008, 05:24 PM

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill & family

Your welcome! Glad you had a great vacation. Enjoy all the tunes. Tell us what you liked and what you didn't....It's OK, we'll roll with it.

bobsticks
07-09-2008, 06:44 AM

Jah. I postponed the shipping date on mine when the revised list of needs came out. The thought was that I could slip a couple more in for the wife and daughters...erm, that didn't sound right...so I could include some discs that everyone would like. It should work out well, a few more care packages waiting for your return to keep things fresh.

Bill, I think we'd all agree that it was the least we could do. Home is haven, I get crazy when mine is out of sorts. Hopefully these will offer some small level of comfort in trying times.

ForeverAutumn
07-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Bill, I have all the best of intentions to send a package your way but I haven't been able to put one together yet. My disks are still in storage and the home computer is still not yet set up. I hope to resolve both of those issues by the weekend and will pull something together for you as soon as I can.

Can your portable player play MP3s? It might be easier for me to burn some stuff from iTunes.

Oh, and if you're looking for some reading material to help you pass the time in your hotel room I highly recommend Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. In many respects it reminded me of A Long Way Gone, which I have you to thank for the recommendation. It's a memoir of an unbelievable life so far removed from our own that it reads like fiction...but isn't. It was an eye opening story that I couldn't put down.

Bernd
07-10-2008, 02:07 AM

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill & family

Good to hear that you took some time out. Sun, Sea and S** can work wonders. Also great to hear that the packages have arrived. And I am first on.:prrr: Well mine did travel a long way, so it's only fair.
It is really great to see this kind of spirit.

3-LockBox
07-10-2008, 07:01 AM
Your package is on the way.

audiobill
07-11-2008, 12:48 PM
I have just received 15 and a half hours of Troy's special selections. Already I'm starting to freakout with the otherworldly photography that I'm viewing on Troy's photographic website, I have my little portable cd player plugged into the power bar, as I type and view on the hotel's computer. Wow!!

Freaking to images and listening to outstanding music. My world is already a better place.

Btw,

I've given a spin of one disc from each of the generous packages.
Some instant listening impressions

Shearwater is pure bliss. Talk about a widely varied yet cohesive album. The first several tracks remind me of the Who's Quadrophenia. I don't know why but they just do. Also, I can hear some very engaging Ian Anderson like meanderings, especially from the Heavy Horses & Songs From the Wood era.

The Felice Brothers is beautiful afternoon stogie music. Enjoyed a fabulous Bolivar #2 out in the hotel courtyard, with the Felice Bros plugged in. They remind me of Bob Dylan in his barrelhouse piano days. Very enjoyable. Very relaxing.

Return to Forever is a wistful and fabulous aural mind trip. Man o man are Dimeola, Corea, and Clarke ever on top of their game on this one. I had this one playing the other night at the hotel room and my oldest daughter asked who this was - this is a good thing!!

Thanks-a-ton all for the listening pleasures and I'll keep ya all posted,

Bill

bobsticks
07-11-2008, 03:35 PM
I have just received 15 and a half hours of Troy's special selections. Already I'm starting to freakout with the otherworldly photography that I'm viewing on Troy's photographic website, I have my little portable cd player plugged into the power bar, as I type and view on the hotel's computer. Wow!!

Jah, I too got a taster although not 15 hours worth. Kinda surreal like listening to an old broadcast of "The Shadow" on the "Blue Velvet" set while sipping a Slow Gin Fizz...with a headfull of MDMA. Made me smile.

Them Felice Brothers are smooth...and a Bolivar #2? Life's starting to get right again, eh Bill?

Troy
07-12-2008, 12:29 AM
Just keepin' it weird for my pals at AR.

As I always say, dump the Musical Mayhem disc into your iTunes and let this stuff come up in the shuffle. It'll change your life.

Hope you get back home soon, Bill.

3-LockBox
07-12-2008, 12:13 PM
I gotta get this MM disc onto my Ipod, as I have no other player that plays MP3s besides the computer.

audiobill
07-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Wow!!

Where was I in 2006 when this disc came out? Just received a very generous package from
Bobsticks today. I carefully looked throught the little Cd-sleeve album that he so kindly included for names I did not recognize and lo and behold there's an album by the name Mish Maoul staring back at me.

The artist's name is Natacha Atlas and what a bewildering voice in a musical melange it is.

It's on its second spin here at the hotel and I'm getting into it more and more and more. Funny thing, I've veered away from the genre "world music" that was very hot about a decade or more ago because much of it became either too similar sounding or too strange for strange's sake and not for music's sake. Not this one.

I could easily see spinning this down by the beach or at a club. Some of the coolest electronica I've heard in my life. Period.

Thanks-a-ton Bobsticks. You made my week!! My youngest also appreciates those Cold War Kids that she immediately recognized.

Bill

bobsticks
07-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Very cool Bill, it's good to read a lil' happiness coming out of that part of your part of the world...sounds like everyone did the deal.

Good job crew.

bobsticks
07-15-2008, 06:16 PM

I could easily see spinning this down by the beach or at a club. Some of the coolest electronica I've heard in my life. Period...My youngest also appreciates those Cold War Kids that she immediately recognized.

Yeah, well never let it be said that I don't bring a fourteen year old's mentality to the proceedings :idea: :cornut:

audiobill
07-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Hey RRers,

Just had another surprise package from JRA akajrhymeammo awaiting for us in the mailbox today.

Grooving to Tadd Dameron & Coltrane right now. Fabulous Friday morning music!!
Next up, The Wood Brothers.

A BIG thank you to everyone for making our lives that much more enjoyable. Our timeline has just been pushed further into the future, so that leaves us in the hotel until August 26. What a bizarre trip this has been.

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill

jrhymeammo
07-18-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm glad it reached you. I guess Canadian Post was all backed up due to audiobill care packages.

Enjoy,
JRA

audiobill
07-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Hey 3-Lock,

Just listening to that Dylan set, as I type this.

The love just keeps porin in through my mailbox!! 3-Lock's generous package just arrived today and I wanted to say "thank you". The ACDC & the Sabbath are definitely going to see me through this bizarre experience. It's funny how under certain circumstances, the old familiar when it comes to music is what the music beast yearns for most.

Speaking of old familiar, can't wait to see the Eagles show in TO tomorrow night!! I have an extra ticket just for Swish (hahahaaahaahaha)

Thanks-a-ton everyone,

Bill

I can contribute a double disc Black Sabbath comp (came out like 5 years ago) called The Best Of Black Sabbath (import) I'm an album collector and I just don't listen to 'best ofs'.

I also have an AC/DC Dirty Deeds remastered CD that is redundant in my collection.

I have a Bob Dylan comp of a bunch early demos and rareties called No Direction Home: The Soundtrack. I got it as a birthday gift and I've never listened to it (not much of a Dylan fan).

I'll go through and take a closer look. There have been some incredible deals on Amazon of late.

I need an addy.

BTW: AudioBill's PMs are full and cannot accept anymore.

3-LockBox
07-22-2008, 02:52 PM
3-Lock's generous package

:yesnod:

something I'll never tire of reading or hearing

bobsticks
07-22-2008, 03:23 PM
:yesnod:

something I'll never tire of reading or hearing

Not gettin' enough validation at home?

3-LockBox
07-23-2008, 01:08 AM