OK, now I'm pissed! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OK, now I'm pissed!

markw
06-13-2008, 06:05 AM
My trusty old Proscan 32" CRT which I've had since 2000 decided to show m a black screen last night. The funny thing is that the graphics (volume, channel, input selection, menu settings) still show just fine, just no picture from any input source. Up until then it gave a great picture.

I'm not really ready to go for a flat-screen yet but I may have to. I'm still trying to get an idea of what someone would charge to troubleshoot/fix this. That may be the determining factor here.

Life... a kick in the nethers when you least need it. ...and I still haven't received my stimulus check!

thanks for letting me rant.

bobsticks
06-13-2008, 06:17 AM
You may want to grab that Vizio you've been eyeing before the price goes up to meet the licensing fees...j/k

Seriously, sorry to read that Mark, and you're right, these things always seem to happen at the least convenient time.

JSE
06-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Maybe the subtitles still work! You can read your shows? :idea: :cornut:

Seriously though, that sucks. Proscan makes (made?) some great products.

JSE

E-Stat
06-13-2008, 06:44 AM
My trusty old Proscan 32" CRT which I've had since 2000 decided to show m a black screen last night.
Recently, my 1993 Proscan died in a similar fashion. Boy is that thing a tank! Weighs almost as much as I do. Like yours, the sound still works fine. Which really ticks me off because it had external speaker connections (I used some old KLH speakers) and an audio output jack that I used to drive a sub. The 42" Vizio that replaced it has neither. And while it looks great with a DVD source, it is kinda fuzzy on regular TV. Like computer monitors, most flat screens have a "native resolution". HDTV looks incredible if you have it. Anything less and it is bettered by old CRTs.

I'm still trying to get an idea of what someone would charge to troubleshoot/fix this.
Good luck, but I think its dead. I bought an el cheapo $89 Korean 13" tv from Best Buy to use in the bathroom (yes, the wife likes to watch morning TV while she's getting ready). After about a year, it died. Since it was still in warranty for parts, I took it back for a repair estimate. The guy called me and gave me the figure for labor. All I could do was laugh. The repair guy knew why. The labor was more expensive than simply buying a new unit.

rw

GMichael
06-13-2008, 06:51 AM
Sorry to hear that Mark. You know that you and the misses are still welcome to stop by anytime to watch a little tube.

Rich-n-Texas
06-13-2008, 07:02 AM
Get with the times old man! Cripes! :biggrin5:

f0rge
06-13-2008, 07:25 AM
that sucks, but nothing like something old breaking to give you a reason to get something new and shiny.

now i just wish my 11year old car would do the same lol

markw
06-13-2008, 07:41 AM
Sorry to hear that Mark. You know that you and the misses are still welcome to stop by anytime to watch a little tube.Thanks, we appreciate that. Maybe we could even watch your TV while we're there, too. ;)

markw
06-13-2008, 07:49 AM
We're hoping to move to Texas within the next year or so. that's when I wanna spring for a new, ginormous flat screen.

If I can get this fixed for < $200 - $250 and get a few more years out of it I would feel that it was a worthwhile investment. Even though it's prehistoric technology, it gave a great pic for an old SD CRT.

I've got a buddy (in PA) that does TV's professionally and he might be able to help out, but transporting that behemoth wll be a task! Gonna call him tonight and see what he says. I'm pretty good at describing problems in things like this (duh! no picture!) and I think he's got access to a symptomatic lookup database for common problems.

Just funnin wid ya, GM. We'll be out ther this summer. Never, ever feed me such a straight line, or was that a straight line in itself?

Worf101
06-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Or in the air. My CRT just started losing it as well. I went the LCD route. It's expensive but hopefully you'll get something you'll really love in return.

Da Worfster

GMichael
06-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks, we appreciate that. Maybe we could even watch your TV while we're there, too. ;)

We've made a few changes sinse last time. New speakers upstairs. The basement system is up & running (so no AM radio this time).

GMichael
06-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Just funnin wid ya, GM. We'll be out ther this summer. Never, ever feed me such a straight line, or was that a straight line in itself?

I feed these things out in hopes that they will spark laughter one way or another.
Your straight line was very nice too. :ihih: :ciappa: :ihih:

Mr Peabody
06-13-2008, 05:09 PM
If you have a friend, you might reach your goal. To give you an idea, my DAC quit working, I put it in the shop, they charged me $128.00 to fix a broke connection.

pixelthis
06-13-2008, 06:42 PM
We're hoping to move to Texas within the next year or so. that's when I wanna spring for a new, ginormous flat screen.

If I can get this fixed for < $200 - $250 and get a few more years out of it I would feel that it was a worthwhile investment. Even though it's prehistoric technology, it gave a great pic for an old SD CRT.

I've got a buddy (in PA) that does TV's professionally and he might be able to help out, but transporting that behemoth wll be a task! Gonna call him tonight and see what he says. I'm pretty good at describing problems in things like this (duh! no picture!) and I think he's got access to a symptomatic lookup database for common problems.

you're TV is DEAD.
You have trouble with your video proc, the only thing left is that little character generator
that puts info on the screen.
THE TUBE IS EIGHT YEARS OLD, it will cost minimum 300 bucks to fix..
You can buy a 32in 16:9 HD set for under five hundred.
DO THE MATH.
And heres something else to consider.
The industry concentrated on reliable long lasting stuff that you throw away when it breaks
because of an interesting phenom whereby changing a part in a electronic device
causes something else to fail.
That new part will be up to spec, but the rest of the set wont be
So six months to a year down the road something else will break.
Also engineers try their best to design a device so that everything wears out at once.
Like Richard Pryor said in silver streak...
PAY THE MAN :1:

markw
06-13-2008, 07:27 PM
you're TV is DEAD.
You have trouble with your video proc, the only thing left is that little character generator
DO THE MATH.
The industry concentrated on reliable long lasting stuff that you throw away when it breaks
Also engineers try their best to design a device so that everything wears out at once.
PAY THE MAN :1:But, before pronouncing final rights, do you mind if I let a buddy I've known since 1963 who repairs these for a living take a peek at it? We've been doing each other little "courtsies" for about 45 years so far.

Plus, to get the same "visual impact"* of this 32" 4:3 unit, I'll have to spring for a 42" 16:9 set.

* my term for getting a picture in a 16:9 set that's the same height as a 4:3 set.

pixelthis
06-14-2008, 07:47 PM
But, before pronouncing final rights, do you mind if I let a buddy I've known since 1963 who repairs these for a living take a peek at it? We've been doing each other little "courtsies" for about 45 years so far.

Plus, to get the same "visual impact"* of this 32" 4:3 unit, I'll have to spring for a 42" 16:9 set.

* my term for getting a picture in a 16:9 set that's the same height as a 4:3 set.

A "37" 16:9 is generally considered the "replacement for a 32 in 4:3 dino.
ANYWAY you can get a 42 for a grand or cheaper if you look.
Have your "guy" look at this set, I am pretty sure he will agree with me.
BTW, have you tried slamming the cabinet?
Works wonders sometimes.
But your tube IS working, as is your high voltage power supply, both big ticket items:1:

Woochifer
06-16-2008, 01:19 PM
My trusty old Proscan 32" CRT which I've had since 2000 decided to show m a black screen last night. The funny thing is that the graphics (volume, channel, input selection, menu settings) still show just fine, just no picture from any input source. Up until then it gave a great picture.

I'm not really ready to go for a flat-screen yet but I may have to. I'm still trying to get an idea of what someone would charge to troubleshoot/fix this. That may be the determining factor here.

Life... a kick in the nethers when you least need it. ...and I still haven't received my stimulus check!

thanks for letting me rant.

Haven't gotten my stimulus check either (although that's already earmarked for my daughter's college fund, since she and her peers will be paying for this "stimulus").

Sounds more like an input issue than anything having to do with the tube or other big ticket replacements, since the OSD still works. If you have no plans to go flat screen yet, then it might be worthwhile to at least get a diagnosis. I remember my parents TV several years ago was totally nonresponsive, it was just a blown capacitor on the control board (a $5 part and about half an hour of the technician's time, and it was fixed). Of course, if your TV aggregates more of the functions onto ICs, that same kind of fix might require replacing the entire board, and that can be $$$$.

The cost of the troubleshooting will depend on whether your TV requires a housecall or if you can bring the thing in. Drop-in estimates usually aren't expensive, but on-site diagnosis and pick up/delivery costs can be. These charges on big screens is how TV repair places stayed in business after smaller TVs became disposable commodity items.

Another short-term option would be the second hand market. A lot of perfectly functional TVs are getting jettisoned as consumers move to flat screens. If you're okay with the bulk and weight of CRTs, you can find relatively recent tube-based HDTVs selling for ~$100 on Craigslist. As an interim solution, this should work fine since you can always resell the TV when you move to Texas for little to no depreciation, and in the meantime they will likely display SD programming better than a flat panel.

Smokey
06-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Mark

If I am not mistaken, you bought a Toshiba 32 inch LCD last year. What happened to that TV?

markw
06-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Mark

If I am not mistaken, you bought a Toshiba 32 inch LCD last year. What happened to that TV?Good memory. It's still going strong in the small music/HT/library/guest bedroom and still has a fine picture.

The Proscan was in the larger main living area where most casual TV watching is done, particularly when a crowd gathers. Most of what we watch (on non-movie TV) is only worthy of SD anyway, so this was a perfect performer. If we want a great picture, Mrs W and I (and one or two lucky guests) truck it on down to the small room.

Until 16:9 HD becomes the norm, I can still see the need for a nice big-screen 4:3 CRT

If we do wind up going for another LCD, Toshiba is high on my wish list.

JSE
06-17-2008, 01:32 PM
We're hoping to move to Texas within the next year or so.

That's Rich and I's territory! We must prepare. :arf:

GMichael
06-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Time to fire up the BBQ.

Smokey
06-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Until 16:9 HD becomes the norm, I can still see the need for a nice big-screen 4:3 CRT.

I wish you had this problem six months ago. Bestbuy had Sharp 32 inch 4:3 Flat Tube with digital tuner (I have non flat version) on clearance for $360. As Wooch said, best bet would be to check your local craiglist TV sales.

Time to fire up the BBQ.

Got it going already http://d21c.com/AnnesPlace/Summer/Bbq.gif

Rich-n-Texas
06-17-2008, 06:34 PM
From what he's told me he'll be living about halfway between the two of us JSE. We'll be able to fire shots across his bow from almost equal distances. :ihih:

Rich-n-Texas
06-17-2008, 06:46 PM
you're TV is DEAD.
DO THE MATH.
PAY THE MAN :1:
They do WHAT? So you're saying they design a set so a carbon resistor will wear out at the same time an op amp does? Good grief! You were a cop, now you're a security guard in a hospital, but you know for a fact that all the components in a TV are (as best as the engineers can do) designed to wear out at the same time? You're kooky! :crazy:

Mr Peabody
06-17-2008, 07:07 PM
If he's moving to Texas he has to keep the broke TV and just sit a 13" on top of it. Mark in TX should be like the sequel to My Cousin Vinnie.

JSE
06-17-2008, 07:45 PM
If he's moving to Texas he has to keep the broke TV and just sit a 13" on top of it. Mark in TX should be like the sequel to My Cousin Vinnie.

I think I'm offended? :confused5: :biggrin5:

pixelthis
06-17-2008, 10:31 PM
They do WHAT? So you're saying they design a set so a carbon resistor will wear out at the same time an op amp does? Good grief! You were a cop, now you're a security guard in a hospital, but you know for a fact that all the components in a TV are (as best as the engineers can do) designed to wear out at the same time? You're kooky! :crazy:

what the FRICK do you do at TI?
Change out light bulbs?
You know absolutely NOTHING about putting a modern industrial device together.
Marketing, right? You're one of the useless eaters?
ITS industrial engineering 101, when you design something, be it a 747 or a four slot toaster, you engineer it to last a certain time.
If a part of that device lasts longer, then you're wasting money, because it will still have LIFE left when you throw away the device.
So you get a cheaper part, one that will last about as long as the rest of the device.
the JAPANESE , with the most modern equipment, are best at this.
They design their cars to last ten years.
When a japanese car starts to wear out everything wears out at once.
Whenever anything is built it is first designed, and a major part of that design is testing every part to see how long they last.
Its not perfect, but you seldom find a part in a discarded piece of gear with much more life in it.
the TV mentioned by op in this thread is eight years OLD, guarentee ya if he gets it fixed
something else will break, either because of changed electrical values, or because the set is coming close to its designed life(probably ten years, common for tv sets).
ADD to the fact that its obsolete and its a no brainer to toss it.
As for waiting for 16:9 widescreen tv to become prevalent, hate to break the seal on your
time capsule to tell ya, but that is pretty much the case already
And for whatever 4:3 material left, streach mode or normal for purists is available.
But these days its mostly wide screen.
BASEBALL, a local newscast, just about all of primetime, its all wide these days:1:

GMichael
06-18-2008, 05:48 AM
what the FRICK do you do at TI?
Change out light bulbs?
You know absolutely NOTHING about putting a modern industrial device together.
Marketing, right? You're one of the useless eaters?
ITS industrial engineering 101, when you design something, be it a 747 or a four slot toaster, you engineer it to last a certain time.
If a part of that device lasts longer, then you're wasting money, because it will still have LIFE left when you throw away the device.
So you get a cheaper part, one that will last about as long as the rest of the device.
the JAPANESE , with the most modern equipment, are best at this.
They design their cars to last ten years.
When a japanese car starts to wear out everything wears out at once.
Whenever anything is built it is first designed, and a major part of that design is testing every part to see how long they last.
Its not perfect, but you seldom find a part in a discarded piece of gear with much more life in it.
the TV mentioned by op in this thread is eight years OLD, guarentee ya if he gets it fixed
something else will break, either because of changed electrical values, or because the set is coming close to its designed life(probably ten years, common for tv sets).
ADD to the fact that its obsolete and its a no brainer to toss it.
As for waiting for 16:9 widescreen tv to become prevalent, hate to break the seal on your
time capsule to tell ya, but that is pretty much the case already
And for whatever 4:3 material left, streach mode or normal for purists is available.
But these days its mostly wide screen.
BASEBALL, a local newscast, just about all of primetime, its all wide these days:1:

You must work for General Motors.

Rich-n-Texas
06-18-2008, 07:25 AM
Not possible. My 2000 Firebird still runs.

(Later on, when I feel like it, I'm going to throw the acronym MTBF at him and see how hot his engine temp gets. :rolleyes: )

GMichael
06-18-2008, 07:29 AM

It's not 10 yet.

Rich-n-Texas
06-18-2008, 07:33 AM
So it'll be DEAD when it gets to 10 right? The alternator and the back seat are designed to break after ten years.

Woochifer
06-18-2008, 07:44 AM
So it'll be DEAD when it gets to 10 right? The alternator and the back seat are designed to break after ten years.

Hmmm, then I must be driving a ghost ... my Acura's 15 years old ... :3:

Rich-n-Texas
06-18-2008, 07:48 AM
You're risking catastrophy! :yikes:

JSE
06-18-2008, 08:37 AM
So it'll be DEAD The alternator and the back seat are designed to break after ten years.

What have you been doing in that back seat?

GMichael
06-18-2008, 08:45 AM

My Acura is 12 years old and has 190k miles on it. Then again, it's not a GM product.

bobsticks
06-18-2008, 09:23 AM
What have you been doing in that back seat?

Hey, speaking of that were'd your multi-lingual girlfriend go Rich? You scare her off already?

GMichael
06-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Check your production date. It's usually on a label on the driver's door jam. Be sure not to drive your car on that date plus 10 years. Your wheels may fall off as you are driving.

Rich-n-Texas
06-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Hey, speaking of that were'd your multi-lingual girlfriend go Rich? You scare her off already?
Who dat? Oh, you're talking about meowmix? She's married so...

:smilewinkgrin: <== Catsmeow

Rich-n-Texas
06-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Check your production date. It's usually on a label on the driver's door jam. Be sure not to drive your car on that date plus 10 years. Your wheels may fall off as you are driving.
Already know it.

#6's connecting rod will break at the same time the rearview falls off.

GMichael
06-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Already know it.

#6's connecting rod will break at the same time the rearview falls off.

Check the 5th & 8th digits of your vehicle ID number. If they match, then it will be your #3 connecting rod that will go first.

bobsticks
06-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Check the 5th & 8th digits of your vehicle ID number. If they match, then it will be your #3 connecting rod that will go first.

It's true. I read it in Nostradamus.

Rich-n-Texas
06-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Okay now I don't know what to do. If I replace ALL connecting rods, the new ones with the old bearings will cause the bearings to break, causing the piston to slap the valve, causing the rocker arm to shatter, bending the pushrod, collapsing the lifter, and causing the cam to snap. WTF man?!?!?!

And I'm not even mentioning what'll happen to the crankshaft.

Ah! Who cares? I'll be replacing the beast before 2010, and besides, internal combustion engines will be DEAD by then anyway.:1:

GMichael
06-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Are you guys being mean to me? It seems like you are being mean. If I find out that you guys are being mean, then I'm going to take my ball and go home.

Rich-n-Texas
06-18-2008, 11:12 AM
So what was this thread about again? :confused:

GMichael
06-18-2008, 11:14 AM
So what was this thread about again? :confused:

It's about................

2 pages too long.

Rich-n-Texas
06-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Mark's gonna be pissed!

Oh wait... He's already pissed ain't he? :ihih:

GMichael
06-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Mark's gonna be pissed!

That's it! That was the equation! Survival cancels out programming!

Mr Peabody
06-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Pix said Japanese cars are designed for 10. GM is American, it's only designed for 3.

Luvin Da Blues
06-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Okay now I don't know what to do. If I replace ALL connecting rods, the new ones with the old bearings will cause the bearings to break, causing the piston to slap the valve, causing the rocker arm to shatter, bending the pushrod, collapsing the lifter, and causing the cam to snap. WTF man?!?!?!

And that is why a true hot rodder builds from the ground up.

I didn't know engineering has evolved to a point where they design consumer products parts to wear out at the same time and still make it economically feasible but I do admit they are getting better.

Designers identify where the greatest wear or stresses are in a device is and quantify the importance of that part. Some parts are made to be changed out like wheel bearings, brake pads, fan belts etc. It's called maintenance.

Here I was going to open up a used car part business but what's the point knowing what I know now.

Did anyone see the show where they recycled about 95% of a 747. All parts were reused, rebuilt, refurbished and tested before being put back in service. Just saying that most of the parts far outlast the airframe.

Another example, and there is many, is the old Dodge Slant six, the body and interior were literally rotting off these cars and the motor kept on ticking. I wouldn't call that having all the parts wear out at the same time.

Mr Peabody
06-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Dude, I had a 75 Duster with the slant 6, it had 216k miles on it. It might be still running today but I didn't know jack about cars and one winter the water system froze and ruined the motor. What i think happened is the previous owner had some kind of heating device on it which I never used and don't even know if it worked. I was always having problems with the radiator and water system. This moter was doing great up until that point though and the rear fenders were rusted through with not much left, some times the door handles stuck and if you didn't hit it on top so it fastened shut you could end up with your door flying open in a curve, I remember one time our brakes literally went out, thank God we were only on a side road in a neighborhood and rolled it to a stop after steering into a grassy spot. Why don't the U.S. build them like that any more? It's like we were building the great cars and just gave up and let foreign companies have it. That slant 6 could keep up with VW or Toyota in racking up the miles and still running. My wife had an old Bonneville with a 400 in it when I met her. This was a 70's tug boat. I'm not sure how many miles it had but it was plenty, this car looked like it had rolled through hell but as long as I kept oil in it and got electric to it that motor cranked every time. The poor car was offensive, it had the vinyl top all pealed off, rubber hanging from the bumper, the dash had a wide gap like it was about to fall in the floor. I had a 98 Malibu I kept until it was paid off, still low miles and sold it to my daughter, for nothing, she put some miles on it but once it started getting toward 100k it was like that thing was on self destruct. It makes what Pix say almost make sense. The thing is the Malibu wasn't supposed to even have a tune up until 100k. Is it the lack of American pride, our poor education system giving us low rent engineers or greed that's about run it's course into the ground?

pixelthis
06-18-2008, 11:41 PM

(Later on, when I feel like it, I'm going to throw the acronym MTBF at him and see how hot his engine temp gets. :rolleyes: )

YEAH, IT STILL RUNS
downhill
Pretty much like the owner:1:

pixelthis
06-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Are you guys being mean to me? It seems like you are being mean. If I find out that you guys are being mean, then I'm going to take my ball and go home.

Your wife told me you had one ball.
How sad for you.:1:

pixelthis
06-18-2008, 11:49 PM

Ah! Who cares? I'll be replacing the beast before 2010, and besides, internal combustion engines will be DEAD by then anyway.:1:

Its DEAD already.
Really tho, you need to talk to some of the engineers where you work, that is if they talk to janitors.
They'll set you straight about modern design theory.
Maybe.
After all, they work for TI, so take what they say with a grain of salt.
After all, these are the guys who spent millions developing the DLP chip, which
only produces greyscale:1:

emaidel
06-19-2008, 03:40 AM
. Why don't the U.S. build them like that any more?

In an effort to keep this thread going off in all sorts of directions other than which it started, I, for one, am glad "the U.S." doesn't "build them like that anymore."

I owned a '72 Camaro, which I really liked at the time. Still, it was typical of a 70's vehicle: overweight, too big, and a true gas guzzler (rarely ever more than 15 mpg), and with a truly useless back seat and equally useless trunk. But it looked great! And, it rusted like crazy - even the roof rusted right through the light tan vinyl roof!

My '78 Grand Prix was delivered brand new with a 3-speed automatic transmission that mysteriously had no second gear, and with rocker panel molding missing on one side of the car.

My parents' 70's Chrysler station wagon had permanently mis-aligned front wheels, and a steering wheel whose cross member rarely ever was horizontal. And did it ever rattle!

The Japanese did indeed teach the U.S. auto industry a lesson during the 80's when American cars' quality control was at its all time worst, and it's still reeling from that. American auto manufacturers today do make a few really good cars: the Ford Fusion, the Chevy Malibu, the Cadillac CTS as examples. Unfortunately, for them, the past disasters continue to haunt them.

Rich-n-Texas
06-19-2008, 04:06 AM
Hey Smokey, can I borrow nurse Ratchett? Looks like pix has gone off his meds again. :rolleyes:

bobsticks
06-19-2008, 04:51 AM

Isn't that Beefy?

GMichael
06-19-2008, 05:04 AM
The only thing my wife would say to you is, "Stop pissing on the lawn and get a job."

bobsticks
06-19-2008, 05:15 AM
The only thing my wife would say to you is, "Stop pissing on the lawn and get a job."

Somebody give that man a greenie...me gun be jammed.

markw
06-19-2008, 06:07 AM
How sad for you.:1:That's still one more than you can claim.

f0rge
06-19-2008, 10:01 AM
my pontiac is 11years old, but only has like 135k miles on it. but that's 11 salty canadian winters

GMichael
06-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Canadian years are not the same as Texan years.:devil:

You see, Texas is closer to the equator. Because of this, they need to travel farther each day to make a full Earth revolution. Over the course of a year, it turns out to be quit a few extra miles. Cars don't last as long there as they do up in Canada. You guys are taking a short cut around every day. It's not really fair that you get this advantage, but what can we do about it?

Rich-n-Texas
06-19-2008, 10:10 AM
My '78 Gran Prix "SJ"

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/My%20cars/GrandPrix2.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/My%20cars/GrandPrix1.jpg

If only I'd kept it. I bought it used in like 1981 and I took such good care of it. Factory mags, red cloth bucket seats, landau roof that shined everytime I cleaned it with Rain Dance vinyl & leather cleaner. I loved that car. :sad:

E-Stat
06-19-2008, 10:52 AM
I, for one, am glad "the U.S." doesn't "build them like that anymore."
Exactly. My first and last new American car was a '78 Trans Am. Fun car to drive, but it had three problems driving off the dealer's lot. Eighteen months later, the air conditioning compressor freezed. Time for this car to be someone else's problem. In '81, I bought my first of many Honda products, all of which had fewer problems at 100,000 miles than the Pontiac did at 100.

You're right about GM producing a handful of decent cars. Ironically, they've had a bunch of good designs in the stable, but they were all European. As for Cadillacs, I could never buy one because of the image of them that has been burned in my mind since I was a kid. The '"Caddies" were driven by blue hairs who cut me off or drove twenty miles under the limit in the passing lane. My dad drove them in his latter yearThe CTS is certainly a different beast, but I find it difficult not referring to them beginning with a word that starts with "f" and ends with "ing". :)

rw

Woochifer
06-19-2008, 02:59 PM

:lol:

Unstucked my greenie gun for this line! :cool:

Woochifer
06-19-2008, 03:14 PM
If only I'd kept it. I bought it used in like 1981 and I took such good care of it. Factory mags, red cloth bucket seats, landau roof that shined everytime I cleaned it with Rain Dance vinyl & leather cleaner. I loved that car. :sad:

Holy moly, is that Chevy Citation in the background? :eek6:

bobsticks
06-19-2008, 03:19 PM
:lol:

Unstucked my greenie gun for this line! :cool:

What, you couldn't have done that a few minutes earlier before Beefy pegged him with a reddie? I'm just trying to get this monkeyoff my back.

Clearly, the Chevy Citation is not still in service.

Woochifer
06-19-2008, 03:53 PM
What, you couldn't have done that a few minutes earlier before Beefy pegged him with a reddie? I'm just trying to get this monkeyoff my back.

Clearly, the Chevy Citation is not still in service.

Wha??? He did wha???? Dang, Beef's now toyin' with them forces of nature! It can only end badly ... :incazzato:

Rich-n-Texas
06-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Holy moly, is that Chevy Citation in the background? :eek6:
HUH? WTF??? Who cares!? You're supposed to be oooowing and aaaahing over my Pontiac!!! :incazzato:

Freakin' knuckleheads. :mad5:

bobsticks
06-19-2008, 05:12 PM
What Pontiac???

Rich-n-Texas
06-19-2008, 06:25 PM
The WHITE one. :mad2:

bobsticks
06-19-2008, 08:12 PM
How'd you edit that so fast and w/out edit points? You been goin' to the Tia Carrere school of pixelization?

Lucky for s'all I saved the original...

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/4771-1973-AMC-Gremlin.jpg

Nice ride. "splains alot.

pixelthis
06-19-2008, 10:55 PM
HUH? WTF??? Who cares!? You're supposed to be oooowing and aaaahing over my Pontiac!!! :incazzato:

Freakin' knuckleheads. :mad5:

HEY, you're the one who not only owned a 1980's gm product but took a friggin picture for evidence:1:

pixelthis
06-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Canadian years are not the same as Texan years.:devil:

You see, Texas is closer to the equator. Because of this, they need to travel farther each day to make a full Earth revolution. Over the course of a year, it turns out to be quit a few extra miles. Cars don't last as long there as they do up in Canada. You guys are taking a short cut around every day. It's not really fair that you get this advantage, but what can we do about it?

THE DAY IN TEXAS isnt any longer...IT JUST SEEMS THAT WAY.
Especially if you live next door to a neurotic ex-jerseyite who takes pictures of his cars:1:

pixelthis
06-19-2008, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE=Rich-n-Texas]Hey Smokey, can I borrow nurse Ratchett? Looks like pix has gone off his meds again. :rolleyes:

audio_dude
06-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Its DEAD already.
Really tho, you need to talk to some of the engineers where you work, that is if they talk to janitors.
They'll set you straight about modern design theory.
Maybe.
After all, they work for TI, so take what they say with a grain of salt.
After all, these are the guys who spent millions developing the DLP chip, which
only produces greyscale:1:

whoa whoa whoa...why all the beef??
And what's with bashing TI?!? Damned if TI calculators haven't helped me breeze through math in school.

Oh, and the DLP chip is paired with a colour wheel numbnuts... hence all of those DLP projectors that everyone ooohs and aaaahs about.

f0rge
06-20-2008, 05:07 AM
pontiacs are badass, here's mine:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/J_Ferguson/OQCGP2008BBQ/P1000278.jpg

she's held up well considering her age...

GMichael
06-20-2008, 05:15 AM
Wha??? He did wha???? Dang, Beef's now toyin' with them forces of nature! It can only end badly ... :incazzato:
Thanks for the love guys. I was feeling very unwelcome after Beefy shot at me, again. Not sure what I ever did to him.
Styx, I haven't checked yet, but if I am on top as you say, I'll have to get out the big guns and start firing off a few greenies your way.
(Alas, my gun is down for the next 24 hours.)

Drat drat and double drat!

Woochifer
06-20-2008, 08:11 AM

Whoa, nice wastewater pumps you got up in Canada! :cool:

Mr Peabody
06-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the love guys.
(Alas, my gun is down for the next 24 hours.)

Drat drat and double drat!

You could ask your doctor for a Viagra sample to see if you can get it up again.

pixelthis
06-20-2008, 07:30 PM
And what's with bashing TI?!? Damned if TI calculators haven't helped me breeze through math in school.

Oh, and the DLP chip is paired with a colour wheel numbnuts... hence all of those DLP projectors that everyone ooohs and aaaahs about.

Ah yes, the infamous "color wheel" that produces rainbow edging and noise.
YA, peeps are just "ohhing and ahhing" those DLP SETS!
ARENT buying too many tho.
Wonder why that is?
WELL, THEY TEND TO BE 18 " DEEP in a flat world, the 200$ bulb has te lifespan of a fruitfly, and the light output degrades over time, affecting the picture before it does go out.
THEY HAVE led POWERED SETS OUT NOW, about 2200 bucks , you can get a similar
lcd or plasma flat screen that will last twenty years, as opposed to a DLP that will last about ten.
OTHER THAN THAT dlp IS DOING FINE.
In the march 2007 issue of PC mag they declared that it was over, LCD had won,
and they were pretty much right:1:

Rich-n-Texas
06-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Ah yes, the infamous "color wheel" that produces rainbow edging and noise.
I don't see a rainbow on my 57" Mitsubishi DLP TV pix. And the bulb hasn't burned out yet either.

Rich-n-Texas
06-20-2008, 07:55 PM
You make waaaaay to many fvckin' assumptions dude.

pixelthis
06-21-2008, 08:45 PM
You make waaaaay to many fvckin' assumptions dude.

about what?
I dont have anything against DLP, but its assumed I do because I state teh fact that its getting its butt kicked in the marketplace.
Thats not an "assumption".
As a matter of fact, best has a DLP from Samsung on sale that I was considering,
1162 for a fifty" set, 1080p yet.
Not too shabby, although I still think that the clueless shouldnt be buying DLP.
DLP needs to be reserved for those who can put up with the regime of letting the bulb warm up and cool off properly, etc.
And rainbow effects have been reported because of the color wheel.
If I state in error pleasse correct me, I wanna be accurate here.:1:

pixelthis
06-21-2008, 09:02 PM

And about those TI "calculators"...
In the seventies I was taking electronics, and during the first year we all used sliderules.
Thats right...sliderules
The only guy who could afford a calculator was teach, they were 120$ or so (about five hundred in todays dollars)
By the third year they had come down in price, you could get one pretty cheap, and every week someone would bring one in to fix, and it was usually a, you guessed it,
TEXAS INSTRUMENTS calculator, usually a scientific model.
And teach would tell them to throw it away, it wasnt worth fixing, because it would cost more that it was worth.
We used to joke about TI calculators having the lifespan of a "fruitfly".
So maybe I am a little biased against TI, but there is a reason, beleive me.:1:

pixelthis
06-21-2008, 09:08 PM

This is your car?
Whos driving it down the street?
Nobodies stealing it, are they?:1:

Auricauricle
06-23-2008, 06:25 AM
That looks like...No it can't be...Is it?....Hey, KIT! KIT!! Get your microchip aspergilis over here right now! Don't let me pull my Nightrider out on your sorry self!!

I thought I was bad with a TI 55-C....Shoulda stayed with the abacus, though....

Rich-n-Texas
06-23-2008, 06:26 AM
about what?
I dont have anything against DLP, but its assumed I do because I state teh fact that its getting its butt kicked in the marketplace.
Thats not an "assumption".
As a matter of fact, best has a DLP from Samsung on sale that I was considering,
1162 for a fifty" set, 1080p yet.
Not too shabby, although I still think that the clueless shouldnt be buying DLP.
DLP needs to be reserved for those who can put up with the regime of letting the bulb warm up and cool off properly, etc.
And rainbow effects have been reported because of the color wheel.
If I state in error pleasse correct me, I wanna be accurate here.

In the seventies I was taking electronics, and during the first year we all used sliderules.
Thats right...sliderules
The only guy who could afford a calculator was teach, they were 120$ or so (about five hundred in todays dollars)
By the third year they had come down in price, you could get one pretty cheap, and every week someone would bring one in to fix, and it was usually a, you guessed it,
And teach would tell them to throw it away, it wasnt worth fixing, because it would cost more that it was worth.
I REALLY don't feel like qualifying all this insane rambling with a response today; it's Monday afterall, but if I have to, I will. :Yawn:

f0rge
06-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Whoa, nice wastewater pumps you got up in Canada! :cool:

hahaha that's actually the back of a tim hortons

Woochifer
06-23-2008, 07:21 AM
hahaha that's actually the back of a tim hortons

:lol: Same difference! (Yes, I've eaten at Tim Horton's)

Rich-n-Texas
06-23-2008, 07:22 AM
Is that a GXP f0rge? Supercharged?

Woochifer
06-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Thats right...sliderules

Pix's Wonderlic Test Results! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfRfPon9vmU)

Mr Peabody
06-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Man, we need a format war.

Rich-n-Texas
06-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Make one up. It's a given that pix'll predict its death, and then pat himself on the back.

Wait a minute, that war wouldn't last very long would it? :confused:

pixelthis
06-23-2008, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=Rich-n-Texas]Make one up. It's a given that pix'll predict its death, and then pat himself on the back.

Wait a minute, that war wouldn't last very long would it? :confused:

pixelthis
06-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Man, we need a format war.

"Format " somebodies hard drive, that will start a war.
BTW there is an article in msn.com about the death of the audiophile, some very insightfull obsevations by Steve Guttenburg, talks about the mess audio is in.
Might wanna read it:1:

JSE
06-24-2008, 07:56 AM
"
BTW there is an article in msn.com about the death of the audiophile, some very insightfull obsevations by Steve Guttenburg, talks about the mess audio is in.

When he makes another decent movie, I will listen to his views on Audiophiles!

Mr Peabody
06-24-2008, 04:35 PM
"Format " somebodies hard drive, that will start a war.
Might wanna read it:1:

So where's the link? And, when, did, he become an expert on audio?

E-Stat
06-24-2008, 04:41 PM
about what?
I dont have anything against DLP, but its assumed I do because I state teh (sic) fact that its getting its butt kicked in the marketplace.
Except of course for the large screen formats (mine is a 61") where LCD didn't exist.

Commonly referred to as the "On/off" switch. :)

rw

pixelthis
06-24-2008, 11:30 PM
When he makes another decent movie, I will listen to his views on Audiophiles!
Not that gutenburg!
This is a collumnist who makes some observations about how much trouble the world of audio is in.
Its a big problem, most are clueless about how good a really nice audio system is.
Try to tell them and while they might think your system sounds good they really dont want to bother with it.
Audio is in competition with computers, the net, games, HT, etc.
Its a big problem, systemic really

http://tech.msn.com/news/articlecnet.aspx?cp-documentid=7768939

heres you're linky, stinky:1:

pixelthis
06-24-2008, 11:37 PM
AND ANOTHER
http://news.cnet.com/audiophiliac/?tag=blgs.list
gREAT AUDIO STUFF for the audio FREAK:1:

Mr Peabody
06-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks dude. Interesting that JVC and Kenwood were married, I thought Kenwood tossed in the towel on home audio long ago. Even more interesting would be what would happen if they got their hands on D&M. Kenwood has put out some formitable gear in the past but is anyone still there with that desire. JVC has always been a budget line.

In the second link on his blogs he says "HK makes some good HT receivers and I have no doubt they would do the same with stereo", in referring to their new 2 channel receiver. If this guy knew anything about audio he'd know HK was building some of the finest stereo receivers on the market before HT was ever thought of.

He did have some good stuff on there though. I'd love to hear that JC2 pre and the JC1 monoblocks.

pixelthis
06-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks dude. Interesting that JVC and Kenwood were married, I thought Kenwood tossed in the towel on home audio long ago. Even more interesting would be what would happen if they got their hands on D&M. Kenwood has put out some formitable gear in the past but is anyone still there with that desire. JVC has always been a budget line.

In the second link on his blogs he says "HK makes some good HT receivers and I have no doubt they would do the same with stereo", in referring to their new 2 channel receiver. If this guy knew anything about audio he'd know HK was building some of the finest stereo receivers on the market before HT was ever thought of.

He did have some good stuff on there though. I'd love to hear that JC2 pre and the JC1 monoblocks.

I think he was talking in the context of modern times.
The older stuff from HARMON WAS A LEGEND, I am sure he saw some, and if he did he would never forget it.
They had a harmon integrated (I think) at a local store, being sold on consignment.
They dont make em like that anymore:1: