CD Storage [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CD Storage

ForeverAutumn
06-13-2008, 06:02 AM
I'm looking for a new storage unit for my CDs. Right now they're scattered over four different shelving units as I just kept buying a new shelf everytime I need more room. I want to buy one (or two if I have to) big shelving units that will store all of my CDs plus have room to grow. Ideally, I'm thinking that storage for 3000 should work for now.

If possible, adjustable shelves so that I can also store DVDs in the same unit would be great.

Does anyone have any suggestions? How do you store your own collection?

emesbee
06-13-2008, 07:21 AM
I have around 1000 CDs and DVDs in total. I had a similar storage problem, but found that all the purpose built storage units were either too expensive, or too small. I ended up buying a relatively inexpensive pine bookcase. I chose one which had shelf spacing that allowed me to make up some extra shelves and fit them between the fixed ones in the bookcase, effectively doubling its storage capacity. I then stained and varnished the whole thing. I worked out that it would hold around 800 CDs. I've since bought another, larger bookcase with extra shelves.

Although they hold a lot of CDs/DVDs, they are just ordinary bookcases, so they look quite good in the lounge and don't take up an excessive amount of space.

In the first bookcase, the extra shelves I fitted are removable, but the original shelves are fixed. In the second bookcase, all the shelves are adjustable, and I bought it with several extra shelves to increase its storage capacity.

Hyfi
06-13-2008, 07:26 AM
I have the CD-1000 deluxe and just ordered the matching 500.

These are well built nice wood units.

http://www.racksandstands.com/Leslie-Dame-C209.html?refid=G63.leslie+dame&gclid=CLqd1fnd8ZMCFSLOIgod92sVWA

Stone
06-13-2008, 09:36 AM
I use Boltz shelves and just keep adding.

Swish
06-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Mine are overflowing! They have those brass book-ends you can order that keep the rows that aren't full from falling side by side. The quality is very good and I'm quite pleased with them. I went with glass doors but should have left them without the doors. Cheaper plus easier access.

http://www.sorice.com/

Swish

Hyfi
06-13-2008, 11:47 AM
empty (and clean) peanut butter jars, teva sandals and a hoola hoop
Shouldn't you be spanking it with SVI?

Swish
06-13-2008, 12:02 PM

Good one.

Swish

JohnMichael
06-13-2008, 01:39 PM

Hugh is sorry, he had to leave in a hurry.

Swish
06-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Hugh is sorry, he had to leave in a hurry.

I, for one, will miss him terribly.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
06-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I'll be sure to check them out. The hard part may be finding stores that will ship to Canada. I'll have to search for a Canadian site, now that I know which storage units to look for.