Newbie - NAD L54 with Monitor Audio speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - NAD L54 with Monitor Audio speakers

Asterix77
06-17-2008, 01:08 AM
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, so let me introduce myself first.
I'm from The Netherlands, 30 years old and bought myself a new set recently (4 months ago)

I bougth the NAD L54 dvd/cd/tuner/ receiver set together with a set Monitor Audio BR5 speakers (small floorstanding speakers).
And I have to say, after the speakers being warmed up, they sound incredible. Very transparent sound. Deep warm bass, crisp high tones, really wonderful.
And they have a very good price for that quality.

I wonder, is there anyone on this forum who also has experience with these speakers and/or the NAD L54? What is your experience?

2chAlex
06-17-2008, 01:19 AM
Just wanted to say welcome to the forum.

Asterix77
06-18-2008, 12:55 AM
Thanks, I will visit this forum more often.

PDN
06-18-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't have any direct experience with these exact components bit I'd say you've made an excellent purchase. I've had and still have NAD components for many years. They're no longer my main system (I went over to Rotel and Marantz) but my little 20+ year old receiver still works great. The BR5's look like a great budget 2-1/2 way floorstander. They can get down to 36 hz which is great bass extension. A sensitivity of 90 dB makes them relatively efficient. Your L45 puts out 50 watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms which is enough to power your Monitor's. They need between 30 watts and 120 watts for driving. You can't go wrong with NAD components. I heard that at one time a few years back they were going through some hard times with QA issues and lots of returns but hopefully they're past that now. That can happen to any company when they go through ownership and management changes.

But you've done well. Are you looking to continue expanding into a surround sound HT system or stick with 2 channel music only? Either way, you're golden for now.

Asterix77
06-19-2008, 01:33 AM
Thanks for your comments.
I bought the NAD L54 with the knowledge it isn't a full HT system.
Philosofy of NAD still is "music first", there is a feature though on the NAD which is called ThruSurround. It creates the sensation of a full 5.1 system with only 2 channels.For the real HT addict it probably wouldn't be sufficient but it's fine for me.
Most important to me is that my music sounds great.

PDN
06-20-2008, 05:21 PM
As long as you feel that your two channel system fills up your listening room and you don't have voids in the sound, you're golden. Before I went to surround sound music listening, I had 4 speakers in my listening room with two channel music. Some rooms depending on size and configuration just don't sound that fulfilling with two speakers. You can almost hear the emptiness in those other two corners. By adding a pair of small satellite type speakers, those holes are filled and your two channel system can sound so much better. That was my precursor to now full surround sound music listening. My Rotel A-V receiver (also music first design) has so many different music formats to choose from. Makes listening a lot of fun by switching to the different modes. It even has a 5 channel mode but in stereo and it's very alive and dynamic. I really like the "Music 2" selection in surround sound for music. 90% of my use is for listening to music. Can't go wrong this way. Know what I mean?

Asterix77
06-21-2008, 06:51 AM
My livingroom is not that big and my speakers fill up the room quite nicely.
Maybe in the future I might add a subwoofer, but for the moment I'm happy. I think it's wise to keep it like this at this moment and when I discover in the future I miss something in my setup I can change or add extra components then.
I leave purchasing stuff just for the purpose of purchasing to my girl friend...she's very good at it:wink5: