Serious Advice Needed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Serious Advice Needed

omikey
03-09-2004, 07:28 AM
I am considering a purchase of a floor model Pioneer PRO-800HD plasma tv at Tweeter's.

No telling how many hours this set has logged.

What do you think of buying a Floor Demo plasma tv ?

Should I be concerned about the number of hours that may already be spent on the gas in this display ?

Thanks
Mikey

wasch_24
03-09-2004, 07:50 AM
I'm no expert on plasma monitors but everything I have read about plasma's has said that they will last anywhere from 4-6 years with normal viewing. If it is last years model and has been on for say, 10 hours a day seven days a week for the past year, then that is about 2-3 years worth of normal viewing. If it is a reallity for you that you will probably be shopping for the next "latest and greatest" in 2-3 years anyway then go ahead and do it. I would suggest though that you use part of the savings you are getting to purchase the extended warranty. This will also be cheaper because Tweeter's warranty prices are based on dollar amount of the item.

omikey
03-09-2004, 08:10 AM
I'm no expert on plasma monitors but everything I have read about plasma's has said that they will last anywhere from 4-6 years with normal viewing. If it is last years model and has been on for say, 10 hours a day seven days a week for the past year, then that is about 2-3 years worth of normal viewing. If it is a reallity for you that you will probably be shopping for the next "latest and greatest" in 2-3 years anyway then go ahead and do it. I would suggest though that you use part of the savings you are getting to purchase the extended warranty. This will also be cheaper because Tweeter's warranty prices are based on dollar amount of the item.
Thanks Wasch. Yes the sales person told me that the 'performance package (at $999.99) was a reduced cost based on the reduced price of the TV. I was told that at full price the Tweeter's warranty would be $1200.00, so the savings more than pays for this package.

The TV is being sold for $5,450, and Pioneer has a $500 rebate good until the end of this month.

I'm not sure that I'll be shopping for a new set in 2-3 years, was sure thinking that I'd get more years out of it than that. For $5000 I'd like to have it around for awhile.

wasch_24
03-09-2004, 08:24 AM
The 4-6 years is an industry estimate, since nobody has had plasma in their home for that long yet it's easier for them to throw out some numbers rather than just saying "I don't know".

The time used in the show room is the clincher on monitors. If it were an open box return that would be a little different because then it most likely is open because it didn't fit or someone's spouse freaked out about the price.

I just bought a 65" Mitsubishi Diamond series RPTV that was open box from Tweeter. It was in the warehouse, returned from a customer. I saved about $1500, even with the five year extended plan.

Definitely don't shy away from the deal because it is used, just realize that the time used in the showrrom could potentially lead to less time for your enjoyment.

omikey
03-09-2004, 10:39 AM
The 4-6 years is an industry estimate, since nobody has had plasma in their home for that long yet it's easier for them to throw out some numbers rather than just saying "I don't know"..
Yes, I've read different views on longevity on these items. I guess I'll be one of the ones finding out how long plasma last. Also the estimates are not the END OF LIFE, it is a rating (same concept applies to RPTV) as to the brightness levels compared to when the set was NEW. The life expectancy is rated at 50% brightness as compared to new ... so if you go along with it is 6 years, then at that point the set is only half as bright as it was when new. My guess, at that point it is still a great picture .... not as good as something that will be around and on the market six years from now, but still very good in your living room :-))

The time used in the show room is the clincher on monitors. If it were an open box return that would be a little different because then it most likely is open because it didn't fit or someone's spouse freaked out about the price..
Agreed on this point

I just bought a 65" Mitsubishi Diamond series RPTV that was open box from Tweeter. It was in the warehouse, returned from a customer. I saved about $1500, even with the five year extended plan. .
sweet deal !!!!!!!

Definitely don't shy away from the deal because it is used, just realize that the time used in the showrrom could potentially lead to less time for your enjoyment.
Agree, and I'm sure that I'm taking it, I gave them a deposit today. I love that picture and the price is really hard to beat. When all said and done, including the Pioneer rebate, I get that set for $5000.00
Anyone buying a high end plasma could appreciate that price point for this set (or one of it's comparable compeitors)

Thanks for your input Wasch