Recent Rentals.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recent Rentals....

Worf101
06-23-2008, 06:07 AM
I finally broke down and joined the exodus from the local BlockBuster store and joined Netflix. Here's some recent rentals I did:

1. "Barbarella" - B - A movie you can only love if you're actually droppin' a tab. Holds siginificance for me only because it was the first time I saw breasts on cellulloid. I was permenantly scarred as a result. Funny, funny movie.

2. "Q" - C- A grade "Z" sci-fi er set in New York city produced by schlockmeister Sam Cohen about a giant winged serpent taking up residence in the Chrysler Building. Cheezey beyond words but with a stellar cast which included Richard Roundtree, Michael Moriarty and David Carradine. All working for a check and playing out the string save Moriarty who, as he did in his previous Cohen work "It's Alive" imparts his role with a pathos beyond his paycheck. DTS soundtrack as well, who knew?

3. "The Mist - A-Minus - I didn't have much hope for this latest adaptation of a Stephen King work but I must say that I was completely and pleasently surprised. Well acted, well scripted with a couple of standaout performances particularly Marcia Gay Harden as "Mrs. Carmody a religious zealot that makes the Spanish Inquisition look like a wiemie roast. Great surprize ending and a good time.

4. "Sailor For the King" - C-Plus - Obscure (so obscure that IMDB has no listing for it) postwar British film that I bought because I'd never heard of it before. Unlike those two classics "In Which We Serve" and "The Cruel Sea" SFTK has a love interest in it and pathos, and shows the Germans in a kinder post war light. Well filmed and with decent extra's including an alternate ending.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
06-23-2008, 07:05 AM
Hey Worf, thanks for sharing.

I loved Barbarella when I was 12. It was a big hit among my pubescent friends. Damned if I could follow the plot, but that's a movie I'd love to see again just for memory's sake.

The Mist - also felt this was surprsingly better than I expected and succeeded because it didn't try to do too much.

Never heard of the other two...might take a pass on them though.

L.J.
06-25-2008, 07:20 AM
I gotta chance to watch The Mist a few months ago. I liked it. One of the few rentals that I watched twice before sending it back.

SlumpBuster
06-25-2008, 01:40 PM
The Mist really surpised me. The thing that struck me the most was the good use of the special effects. I had read some reviews that said the effects were limited by the low budget and that it showed. I disagree. That final ride in the jeep with the giant creatures was just creepy and moody. The effects helped take the movie from the claustrophobia of the store to the great expanse of the outside. Good stuff.

dean_martin
06-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Q-The Winged Serpent! Damn, Worf. I went out of my way to find that on VHS probably 12 to 15 years ago. It used to show up in all the B movie books before the internet onslaught - again, WOW. Glad to see it's on dvd.

Worf101
06-26-2008, 06:16 AM
Q-The Winged Serpent! Damn, Worf. I went out of my way to find that on VHS probably 12 to 15 years ago. It used to show up in all the B movie books before the internet onslaught - again, WOW. Glad to see it's on dvd.
Man it figures you'd jump on "Q" LOL. You're the one guy around here I actually think comes from another dimension LOL. No just kidding I just think your tastes in films is so broad and your knowledge base so eclectic that I'm surprised that anything "surprises" you. "Q" with extra features and a DTS soundtrack (mostly for show, not much going on back and around) was a rare treat. Real schlock fest that one.

Da Worfster

Worf101
06-26-2008, 06:19 AM
The Mist really surpised me. The thing that struck me the most was the good use of the special effects. I had read some reviews that said the effects were limited by the low budget and that it showed. I disagree. That final ride in the jeep with the giant creatures was just creepy and moody. The effects helped take the movie from the claustrophobia of the store to the great expanse of the outside. Good stuff.
Excellent observations AND I'm glad nobody's throwing out any spoilage!!!! Which would you say was more entertaining, "The Mist" or "Cloverfield"?

Da Worfster

kexodusc
06-26-2008, 06:49 AM
Excellent observations AND I'm glad nobody's throwing out any spoilage!!!! Which would you say was more entertaining, "The Mist" or "Cloverfield"?

Da Worfster

Hmmmm...I liked them both a lot, but I'd give the edge to "Cloverfield"...more humour, and it didn't take away from the severity of the dire situation the characters were in. Tough to balance both in a sci-fi/monster movie. It was a weaker story, and less original than "The Mist" though...but as a popcorn muncher, winner by decision.

Troy
06-26-2008, 07:16 AM
I own the Barbarella soundtrack and love it. Great period music that's as campy as the movie.

Yes, the Mist is better than you think it will be. Gotta love that bleak ending.