Need advice for new headphones [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for new headphones

bonanza
03-09-2004, 05:03 AM
Im sick and tired of listening to my music with crappy headphones.
Im looking for headphones that sound great and dont break after few months usage. Price: about 100-200$.

These headphones are for my iPod 20GB. Most of my time Im listening to alternative rock and trip- hop. Radiohead, massive-Attack, Portishead, eels. Sometimes funk, blues and jazz.

Btw what do you think about Bose Triport headphones?

I hope you can help and thanks in advance.

Cheers
Markus

turbodog
03-09-2004, 07:51 AM
Do you listen while on the move? Sitting still? Mostly at home, or is ease of transport critical?

For stationary listening, I can recommend the Sennheiser HD280. Fantastic sound, can be driven by portables. Supra-aural design, so they're not particularly small or light, but still very comfortable for extended wearing. Lots of isolation from ambient noise. Can be had for about $80 with shipping. Fantastic performance for the cost.

bonanza
03-09-2004, 08:33 AM
I dont do sports while listening to music. Its mostly on train bus and while im walking in the city. I allready have some headphones for listening at home (sennheiser HD 575).

pelly3s
03-09-2004, 04:24 PM
two great pairs of headphones are the Sony MDR-7506's and the 7509's. The 7509's are a little pricey but worth every penny. Plus both of them are very comfortable to wear. You can also look into the AKG K-240 Studios, or a pair of cheaper Grado's

This Guy
03-09-2004, 05:08 PM
I'd get the Grado SR-80's or higher. I've got the SR-60's and they sound great. They're very portable in that the ear pieces swivel 360 degress so you won't have to worry about breaking them. They're an open air design, in that the back of the headphones aren't closed off like regular headphones (you can see the headphone driver), and this lets you hear what's happening around you, which comes in handy (obviously when you have them loud enough, and trust me they get loud, you can't hear anything else.) One side note, because it is open on both sides, just as much sound (well almost) that goes to your ears, also go out and into the open, so even if you're listening in only moderate volumes, someone right next to you can hear them clear as day. They don't seem to be a problem when I bring mine into school for in study hall, but if you crank them, someone across the room can hear them clearly. haha alright I'm done praising the Grado cans, you should give them a look.

-Joey

Haoleb
03-09-2004, 07:46 PM
the grado's are nice, i should know i own some. but seriously they would not be good for what you want to use them for. they leak sound, and let sound in. you need something small and sealed.

Check out the Etymolic research earbuds.

See em at www.headphone.com

03-09-2004, 11:46 PM
if you want portable, then earbuds are the way to go
I have an iPod myself, and i find headphones too chunky.
If you wanna checkout recommended earbuds in the market today, go to this site, its probably the most informative iPod site in the world.

www.ipodlounge.com

good luck

bonanza
03-10-2004, 09:02 AM
I checked all those headphones and earbuds out and I really like those Etymotic earbuds
(never heard odf them but I also never heard of NAD until I visit this website)I found the Etymotic ER-6 most interesting in both price and performance.(Ive read some articles about it on www.headphones.com, thanks to haoleb).

The Etymotic ER-4P is a little too pricy for me. I mean I really like it when I hear perfect sound but I dont think Im Audiophile enough for those nice fellows :)

Haoleb
03-10-2004, 05:49 PM
The ER-6 would probbly sound as good as anything you would need for portable listening, you dont want your portable to sound better then your home system do you? lol.

Another place you should check out is www.head-fi.org its a discussion forum like this but just for headphones. They will be able to awnser any of the questions you might have.

ipodstudio
03-13-2004, 01:23 AM
Check out the ipod studio (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ipodstudio/)
There's a ton of info on this there. Don't miss the "photos" section; there are over 500 images of headphones, amps etc...there.