Upgrade Speakers $1500 Budget with Onkyo 805 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Speakers $1500 Budget with Onkyo 805

DaBreeze4U
06-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Hello all.

This is my 1st post on the forum. I've been lurking here for some time and been impressed with the diverse knowledge provided by the posters.

I've just recently purchased the Onkyo 805 from Amazon at the ridiculous price of $550 bucks it was hard to ignore. I previously was running a Pioneer VSX-912 Receiver and it served me very well. Now though, my modest Fluance Speakers just don't cut it. Searching thru the many threads at here and other forums of folks who own the Onkyo 805 have left my head spinning.

I have not yet auditioned various speakers but noticed that the majority seem to enjoy B&W, Polks, and Paradigm setups with the Onkyo Receivers. Fortunately, the heat issue is not a problem with my receiver. What I would ask is that since I already own a pretty decent sub, I'd be curious to know what 5.0 speaker setup at the $1500 range would you recommend.

I use to listen to lot's of music, Prog Music mostly. Genesis, Yes, Floyd. But have varied taste too. Little Feat, Steely Dan,, Classic Rock Stuff. With age now. I find myself watching DVD'S and Sports more. I'd say 70-30 more towards the HT side. I Live in a Ranch style Home. My living room is quite small 19' X 14' with the ECenter and TV on the Front wall which is Drywall. Right side wall is mostly Bay Window with a Full Couch. Left Wall is KnottyPine with a Stone Fireplace and a Rocking Chair. My main viewing area is 15 feet straight on with the TV and Floorstandings sitting on a loveseat. Carpets throughout, Dining Room directly behind.

At the risk of being verbose, My Audyssey had set the Fronts at Full Band, Center at Full and Surround at 120HZ. Sub Yes. Distances are Fronts 14' Center 14.5,' Rt Surround 7', Left Surround 6' and Sub at 12.5 ft. I calibrated the settings manually to Front 50HZ, Center70HZ, Surrounds 60HZ with the LPF At 120HZ. Calibrated Sound Levels to Left -2db, Right-4db,center+3.5, Surr Rt.-1, Surr Lt-2.5, and Sub -5db. Best sound IMO I could get by ear with FLUANCE speakers.

I want more. Tighter Bass, better imaging, overall more in your face. As it stands now. Everything sounds familiar. No vast improvement with new Onkyo. Speakers are needed. $1500 for 5 speakers I know isn't probably enough to really push the Onkyo. But Hell, I can do this in steps if need be . Point me in the right direction !

Thanks...

GMichael
06-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Hi,
Welcome to AR. Great first post. Congrats on the new Onkyo. It was a fine deal.
If you've been lurking then you know that I'm more of the class clown around here, but I'll try to help anyhow.
Speakers are a very personnel choice. One man's perfect sound is another man's crap. Your best bet is to get out and hear as many speakers as you can. Take some CD's of your favorite music with you. If you can, try to bring some to your home so you can hear them in what will be their natural habitat.
Many here will suggest that you build up slowly. Maybe buying 2 front speakers with your present budget and then building around them a little at a time. This will get you a better system in the long run.

Here is where I bought my speakers. I enjoy them very much. http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=125&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37

Your tastes may be different than mine though. They do let you try them in your home for 30 days before you decide to keep them.
Oh, I like your choice of music.

basite
06-12-2008, 07:45 AM
I'd look at Monitor audio...

for fronts: RS6's,
center: RSLCR
rears RS1's.
They might be a bit over 1.5k, but they're definately worth the extra money. Without the rears, you will be under 1.5k, and you could use your current speakers as rears temporarily...

Otherwise, check out B&W's new 600 line
and Paradigm...

IMHO, the Monitor audio's are really worth their money, and even more...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

DaBreeze4U
06-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Appreciate the welcome GMichael. Totally agree that it's all a matter of taste. I just gotta getoff my arse and audition some of the different brands. Which series did you get at AV123 ? Your suggestion of a little at a time is probably how I'll go about the buy. Fronts 1st. I have a SVS PB10 Sub, so that should suffice. If I go the internet route, I like the 30 day trial period at AV123, Axiom, Asperion, etc....Basite, great setup you have there. Must be nice to be young ! Yea, I've thought about checking out Monitor Audio. Excellent Value and fine reviews. Have you heard the ones you mentioned ? Are they bright sounding or more like the B&W's that have a more even soundspace ? As far as Paradigm, I've been searching on Audiogon hoping to find some Studio 20 v.3 series Fronts but to no luck thus far. Anybody have a idea which current Paradigm series compares to the Studio 20v.3 ? A friend of mine has the B&W DM303 Speakers and I like the way they sound too. But, their old and hard to come by. Thanks for the input, welcome more ideas.

GMichael
06-12-2008, 08:31 AM
I have Mini Stratas in the piano rosewood finish. They make me a very happy camper. Take your time. Listen a lot before choosing.

basite
06-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Appreciate the welcome GMichael. Totally agree that it's all a matter of taste. I just gotta getoff my arse and audition some of the different brands. Which series did you get at AV123 ? Your suggestion of a little at a time is probably how I'll go about the buy. Fronts 1st. I have a SVS PB10 Sub, so that should suffice. If I go the internet route, I like the 30 day trial period at AV123, Axiom, Asperion, etc....Basite, great setup you have there. Must be nice to be young ! Yea, I've thought about checking out Monitor Audio. Excellent Value and fine reviews. Have you heard the ones you mentioned ? Are they bright sounding or more like the B&W's that have a more even soundspace ? As far as Paradigm, I've been searching on Audiogon hoping to find some Studio 20 v.3 series Fronts but to no luck thus far. Anybody have a idea which current Paradigm series compares to the Studio 20v.3 ? A friend of mine has the B&W DM303 Speakers and I like the way they sound too. But, their old and hard to come by. Thanks for the input, welcome more ideas.

Thanks, I enjoy it alot :)

I've heard almost every model from MA, and the same goes for B&W...

I'd define the RS series as neutral, with a smooth, slightly laid back (definately not overly though) mid and fast, detailed bass. B&W is slightly more forward (especially the new 600 series, compared to the previous one...), with a slighly more 'loose' bass. still tight though...

The MA's do have a really large soundstage, they can sound way bigger than they are, even bigger than the B&W's.
For what I heard, I found the MA's have a more open sound, with a deeper stage, while the B&W's were more upfront.

qua finish, the MA's win IMO, with their real high quality veneer, very complete package, and good looks overall...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

DaBreeze4U
06-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Very Nice looking Speaker GMike. Seems like we have very similar likes in music. My guess is you bought the Onix primarily for Music. How do they perform in a 5.1 HT vein ?

Did you ever hear the DVD Audio Yes " Fragile" Disc ? Really like the seperation on "America" most notably. Harmonies all over the surrounds and keyboards you never heard before. I'm a huge Steve Howe fan, If you like him check out his Remedy Live Dvd. It's very good sonically and also has some solo stuff on it. Also, I've found that the Beatles "Love CD and DVD Audio works great for critical listening.

Keep Rocking....

GMichael
06-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Very Nice looking Speaker GMike. Seems like we have very similar likes in music. My guess is you bought the Onix primarily for Music. How do they perform in a 5.1 HT vein ?

Did you ever hear the DVD Audio Yes " Fragile" Disc ? Really like the seperation on "America" most notably. Harmonies all over the surrounds and keyboards you never heard before. I'm a huge Steve Howe fan, If you like him check out his Remedy Live Dvd. It's very good sonically and also has some solo stuff on it. Also, I've found that the Beatles "Love CD and DVD Audio works great for critical listening.

Keep Rocking....

Thank you. They are the best looking pieces of furniture in our house. A very nice build quality. Yes, I did get them for music mostly, but they work great for HT also. They excel in the voice range, as well as acoustic guitar and piano. They don't make matching center or surrounds yet, but are in the planning stages. They seem to work well with my Infinity center and surrounds in the mean time. All in all, I am very happy with that purchase.

I haven't heard the Fragile DVD yet. What's it recorded in, DD or DTS? Thanks for the tips on Steve Howe recordings. I'll look into them.
Don't forget to post over in the "Rave Recording" section of this site. Seems like you could have some good input.

blackraven
06-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Get 4 Monitor Audio S2's on sale at www.saturdayaudio.com They are last years model on sale for $449pr with a retail of $750. The Monitor Audio's have excellent bass and a more foward sound which is the sound you appear to be looking for. I have the S1's and they have remarkable bass for a bookshelf, better than B&W 685's and Paradigm monitors. The S2's are larger than the S1's and have better bass.

Others to consider that have good bass are the NHT Classic 3's for about $650 9$850 retail) and a pair of the NHT Classic 2's or Super Zero's.

Or just buy a pair of B&W 684/683 floor standers and a center, and skip the rear channels till you have the money for the 686's. Floorstanders will give you better bass with a bigger sound and soundstage.

blackraven
06-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Just a couple more Idea's if you want to go with floor standers. Check out the PSB Image T-55 and T-65's for fronts and then the Image B-15's or Alpha B's for rear and the Image C40 or 60's for the center.

DaBreeze4U
06-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'm going to get out next week and listen to as many as possible. I'm really not in a hurry. So I'll probably check out HI-FI House in Willow Grove, Pa. I think it still exist. In the past, they have most of the brands mentioned. Monitor Audio may be hard to locate. I'm going to start out with fronts only in a 2.0 setting hopefully with the 805 Onkyo. Leaning towards the B&W's Floorstandings. From what I've read they pair well. My logic is that if you get the sound you want in the fronts with music, good chance they would also do well for HT. I've always had a good ear, even 2 when I was a tad younger.

I'm fairly certain in time I'll be able to report back my impressions of the various speakers. It's important that what I do purchase be aesteticly and sonically pleasing. Must keep the wife happy as well. I do want this upgrade to be my LAST. God, knows when the whole process is over, no doubt I'll exceed my Budget. Doesn't everyone !

Happy Father's Day, Pop's !

f0rge
06-13-2008, 10:20 AM
dont discount paradigm, they make nice speakers and you may be able to come in under budget too.

some mini or titan monitors, a center and some atom monitors for rear would make a pretty killer setup, probably for around $1000 depending on where you look. you may even be able to swing some towers in for your budget.

b&w are expensive, you'd probably have to go with 685 bookshelf mains and 686 rears with a center. not sure on pricing, but i think the towers go for almost a grand themselves.

but really you're just going to have to listen, make sure you bring your own cds and put some good listening time in, not just 2-3 songs.

thegreenline
06-20-2008, 10:52 PM
DaBreeze4U,

I went with AV123 the rocket series (750 signature) got them for a great price used, I really love the sound. I have a pretty good sub so I didn't need to get the bigger speakers. Try the 450's or the MTM's better yet give them a call they have always been really helpful.

thegreenline

DaBreeze4U
06-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks for all the very good choices. After tons of exhaustive searching thru the forums and reviews. I'm going to put all my efforts into saving some cash to buy NEW. Too many older models out there that frankly I won't be able to audition LIVE anyway.

As I said earlier, I'm not looking to upgrade speakers again. To that end, I've made a decision to purchase the Salk Song Tower QWT speakers. From what I've read, for 2G's, there's nothing better out there. I really like what Salk has to offer. There attention to detail is admirable. From the Custom woodworking, I really like the Santos Rosewood Veneer finish, to the Dennis Murphy crossovers, it's one fine speaker. Not a bad review to be found anywhere. I'm fairly certain, that my Onkyo 805 will have no problem driving them. If I do ever upgrade, I'll probably pick up a Emotiva or Parasound Amp down the road to kick it up a notch. I know I'm over budget, but, figure in the wife factor, the extra money will be justified. Now, can somebody advance me $500 bucks. Can you say Christmas in July.

Happy Listening.....

Hyfi
06-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'm going to get out next week and listen to as many as possible. I'm really not in a hurry. So I'll probably check out HI-FI House in Willow Grove, Pa. I think it still exist. In the past, they have most of the brands mentioned. Monitor Audio may be hard to locate. I'm going to start out with fronts only in a 2.0 setting hopefully with the 805 Onkyo. Leaning towards the B&W's Floorstandings. From what I've read they pair well. My logic is that if you get the sound you want in the fronts with music, good chance they would also do well for HT. I've always had a good ear, even 2 when I was a tad younger.

I'm fairly certain in time I'll be able to report back my impressions of the various speakers. It's important that what I do purchase be aesteticly and sonically pleasing. Must keep the wife happy as well. I do want this upgrade to be my LAST. God, knows when the whole process is over, no doubt I'll exceed my Budget. Doesn't everyone !

Happy Father's Day, Pop's !

Hey, you must be local to me. I used to go to the HiFi House but not sure if they are still there. Soundex closed up a year or so ago leaving two places local. One id WorldWide Stereo in Montgomeryville and the other is AudioLab in Levittown.

I'm a Dynaudio guy but you need to be sure to have enough balls to drive them. I recently picked up a pair of Audiance 42s for rears but hooked them up as mains via the Stratos and with my sub, you don't need any more. I still prefer my 82s as mains and picked them over comparable B&Ws and JMs. (I do have an older pair of Tantal 509s)

gebby44
07-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks for all the very good choices. After tons of exhaustive searching thru the forums and reviews. I'm going to put all my efforts into saving some cash to buy NEW. Too many older models out there that frankly I won't be able to audition LIVE anyway.

As I said earlier, I'm not looking to upgrade speakers again. To that end, I've made a decision to purchase the Salk Song Tower QWT speakers. From what I've read, for 2G's, there's nothing better out there. I really like what Salk has to offer. There attention to detail is admirable. From the Custom woodworking, I really like the Santos Rosewood Veneer finish, to the Dennis Murphy crossovers, it's one fine speaker. Not a bad review to be found anywhere. I'm fairly certain, that my Onkyo 805 will have no problem driving them. If I do ever upgrade, I'll probably pick up a Emotiva or Parasound Amp down the road to kick it up a notch. I know I'm over budget, but, figure in the wife factor, the extra money will be justified. Now, can somebody advance me $500 bucks. Can you say Christmas in July.

Happy Listening.....

I recently picked up an 805 and have Paradigm Studio 100 v.1's hooked up if you wanted to get an idea of what you're getting into. Shoot me a message if you're interested. I've been really happy with this setup so far. The 805 has really exceeded my expectations.

Jack in Wilmington
07-16-2008, 04:52 PM
We have some excellent HiFi shops in the Philly area. I've bought many things from HiFi House, but my favorite is Quest for Sound in Bensalem. It's right off I95 just north of the Street Road exit. Stop in and see Stephen and I'm sure he can find something that you will like.

For example you could get the following.

Fronts - Usher V-601 list for $700
Center - Usher V-603 list for $620
Surrounds - Usher S-520 list for $479

List price for the package is $1799

I'm sure Stephen could put that setup together for you for $1500 if not less.

At HiFi House they carry Paradigm, Def Tech, Sonus Faber, and maybe one other.

Quest for Sound carries probably a dozen brands of speakers.

I love shopping for new equipment, hope you do too.

willit65
07-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi I'm new to the forum but I do have an onkyo 805 as well. If your working on a 1500 dollar budget, the first place I would look would be the paradigm moniter series. I'm running all paradigm's w/ my 805 and it sounds great. Also about 2 weeks ago I was at the only high end audio store in my town. They sell paradigm primarily and I know a guy that works their personally. He said that anytime now, paradigm was coming out with an update to thier moniter series and they would be selling all of thier current inventory at 30% off. Might be worth looking into. What a great buy on that 805 though. 550!! Man I thought I got a good deal at 620 and mine is refurbished!!

drseid
07-21-2008, 08:27 AM

Happy Listening.....

Can't argue with your choice as Jim makes some great speakers and his woodworking skills are second to none...

The only caveat I should mention is that those are some revealing speakers, and may not be the best fit for your receiver powering them. You may need to spend a similar (or greater) sum in electronics to get the best out of the Salks.

As a alternate choice used that is more receiver friendly, you may want to see if anyone near you has Sonus Faber Grand Piano Homes (not the newer Domus line). These floorstanders go for about $1800/pr. used and I have heard them successfully powered by a Denon 3805 receiver. Pretty much they are very electronics friendly, but they also sound fabulous (and don't look too bad either).

Just a thought... good luck with the Salks if you stick with them... great speakers to be sure.

Happy listening,

---Dave

IMHOAudio
07-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Hey dude... we're ribbon FREAX around our office, so if you can haggle this down a bit, I think it woudl be an AWSOME set-up:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1221782617
I have a LOT of experience with Aurums and they are worth much more than thier price range... and these have INCREDIBLY beautiful cabs... I've seen a pair and they are fantastic!
Just I.M.H.O.!
-Jason