Receivers with MP3/Ipod docking [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receivers with MP3/Ipod docking

johnston1957
06-24-2008, 02:28 AM
I was wondering if I could get some advice. I'm in the market for a receiver that I can connect an MP3 player and /or an I POD. Now, here's where the situation is a little unusual. I'm going to be using it outdoors to power speakers by the pool. The location for the receiver is in a screened-in porch which is dry, however it is humid in my part of the country and there is the potential for it to get wet by accident (thunderstorm). So, I don't think it would be wise to spend a lot of money on a top quality product. Is there something in the $150 to $250 range that would work for me?

Thanks
Jim

markw
06-24-2008, 02:53 AM
If you mean to actually "dock" it, which entails providing power and remote control, that may limit your choices. I'll leave that to others but will suggest an alternative plan of action.

If you just want to play it and don't mind using it's internal power, a cable like this one will allow you to plug it into any amp/receiver with an "aux" jack. I've even seen these at the local dollar stores.

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Mini-Plug-Computer-Stereo/dp/B000FEHO0U

This opens up a world of low-cost possibilities such as vintage stereos from flea markets, garage sales, cast-offs from friends.relatives, etc, etc...

Mike Anderson
06-29-2008, 09:51 AM
The Nyko cord may give you somewhat better sound:

http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Stereo-Link-for-iPod/dp/B0007LI13U

However, you should be able to find it for a lot less than $39. They were selling for something like $10-12 not very long ago.

markw
06-29-2008, 02:12 PM
The Nyko cord may give you somewhat better sound:

http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Stereo-Link-for-iPod/dp/B0007LI13U

However, you should be able to find it for a lot less than $39. They were selling for something like $10-12 not very long ago.Will these work for any other brand besides an "official " Apple Ipod?

Mike Anderson
06-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Will these work for any other brand besides an "official " Apple Ipod?

I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. They plug into the bottom of the iPod, which is a uniquely shaped slot of sorts. I don't know whether any other brand has such a connection.

pixelthis
06-29-2008, 11:17 PM
you cant walk into a store without falling all over devices with ipod "docks", some are waterproof.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH ONE OF THOSE?
And while I hate Bose for serious systems, if their ipod dock (299$) is anything like their media mate speakers that would be a good idea.
If you want really nice sound outside outdoor speakers run from a receiver in the house is the first choice.
But most just get a high powered boombox and most have ipod docks today :1:

markw
06-30-2008, 03:43 AM
Frankly, I don't see why they just don't incorporate a 1/8" stereo mini-plug aux input on boom boxes as standard practice. Car radio manufacturers and hi-buck table radios are finally coming around and doing it.

Then they can drop that stoopid cassette deck most boom-boxes have.

audio_dude
06-30-2008, 09:00 AM
I just use a 1/8" to RCA cable to connect to my stereo.

But the best sound I guarantee will come from the dock connector which doubles as a line out and has none of the sound problems (low bass, etc...) on the headphone jacks of iPods.

If you're just going to stick this outside, just search for a decent used receiver, preferably put it inside. If that's not possible, maybe try to make some sort of enclosure, or even just a cover to put on it when you're not using it.