Yes, New (Temp) Admin [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yes, New (Temp) Admin

Rich-n-Texas
06-16-2008, 06:56 AM
I've had a couple of conversations now with atomicAdam, who is here temporarily to update the site. He wants suggestions on how best to improve the experience here and according to what he tells me, a new permanent admin is being sought. I'm going to post the two e-mail conversations I've had with him and I included JM & E-stat with my second reply:

Can you tell me atomicAdam if you are an active administrator here? IF you've read my or a lot of other people's posts in the Site Feedback forum, you'd notice there has been quite a bit of frustration exhibited because of the lack of leadership. Your thoughts?

Hey Rich,

The answer to the question is yes and no. I am working on updating the site but I am not the new admin admin. Though, if you have ideas, request, even just links to things you've already said I would like to read them. In fact you can spread the word too for others to comment.

Thanks,
-adam

Thanks for the quick response Adam. The biggest issue we have here is with spammers. JohnMichael and E-stat spend most of their time tracking down spammers and deleting their posts and memberships. In many discussion forums I've posted in, you have to make your e-mail address visible to admins during registration. If you don't do that, a pop-up window appears and if you answer no to the question, you can go no further. This I think would go a long way towards cutting down the crap from spammers we have to deal with on a daily basis.

I'm glad you say you're here to update the site because there are days when posts by members take very long to appear, and I've read where some people don't have the "Quick Reply" box at times.

Here are some links to threads that contain some of the complaints we've had over time:

This one was about e-mail (PM messages I believe)

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=26274

This one was about PM's from spammers and the only way to stop them was by sending them to a mod, but my contention is that the site's software should be able to catch this.
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=26542

Here's a thread about suggestions for reoganizing the forum topic breakdown:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=24905

And there are people who've tried to add products to the AR database with no luck. Post #4 includes an error message:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...179#post221179 (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=221179#post221179)

The biggest question I've had during my time here is why there was no admin assigned to replace ericl?

I've included our two active mods in this message, and in my opinion, some of the others who show up as mods should be decommisioned as they no longer post here. (Geoffcin and ericl come to mind).

My hope is that we'll see a more modernized forum Adam, because as you can see we've become a tight knit community, and a lot of our posts show up on the Google Search website.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help us out. :thumbsup: -Rich

Hey Rich,

Thanks for the PM.

I will go over the forum issues w/ our engineer and see what can best be done. I agree - spammers are lame - and they are a problem on all forums that consumerreview.com runs. MTBR, RBR, Photo...etc..

I know a replacement for Eric is being sought, but no match yet.

Give me some time to take on these issues. I will be spending a lot of effort getting audioreview.com back into better shape but my time is also split among other things.

Thanks for the feed back and PM or email me anytime.
adam@consumerreview.com

-adam

So feel free to make your questions and concerns known here or via e-mail to Adam, and maybe we can finally have a site that works well for everybody.
<!-- / message --><!-- / message --><!-- / message -->

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Well. you have been busy Richie Rich!

GMichael
06-16-2008, 07:33 AM
You have got way too much free time on your hands buddy. Repeat after me.

"Too much time on my hands" (clap clap)
"Too much time on my hands" (whisper)
"Too much time on my hands"
(Bzzzzzzzzz...)

Feanor
06-16-2008, 08:02 AM
I've had a couple of conversations now with atomicAdam, who is here temporarily to update the site. He wants suggestions on how best to improve the experience here and according to what he tells me, a new permanent admin is being sought. I'm going to post the two e-mail conversations I've had with him and I included JM & E-stat with my second reply:
So feel free to make your questions and concerns known here or via e-mail to Adam, and maybe we can finally have a site that works well for everybody.
<!-- / message --><!-- / message --><!-- / message -->

Rich, thanks for your initiative. I certainly do feel that the spam problem is more obvious here at AR than most forums, whether the problem is technical or a matter of site policy.

Rich-n-Texas
06-16-2008, 09:15 AM
I made sticks aware of this last night and he told me he'd probably send him a note as well.

As long as Adam is being up front with us, I'd say now's the time to SPEAK UP!

basite
06-16-2008, 09:44 AM
wouldn't it be easier if Adam could just post in this thread too? :D

seriously: improvements for AR...
besides the spammers, and everything else concerning the topics on this thread, I think what we most need is more traffic. More people here, so maybe advertising AR could be a good idea...

and definately: an introductions forum, they've got one recently on AK, and from of the start, this has been a big succes. I think alot of people hesitate because they can't find a place where they can properly introduce themselves...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Rich-n-Texas
06-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Well. you have been busy Richie Rich!
Well shiver me timbers, Mr. Dome posted in one of my threads. I'll be a monkey's uncle! :p

Rich-n-Texas
06-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Probably not Bert since like he said he's splitting his time with other efforts. I'm going to send him a link to this thread.

basite
06-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Probably not Bert since like he said he's splitting his time with other efforts. I'm going to send him a link to this thread.

OK :)
thanks for the effort btw rich :)

keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
06-16-2008, 10:00 AM

seriously: improvements for AR...
besides the spammers, and everything else concerning the topics on this thread, I think what we most need is more traffic. More people here, so maybe advertising AR could be a good idea...

and definately: an introductions forum, they've got one recently on AK, and from of the start, this has been a big succes. I think alot of people hesitate because they can't find a place where they can properly introduce themselves...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

I'm thinking of a template. Once someone starts a new account, they get asked a few basic questions (or info could be pulled from their profile). Then a post/thread is automatically started in the introductions forum. It could be something like this. Hi, my name is (insert nickname or UID), I joined this site because (answer to why did you join our site) etc. Then give the new member the option to add more, edit or even delete before posting. Of coarse, the new member would get an explination of why they are being asked to start a thread.

Rich-n-Texas
06-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Let's see...

Home Theater forum has 99 pages dating back to 2003.
General Audio forum has 65 pages dating back to 2003.
News and Rumors forum has 12 pages dating back to 2004
Speakers forum has 87 pages dating back to 2003
... etc etc etc.

Anything more than say 2 years old should either be archived (compressed) or deleted. That would surely help speed up page load times. I think RL's biggest gripe about this site was the sometimes agonizingly long load times.

Rich-n-Texas
06-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Looks like I'm alone on an island here. Mods, why are you not participating in this thread?

I agree that an introductions forum would be helpful, but I think to create templates and such would require a lot of coding. Again, if new members were forced to allow mods and admins to see their e-mail address, it would help cut down on spam. The check box already exists on the registration page.

I also think it's time for either more mods or new ones. The Leaders page could use some restructuring IMO.

audio_dude
06-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Of coarse,

GRAMMAR GESTAPO!
It should read "Of course"

(but we all know you that's what you meant....)

Ether way, good to see someone is finally taking action to tackle the nagging problems of the site.

Seems I migrated away for a while there, I'm back, don't know for how long, but here nonetheless.

(Seems I became content with my stereo and stopped needing upgrading advice :P)

Rich-n-Texas
06-18-2008, 04:26 AM
GRAMMAR GESTAPO!
He he snicker snicker. :)

Seems I migrated away for a while there, I'm back, don't know for how long, but here nonetheless.
Yes you did. Nevertheless, it's good to see a familiar face 'round these parts again. :thumbsup:

The same thing happened to me after I bought my first Home Theater receiver. After a while though I became tired of its limitations so the upgrade bug started up again. Been here since, and with some great advice and alert eyes for bargains from some good people here, I've realized a goal that eluded me for many many years. And MAN, does it crank out the dB's!!! :ihih:

(Gee, I hope I didn't sound like a politician with that suck-up speech. :nonod: )

GMichael
06-18-2008, 05:12 AM
GRAMMAR GESTAPO!

Ether way, good to see someone is finally taking action to tackle the nagging problems of the site.

I meant for it to be a rough explanation.:blush2: Oh, nevermind.:ciappa:

basite
06-18-2008, 05:19 AM

yeah, long time no see dude :)

welcome back :D

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JSE
06-18-2008, 05:45 AM
Ether way,

:shocked: :out: :ciappa:

audio_dude
06-18-2008, 06:06 AM
The same thing happened to me after I bought my first Home Theater receiver. After a while though I became tired of its limitations so the upgrade bug started up again. Been here since, and with some great advice and alert eyes for bargains from some good people here, I've realized a goal that eluded me for many many years. And MAN, does it crank out the dB's!!! :ihih:

Well, mine was too things:
1. My stereo had the sound and quality I was looking for.
2. I was flat broke...

Rich-n-Texas
06-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Well, mine was too things:
1. My stereo had the sound and quality I was looking for.
2. I was flat broke...
I can see where that might be a contributing factor.:idea:

On topic: I've been sub'ed to forums where there is much sponsor participation, meaning... the sponsors have a sub-forum where they post special purchase deals for forum members. I think the AVS and Audioholics forums have a similar model, so why can't the same type of thing exist here? Since they sponsor this site, IMO it would give them more visibility and at the same time make the members here feel more comfortable when they're wanting to purchase A/V equipment. Besides that, I think these ads in the right hand column and across the top do nothing more than annoy most of us.

Ajani
06-18-2008, 07:47 AM
I also think it's time for either more mods or new ones.

My vote for new mods:

Pix for News and Rumours

&

Spanky for Computer Audio

:ciappa:

audio_dude
06-18-2008, 02:07 PM
My vote for new mods:

Pix for News and Rumours

&

Spanky for Computer Audio

:ciappa:

Audio_dude for portable audio...

Ajani
06-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Audio_dude for portable audio...

Audio_who?

:prrr:

Rich-n-Texas
06-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Seriously though

audio_dude
06-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Seriously though
Did I sound like I was kidding?

The portable audio section is one of the most spammed sections in this whole damn place.
Needs some dedicated policing. *pulls out mirrored aviators*

Rich-n-Texas
06-19-2008, 04:25 AM
Did I sound like I was kidding?
I'm glad you're not _dude! atomicAdam's e-mail addy is in my first post, so send him an e-mail. I was responding to Ajani's post.

The portable audio section is one of the most spammed sections in this whole damn place.
Needs some dedicated policing. *pulls out mirrored aviators*
Never noticed since I don't spend much time there.

I have to say something about the moderation of this site... again. Every discussion forum that I've visited always had a slew of moderators. There are only TWO active mods here which just seems rediculous to me.

Ajani
06-19-2008, 07:24 AM
I have to say something about the moderation of this site... again. Every discussion forum that I've visited always had a slew of moderators. There are only TWO active mods here which just seems rediculous to me.

Seriously, I agree. We need more mods. Since, we have several very active and respected members on this site, why not just add some of them as mods???

GMichael
06-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Seriously, I agree. We need more mods. Since, we have several very active and respected members on this site, why not just add some of them as mods???

Yeah Rich. When are you going to step up?
(Or was that what this was all about to begin with?)
Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........
Very well played sir.

bobsticks
06-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Yeah Rich. When are you going to step up?
(Or was that what this was all about to begin with?)
Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........
Very well played sir.

Hhhmmmnn...interesting...does anyone think it coincidence that Rich makes a political powerplay on the same day that P-Sky/SuperPan returns?? Powerbrokers abound.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=245554#post245554

Rich-n-Texas
06-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Don't be silly. Everywhere except here, a moderator who is assigned to a specific topic forum is supposed to have knowledge of that topic, and I don't profess to have any knowledge of any topic forum. :rolleyes: If this site shapes up to resemble just about every other discussion forum out there then that would make me an even less quailfied candidate for a mod postion.

GMichael
06-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Hhhmmmnn...interesting...does anyone think it coincidence that Rich makes a political powerplay on the same day that P-Sky/SuperPan returns?? Powerbrokers abound.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=245554#post245554

There are no coincidences in life.

Groundbeef
06-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Don't be silly. Everywhere except here, a moderator who is assigned to a specific topic forum is supposed to have knowledge of that topic, and I don't profess to have any knowledge of any topic forum. :rolleyes: If this site shapes up to resemble just about every other discussion forum out there then that would make me an even less quailfied candidate for a mod postion.

Now if we just had a thread about Rich guys in Texas, who light their BBQ's w/100$ then we might have a thread for you to moderate.

kexodusc
06-19-2008, 04:07 PM
I would offer to be a mod, but by nature I am very immoderate.

Glad to see there's a command structure still in place at least. Good luck to Mr. Adam and co.

Ajani
06-20-2008, 08:10 AM
As requested by the 'Deputy' Mod (Rich), I've placed this suggestion in this thread:

Why don't Rep points indicate the sender by default? Sending unsigned rep points seems both absurd and cowardly... If possible, I think the site admin should adjust the rep points system so that it automatically displays the name of the sender...

since I can't make anonymous posts on the forum (well, I don't think I can) then why should I be able to send anonymous rep points?

Rich-n-Texas
06-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Good idea, but I hope people aren't taking the rep system too seriously. I don't. I think of it as a fun game like "tag" or "kill the man with the football" from when I was a young lad. :yesnod:

I'm "Deputy Dog" not Mod! :nonod:

kexodusc
06-20-2008, 09:59 AM
As requested by the 'Deputy' Mod (Rich), I've placed this suggestion in this thread:

Why don't Rep points indicate the sender by default? Sending unsigned rep points seems both absurd and cowardly... If possible, I think the site admin should adjust the rep points system so that it automatically displays the name of the sender...

since I can't make anonymous posts on the forum (well, I don't think I can) then why should I be able to send anonymous rep points?
I like this idea...serious or otherwise, it puts some accountabilty and merit in the rep system -
It's not public for all to see, but you should know who's giving you greenies or red chiclets.

JSE
06-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Good idea, but I hope people aren't taking the rep system too seriously. I don't. I think of it as a fun game like "tag" or "kill the man with the football" from when I was a young lad. :yesnod:

I'm "Deputy Dog" not Mod! :nonod:

Exactly! That's something that seems to have gone over the head of Lex/PS. He thinks we are/were upset because we got red chicklets. At least for me and most likely most others, we are upset because he was too cowardly to sign his name to them. We were upset by his "bad form". He went out of his way to create screen names just to tag people. I could care less if someone give me a red chicklet. Just sign it. I sign mine whether they are green or red.

It all in good fun for most of us. Rich says he wants/begs for red chicklets so we give him as many greens as we can. Granted if he were to asked for greens, he would not get reds. That's freaking fun!

Rich-n-Texas
06-20-2008, 10:26 AM
And when Cartman asks for Shiner, I send him Rolling Rock! That's freakin' hilarious! :ciappa:

Rich-n-Texas
06-20-2008, 10:31 AM
I like this idea...serious or otherwise, it puts some accountabilty and merit in the rep system -
It's not public for all to see, but you should know who's giving you greenies or red chiclets.
For that matter, why aren't I able to see ALL of my rep points, instead of the five latest?

JSE
06-20-2008, 10:55 AM
And when Cartman asks for Shiner, I send him Rolling Rock! That's freakin' hilarious! :ciappa:

:mad2:

Rich-n-Texas
06-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Can you believe I was weened on Rolling Rock? I was almost of legal drinking age, but when I turned 18 and had a choice, I gradiated to Budweiser! :thumbsup:

JSE
06-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Can you believe I was weened on Rolling Rock? I was almost of legal drinking age, but when I turned 18 and had a choice, I gradiated to Budweiser! :thumbsup:

Buttwiper, Rolling Crap................ it's all pisswater.

I just sent a case of "The Beast" your way! And like Whooch hinted to in another thread, I'm eating Mexican again tonight. You better hope for a "Norther" by the end of the day or you ain't gettin much sleep tonight. Those south winds can be a be-atch.

Rich-n-Texas
06-20-2008, 11:52 AM
You stink. Literally. :eek:

Groundbeef
06-20-2008, 12:27 PM
It's nice to see that even a serious attempt at a serious topic (needing a mod) ends up with a fart joke.

Well played gentlemen. Well played.

Rich-n-Texas
06-20-2008, 01:52 PM
It'll get back on track beef. Trust me. Even if not one of our existing mods, or not one of the "I've heard it all before" old-timers makes an appearance here to help out, I'm determined to keep this going until Adam acknowledges at least a few of our concerns. :yesnod:

Rich-n-Texas
06-24-2008, 10:45 AM
I registered over at The Home Theater Shack and let me tell you there were quite a few layers that I had to work through before I got my registration response e-mail. Lots of warnings and disclaimers as well.

Another of the more obvious ways to deter spammers is by not allowing anyone with less than ten posts to include links or signatures. This is a rule just about everywhere but here.

Geoffcin
07-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Just to let you know that I'm still alive. I have banished some spamers over the last year, just don't have time to post like I did in the past.

Ericl quit for reason though.

bobsticks
07-27-2008, 03:27 PM

Sounds cryptic...

Geoffcin
07-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Sounds cryptic...

So you would have to ask him that directly. I did know that he wasn't happy. IMHO he was a great admin for these forums. I see the've never replaced him, so that should tell you something.

GMichael
07-28-2008, 05:08 AM
Geoff,

How's it going? Long time no post.
Don't you miss your sparring matches with flo?

bobsticks
07-28-2008, 06:16 AM
Hey y'all,

Just outta curiosity, what exactly are your expectations on this site? I mean there seems to be a bit of a clamor for a new administrator but to what ends?

Regarding the cumbersome qualities of the vBulletin platform, does anyone really think that a new admin is going to initiate radical changes? I've long suspected that the amount of flash ads and data collecting cookies slow thangs down here but given that those are the primary source of income for these characters is there a reasonable suspicion that's going to change?

I've heard alot of calls for an "Introductions" page but in the last several weeks I've seen several new members sign up and start out with fairly transparent titles like "I'm New" and barely get any response at all. Mebbe we should do our part before lookin' to sweep somebody else's porch.

I keep hearin' talk about "leadership"; are we in a competition and I didn't know about it? How strong a leadership role do you expect, or even want, someone to play around here? FWIW, I like the slow and loose style that we have and the last thing I want is every conversation dictated by the prevailing mood of some webmaster...and as for spam, I think E-Stat and John do a commendable job keepin' the place clean. We just need to get 'em some help, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we need Julie McCoy, ship's Entertainment Director around here.

I'm willing to accept that there's multiple viewpoints on this but it just seems to me that everytime we've had some major "upgrade" around here we've actually lost mambers.

Just somethin' to think about...

---sticks

Rich-n-Texas
07-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Just to let you know that I'm still alive. I have banished some spamers over the last year, just don't have time to post like I did in the past.
You've "banished" two, maybe three spam messages over the past year. If you don't have time to post then I'm sure you don't have time to moderate.

HEY GUYS!!

Sorry... i guess i never told the board. I quit working for AudioReview in April! I moved down to san diego and got a great new job but it's keeping me super busy. miss you guys though! I pop in and lurk now and then but hardly ever log in..

Like I said...

I also think it's time for either more mods or new ones. The Leaders page could use some restructuring IMO.

I see the've never replaced him, so that should tell you something.
If you read the first post in this thread (and the title of it as well) you would have seen that there has been someone working as a temp and has done some site updates recently.

The last message I got from atomicAdam about two weeks ago indicated that until membership increases, there won't be a need to add more moderators, so that rules out the first part of my quote...

Geoffcin
07-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Geoff,

How's it going? Long time no post.
Don't you miss your sparring matches with flo?

Yeah, it's been a while. I got assigned to a major project at work, and it was like two years of 65-70 hour weeks. Really burned me out. Had no time to spar with anyone really. Project is flying now, and things are looking up.

Geoff

07-30-2008, 01:08 PM
So you would have to ask him that directly. I did know that he wasn't happy. IMHO he was a great admin for these forums. I see the've never replaced him, so that should tell you something.

I thought he was a horrible site administrator. He was not open for any suggestions, moderated the hell out of the site which drove folks away, he was stubborn and pig headed, and he didn't take things at face value. Those were just his good points.

Auricauricle
07-30-2008, 04:18 PM
GRAMMAR GESTAPO!

A hoarse horse is quite coarse of course!

-Sorry, folks...Had to let 'er out...

07-31-2008, 10:08 AM
A hoarse horse is quite coarse of course!

-Sorry, folks...Had to let 'er out...

Last time somebody said they HAD to let'er out, it was JSE. We could not get back on the forum for days until the stench cleared away. Hold it in pleeeeeeze!

bobsticks
08-10-2008, 09:33 AM
I have tried to contact Atomic Adam regarding what is fairly clearly a massive spam attack via the Private Message conduit.

I would suggest that y'all do not open PMs from unknown individuals.

What's Going On?
Currently Active Users: 781 (221 members and 560 guests)
Most users ever online was 2,319, 04-11-2006 at 06:19 PM.
bobsticks*, 0907pl, 1234567890, 2001s4, 2395, 2810, 2gerbils, 51nocaster, 720304, 91redmx-5, a7za3, aassdd, Abayomi, abobotek, acamview, acton, acura17, adriana, adunfo77, afroken, ajith, akalei, alainn, alang, alexchief, alexijm, alexkidd, alian123, alinestra, alphi, amgbnz, andelau, andrew11, andreyong, andrkemp, anilnalkur, annaanna, anoraya, anth323, anus, aragon, arijit, armani, ASB, ashura, askila, atkins902, atlas, AudibleFrenzie, audio, Audio1, audio_dude, Auricauricle, aussie1, av8te, avcables, avnorm, avp777, avtoex, ayush06, azad_123, badong, bama1b, banehawi, banshe, barnard, basite, bastiat, batara, batuhant, baughb, bdozer, Bearance, Beardg, beets, bello, BenAudio, benjamin12, Berean, bernard1, bernardyn, bertje, bhattaca, bhenry, bhill, bhs49, BIGANG, billrus, billtape, bilpo, biobio, BISA, bischof, bisu, bjorn001, bjornb17, bjosephd, bloomdog, bloosqr, bluebeard, blyaron, bmnot, Boavida, bobbyd, bonetx, bottgers, BRANDONH, Brittpop, bro, brunken, bsr2005, BTAMBE, bubacka, bubiep, bumbed, bushmills, cage22, caitjens, calbears, callen, camel13, caozhendong, captjamo, carl180, casino online, castaneda, ces666, cfryman, chacruz, chaos24, chax, chebacco, chevive7, chevyii, chom04, chorac, chrispri, christ123, chudel, chunya, cinecity, cjod, classic, cliff, Climbo, cloreen, cns22, concertina5, conker, cooper24, Corsair, cosmo1, cruser, cslinger, Cthugar, dadmav, damins, danalee, dandares, danrather, danyboy2, Darth Flatus, darthlordx, datadan, datiboy, daverensman, daves312, davidfromexeter, davids52, davidtt, dawgs85, daxnil, deepni, delano, demarques, denimi, dering, deside, destarr, desxre, dewmonster, dezrob1, dharmesh, dhonny22, dickson, different, diklot, diknor, dilnil, dimmer, dimrost, dja-8384, djmoma, dkvce, dn38416, docsak, dogwood, dominoe, don60433, donian, dougcole, dplewis, dr jekyll, drake, dread31, dreaman, dremrom, drem_12, d_pollut, Face, hmmmm, Les, Luvin Da Blues, markw, Mike Anderson, oll, tonyl, tony_abreu...

basite
08-10-2008, 11:52 AM
I have tried to contact Atomic Adam regarding what is fairly clearly a massive spam attack via the Private Message conduit.

I would suggest that y'all do not open PMs from unknown individuals.

thanks for noticing sticks...

I was just going to say 'haven't had a PM yet', until 10 seconds ago when the page reloaded when I quoted your post, and I saw I had a pm from a certain 'member' Banshe (or something like that)...

title was 'have you ever seen this site'.

I too, strongly suggest not opening PM's from suspected spamming members, and not under any circumstances click any possible link shown to you in those PM's.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

bobsticks
08-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Wow. Now all the "new members" are reading the private messages they've sent one another. It seems as if this is clogging up the bandwidth and slowing things down further but who knows?

Nice knowin' ya'll. Where's everyone goin' to hang?

Lopakhin and she converse about the weather and various mundane subjects, both trying to find a way to reveal their feelings. One of the workers calls for Lopakhin and he exits hastily without asking Varya to marry him. Varya is devastated and Ranevskaya comforts her when she returns. The family and their servants all gather to say their respective goodbyes to the estate and the cherry orchard, one by one departing for their new lives. Ranevskaya tearfully bids her old life goodbye and leaves as the house is shut up forever. In the darkness Firs wanders into the room and discovers that they have left without him and boarded him inside the abandoned house to die. He lies down on the couch and resigns himself to his fate, as offstage we hear the axes as they cut down the cherry orchard.

Rich-n-Texas
08-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Last time I sent mail to atomicAdam was a month ago. Never heard back. I guess it's back to the some old chit. :rolleyes:

WOW!!! Look at all the n00bs!

bobsticks
08-10-2008, 05:32 PM
I can't help but notice our old friend "Jeannette" has been busy PMing folks again...

atomicAdam
08-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Sorry for jumping into this thread late -

Unfortunately my time is spread thin among audioreview forums, audioreview redesign, and other sites from consumerreview.

audioreview is going to be the major part of my attention in the next couple of weeks and I hope to implement some of the suggestions and request from you'll.

I know recently AR has been hit with PM spams - I've made some modifications to account permissions and am looking into pruning dated unused accounts.

As far as forum functionality goes, all consumerreview sites that use vBulletin will be getting upgraded soon. This is mainly for security reasons but the forums functionalities will be nice as well. Unfortunately I have no control over when this will happen, but I know it is on our engineer's "to do sooner than later" list.

Please help me help AR if you can.
1) Report SPAM either in the forums or in the reviews.
2) Email or PM me with concerns when you have them. adam (at) consumerreview (dot) com

Thanks,
-adam

Rich-n-Texas
09-30-2008, 05:36 AM
Adam,

I see you're no longer an admin here. Do we now send our correspondences to AudioREVIEW Guy? Are upgrades to the vBulletin sites you mention still part of the plan?

Also, I've noticed more threads being locked recently, including one that was locked yesterday for which there was no reason given, nor the admin/mod's name who locked it. Is that going to be the norm? Is AudioREVIEW Guy the permanent admin now?

bobsticks
10-01-2008, 05:31 AM
Also, I've noticed more threads being locked recently, including one that was locked yesterday for which there was no reason given, nor the admin/mod's name who locked it. Is that going to be the norm? Is AudioREVIEW Guy the permanent admin now?

Hmmm. I wonder why BigMoney's thread was locked...though there was some level of disagreement it wasn't a flame war or anything. Can posters lock their own threads or was this an administrative decision?

JohnMichael
10-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Hmmm. I wonder why BigMoney's thread was locked...though there was some level of disagreement it wasn't a flame war or anything. Can posters lock their own threads or was this an administrative decision?

Yes the person originating the thread can lock it down.

bobsticks
10-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Yes the person originating the thread can lock it down.

Hey John, thanks for the clarification. All thses posts and I've never even looked...

Rich-n-Texas
10-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Bump. :rolleyes: