What is Line Source by SpeakerCraft? What is the physics of this technology? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What is Line Source by SpeakerCraft? What is the physics of this technology?

stevef22
06-13-2008, 06:28 PM
What is Line Source by SpeakerCraft? What is the physics of this technology? I am thinking about buying Some SpeakerCraft Starlet 4 In-Wall Loudspeakers. Please advise.

About the Starlet Series:

Highly Evolved, In-Wall Home Theater Systems. SpeakerCraft has created a line of in-wall speakers designed for both home theater and critical listening applications.

The Starlet series was designed around a highly acclaimed speaker configuration called Line Source. The Line Source design provides exceptional imaging and accuracy especially for in-wall speakers. At the heart of the system are multiple 61⁄2" woofers that run from top to bottom on each model. The woofers are all horn loaded to improve performance and are topped with a matched ribbon tweeter. The ribbon tweeter produces an incredible off-axis response. This wide sound pattern allows the speaker to sound great wherever you are in the room. This also is a bonus for home theater systems, where listening position is critical.

Incredibly, the entire assembly has its own retrofittable extruded aluminum enclosure. This is made possible by utilizing a neodymium magnet that is located at the front of the speaker, freeing up the space behind the woofer. Neodymium magnets are more powerful and therefore can be made smaller. There is nothing off the shelf in this speaker, every part was engineered from the ground up specifically for the best performance. The acoustic and mechanical challenges were a tremendous undertaking, but it was worth it. The end result is a phenomenal sounding product we are sure will astound you.

SpeakerCraft Starlet 4 Performance Specifications:

* Four 6-1/2" Kevlar Cone Woofers
* Ribbon Tweeters
* Line Source Design
* Extruded Aluminum Enclosure

Efficiency: 90dB 1W/1m
Min. Power Requirements: 2 x 75 watts per speaker
Impedance: 6 OHMS Nominal
Frequency Response: 90Hz - 21kHz ±2dB
Grille Frame Dimensions: H 36-3/4" x W 9-1/4" x D 3-1/4"
Cut-out Dimensions: H 34-1/4" x W 8"

markw
06-13-2008, 07:17 PM
It sounds, to me, like yer basic speaker system that uses four identical woofers mounted one above the other so it produces a long, thin speaker.

Add a heckuva lot of puffery and a pinch of techno-babble and, violia, you get the "line source" speaker.

stevef22
06-13-2008, 08:38 PM
lol, I am thinking about that.... I know PSB uses a technology called "Transmission Line" for their in wall speakers. What do you think of the quality of SpeakerCraft? Just nice puffery or actual substance to their products?

RGA
06-13-2008, 09:32 PM
yeah a lot of blather - 90hz? In wall? They need the technoblathering because that's probably all they've got.

Still, you never know give them a listen and see if you like them.

stevef22
06-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Ill pair up a subwoofer with this, doubt 90 hzzz thats dumb

stevef22
06-15-2008, 07:28 PM
90 hz from 3-1/4" . YA baby

stevef22
06-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Ohhh its 90 hz because all the woofers are combining to create one large long speaker/sub? http://www.hometheatermag.com/images/archivesart/605speakercraft.2.jpg

E-Stat
06-20-2008, 08:46 PM
What is Line Source by SpeakerCraft? What is the physics of this technology?
The concept of a line source is hardly new. Early 1970s Magneplanar Tympanis were line source speakers. As opposed to point source speakers, line sources are typically narrow and tall speakers which inherently radiate differently. Their output also falls in a linear fashion with distance as opposed to dropping off by the square. There are lots of different flavors. Although they are not narrow, my Sound Lab electrostats are line sources. (see my gallery if you're interested). While my speakers use a single full range driver, other examples are the Pipedreams (http://www.nearfieldacoustics.com/) speakers that use multiple arrays of conventional speakers. Line arrays are now in vogue in large scale sound reinforcement systems by JBL and others.

rw