Hey Yo, Monkey Bones... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey Yo, Monkey Bones...

bobsticks
06-20-2008, 01:54 AM
You have the Califone live disc, Everybody's Mother? Snagged it yesterday for morning fare along with the suggested Calexico. How's come mah cover is different?

http://image.listen.com/img/170x170/6/1/9/9/839916_170x170.jpg

Slosh
06-20-2008, 04:25 AM
You have the Califone live disc, Everybody's Mother? Snagged it yesterday for morning fare. How's come mah cover is different?

http://image.listen.com/img/170x170/6/1/9/9/839916_170x170.jpgIs it good? I don't usually go for live/rarities/outtake type albums but I may have to make an exception for Califone (got everything else).

Davey
06-20-2008, 06:42 AM
Mine looks like this ...

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/mother.jpg

but they are all hand done so none of them are the same. Just on a cd-r Slosh, but it is very good, mostly recorded at various times in Chicago, but some live European radio shows and other shows. Works like kind of a career overview, with songs from the early Red Red Meat days up through the Heron King (although it doesn't always take the safe way home :)). It was a tour CD so didn't last long, but I'm sure is widely available to download. Or is it available again Sticks? I know they were talking about releasing a Volume 2 sometime as well ... and there's the film/DVD that has been in the works forever.

bobsticks
06-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Ooh, spinning again as one of us types and, yeah, it supercedes the usual "Live Album" schlock. As per Davey's description it does indeed encapsulate the years nicely and keeps a few interesting turns for the unwarry. After the introductory wall of sound they eschew the crowd mics creating a kinda "Califone-in-your-bathroom" effect. Little bit of buzz, little bit of hum but it works.

I couldn't say if it's "widely available" again but mine was perched between copies of "Roomsound" and "Heron King";a lonely little existence begging for a home. Gimme a minute Sloshy and I'll make like an audo sniper and reach out and touch someone.

sticks

Slosh
07-18-2008, 08:34 AM
It's not bad but why did they use mp3 files to create the CD-R? I mean the mp3s had to come from an uncompressed/lossless source so why not put those on the CD-Rs instead?

NP: I Am A Cold Rock. I Am Dull Grass. (a Will Oldham tribute album)

bobsticks
07-20-2008, 04:38 AM
It's not bad but why did they use mp3 files to create the CD-R? I mean the mp3s had to come from an uncompressed/lossless source so why not put those on the CD-Rs instead?

How did I know this would become an issue of contention? Tunes are good though...but I agree, it sadly becomes one of the many that gts more play in the car than anyplace else.

Slosh
07-20-2008, 11:43 AM
How did I know this would become an issue of contention? Tunes are good though...but I agree, it sadly becomes one of the many that gets more play in the car than anyplace else.It sounds good enough and was never available in a higher fidelity format. Still worth listening to :) I believe it started out as one of those iTunes exclusive deals.

Went on a bit of a Richard Davies shopping spree today.

Got me:
Telegraph which I've had for years on a CD-R of the LP. Thought it was about time to man up and buy a legit copy.

Barbarians which I have never owned before and have only heard one song.

There's Never Been A Crowd Like This which I only have in mp3 form. That whole man-up-and-buy-a-legit-copy thing again.

The Moles - Untune The Sky which I have never heard but is supposed to be great (more experimental than his solo stuff, though).

Cardinal - s/t Again, something I already have in mp3 form but I figured if I'm going this far might as well complete the collection. Well, sorta. There's another earlier Moles album but I could only find it at a rip-off price. I'll have to see how much I like Untune The Sky before plopping down the coinage.

Total price including shipping is $33.29. Not bad for five CDs.

bobsticks
07-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Nice take. I went the opposite route with it being in some otherworldly indie/electronica ennui. Today's haul included some Prokovofiev String Quartets, Vivaldi Arias, Archie Schepp, Al Stewart, a Naxos version of The Brandenburg Concertos, the new Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis album, and the new Beck for good measure.

I'm thinkin' you wouldn't be too happy but it's 'bout perfect for the neverending thunderstorms in these parts.