Robert Downey Jr - The Futurist [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Robert Downey Jr - The Futurist

3-LockBox
06-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Anybody here ever listen to this one. I have sorta, over on YT. Competent enough, though purely adult contemporary. Nothing groundbreaking. I guess he penned a couple of these songs, but he tends to ape Bruce Springsteen a tad. He does do a decent version of Your Move that includes Jon Anderson doing backing vocals. Not too shabby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPkBQ6kN02M

Troy
06-18-2008, 08:06 AM
Bloody awful.

Finch Platte
06-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Bloody awful.

That's what they said about Shatner. :prrr:

bobsticks
06-18-2008, 08:47 AM

Lemme guess, you're watchin' gladiator films too.

3-LockBox
06-18-2008, 12:06 PM

Downey is just another actor doing the music thing (I heard for the first time yesterday and its been out four years), but Shatner raised being awful to an art form.

Hey Troy, don't you have a copy of The Transformed Man?

Finch Platte
06-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Lemme guess, you're watchin' gladiator films too.

Yup, the Gladiator Channel. Gladiator flicks, 24/7. :arf:

bobsticks
06-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Yup, the Gladiator Channel. Gladiator flicks, 24/7. :arf:

If the conversation turns to favorite male models you can just spell yours phonetically.

ForeverAutumn
06-18-2008, 02:31 PM
He does do a decent version of Your Move that includes Jon Anderson doing backing vocals. Not too shabby.

I have to respectfully disagree with that assessment. This is one of my all time favourite Yes songs and that was a painful listen IMO. Did Jon really do the back up for that, or did they just copy the real song and dub him in I wonder.

3-LockBox
06-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Did Jon really do the back up for that, or did they just copy the real song and dub him in I wonder.

According to AMG, Anderson does provide backing vocals.

It was decent in the context of other actors' singing. Like I said on another board, I won't be picking this one up anytime soon. Most all actors get to put an album out based on the strength of their celebrity, and not their singing talent. Downey is a damn site better than Bruce Willis!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L50tlMzdwR4&feature=related

ForeverAutumn
06-19-2008, 07:07 AM
I don't mind Downy as a singer, based on the very little that I've heard. Many actors actually make pretty good singers because of all the voice training that they get. I was shocked when I learned that Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor each did their own singing in Moulin Rouge, as an example. Kevin Spacey as Bobby Darin in Beyond the Sea is another good example of an actor who can sing. Although, I don't know how much the audio tracks are dubbed but they all sounded pretty good in the movies.

I remember hearing Downey do a song on Ally McBeal and it was really quite good. But this version of Your Move was just way too Las Vegas loungy for my taste.

3-LockBox
06-19-2008, 08:35 PM
I remember hearing Downey do a song on Ally McBeal and it was really quite good. But this version of Your Move was just way too Las Vegas loungy for my taste.

I'd rather he had taken on something proggier, like a loungy version of Supper's Ready.

ForeverAutumn
06-20-2008, 05:30 AM
I'd rather he had taken on something proggier, like a loungy version of Supper's Ready.

Now that could get interesting! :14: