Men at Work: Brilliant to Obscurity. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Men at Work: Brilliant to Obscurity.

Smokey
06-16-2008, 02:58 PM
I think there are few example of bands like Men at Work in music history where they produce couple of outstanding albums and then disappear altogether. It is a sad history.

So for recognition of their work, I thought it might be appropriate to do a list of their favorite songs. Given that their only first two albums (Business As Usual, Cargo) had major hits, it will be an easy list.

Here are list of their best singles:

Downunder
Its a Mistake.
Be Good Johnny
Dr. Heckyll and Mr Jive
Who Can It Be Now
Overkill
High Wire
Down By the Sea

Of the above list, my most favorites are Be Good Johnny, Overkill and Its a Mistake.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517oMsrGpKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

noddin0ff
06-16-2008, 05:43 PM
I was just wishing I had a Men at Work album yesterday. Overkill.

Smokey
06-16-2008, 07:23 PM

You know what would be great. If they release video of their singles on DVD along with their greatest CD albums. Those early 80's MTV videos are so much fun to watch. Not too much budget, buy they made up for it with style.

Van Occupanther
06-16-2008, 09:13 PM
I remember these guys from television when I was young. I liked their songs, but when they made appearences on TV shows, they did this forced, Hard Days Night routine that in hindsight, looked a tad obvious.

I think the lead singer did a few solos after that did OK.

Heywood Djahblomie
06-16-2008, 10:39 PM
eMpTyV made 'em more than what they were

and what they were was a poor man's Kinks

what did these guys in was a third crappy album

what next, the squeeze? mr mister?

thekid
06-17-2008, 01:49 AM
Well I liked Men At Work I would not use the term brilliant to describe their limited body of work.

Three albums is pretty much the standard limit for a band who has 2 hits off their first album. The first sells based on the "top forty" appeal, the second sells mostly on the reputation of the first and if the third one does not match the sales of the first or second the record company flushes them. Ten years later after playing the state fair circuit they end up on VH-1 in some sort of nostalgic retrospective that makes it appear they were music geniuses. Music's version of the 24-hour news cycle I guess.

Rich-n-Texas
06-17-2008, 04:39 AM
Didn't they make vegemite sandwiches popular? :confused:

3-LockBox
06-17-2008, 05:16 AM
what next, the squeeze? mr mister?

Well, that would be on topic.

Let me guess - you're also a member of the music illuminati?

prick

Stone
06-17-2008, 05:33 AM
Well I liked Men At Work I would not use the term brilliant to describe their limited body of work.

Agreed, although I do still have Business As Usual on vinyl. And if you really want more, Colin Hay has put out a number of solo albums.

ForeverAutumn
06-17-2008, 05:35 AM

That's funny. A couple of days ago I was wishing that I had a Squeeze album.

Both were fun bands.

Rich-n-Texas
06-17-2008, 06:41 AM
Well, that would be on topic.

Let me guess - you're also a member of the music illuminati?

prick
:lol: Did you know he's got a hard-on for Swish?

Whoops! Sorry. Off Topic. My bad.

GMichael
06-17-2008, 07:17 AM
They were a fun band back in the day. It was a different sound than I was used to. I think that's why they became so popular so fast. But then it wasn't new anymore. They vanished almost as fast as they sprang into the limelight.

Swish
06-17-2008, 12:01 PM

Three albums is pretty much the standard limit for a band who has 2 hits off their first album. The first sells based on the "top forty" appeal, the second sells mostly on the reputation of the first and if the third one does not match the sales of the first or second the record company flushes them. Ten years later after playing the state fair circuit they end up on VH-1 in some sort of nostalgic retrospective that makes it appear they were music geniuses. Music's version of the 24-hour news cycle I guess.

I took this to be a tongue-in-cheek post about a band that was little more than a one hit wonder type of band. Yes, a few of their catchy tunes weren't bad, but that Dr. Hekyll and Mr. Jive was about the most contrived piece 'o crap song I've ever heard. Talk about filler.

And 'the Men From Down Under' wasn't quite true either. Colin Hay is Scottish, although he moved to Australia with his family when he was a teenager.

Swish

Swish
06-17-2008, 12:02 PM
:lol: Did you know he's got a hard-on for Swish?

Whoops! Sorry. Off Topic. My bad.

...since I've met him and all. He's just having fun with me and vice-versa.

Swish

GMichael
06-17-2008, 12:15 PM
...since I've met him and all. He's just having fun with me and vice-versa.

Swish

But I'm still number one right?

Smokey
06-17-2008, 02:04 PM

If not Brilliant, then how about Grammy Winner. :D They did won an Grammy award for best new artist in 1983.

I usually rate a song by its reparability factor, and IMO their song have held up pretty good over all these years. Have their MP3 songs on computer, and play at least one of their song on daily bases. It never get boring :)

Jim Clark
06-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Get in another post before baseball practice...

I enjoyed Men At Work. Saw them live, and that's where the trouble started. Colin James Hay did all of the background vocals on the records. Live, the band tried to cover and they failed miserably. There were also massive pitch problems for everyone involved. Hard to believe that it was just an off night.

I concur with Stone though, Colin has some solo releases. I especially like the first, Looking for Jack. I think it's brilliant and listen to it fairly regularly. I happen to have it on vinyl but a kind member of the board burned me a CD copy so I'm not the only one with it on the shelf.

jc

thekid
06-17-2008, 03:22 PM
If not Brilliant, then how about Grammy Winner. :D They did won an Grammy award for best new artist in 1983.

I usually rate a song by its reparability factor, and IMO their song have held up pretty good over all these years. Have their MP3 songs on computer, and play at least one of their song on daily bases. It never get boring :)

First let me say that I did miss the wink on the original post but hey it was 5:30 am.
I will assume you are also being a little tongue in cheek when you mention Best New Artist of 1983. I would only point out a few other "Best New Artist Winners"

Milli Vanilli-1990
Culture Club-1984
Sheena Easton-1982
Christopher Cross-1981
Debbie Boone-1978
Starland Vocal Band-1977 (I own that album..as well)

We can agree brilliant artists all........ :wink5:

Smokey
06-17-2008, 07:12 PM
I concur with Stone though, Colin has some solo releases. I especially like the first, Looking for Jack. I think it's brilliant and listen to it fairly regularly.

Have never to listen to any of his solo stuff. See if I can get couple of sample MP3s from his solo albums from the net.

I will assume you are also being a little tongue in cheek when you mention Best New Artist of 1983. I would only point out a few other "Best New Artist Winners"

Milli Vanilli-1990
Culture Club-1984
Sheena Easton-1982
Christopher Cross-1981
Debbie Boone-1978
Starland Vocal Band-1977 (I own that album..as well)

We can agree brilliant artists all..:wink5:

My grammy award winner argument did not held up too well, did it :frown2:

emesbee
06-18-2008, 05:26 AM
I always thought Men At Work were a bit of a one hit wonder. Living in a Land Downunder myself, I can appreciate their popularity with that song, but they never really followed it up. By the way, has anyone noticed that the flute was playing a few bars of "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree" in that song?

Groundbeef
06-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Frankly, I wish more bands would simply release 1 or 2 albums and sort of fade away. Aerosmith, Axel Rose, Rolling Stones... come to mind. Brilliant in the day, but now they are just wrikled old men pining to be young again.

But I digress.

emesbee
06-18-2008, 07:08 AM
All wrinkled old men pine to be young again!

dingus
06-18-2008, 07:34 AM
i liked the 'Men', but they were far from the best that AU had to offer (btw like M@W, that Christopher Cross album was pretty good and probably shouldnt be lumped in the others listed).

Groundbeef
06-18-2008, 07:47 AM
All wrinkled old men pine to be young again!

True enough. But most have enough sense to not charge several $$$ for seats to see them sing 30+ year old songs, and pretend to be spry enough to act as though they once did.

I must admit though, that if they change their act up, or introduce new music, that does change the equation.

I rather enjoyed Pink Floyd in 1994. But then again, that type of music doens't require some aged old fool to hop around and pretend he's 25 again. Sort of like Blues. Old guys play great blues, not punk rock.

Rich-n-Texas
06-18-2008, 07:59 AM
True enough. But most have enough sense to not charge several $$$ for seats to see them sing 30+ year old songs, and pretend to be spry enough to act as though they once did.
Amen brother!

I must admit though, that if they change their act up, or introduce new music, that does change the equation.
One word: RUSH!

I rather enjoyed Pink Floyd in 1994. But then again, that type of music doens't require some aged old fool to hop around and pretend he's 25 again. Sort of like Blues. Old guys play great blues, not punk rock.
I watch their Pulse concert DVD quite often, and David Gilmore's latest live concert DVD, "Remember That Night" is at the top of my list now. To me, he's ageless.

thekid
06-18-2008, 04:05 PM
i liked the 'Men', but they were far from the best that AU had to offer (btw like M@W, that Christopher Cross album was pretty good and probably shouldnt be lumped in the others listed).

I will admit to a certain fondness for the first Christopher Cross album as well. I come across it fairly regularly in the LP bins and always hesitate before flipping on.

I was given the Starland Vocal Band album for an X-mas present one year and it grew on me even though I really do not care for "Afternoon Delight". I think both albums are in that songs/groups you don't want to admit to liking category.

You never hear anybody saying they bought or own these types of albums but the volume that were sold says that ain't the case..........:rolleyes5: