RIP George Carlin [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RIP George Carlin

3-LockBox
06-22-2008, 11:34 PM
After Richard Prior, the only comedian that mattered was George Carlin. Always funny, he had a way of turning pop culture on its ear. He and Prior were the first counter-culture topical humouists to become icons...well, no one really comes close. He was funny and relevant for his entire career and not a whole lot of comedians can say that, hell, not a whole lot of anybody in show busines can say that.

Happy trails George.
http://www.comcast.net/articles/entertainment/20080623/ENTERTAINMENT-CARLIN-DC/

Ex Lion Tamer
06-23-2008, 04:30 AM
After Richard Prior, the only comedian that mattered was George Carlin.

I think you're forgetting a little someone named Lenny Bruce who paved the way for the George Carlins and Richard Priors of the world to do what they did without fear. Lenny Bruce "mattered" at least as much and probably much more than Prior or Carlin.

Having said that - It's really sad news - Carlin continued to be funny and relevant through this decade which is a incredible thing. He's the first stand-up who made an impact on me. I'm going to go home, dig up my copy of Class Clown and play it tonight.

Mr MidFi
06-23-2008, 05:40 AM
A funny, funny man. For my money, the best in the business. Beneath the counter-culture persona, behind the drug references, aside from the casual vulgarity...there was a brilliant mind that delighted in examining the absurd relationship between words and their meanings. He possessed one of the best BS-detectors in 20th Century America, and he wasn't afraid to use it.

He will be missed.

Rich-n-Texas
06-23-2008, 06:47 AM
I agree. Very sad. He was a *my generation* comedian who helped keep the world around me in pespective when I was a teen in the 70's. The only person who could make me laugh harder than him was Don Rickles. Kind of ironic that DR has outlived George C.

I'm going to go home, dig up my copy of Class Clown and play it tonight.
My older sister had the album; my brother-in-law idolized the guy, but I don't think it exists in the family anymore. Hopefully I can still get a copy somewhere.

Rest in peace George.

Troy
06-23-2008, 07:00 AM
George Carlin was an important part of my formative years. My best friend Bob and I would sit there when we were 14 and play "Class Clown" over and over and over again, laughing til we cried. Bob died on a motorcycle a few year later. I've always associated Carlin with Bob, so there's a double helping of melancholy for me today.

I saw Carlin perform live 5 times over the space of 20 years, and was even at the show that became his "Evening with Wally Londo" album. You can hear me laughing in the background all over that record. From the early 70s thru the mid 90s he was one of the very best. He changed comedy. (And yes, Lenny Bruce opened the door for Carlin / Pryor etc. but Bruce was never close to being as funny.)

In the last 10 years or so he became extremely bitter- his personality seemed to change after his wife died. The last few HBO specials he did were too angry to really be funny. But in his prime he was a perfect mix of dopey, crude, and observational.

The man was a strict atheist and always questioned the meaning of everything. He didn't take any crap from anyone and always questioned authority. I loved that about him.

3-LockBox
06-23-2008, 07:47 PM
(And yes, Lenny Bruce opened the door for Carlin / Pryor etc. but Bruce was never close to being as funny.)

Exactly. Who's more iconic, the guy who invented the automobile, or Henry Ford.

And you're spot on about the bitterness in his comedy in the last few years. A lot of his act was a diatribe more than it was jokes. But it was still funny. One of his observations pissed a lot of people off a few years back - where he said the biggest problem with todays youth was Mr Yuk stickers...

"Why are we so concerned in our society with saving the life of someone who thinks Drano is a snack? Haven't we all heard of natural selection? Why do we want that person to grow up and breed and drive cars? I have to paint my house every five years or so because I have to use crappy latex paint, instead of lead based paint, all because there are, eveidently, children who spend a good deal of their time eating paint off of walls, and the lead based paint will give them permanent brain damage or worse, kill them. I'm suggesting that a kid who could spend all day eating paint off of walls isn't that bright to begin with. And now they don't even sell those toilet bowl deoderant cakes anymore for the same reason - I say if a kid wants to eat a toilet bowl cake, let'em. It's better than giving the same kid the keys to a car ten years later.
My step-son is a poster child for that sentiment.

Mr Peabody
06-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Carlin was a part of everyone's life who remotely accepted comedy. Whether you agreed with him or not, he was funny, he was a master at finding things in life to point out that all of us seemed to over look.

The 7 words you can't say on radio. One of my favs was the joke where he replaced kill with **** and done a western skit, "sheriff we're goin to **** you dead".

3LB said something that got me to thinking, who is there to fill the shoes of Pryor or Carlin? Off the top of my head I can't think of one current or upcoming comedian that comes close to penetrating the fabric of society as they did.

One may come close, I'm thinking of Michael Moore. He has a different tactic but some of his stuff is brilliant. The brief TV show he had was incredible, I'll never forget the time he had a Nike rep on the phone denying Nike had a factory in Mexico and Mike was parked outside the factory in Mexico while making the call. As with Carlin, I'm sure Moore rubs many the wrong way but I can appreciate what he does.

emesbee
06-24-2008, 03:34 AM
He was not very well known here in Australia, I'm afraid to say. I did hear his '7 words you can't say on radio' recently, and thought it was brilliant. Will have to find out more about him.

Rich-n-Texas
06-24-2008, 04:36 AM
...The 7 words you can't say on radio. One of my favs was the joke where he replaced kill with **** and done a western skit, "sheriff we're goin to **** you dead".
"And we're gonna f*** ya slooooowwww". Hilarious!

3LB said something that got me to thinking, who is there to fill the shoes of Pryor or Carlin? Off the top of my head I can't think of one current or upcoming comedian that comes close to penetrating the fabric of society as they did.
The only person I can think of is Jerry Seinfeld.

One may come close, I'm thinking of Michael Moore. He has a different tactic but some of his stuff is brilliant. The brief TV show he had was incredible, I'll never forget the time he had a Nike rep on the phone denying Nike had a factory in Mexico and Mike was parked outside the factory in Mexico while making the call. As with Carlin, I'm sure Moore rubs many the wrong way but I can appreciate what he does.
I think you're talking about "The Awful Truth". Seasons 1 & 2 are available to rent at Blockbuster. He did a show some years before that, the name of which I can't remember. I actually got a kick out of it but that was before I gave a rat's ass about politics.

Worf101
06-24-2008, 04:48 AM
The world is a little smaller and a little colder with George and Richard gone. Indeet, sad, sad times. There have been many pretenders but only two kings... The kings are dead please find a replacement.

Da Worfster

3-LockBox
06-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Dave Chapelle could be from the same mold, but only time will tell. There have been many good stand-up comedians, even great ones, but who else have been relevant for over 3 decades? Robin Williams could, if he tried, but he doesn't seem intersted. Too many comedians burn out, either from over-exposure or just plain running out of ideas. Jerry Sinfeld got his TV show, and went stale.

Carlin and Prior both had such an underlying anger about their comedy that made them so edgy. Maybe Sam Kinison would have been; he had that same kind of comedic anger.

bobsticks
06-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Dave Chapelle could be from the same mold, but only time will tell. There have been many good stand-up comedians, even great ones, but who else have been relevant for over 3 decades? Robin Williams could, if he tried, but he doesn't seem intersted. Too many comedians burn out, either from over-exposure or just plain running out of ideas. Jerry Sinfeld got his TV show, and went stale.

Carlin and Prior both had such an underlying anger about their comedy that made them so edgy. Maybe Sam Kinison would have been; he had that same kind of comedic anger.

Yeah, I think the important phrase here is "comedic anger". So many times as comedians get more successful they lose the anger that got them there...happens to Rock bands too.

Mr Peabody
06-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Yeah, if Dave Chapelle could hold it together, he might go places. His show is awesome. He has done many great skits but the one that sticks out for me is the game show for white people who have black friends.

Robin went Hollywood, I can't say I blame him, hit movies buy more houses and cars than anger. Back in the 80's though I saw him live on HBO and he was amazing, he had me rolling.

Hey! Cheech & Chong are still alive. May not be doing the comedy so much any more but they were in there back in the day. Dave? Dave's not here man

ForeverAutumn
06-25-2008, 05:40 AM
Lewis Black.

Oh, and Dennis Leary before he went all "TV star" on us.

GMichael
06-25-2008, 09:18 AM
So long George. You'll be sorely missed.
IMO Robin is the only person who could fill George's shoes right now. But as others have said, he's gotten away from comedy lately.

Mr Peabody
06-25-2008, 06:45 PM
The only problem with Lewis Black is, who is Lewis Black.

Troy
06-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Six hours of old Carlin specials being broadcast on HBO2 tonite. The DVR is humming away . . .

DarrenH
07-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I'll miss you George.

RIP

Auricauricle
07-10-2008, 01:21 PM
"Somebody tell a joke!"

...And get me beer! Double quick!