Favorite Punk Rock Love Songs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Punk Rock Love Songs?

nobody
06-18-2008, 04:38 AM
Yeah, why not? Sometimes you just gotta hold hands with that cute girl with the blue mohawk or the funny little bald chick and smile. Here's a couple I'll toss out there that always remind me of particular someones of days gone past.

The Ramones: I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend
Bad Manners: Skinhead Love Affair

Anyone else?

Rich-n-Texas
06-18-2008, 04:49 AM
Well, as much as I hate to cast Patti Smith in a "Punk Rock" light, I'd have to say nevertheless that "Because the Night", which she co-wrote with Springsteen, and "Frederick" are my favorites.

Interesting that an RR regular would start a thread about punk rock. Sacreligeous to many here I'm sure. :smilewinkgrin:

Ex Lion Tamer
06-18-2008, 05:50 AM
Interesting that an RR regular would start a thread about punk rock. Sacreligeous to many here I'm sure. :smilewinkgrin:

You should have been here back in the day, when punk rock discussion was the norm rather than the exception. Here's my list of pretty standard Brit-Punk fare...

The Clash - Janie Jones - not much of a love song I guess, but I think Joe does at some point mention that he loves Janie Jones, amidst his ranting about the rest of the crap in his life.

Stiff Little Fingers - Barbed Wire Love Another classic Punk-Rock love song - with a twist.

Sex Pistols - Submission Johnny Rotten's on a submarine mission for you baby...

The Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen In Love, you non-punkers are probably only familiar with The Fine Young Cannibals cover of this song which was a hit in the '80s; if so, you really should pick-up "Singles Going Steady" and hear what this song really sounds like.

Stone
06-18-2008, 10:36 AM
The Meatmen - What's This Sh<a></a>it Called Love?

Oh, and:

Descendents - Hope

Husker Du - The Girl Who Lives On Heaven Hill

Stone
06-18-2008, 10:46 AM

Maybe to some, but there are (were?) a fair amount of us who enjoy the punk rock to varying degrees.

bobsticks
06-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Man, I love nobody's all-too-infrequent stops in our hallowed halls.

NOFX-"Falling In Love", I'll go with "Submission", and despite the song sucking ya gotta love Zolof the Rock and Roll Destroyer's "Wonderful Awkward" just for the title.

Mebbe Social D.'s rip of 'Ring of Fire" works as a psuedo -punk entry.

MindGoneHaywire
06-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Ah, there's a few...

The Sonics--Cinderella
Richard Hell--The Plan
The Dickies--Rosemary
Anti-Nowhere League--Woman
White Stripes--Fell In Love With A Girl
Fear--Beef Bologna
The Replacements--Kiss Me On The Bus

a couple more by bands that have already been mentioned..

Buzzcocks--You Say You Don't Love Me
Ramones--Danny Says

and, of course...

The Damned--Love Song
Public Image--This Is Not A Love Song

and on another note...

Green Day--Longview
Buzzcocks--Orgasm Addict
Elvis Costello--Mystery Dance

or...

Minor Threat--Out Of Step
X--Johnny Hit & Run Paulene

can't leave out...

Richard Hell--Love Comes In Spurts

Lastly...these share something in common, for those that care...

Dead Milkmen--Punk Rock Girl
Sugar--The Slim (and If I Can't Change Your Mind, natch)