Assistance in Home Audio Selection [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Assistance in Home Audio Selection

AnthonyElite
06-23-2008, 09:52 AM
I have a rather large room, 20foot by about 15foot. I divided it in half and one side is for my projector. I want tower speakers for front and back, center channel, and a sub. I have about $500-800 to spend. I was hoping I could get a nice receiver because I want to be able to use my computer, my laptop, or vcr, etc to hook up to. Any ideas? I'm located in Upstate NY. Thanks!

Mr Peabody
06-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Your budget is $500.00 to $800.00 for everything? Good luck!

An Onkyo 605 which is up to date with technology is around $399.00. If you don't have a HDTV or planning to go Blu-ray in the near future, you may be able to get a JVC or something for $199.00. Aside from the low end not having all the features you will also lack in sound quality. You might also pick up a used surround receiver from some one looking to upgrade.

I don't really know what to suggest for cheap speakers. You might take a look at Axiom, I haven't heard them but they are said to be pretty good and they only sell online which is supposed to give you a good bang for the buck. Athena at one point was supposed to be a good budget speaker but I haven't heard much about them in a while.

blackraven
06-23-2008, 08:12 PM
You are really pushing it with an $800 budget. I would consider the Infinity Primus line of speakers and either a nice used receiver or a cheap Yamaha HTR, JVC like Mr P suggested or Pioneer receiver. You might want to consider a Sherwood receiver as well. Skip the towers for the rear channels and go with bookshelf's. Look into the bottom line PSB sub which I've seen onsale for about $199.

Worf101
06-24-2008, 04:26 AM
Where abouts in upstate New York are you? As the others have said your budget is a bit unrealistic. Do you have any gear already that you can reuse? If not you're going to have to get used gear off of the Bay and local rags in order to get a full HT system that's not completely junk. Most everything will be "lagging edge" as a result no HDMI on that budget. But many of us started out that way and there's no shame in it.

Da Worfster

f0rge
06-24-2008, 05:01 AM
like said above go with an onkyo 605 or 606 receiver from ebay, should be able to get one for under $400 shipped.

as for speakers, you're probably not going to get towers, but scour ebay, craigslist and audiogon for good used deals, try to stick with known brands like infiniti, paradigm, klipsch etc.

but even so for $400 you're going to have a tough time getting a 5.1 setup, would you consider maybe only the front main speakers to start? then getting more speakers as you can afford them?

if you're dead set on new, pick up 4 infinity beta 20's, they're about $99 each from ebay or crutchfield and an infinity beta c250 center that you can get for about $120.

if you shop right, you' might be able to get it all for about $900 with the onkyo, but that still leaves you sub-less.

L.J.
06-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Yeah your gonna have to build slowly. It'll pay off in the long run though. I'd consider one of the mentioned AVR's......Onkyo, Yammie......and a good pair of bookshelf speakers to use as temporary mains. When you get some extra $$$$ you can move those bookshelves to the back to use as surrounds and replace them with better mains. Grab the matching center & a nice sub when the time is right and you got yourself a decent 5.1 system.

AnthonyElite
06-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Would it be unwise to purchase a used receiver unit?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000OBLARC/ref=dp_olp_2

Everywhere I have read has told me that the speakers should be of the same brand to insure an even sound. I can definitely compromise with bookshelf speakers for the rear. In that case is there a recommended brand set I should start with?

That leaves me at $450 after the receiver for front speakers, rear bookshelves, a sub, and center channel. If I'm going to do this in installments I think I would get the front first, then rear, then center channel, then sub. Any recommend sets if I take my time and save my money?

I plan on having all video output onto a projector, which I am hoping to spend around $500 for. The inputs will be from PC, and laptop mainly as mentioned.

I'd like to add that I will be listening to music on the system.

I live right near the Adirondacks, Potsdam

You guys have been great so far, fast to respond and realistic! Thanks!!!! :5:

Mr Peabody
06-24-2008, 04:15 PM
I buy from Amazon quite a bit. Mostly movies and CD's but I did purchase a refurb BR player. Buying used through Amazon is pretty safe, just check the sellers feedback.

For speakers there are several ways to go, I know Paradigm and B&W offer quality entry level which should offer a bit higher quality than most of the mass market stuff. I think Epos also starts reasonable but I don't have any experience with them. Acoustic Energy is good too but they aren't the last word in bass response but they offer a nice flat response for the money.

AnthonyElite
06-24-2008, 06:48 PM
I just sort of ran into these...are they any good? http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html

I could use that receiver on Amazon, then that set of speakers, and then what sub should I go with?

Mr Peabody
06-24-2008, 07:26 PM
I don't know much about them. Most internet based speaker companies offer at least a 30 day return. Maybe get the receiver and then audition some speakers with it.

www.crutchfield.com is pretty much retail unless running a special but their return policy and customer service is excellent if you wanted to try speakers from them. Take advantage of the reviews here if you find certain brands and models you are interested in.

RoadRunner6
06-24-2008, 11:14 PM
Actually you can get a very good system for your budget. However, you must have some faith here. Two thing you have to accept.

#1 Buy the speakers online. No, you cannot listen to them locally. You are going to have to take it on faith that these are very fine sounding speakers. I have almost 40 years experience in audio and can tell you the Athena brand (from Canada) is a very good speaker company. I guarantee you will be very pleased with the sound of one of the below systems. Athena was bought out by Klipsch and these models are discontinued. They are still very good sounding and a super buy at the below prices.

#2 Many newbies and even others mistakenly think they have to have tower speakers for good sound and good bass. This is absolutely not true. Bookshelf speakers have a number of advantages, mainly a lower price and plenty of bass down to the frequency where you will crossover to the sub (about 80 Hz). You will need to make or buy stands for them.

The receiver below is fine for driving these speakers with a sub (the sub has its own power amp) to very loud levels. I have listed several options for you to consider. The HSU sub is an upgrade and a superb sub for extra money. You can go with one of the tower speakers if you want. You can add up the total costs for any system you choose.

I recommend this sytem below as a great sounding system for the price with a super impressive sub.

Onkyo TX-SR506B receiver ... $250 (includes shipping and no tax, Vann's is an excellent online dealer)

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538299819?v_c=PriceGrabber&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=07-61247920-2

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR506&class=Receiver&p=i

4 each at $50 each (left, right, and two surrounds) of the Athena LS-100 bookshelf speaker, $200 plus shipping, no tax.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS100

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/v2/product.php?ident=LS-100+Bookshelf+Speaker

1 each Athena LSC-100 center speaker, $100 plus ship, no tax.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLSC100

1 each HSU STF-2 subwoofer, $350 plus ship, no tax.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

TOTAL COST = $900 (for $200 less and still a very good sub choose the Athena AS-P4100, total cost = $700 including the Onkyo)

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATASP4100B

Here are two tower speakers from Athena if you still would like the towers up front:

The LS-500, $150 each. (with 2ea LS-500, 1ea LSC-100, 2ea LS-100 surround and 1ea AS-P4100 = $900 including the Onkyo)

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS500

The LS-300, $100 each (with 2ea LS-300, 1ea LSc-100, 2ea LS-100 surround and 1ea AS-P4100= $800 including the Onkyo)

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS300

Etc, etc. Good Luck!

RR6

L.J.
06-25-2008, 06:18 AM
AA has a 5.0 Athena speaker package going for $595 which includes the speakers mentioned above. I have purchased speakers and some other gear from AA and the CS is great. 30 day return policy too.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATKLS500

I'd also keep in mind that an AVR offering HD audio decoding or at least accepts MC audio via HDMI is gonna offer the most future flexibility. The Onkyo 605 can handle this. I believe the 506 is video pass-thru only. I would hate to purchase a BR player or PS3 later on just to realize I can't take full advantage of the HD audio.

RoadRunner6
06-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Only one problem with that speaker package at $595. The same speakers separately are $500. They add $95 for cable. He can get plain old zip cord for much less and absolutely no difference in sound.

Also, you still really need the sub for good sound both for music and HT. Add $150. With the Onkyo 506 at $250 you are now at $900, $100 over his budget.

Adding the Onkyo 606 adds about $175-$200 more, now up to about $1100 and now about $300 over his budget.

I always try to take them at their word and keep within their budget or quite close. We can upgrade until the cows come home but if he can't afford it then we haven't done him any favors. If he in fact can afford the extra money then highly agree with the choice of the 606 (the newer model).

RR6

L.J.
06-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Only one problem with that speaker package at $595. The same speakers separately are $500. They add $95 for cable. He can get plain old zip cord for much less and absolutely no difference in sound.

Also, you still really need the sub for good sound both for music and HT. Add $150. With the Onkyo 506 at $250 you are now at $900, $100 over his budget.

Adding the Onkyo 606 adds about $175-$200 more, now up to about $1100 and now about $300 over his budget.

I always try to take them at their word and keep within their budget or quite close. We can upgrade until the cows come home but if he can't afford it then we haven't done him any favors. If he in fact can afford the extra money then highly agree with the choice of the 606 (the newer model).

RR6

Oh, I assumed the set had some sorta saving vs purchasing separately. I glanced at the prices. My bad.

I completely agree with your first post. I even tried to give you some rep points but I guess I already hit you recently.

Mr Peabody
06-25-2008, 04:18 PM
I 2nd LJ's post, the OP found the 605 used from Amazon for $299.00, a person would be crazy not to spend the extra $50.00 to have up to date decoding and features. In fact, I personally think it a bad move if you are buying a receiver to start off out dated and under featured. Sometimes a little extra money up front can save money and hassle in the future.

RoadRunner6
06-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks L. J. I don't know what "rep points" means.

I have suggested these Athena's to more than one person. They seem to me like a great bargain. I think they are also available at Amazon. I am particularly impressed with the Canadian brands. I have owned both Energy and Axiom. With the Canadian testing center they all seem to have an advantage in pumping out speakers that really have a nice flat response and superb vocal and musical qualities for a very reasonable price. Everything I have read about the Athena line has been very complimentary. Seems like HK and Klipsch are buying out many brands.

Although it is very helpful when someone gives a budget, I usually wonder if 10-20 posts into their thread they will end up doubling it. I try to stay in or close to their stated budget. That is naturally hard to do when you want them to do a slight upgrade here and there.

I often help friends or co-workers choose a system. They price shop very carefully. Sometimes they will opt for a speaker system or receiver cheaper than I have recommended on the logic that they just can't afford more. So I send them off to the local store or internet to buy. Later they admit that they ended up spending big bucks for extended warranties, expensive speaker wire and connectors that they could have put towards better speakers and/or receiver and other components. I say something like "you dumb sh*t." They explain that the salesman told them these extras were essential. (Damn, I forgot to warn them in advance!) OK, I'm rambling on here. Take care.

RR6 :D

Mr Peabody
06-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Don't forget Paradigm, aren't they Canadian?

Please don't get me started on extended warranties, he says restraining himself from going off on a lenthy rant.

Luvin Da Blues
06-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Don't forget Paradigm, aren't they Canadian?

I guess without PS around here much, it's up to me to be the PSB fanboy :yesnod: and get a shameless plug in from time to time.

RoadRunner6
06-25-2008, 09:06 PM
PSB, Paradigm, Axiom, Energy, Athena, Mirage (the last three were all part of API which was bought by Klipsch).

Did I miss any of the well known Canadian brands?

Mr Peabody
06-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Moosehead.... oh, never mind, wrong product.

I did not realize Energy and Mirage were owned by Klipsch.

RoadRunner6
06-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Some folks just can't keep their brew and their speakers separate (wonder why the imaging on those Dynaudio's gets a little blurred sometimes?). :confused5:

Klipsch bought out API and also Jamo several years ago.

RR6