TV/Speaker Distance [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TV/Speaker Distance

poopmanchu
03-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Hello all,

I am thinking of purchasing a large-screen Sony LCD rear-projection TV and a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7s as fronts. I have a limited amount of room where the equipment can go, and I am wondering how close to the TV I can put the speakers.

I assume they are magnetically-shielded, but can they be within a couple of inches of the TV, or is that still bad? The TV is big enough that they will be far enough apart for sound coverage, but what I am worried about is whether such proximity will negatively affect either the TV or the speakers, or both.

We're talking about 2 inches here.

thanks in advance,

ben

wasch_24
03-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Theoretically speaking you should be fine. Think about your center channel, I know mine is actually touching my T.V. Although main speakers will usually have larger magnets in them.

One option is go to the loval A/V store and ask them. Act like you are interested in buying the Paradigm's and ask about the magnetic shielding and the proximity you are looking at. If they immediately say that you'll be fine ask them if they can put the speakers next to a similar T.V. there in the store so you can be 100% sure.

If the magnetic shield is strong enough there should be no affect. If you put them next to the screen and you notice any anaomilies then you will know for sure and shouldn't put yours that close.

woodman
03-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Hello all,

I am thinking of purchasing a large-screen Sony LCD rear-projection TV and a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7s as fronts. I have a limited amount of room where the equipment can go, and I am wondering how close to the TV I can put the speakers.

I assume they are magnetically-shielded, but can they be within a couple of inches of the TV, or is that still bad? The TV is big enough that they will be far enough apart for sound coverage, but what I am worried about is whether such proximity will negatively affect either the TV or the speakers, or both.

We're talking about 2 inches here.

thanks in advance,

ben

Have no fear, Ben ... the TV set you're considering will NOT be affected by the magnetic fields of loudspeakers - period. You can place the speakers wherever you wish, they will not affect the TV, and the TV will not affect them. Do not do as Wasch advises and go to a local A/V retailer and inquire about this, there's no telling what sort of misinformation that might get you!

RPTVs in general are not affected by speakers being in close proximity - whether the speakers are "shielded" or not. The TV sets that are affected by magnetic fields are the direct-view CRT sets only.

Hope this clears your mind