Copying from PVR to DVD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Copying from PVR to DVD

ForeverAutumn
06-12-2008, 11:35 AM
If I buy a DVD recorder can I copy from my PVR to a DVD? There's a feature that allows me to copy from PVR to VHS (but I've never tried). Would it be different to copy to DVD?

We've decided to change cable companies when we move. My husband reminded me that we'll lose everything that we've PVR'd when we make the change. I have one week to figure out how to save a whole season of Lost! I don't care if I lose the movies we've recorded, most of them are cut to **** anyway.

In case it matters...the shows that I want to save are not recorded in HD format.

kexodusc
06-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Yep, PVR to DVD recorder is doable. I think it's doable in HD too, just don't know how. But in standard def...piece of cake.

Careful, them new piracy laws might get ya :ciappa:

ForeverAutumn
06-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Yep, PVR to DVD recorder is doable. I think it's doable in HD too, just don't know how. But in standard def...piece of cake.

Careful, them new piracy laws might get ya :ciappa:

Nope, the way I understand it the new piracy laws actually ALLOW me to do this, as long as I don't keep the tapes long term. Of course, they don't define "long term" do they?

So how do I do this? Do I just go to BB and buy the cheapest DVD recorder that they have and follow the instructions for VCR transfer? The PVR is a Rogers box if that makes a difference.

kexodusc
06-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Nope, the way I understand it the new piracy laws actually ALLOW me to do this, as long as I don't keep the tapes long term. Of course, they don't define "long term" do they?

So how do I do this? Do I just go to BB and buy the cheapest DVD recorder that they have and follow the instructions for VCR transfer? The PVR is a Rogers box if that makes a difference.
Pretty much - you might need a fancy HDMI cable or something too - been a few years since I had to borrow a DVD-recorder though. I'm hoping someone else here can chime in...Rogers uses Scientific Atlanta boxes IIRC...c'mon guys, help FA out.

ForeverAutumn
06-12-2008, 06:08 PM
I went into BB tonight and they told me that all I needed to do was to hook the recorder up the to the PVR and then follow the steps that the manual gives for recording to a VCR. They suggested that I use an S-video cable for better quality and an HDMI cable if I'm transferring HD stuff. It's too late to try it tonight so I'll hook it up tomorrow. If I have any problems I'll be back.

Kex, thanks for your help. I can always count on you! :)

ForeverAutumn
06-14-2008, 07:44 PM
After a couple of failed attempts, I finally got the connections and settings right and recording from PVR to DVD works beautifully. What the DVD manual failed to tell me was that I had to choose whether I was using an RCA cable or an S-Video cable in the on-screen menu. I came across that setting purely by accident and once I picked the correct setting it worked like a charm.