A fun recording from Dream Theater's keyboardist [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A fun recording from Dream Theater's keyboardist

Finch Platte
06-17-2008, 04:31 PM
I picked up Jordan Rudess' The Road Home based solely on the sticker on the CD proclaiming that Steven Wilson, Neil Morse, Rod Morgenstein and Kip Winger (I know, I know :rolleyes5:) all had a hand in this recording released in 2007.

When I started to play it in the car on the way home, the minute Rod's drums started up I realized it was a song I knew. Checked the liner notes, and sure nuff, it's Dance On A Volcano, by Genesis. I get home and find that most of the rest of the songs are covers: Gentle Giant (Just The Same), Yes (Sound Chaser) and ELP (a 22 minute version of Tarkus). I was a little bummed at first, but the thing has grown on me immensely. They did a helluva job on the tunes (Rod on drums especially), and it sounds as though they had a good time making it.

I love hearing stuff like this- you get used to hearing a song a certain sonic way, then a modern version is released and the sound is so much better. Rudess adds his own flavors to the compositions, and Keith Emerson said, "Jordan sometimes utilizes my improvised solos of the original recording, something I find both remarkable and disturbing at the same time. “Stones Of Years” complete with Tarkus cannon shots in the solo brought a smile to my face, while I just had to admire his piano modulations on the same piece that are absolutely beautiful. Undoubtedly, throughout, Jordan’s keys shine along with his band and when he “mixes” it on Aquatarkus, it’s then that he makes it his own."

Participants:

Jordan Rudess - keyboards, continuum, vocals on "I Talk to the Wind"
Rod Morgenstein - drums
Neal Morse - vocals on track 1
Kip Winger - Vocals on track 2. Vocals on track 6 (Mass, and Battlefield)
Steven Wilson - vocals on track 6 (Stones of years)
Ed Wynne - First guitar solo on track 2, second guitar solo on track 3.
Bumblefoot - First guitar solo on track 3, guitar on track 6 (Aquatarkus)
Marco Sfogli - Guitar on Track 1.
Nick D'Virgilio - Vocals on track 2.
Ricky Garcia - Second guitar solo on track 2. Guitar on track 6 (Stones of years & Battlefield)
Bert Baldwin - Vocals on "I Talk to the Wind"

Tracklisting:

1) Dance on a Volcano - 8:44 (Genesis tribute)
2) Sound Chaser - 12:54 (Yes tribute)
3) Just the Same - 8:22 (Gentle Giant tribute)
4) Funky Cold Medina- 18:97 (Tone Loc tribute)
5) JR Piano Medley - 8:22 Soon (Jon Anderson) Supper's Ready (Genesis) I Talk to the Wind (King Crimson) And You and I (Yes)
6) Piece Of the π - 3:05
7) Tarkus - 22:47 (Emerson, Lake and Palmer tribute) Eruption (Emerson) Stones of Years (Emerson, Lake) Iconoclast (Emerson) Mass (Emerson, Lake) Manticore (Emerson)Battlefield (Lake) Aquatarkus (Emerson)

Read more about it on the Magna Carta site (http://www.magnacarta.net/releases/jrtrh.html).

Wanna hear it? Let me know. :thumbsup:

fp

http://jordanrudess.com/images/the_road_home_full.jpg

kexodusc
06-17-2008, 05:00 PM
I picked up Jordan Rudess' The Road Home based solely on the sticker on the CD proclaiming that Steven Wilson, Neil Morse, Rod Morgenstein and Kip Winger (I know, I know :rolleyes5:) all had a hand in this recording released in 2007.

When I started to play it in the car on the way home, the minute Rod's drums started up I realized it was a song I knew. Checked the liner notes, and sure nuff, it's Dance On A Volcano, by Genesis. I get home and find that most of the rest of the songs are covers: Gentle Giant (Just The Same), Yes (Sound Chaser) and ELP (a 22 minute version of Tarkus). I was a little bummed at first, but the thing has grown on me immensely. They did a helluva job on the tunes (Rod on drums especially), and it sounds as though they had a good time making it.

I love hearing stuff like this- you get used to hearing a song a certain sonic way, then a modern version is released and the sound is so much better. Rudess adds his own flavors to the compositions, and Keith Emerson said, "Jordan sometimes utilizes my improvised solos of the original recording, something I find both remarkable and disturbing at the same time. “Stones Of Years” complete with Tarkus cannon shots in the solo brought a smile to my face, while I just had to admire his piano modulations on the same piece that are absolutely beautiful. Undoubtedly, throughout, Jordan’s keys shine along with his band and when he “mixes” it on Aquatarkus, it’s then that he makes it his own."

Participants:

Jordan Rudess - keyboards, continuum, vocals on "I Talk to the Wind"
Rod Morgenstein - drums
Neal Morse - vocals on track 1
Kip Winger - Vocals on track 2. Vocals on track 6 (Mass, and Battlefield)
Steven Wilson - vocals on track 6 (Stones of years)
Ed Wynne - First guitar solo on track 2, second guitar solo on track 3.
Bumblefoot - First guitar solo on track 3, guitar on track 6 (Aquatarkus)
Marco Sfogli - Guitar on Track 1.
Nick D'Virgilio - Vocals on track 2.
Ricky Garcia - Second guitar solo on track 2. Guitar on track 6 (Stones of years & Battlefield)
Bert Baldwin - Vocals on "I Talk to the Wind"

Tracklisting:

1) Dance on a Volcano - 8:44 (Genesis tribute)
2) Sound Chaser - 12:54 (Yes tribute)
3) Just the Same - 8:22 (Gentle Giant tribute)
4) JR Piano Medley - 8:22 Soon (Jon Anderson) Supper's Ready (Genesis) I Talk to the Wind (King Crimson) And You and I (Yes)
5) Piece Of the π - 3:05
6) Tarkus - 22:47 (Emerson, Lake and Palmer tribute) Eruption (Emerson) Stones of Years (Emerson, Lake) Iconoclast (Emerson) Mass (Emerson, Lake) Manticore (Emerson)Battlefield (Lake) Aquatarkus (Emerson)

Read more about it on the Magna Carta site (http://www.magnacarta.net/releases/jrtrh.html).

Wanna hear it? Let me know. :thumbsup:

fp

Cool, what a coincidence. I just ordered this on a whim suggestion from my local CD shop buddy. Glad to hear someone likes it!
I don't think I've ever seen a musician who seemed to be enjoying himself as much on stage as Jordan Rudess. He has a real positive energy up there.

ForeverAutumn
06-17-2008, 05:04 PM
I picked this up when it was released and thought it was a good spin. I haven't played it much since then though. I like covers when they're done well...and these are done well...but I'd rather hear original music.

3-LockBox
06-17-2008, 09:19 PM
This is something that could be a fun listen. I'll keep an eye on it for a good deal, prolly used, but like FA, I have a hard time getting too stoked about a covers album, especially one with a 22 minute version of Tarkus on it, although, I have liked other bands' takes on ELP, since other bands use bass players on their covers (ELP's music sounds so anemic cuz of the lack'o bass).

3-LockBox
06-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Oddly enough, I just tuned to Deliscious Agony on the net and they're playing Tarkus from this album as I type!

I'd rather hear this version than the original, not that this is some kind of ringing endorsement or anything.

Troy
06-18-2008, 08:14 AM
I'll be combing the dollar bins for this one . . .

BarryL
06-18-2008, 07:16 PM
This album isn't so new anymore. Jordan rocks on this one with great versions of Sound Chaser, Just The Same and especially Tarkus. It's worth it for Tarkus alone. They do a great job with the Genesis toon, even with Morse doing the vocals.

While Rudess can really get those fingers moving, maybe he can learn from the songs he chose how to compose better. He's a great player, but he doesn't have it in him to be a great composer, which is unfortunate.

Finch Platte
06-19-2008, 08:56 AM
This album isn't so new anymore.

I realize that, but it's new to me.

While Rudess can really get those fingers moving, maybe he can learn from the songs he chose how to compose better. He's a great player, but he doesn't have it in him to be a great composer, which is unfortunate.

As for being a bad composer, he is a member of Dream theater. :^D I had a friend like that- on guitar, he could play Al DiMeola records lick for lick- as far as writing a song, I don't think he ever did it. I'm just the opposite- I can't memorize for sh!t, but I can improvise like a mutha. :thumbsup:

And as you say, " It's worth it for Tarkus alone."

fp