Playback Magazine's Review of Floorstanders under $2K [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Playback Magazine's Review of Floorstanders under $2K

Ajani
06-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Playback Magazine's Review of Floorstanders under $2K is finally out.

They did a shoot out of these 5 speakers:

Aperion 6T
Dynaudio Audience 72
Klipsch RF-63
Paradigm Reference Studio 60 V4
PSB G-Design GT1

Here's the link:

http://magazine.playbackmag.net/playback/200806/?folio=212

Most interesting of all in this shootout, is that they recommended the Aperion and the Klipsch!!!! Not the Dynaudio, Paradigm or PSB (The 3 'audiophile' brands)....

Feanor
06-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Playback Magazine's Review of Floorstanders under $2K is finally out.

They did a shoot out of these 5 speakers:

Aperion 6T
Dynaudio Audience 72
Klipsch RF-63
Paradigm Reference Studio 60 V4
PSB G-Design GT1

Here's the link:

http://magazine.playbackmag.net/playback/200806/?folio=212

Most interesting of all in this shootout, is that they recommended the Aperion and the Klipsch!!!! Not the Dynaudio, Paradigm or PSB (The 3 'audiophile' brands)....

I read it too and though, gee! do these guys have tin ears or what! But then I haven't actually heard any of the specific models.

Credit to Paradigm that, as mentioned in PB, their speakers are still made in North America. So far at least they have chosen to compete on the basis of shrewd design and manufacturing techique rather than taking the easy way and outsourcing to China.

RoadRunner6
06-11-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm in a hurry right now, I'll read the link to the shootout later.

One question, did they show photos of the speakers with the grills off and drivers exposed?

RR6 :devil:

Ajani
06-11-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm in a hurry right now, I'll read the link to the shootout later.

One question, did they show photos of the speakers with the grills off and drivers exposed?

RR6 :devil:

Yep... though they did note specifically for the Paradigm that they listened briefly with the grills off (sounded bright) and then put them on, as the manufacturer recommends.

Luvin Da Blues
06-11-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm have run my PSB GT-1's with my current amp and a Denon 2807 and would not describe them as "warm" with shallow dynamics. I guess it's all in the ear of the beholder.

Ajani
06-11-2008, 04:36 PM
I read it too and though, gee! do these guys have tin ears or what! But then I haven't actually heard any of the specific models.

The shootout was thought-provoking. Offhand, I'd most likely have dismissed Klipsch because of how poorly it tends to be regarded by audiophiles on sites like this one. Also, I'd probably ignore the Aperion, simply because I rarely ever see reviews of internet order products where they are compared to more reputable brands. I've heard tons of reviews with "sounds as good a product for twice the cost!" but such a statement is never backed up with the name of the more expensive product. On this shootout however, the Aperion was compared directly with reputable products almost 3 times as expensive...

Luvin Da Blues
06-11-2008, 04:41 PM
I wonder if he was listening to these speakers in the "Grotto" (sp?).

RGA
06-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Strangely the review does not surprise me in the least. Klipsch gets a bad rap because of where they're typically sold - always low end junk receivers in bad rooms with a wall of speakers surrounding it. They're much much better than they get credit for and their sensitivity and horn loading will usually be a trump card for impact and dynamics and being a horn they'll give up some off axis response and lose some imaging (which IMO is not nearly as important as everything else. I have been roundly unimpressed with every Paradigm speaker since the V2 series. And PSB is hit and miss depending on models. Have not heard this model so I can't say. I would take the Klipsch over the current Studio 100 and spend the $1k saved to put to something else - like music or a better amplifier.

The RF series standmount also has some solid sound - the big trick is to partner something that won;t make that treble leap out to much. Their sensitivity is not always matched well top to bottom so they give the impression of being bright. On the other hand when you listen to drum solo at louder levels you will get a better dynamic sense of cymbals which sound like they're there while the Paradigms sound like a speaker. Boxy, echoes, and a tad thumpy.

The Aperion I have not heard so I can't say

anamorphic96
06-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Strangely the review does not surprise me in the least. Klipsch gets a bad rap because of where they're typically sold - always low end junk receivers in bad rooms with a wall of speakers surrounding it. They're much much better than they get credit for and their sensitivity and horn loading will usually be a trump card for impact and dynamics and being a horn they'll give up some off axis response and lose some imaging (which IMO is not nearly as important as everything else. I have been roundly unimpressed with every Paradigm speaker since the V2 series. And PSB is hit and miss depending on models. Have not heard this model so I can't say. I would take the Klipsch over the current Studio 100 and spend the $1k saved to put to something else - like music or a better amplifier.

The RF series standmount also has some solid sound - the big trick is to partner something that won;t make that treble leap out to much. Their sensitivity is not always matched well top to bottom so they give the impression of being bright. On the other hand when you listen to drum solo at louder levels you will get a better dynamic sense of cymbals which sound like they're there while the Paradigms sound like a speaker. Boxy, echoes, and a tad thumpy.

The Aperion I have not heard so I can't say

Well said RGA. Klipsch does get a bad rap. As you stated they are usually poorly presented. When setup properly in a well treated room they can sound amazing. One thing most people don't realize is Klipsch speakers while very efficient, have big swings in there impedance and can dip all the way down to 2 and 3 ohms. This can be very demanding on a run of the mill receiver. Hence the reason they can sound harsh and irritating with a weak low end. However when hooked up to well made amps that can deliver large amounts of current they open up and sound great.

We install Klipsch in over 90% of our commercial theater installs and they sound down right scary in this setting. They are a significant step up compared to JBL when it comes to commercial theater sound. They also account for over 60% of all new commercial cinema installations.

f0rge
06-13-2008, 11:31 AM
i would have liked to see some B&W 684's or 683's thrown in there.

i was surprised the paradigm's did so poorly...

Feanor
06-13-2008, 03:47 PM
i would have liked to see some B&W 684's or 683's thrown in there.

i was surprised the paradigm's did so poorly...

It's worth noting that the Playback's top choices, the Klipsh and Amperion, both did very well on bass, dynamics, and "value". On the other hand Paradigm and Dynaudio both beat them on mid-range and beat the Klipsh and tied the Amperion on soundstage. The Paradigms were complimented on their detail and the Dynaudio on their refined highs.

So if your into schloch rock, maybe the Klipsh are for you. If you listen to classical or other accoustic stuff, maybe not so much.

Pat D
06-13-2008, 06:02 PM
It's worth noting that the Playback's top choices, the Klipsh and Amperion, both did very well on bass, dynamics, and "value". On the other hand Paradigm and Dynaudio both beat them on mid-range and beat the Klipsh and tied the Amperion on soundstage. The Paradigms were complimented on their detail and the Dynaudio on their refined highs.

So if your into schloch rock, maybe the Klipsh are for you. If you listen to classical or other accoustic stuff, maybe not so much.

Hey! What happened to your fancy letters??

I always say if the midrange isn't good, then you haven't got a good speaker. My assessment of the Playback reviews is much the same as yours.

I must say that I have heard some very good Klipsch speakers in the past, notably the Forte models, and some of the big ones aren't bad at all, though they have some flaws.

RGA
06-13-2008, 07:20 PM

The problem is that it's not that simple. A bright upper treble for example is downright annoying - a speaker that doesn't quite resolve everything in the midrange or is slightly veiled may be worse technically but far more livable. And no matter how good the midrange is dynamics are the lifeblood of music. And that is absolutely crippling for most of the speakers that I dislike. The Khorn has problems blah blah blah but dynamics are impressive and it's critical for the Classical. The speaker needs to pressurize a room.

My dealer carries Paradigm and if you listen to that versus some of the better speakers they carry on acoustic solo guitar or piano well set-up the Paradigm speakers foibles show up rather dramatically. You can talk all day about frequency response, box resonance, and distortion, all day long but it can't hide from Piano when the play button is pressed. And without exceptional dynamics the instrument just does not possess the body of that instrument. The Klipsch speakers may also be showing up more of the recording faults and because it excels at dynamics that means cymbals may be more "powerful" and mistaken for being off kilter in the midrange.

I'm not saying the Klipsch is perfect but some speakers like the 100V3 ain't better enough or at all in most aspects to warrant a more than doubling the price. I can forgive a lot if the speaker is has the toe tapping energy and speed down and the Klipsch in Canada are all under or around the $1k mark on sale. The $2700 Paradigm 100V3 doesn't really do anything "significantly" better and does a lot of things worse and doesn't have the toe tapping factor. They sound "blegh" and I want to pick up a book or play a video game - nothing they make makes me get involved. And what's worse is that the cheaper 100V2 was better. A company charging 30% more and making a worse line is not exactly a company I want to give my money to.

And this is not knocking other people's choices - you have to start somewhere - I used to rave about stuff that now I think "wow I can't believed I liked that or owned that."

nightflier
06-16-2008, 03:21 PM
For the record, I have a pair of Klipsch RB5-IIs that I couldn't find a fit for with any of my gear so they sat in the garage. Then I ended up with another piece of equipment that I didn't have a fit for, a B&K ref. 4420 amp that also ended up in the garage as well. Well, maybe springtime had a hand, but after longingly staring at each other across the tool-rack they finally mated and boy do they make beautiful music together. And considering that they need to compete with circular saws, drills, and the shop vac, they are singing right along. If there is one thing Klipsch speakers can do with aplomb, it is play loud and use every watt you throw at 'em, yes even with Khachaturian or Holst at the reigns. Long story short, Klipsch speakers are a lot more finicky than most people who are buying in their price-range are willing to bother with.

Getting back to the article, I realize that Parasound makes a fine mono amp and the preamp is commendable, but these still have their own character, which I would say is not exactly warm. I have never had them in my home, but that has been my impression hearing them in showrooms and at shows. Ironically, I would have guessed them to have been an excellent match for the Dynaudios, and I was rather surprised that the article said they lack the deep bass of larger speakers. 'Never heard that about Dynaudio, ever. And then the petty below-the-belt comment about the speaker lacking bi-amp capability... what does that matter to the shallow scope of this shoot-out?

As to the Aperion, I have auditioned it in my home, and frankly I cannot agree that it is a speaker comparable to the Dyns. When I tested it, it sounded ordinary and boring with a bright edge at the top. I got more mileage out of the bookshelves, because at least they did not try to be more than the little speakers they actually were. But the towers are little more than bookshelves in larger cabinets. And the one thing that should not be forgoten with Aperion is that their speakers are particularly picky about amps. I have heard very noticeable differences just by swapping out amps and they do have their impedance swings as well.

Honestly, I don't know what these reviewers were smokin' when they wrote the review. I can only guess that they should not have relied solely on one amp/pre/source combo. Had they used more, they would certainly have had more positive things to say about the Dyns, PSBs, and Paradigms (although I am not very familiar with the latter two).

Feanor
06-16-2008, 06:15 PM
The problem is that it's not that simple. A bright upper treble for example is downright annoying - a speaker that doesn't quite resolve everything in the midrange or is slightly veiled may be worse technically but far more livable. And no matter how good the midrange is dynamics are the lifeblood of music. And that is absolutely crippling for most of the speakers that I dislike. The Khorn has problems blah blah blah but dynamics are impressive and it's critical for the Classical. The speaker needs to pressurize a room.

The truth is out: RGA likes dynamics. Who'd have guessed? Anyway I suppose the Playback reviewers feel the same way. I guess I listen to too much chamber music but for me resolution, transparency, and air trump dynamics.

My original comment was only meant to suggest the need to read between the lines: if one's own particular priorities differ, one might come to a different weighting than the author.

RGA
06-16-2008, 07:44 PM
The truth is out: RGA likes dynamics. Who'd have guessed? Anyway I suppose the Playback reviewers feel the same way. I guess I listen to too much chamber music but for me resolution, transparency, and air trump dynamics.

My original comment was only meant to suggest the need to read between the lines: if one's own particular priorities differ, one might come to a different weighting than the author.

If you're not getting the dynamics then you're hardly getting transparency or resolution. And air is trickier so we'll leave that. Dynamics are in largely two parts - micro and macro - i usually discuss in terms of micro which involves resolution and transparency.

Frankly I like the speaker that does not draw my ear to what it is doing but to what the artists are doing. Soundhounds carries several speaker lines and really only one line allows you to do that on all genres, another line will allow you to do that on Chamber music and the paradigms never allow you to do it. It's really interesting because the 100V3 has audibly toxic box colouration - the AN E has measurably fcuked up box colouration but it goes unnoticed to the ear. I truly don't understand that. it sounds faster more open more top end more bottom end extremely quiet background. The 100V3 sounds shut in boxy colored thumpy, bright and sounds like a speaker.

If I had the money mate I'd pay for your flight hotel and food to listen to the two at Soundhounds. I'd bet on any music that within 5 minutes - and that is more than you'd need you'd come to the exact same conclusion that I and everyone else that ever listens to the two come to. But alas I'm on a teacher salary and they just don't pay those million dollar wages so darn it I just can't do it. Damn shoulder injury stopped me from being a million dollar major league pitcher (well that and a lack of talent).

And perhaps if you had dynamically savy speakers you might be more excited by music other than chamber. Worth a considerable second thought:16:

Feanor
06-17-2008, 02:36 AM
If you're not getting the dynamics then you're hardly getting transparency or resolution. And air is trickier so we'll leave that. Dynamics are in largely two parts - micro and macro - i usually discuss in terms of micro which involves resolution and transparency.

I had the money mate I'd pay for your flight hotel and food to listen to the two at Soundhounds. I'd bet on any music that within 5 minutes - and that is more than you'd need you'd come to the exact same conclusion that I and everyone else that ever listens to the two come to. ....

And perhaps if you had dynamically savy speakers you might be more excited by music other than chamber. Worth a considerable second thought

It sounds like Soundhounds is a great dealer and, thanks, if you were rich and could offer me the flight, I'd take you up on it, ('cause I'm not rich either, have <2 years from retirement, and still have two kids needing help with their schooling).

However the fact is that I know what transparency sounds. For that matter I know what dynamics sound like too. As for the Paradigms, there are none for which I'd trade my Magneplanars. Especially with dynamically-capable amps like my Monarchys, Maggies are capable of excellent microdynamics due to the nature of their light-weight diaphrams.

I might concede that you ANs are better for Trance if you would concede the Maggies are better for Chamber. But you're not strong on concession, (kinda like Sir Terrence).

BTW, to suggest the reason that I like chamber music is because my system isn't up to more "exciting" stuff would be offensive if it weren't so silly. Chamber music might not be everyone's bag but it doens't need to justified on any basis other than its essential music quality.

jrhymeammo
06-17-2008, 02:58 AM
Klipsch does get a bad rap. As you stated they are usually poorly presented. When setup properly in a well treated room they can sound amazing. One thing most people don't realize is Klipsch speakers while very efficient, have big swings in there impedance and can dip all the way down to 2 and 3 ohms. This can be very demanding on a run of the mill receiver.

Do you have a spec sheet of your statement? Would be curious to see where exactly they dip down.

There are some people who plays Klipsch Reference series with exotic SET tube amps. And find them to be exceptionally involving, regardless of price. Tube amps do not like impedence "swings", so some dinkty tube gears won't do justice, and same goes goes for SS gears.

I would choose great gears with inexpensive speakers over expensive speakers with cheap gears, anyday.

JRA

kexodusc
06-17-2008, 05:56 AM
Meh, what's a review? A summary of findings that a few people put on paper that reflects the weightings of the reviewer's personal preferences and listening habbits. Not necessarily your own. Fun to read though.

I find speaker reviews are the worst of any audio equipment simply because there's so much subjectivity involved. With components, there's usually less variance between what I read and what I hear. With speakers, it's all over the map.

I hope nobody relies on speaker reviews for much. Truth is, I know what most of your preferred speakers are and they do not impress me for the money the sell at. Consequently, your reviews wouldn't be helpful to me. Doesn't mean they're bad, it means they don't do what I want them to do. You'd probably feel the same about mine. My favorite commercial speakers remain Focus Audio and I don't think I've ever seen them mentioned by anyone else on this site.

RGA likes dynamics - if he's a heavy listener of classical music and not so much into heavy metal, I could see why. Someone into heavy metal might prefer more boom and sizzle at the expense of added dynamics since that benefit might not be fully realized with the buyer's listening habbits. For my part, imaging, soundstage, transient response, and timbre/accuracy are paramount. I'd gladly sacrifice a bit of dynamic headroom to improve these traits. I've found most speakers worth their salt do enough dynamically for me that any more is not noticed or appreciated, they're already faithfully reproducing an acceptable presentation of what I hear at live performances. I only notice dynamic deficiencies if I'm focused on looking for them, and then I'm not listening to the music. I'd rather a mellotron sound like a mellotron, a sax like a sax, an electric guitar ring through. Vocals be true. Why? Most of the music I listen to doesn't push beyond the dynamic capabilities of most speakers I would consider - so sacrificing these other traits makes the music sound extremely un-like what I hear when I go to live performances. That's what makes me tick. YMMV.

For the record, I've heard ALL of these speakers, and I tend to agree with this review. That's a first. Can't say any of these would be among my recommendations at this price though. I'll pick on the big 2 I see here.

The Paradigm's are not a great value anymore, don't image as well as their smaller counterparts, are basically towered Studio 40's. The price difference maybe isn't so bad if you factor stands. The Studio 100's though are atrocious for the money. (I still own a pair of Studio 40's in my garage, FTR)

I like Dynaudio - but spent some quality time with a friend's Audience 82's and found an internet speaker that cost half as much was its equal or 99% as good. I posted a thread with my impressions a few years ago on this site. The internet speakers looked better, too. Dynaudio's going to have to keep up price wise. They're a quality speaker though and I can say they cut fewer corners than a company like PSB or Paradigm from what I've seen.

My beef with a lot of the industry heavyweight brands is they've lost their value edge and, and rely on brand name to sell at a premium - that's a great, age old business model, but it's also the reason there's so many other brands people are raving about these days. But there's a certain level of comfort that comes with buying popular brand speakers I guess - a lot of mid-fi speaker shoppers don't have a lot of time to invest in the process and just want something decent, not necessarily the best possible.

Klipsch and PSB are both hit-or-miss products to these ears. When they get it right, they do it very well, but there's some models that just make you wonder why they even bother.

Aperion plays it fairly safe, but probably won't ever achieve a mass appeal.

Oh well. Thanks for the link. Always fun to throw my 2 cents out there.

Rich-n-Texas
06-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Woohoo! Great post Kex! :thumbsup: Elitist jerks beware! :lol:

I wonder how many advertising dollars Playbackmag gets from Klipsh!tz! :sosp:

kexodusc
06-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Woohoo! Great post Kex! :thumbsup: Elitist jerks beware! :lol:

I wonder how many advertising dollars Playbackmag gets from Klipsh!tz! :sosp:

Errr...uhh..thanks Rich. Umm,.that wasn't really the point I was trying to make...but yeah, gotta stick it to them elitist jerks.

I don't have any dislike for Klipsch, no more than other speakers I guess. I still love the KHorns for nostalgia if nothing else.

Rich-n-Texas
06-17-2008, 09:29 AM
I get carried away sometimes. :biggrin5:

RGA
06-17-2008, 05:00 PM
It sounds like Soundhounds is a great dealer and, thanks, if you were rich and could offer me the flight, I'd take you up on it, ('cause I'm not rich either, have <2 years from retirement, and still have two kids needing help with their schooling).

However the fact is that I know what transparency sounds. For that matter I know what dynamics sound like too. As for the Paradigms, there are none for which I'd trade my Magneplanars. Especially with dynamically-capable amps like my Monarchys, Maggies are capable of excellent microdynamics due to the nature of their light-weight diaphrams.

I might concede that you ANs are better for Trance if you would concede the Maggies are better for Chamber. But you're not strong on concession, (kinda like Sir Terrence).

BTW, to suggest the reason that I like chamber music is because my system isn't up to more "exciting" stuff would be offensive if it weren't so silly. Chamber music might not be everyone's bag but it doens't need to justified on any basis other than its essential music quality.

I'd make the concession but if I felt it was true. I'd make the concession that several other speakers have more impact deeper bass and can play louder.

Soundhounds now carries the 20.1, 3.6, 1.6. The 20.1 is something like $14,000. The AN E/LX HE is something like half. Now on acoustic guitar and solo male voice IMO there was absolutely no comparison. The salesman is telling a guy about break in - 400 hours and maybe they still need more - but I'm sorry there is just no way to hear it any differently or throw out the token "it's a subjective opinion" - it's just not. It's frankly a little embarrassing. They also carry the top Quads now. It truly is the best dealer by a mile that I have ever been to. They'll carry what they like and they'll carry what sells (generated by demand). light diaphrams need to move air. The Quad I liked a lot better and it's the same price. But the problem there is severe bass bottoming out before they even hit acceptably loud levels. If a two way two driver box can play loud with bass and reasonable impact then a $14k panel has to do it too.

Feanor
06-17-2008, 06:31 PM
I'd make the concession but if I felt it was true. I'd make the concession that several other speakers have more impact deeper bass and can play louder.

Soundhounds now carries the 20.1, 3.6, 1.6. The 20.1 is something like $14,000. The AN E/LX HE is something like half. Now on acoustic guitar and solo male voice IMO there was absolutely no comparison. ... They also carry the top Quads now. It truly is the best dealer by a mile that I have ever been to. They'll carry what they like and they'll carry what sells (generated by demand). light diaphrams need to move air. The Quad I liked a lot better and it's the same price. But the problem there is severe bass bottoming out before they even hit acceptably loud levels. If a two way two driver box can play loud with bass and reasonable impact then a $14k panel has to do it too.
You'll have to fly me out to Soundhounds to prove your assertions.

But it seems you still don't get it. "Loud" isn't my issue. My MG 1.6QRs play much louder than I need them to; (that wasn't true of the MMGs I once owned but they were a different matter). Your needs might be different, but the preferences of most Magneplanar and Quad owners could be a lot closer to mine.

Ajani
06-18-2008, 06:40 AM
Meh, what's a review? A summary of findings that a few people put on paper that reflects the weightings of the reviewer's personal preferences and listening habbits. Not necessarily your own. Fun to read though.

I find speaker reviews are the worst of any audio equipment simply because there's so much subjectivity involved. With components, there's usually less variance between what I read and what I hear. With speakers, it's all over the map.

I hope nobody relies on speaker reviews for much. Truth is, I know what most of your preferred speakers are and they do not impress me for the money the sell at. Consequently, your reviews wouldn't be helpful to me. Doesn't mean they're bad, it means they don't do what I want them to do. You'd probably feel the same about mine. My favorite commercial speakers remain Focus Audio and I don't think I've ever seen them mentioned by anyone else on this site.

RGA likes dynamics - if he's a heavy listener of classical music and not so much into heavy metal, I could see why. Someone into heavy metal might prefer more boom and sizzle at the expense of added dynamics since that benefit might not be fully realized with the buyer's listening habbits. For my part, imaging, soundstage, transient response, and timbre/accuracy are paramount. I'd gladly sacrifice a bit of dynamic headroom to improve these traits. I've found most speakers worth their salt do enough dynamically for me that any more is not noticed or appreciated, they're already faithfully reproducing an acceptable presentation of what I hear at live performances. I only notice dynamic deficiencies if I'm focused on looking for them, and then I'm not listening to the music. I'd rather a mellotron sound like a mellotron, a sax like a sax, an electric guitar ring through. Vocals be true. Why? Most of the music I listen to doesn't push beyond the dynamic capabilities of most speakers I would consider - so sacrificing these other traits makes the music sound extremely un-like what I hear when I go to live performances. That's what makes me tick. YMMV.

For the record, I've heard ALL of these speakers, and I tend to agree with this review. That's a first. Can't say any of these would be among my recommendations at this price though. I'll pick on the big 2 I see here.

The Paradigm's are not a great value anymore, don't image as well as their smaller counterparts, are basically towered Studio 40's. The price difference maybe isn't so bad if you factor stands. The Studio 100's though are atrocious for the money. (I still own a pair of Studio 40's in my garage, FTR)

I like Dynaudio - but spent some quality time with a friend's Audience 82's and found an internet speaker that cost half as much was its equal or 99% as good. I posted a thread with my impressions a few years ago on this site. The internet speakers looked better, too. Dynaudio's going to have to keep up price wise. They're a quality speaker though and I can say they cut fewer corners than a company like PSB or Paradigm from what I've seen.

My beef with a lot of the industry heavyweight brands is they've lost their value edge and, and rely on brand name to sell at a premium - that's a great, age old business model, but it's also the reason there's so many other brands people are raving about these days. But there's a certain level of comfort that comes with buying popular brand speakers I guess - a lot of mid-fi speaker shoppers don't have a lot of time to invest in the process and just want something decent, not necessarily the best possible.

Klipsch and PSB are both hit-or-miss products to these ears. When they get it right, they do it very well, but there's some models that just make you wonder why they even bother.

Aperion plays it fairly safe, but probably won't ever achieve a mass appeal.

Oh well. Thanks for the link. Always fun to throw my 2 cents out there.

Excellent post.

I think what the article really shows is not that Aperion or Klipsch are better than Paradigm, PSB and Dynaudio but that speaker preferences are totally subjective...

Speakers are designed/voiced to sound a particular way. Totally different design goals and priorities leads to very different sounding speakers. One brand focuses on dynamics and full range capabilities, while another focuses primarily on mid-range accuracy and clarity. Which one is better??? Depends on who you ask...

Some listeners are concerned with only one genre of music and pick the best speakers for that genre, others (like myself) have very wide tastes and need speakers that are essentially all rounders.

IMHO, reviews should be used as helpful guides in determining what products you really should audition before you make a final purchase decision. But You should NEVER buy a product just based on reviews (unless you are convinced that you and the reviewer have the same tastes in gear).