Today's the day! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Today's the day!

ForeverAutumn
06-20-2008, 05:52 AM
This is off-topic for those who don't want to read anything non-music related but I wanted to share my happy day with my RR friends, before I have to dismantle the PC for a few days.

Today is the day that we get the keys to our new house! It took Hubby and I four years to find this house. We found a few others along the way, made offers, and were outbid (the housing market in Canada is the opposite than in the U.S. right now). There was only one other bidder on this house (it's a bit of a fixer-upper) and we finally won.

We've been packing all week, living in chaos, but excited as hell. We get the keys sometime today and the movers arrive at 8:00 tomorrow morning. My computer and our audio system (you can't pack w/o tunes) will be the last things to be dismantled later this evening so that we can move those items ourselves tonight (I knew that owning a pick-up truck and an SUV would come in handy one day).

I'm most excited about getting all my CDs out of storage (My CDs have been in storage for about 6 weeks, but I've managed to buy about a dozen new ones in that time :biggrin5: ) and having central air conditioning this summer. Also, getting away from our neighbour who I'm pretty sure is dealing drugs out of his garage.

Hubby and I have been discussing what the first song that we blast through the house will be. We live in a townhouse now so loud music has been a no-no for the last 12 years. I'll let you know what we decide on.

If anyone needs my new address, send me a PM and I'll pass it along. But our mail is supposed to be forwarded for the next 12 months.

kexodusc
06-20-2008, 06:10 AM
Well congrats on the move FA, hope it goes smoothly.

We've just started packing ours up, I have to be out of my place in 10 days....then 5-6 weeks living in limbo somewhere before our home is ready.

Take lots of before pics. The home I just sold was a fixer-upper too when we got it, and we don't have enough pictures to show the horrible color schemes and just how much work we did to it. For 2 years, every time we got frustrated painting yet another room, or tackling a big project that had a few bumps along the way we'd look at the few pics we did have.. Sometimes people have a way of seeing the glass half empty and we thougth the house would never be finished. But the pics show you how far you've come. You'll thank yourself later when you look back and admire your home.

Best of luck!

Stone
06-20-2008, 06:38 AM
Congrats on the new digs, although I don't envy you for going through a move. I hope it all goes well and without too much stress.

Hyfi
06-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Way to go! Glad to hear you getting into a house where you can listen above 40db:12:

basite
06-20-2008, 09:39 AM
CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS!!!

and post pics when you move in :D

no idea what would be the 'best-first-first-song-to-blast-through-your-new-house', but I would probably go with either DSOTM, or some Soundgarden, or even Porcupine Tree :)

REALLY LOUD.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Mr MidFi
06-20-2008, 10:07 AM
That's great, Esther. I'm glad for you both!

First song to blast at face-melting volume? I dunno. But you could do worse than Green Day.

Congrats!!!!

(While we're sharing happy news...my daughter's report card just arrived. Straight A's for the entire freakin' year.)

Finch Platte
06-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Nice! Have fun, and I hope the movers don't drop that new 8-track player. :biggrin5:

I wouldn't trust that forwarding thing, either. :frown2:

fp

Swish
06-20-2008, 11:26 AM
. Also, getting away from our neighbour who I'm pretty sure is dealing drugs out of his garage..

I personally don't like to drive very far to score my stuff, so having someone right nearby would be like heaven. Of course, you're only pretty sure he's a dealer. I would have asked just to make sure, then asked for a free sample.

Swish

Ex Lion Tamer
06-20-2008, 01:23 PM
This is off-topic for those who don't want to read anything non-music related but I wanted to share my happy day with my RR friends, before I have to dismantle the PC for a few days.

Today is the day that we get the keys to our new house! It took Hubby and I four years to find this house. We found a few others along the way, made offers, and were outbid (the housing market in Canada is the opposite than in the U.S. right now). There was only one other bidder on this house (it's a bit of a fixer-upper) and we finally won.

We've been packing all week, living in chaos, but excited as hell. We get the keys sometime today and the movers arrive at 8:00 tomorrow morning. My computer and our audio system (you can't pack w/o tunes) will be the last things to be dismantled later this evening so that we can move those items ourselves tonight (I knew that owning a pick-up truck and an SUV would come in handy one day).

I'm most excited about getting all my CDs out of storage (My CDs have been in storage for about 6 weeks, but I've managed to buy about a dozen new ones in that time :biggrin5: ) and having central air conditioning this summer. Also, getting away from our neighbour who I'm pretty sure is dealing drugs out of his garage.

Hubby and I have been discussing what the first song that we blast through the house will be. We live in a townhouse now so loud music has been a no-no for the last 12 years. I'll let you know what we decide on.

If anyone needs my new address, send me a PM and I'll pass it along. But our mail is supposed to be forwarded for the next 12 months.

Congratulations on the new home - what part of town are you moving to? Are you going to be suburbanites or are you staying close to the action?

Here's hoping your move goes smoothly. It can be a difficult time, but take it from someone who's done his share of dismantling and re-mantling the homestead - a calm don't-sweat-the-small-stuff attitude will serve you well in the end.

JohnMichael
06-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Congratulations and I am glad you had the good sense to move in summer. So many of my ex-friends decided to move in the winter.

I remember seeing the pictures of the house and I can not wait to see how great it will look with the FA touch. If you need help with decorating ideas I am sure we can all give advice and GM is the colour man with his colour scheme.

Did I put the extra U in the right place?

bobsticks
06-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Congrats Autumn, that's great news! The first house that I bought was new and I felt that it missed some of the character that my friends who (were smart and) bough fixer-uppers had. What a great opportunity to plant the flag in your own little corner of the world.

I hope moving goes as smooth as is practicably possible and I'll see if I can't scare up a little housewarming gift (forward that addy,please)

sticks

Luvin Da Blues
06-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Good on you FA, Congrats.

Me thinks you should play sumptin off "Moving Pictures"

Slosh
06-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Home is where you make your life. A house, no matter how nice, is still just a material possession.

Congrats but don't lose focus on the big picture :)

ForeverAutumn
06-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all the warm wishes everyone! I'm really looking forward to this move which will, hopefully, be the last time we move until we're ready to move to a retirement community 25 - 30 years from now.

Slosh, that's great advice and I'll try to remember that when Hubby and I are having one of many inevitable arguments over the kitchen renovation. Hehehe.

The computer is about to come down.

I likely won't get my CDs back until later in the week so that first tune will have to be a recent purchase or something already in my car. I'm thinking that it might just have to be Tom Sawyer off the new Snakes and Arrows Live CD. Just imagine that opening synth blasting through the house. YEAH BABY!!!