Has anyone auditioned the new Mission speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone auditioned the new Mission speakers?

acqui
03-09-2004, 08:06 AM
My friend has a set of older Missions and would like to use them as rear surrounds with one of the newer sets from Mission. He loves the Missions and just found out that they now established a dealer in the USA again. I was just wondering what their sound might be comparable to as it will be difficult to audition them. His mind seems set on getting them so I am at least trying to get some idea as to which ones might be best for his room size (22 x 20 x10)

topspeed
03-09-2004, 11:31 AM
My friend has a set of older Missions and would like to use them as rear surrounds with one of the newer sets from Mission. He loves the Missions and just found out that they now established a dealer in the USA again. I was just wondering what their sound might be comparable to as it will be difficult to audition them. His mind seems set on getting them so I am at least trying to get some idea as to which ones might be best for his room size (22 x 20 x10)

What model does he have? How much does he want to spend? I have the 780a Argonaut and the new ones sound very different IMO.

acqui
03-09-2004, 02:03 PM
I forgot the specifics, I know they are a bookshelf series from the mid 1990's. Have you heard the new ones and if so, what are they comparable to currently on the market? His price range for a front set with center would be around $1500-2000

topspeed
03-09-2004, 10:27 PM
I forgot the specifics, I know they are a bookshelf series from the mid 1990's. Have you heard the new ones and if so, what are they comparable to currently on the market? His price range for a front set with center would be around $1500-2000

I auditioned the 780 series when I was trying to build a HT system incorporating my 780a's as mains. That didn't work well at all as the voicing was totally different, especially the center channel (which wasn't very good imo). The Argonauts are more robust and ballsy than the current line, not really a surprise considering their two 8" woofers and 95dB sensitivity. You can blow the windows out with these things yet Sarah McLachlan still sounds sweet. The newer stuff is more refined, smoother in the treble, and very polite. I wouldn't use them to listen to Van Halen or 50 Cent, but they are very good nonetheless. Tell your friend I'll sell him my Argonauts for $600 ($1,800 new) :) Of course, he'll have the same challenge finding a center channel that I did.

Hope this helps.

acqui
03-10-2004, 06:32 AM
Thanks, Top, I'll relay the message but from what he's been hearing, he's thinking it may just be better to go with another brand and use those for music in another room.

topspeed
03-10-2004, 12:51 PM
Yep, that's exactly what I did. New set of B&W's all they way around. Couldn't be happier.

phillyguy
03-12-2004, 08:04 PM
I was debating the very same thing, using my old Mission 707's in a HT setup. I posed the question to Mssion UK, and they told me that there was "no match" for a center. I came to the same conclusion as your friend. They will be retired to another room.

Still haven't found a Mission dealer around SE Pa. The people establishing the new network of dealers seem awfully slow.