News from Outlaw Audio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : News from Outlaw Audio

nightflier
06-10-2008, 02:16 PM
"As many of you know, delays in the delivery of key DSP chips from Cirrus Logic have slowed development of products not only from the Outlaws, but also for many other companies as well. Because of this situation, we've changed the product road map for our newest flagship processor. We are now well along the path for a new surround processor that is based on dual Texas Instruments DSP chips, along with other key high-end components. We estimate shipments of this new processor to begin late this fall or in early winter.

By switching hardware platforms, we have given the new product the robust computing power required to include a revolutionary new technology. When it is available, we expect the Model 990's replacement to retail for at least $1,400, twice the new price for the Model 990."

They are obviously trying to blow out their 990's. Unfortunately, there's some bad news as well:

"Although we've been able to reduce prices on our processors, we've unfortunately had major cost increases from our factories on the RR2150 RetroReceiver and the Model 2200 Amplifier. Therefore, we want to give you some advance notice that effective July 1st, we will raise the price of the RR2150 by $50, to $699. The price of the Model 2200 Amplifier will be increased to $349. If you've been on the fence about either of these models, climb down now and place your order today!

As things heat up for another Red Hot Outlaw Summer, now is the time to take advantage of this great new pricing on processors or grab an RR2150 or Model 2200 before the prices go up. After all, no matter what the season, "The best values in home theater are just a mouse-click away"™."

kexodusc
06-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Wow. Odd that they've decided to switch processors so late in the game. I guess there's a point where you just have to give up on Cirrus though. A lot of big name receiver/processor companies are on the hook for that chip as well...
I need a new processor/receiver bad this fall - might have to buy a transitional piece for a year or two until this issue straightens itself out...

Rich-n-Texas
06-10-2008, 03:13 PM
"As many of you know, delays in the delivery of key DSP chips from Cirrus Logic have slowed development of products not only from the Outlaws, but also for many other companies as well. Because of this situation, we've changed the product road map for our newest flagship processor. We are now well along the path for a new surround processor that is based on dual Texas Instruments DSP chips, along with other key high-end components. We estimate shipments of this new processor to begin late this fall or in early winter.
Thank you thank you thank you. :biggrin5: I'm absolutely LOVING this!

By switching hardware platforms, we have given the new product the robust computing power required to include a revolutionary new technology. When it is available, we expect the Model 990's replacement to retail for at least $1,400, twice the new price for the Model 990."
TI IS the DSP technology leader. :yesnod:

They are obviously trying to blow out their 990's. Unfortunately, there's some bad news as well:

"Although we've been able to reduce prices on our processors, we've unfortunately had major cost increases from our factories on the RR2150 RetroReceiver and the Model 2200 Amplifier. Therefore, we want to give you some advance notice that effective July 1st, we will raise the price of the RR2150 by $50, to $699. The price of the Model 2200 Amplifier will be increased to $349. If you've been on the fence about either of these models, climb down now and place your order today!

As things heat up for another Red Hot Outlaw Summer, now is the time to take advantage of this great new pricing on processors or grab an RR2150 or Model 2200 before the prices go up. After all, no matter what the season, "The best values in home theater are just a mouse-click away"™."
Those of us who've purchased Emotiva amps have another reason to feel good about it. :thumbsup:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Thank you thank you thank you. :biggrin5: I'm absolutely LOVING this!

TI IS the DSP technology leader. :yesnod:

Those of us who've purchased Emotiva amps have another reason to feel good about it. :thumbsup:

Ahhhhhhhhhh get that happy chip off of your shoulder Rich guy!!!

pixelthis
06-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Wow. Odd that they've decided to switch processors so late in the game. I guess there's a point where you just have to give up on Cirrus though. A lot of big name receiver/processor companies are on the hook for that chip as well...
I need a new processor/receiver bad this fall - might have to buy a transitional piece for a year or two until this issue straightens itself out...

I read on a forum, either at sound and vision or audio advisor, about the new onkyo/Integra
pre-pro.
There were pics, the innards look really great.
THE Onkyo version is 1499 or so.
Outlaw had better be good to beat this one.
As for the old model, it is out of date, they got ripped by getting stuck with DVI
plugs, even tho you can use an adapter cable for them.
As a matter of fact my DVD player has DVI, as does one of my cable boxes.
Wonder how cheap it will get....:1:

kexodusc
06-11-2008, 03:52 AM
I read on a forum, either at sound and vision or audio advisor, about the new onkyo/Integra
pre-pro.
There were pics, the innards look really great.
THE Onkyo version is 1499 or so.
Outlaw had better be good to beat this one.
As for the old model, it is out of date, they got ripped by getting stuck with DVI
plugs, even tho you can use an adapter cable for them.
As a matter of fact my DVD player has DVI, as does one of my cable boxes.
Wonder how cheap it will get....:1:
I was somewhat disappointed with the Integra 9.8. It's pretty popular right now because it's the only processor (only one I know at least) that offers all the latest codecs etc.

It didn't sound bad to me, but it didn't sound better as a processor than I find in most $1000-$2000 K receivers with similar processing capability. And for the price, IMO that makes it a bad value unless you absolutely need all the doodads and widgits that go with it - in which case it's a decent value.

Wasn't a terrible processor all in all, but I've come to expect more from Integra in 2-channel performance, this unit is full of input/output options and video gizmo heavy - both in excess of what I'll ever need. Analog to HDMI processing isn't cheap to provide and isn't something I want.

On the TI chip - the Integra had a really bad habbit of taking its time switching audio/ video sources. Nothing major, but I dunno why it was slow. The guy in the store also made a point to mention it is incapable of applying post processing to higher resolution digital formats above 96k. At first I thought that wasn't important but it might be more prevalent with BluRay hi-rez tracks? Outlaw would have similar challenges to overcome.

It's a bit cheaper at least, but at this price I can buy a receiver as a pre/pro and keep a dedicated 2-channel system for my discriminating audio needs and be better off, IMO.

There's just nothing out there right now wowing me :(

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-11-2008, 12:41 PM
It's a bit cheaper at least, but at this price I can buy a receiver as a pre/pro and keep a dedicated 2-channel system for my discriminating audio needs and be better off, IMO.

There's just nothing out there right now wowing me :(

Kex,
I love my new Onkyo pre-pro the PR-SC885 preamp. Its a great piece of equipment. I know there have been some report of a popping noise when playing certain disc and streaming. I have never heard that problem with my players and pre-pro.

nightflier
06-11-2008, 01:38 PM
So when is that Emotiva pre/pro due out, will it use the TI chip, and perhaps most importantly, what will it cost? There's a lot of speculation here & there about it, but it's all over the place. Anyone know?

kexodusc
06-11-2008, 04:30 PM
So when is that Emotiva pre/pro due out, will it use the TI chip, and perhaps most importantly, what will it cost? There's a lot of speculation here & there about it, but it's all over the place. Anyone know?
There's 2 Emotiva models coming out, 1 will be the same time all the other processors arrive. The Cirrus chips are finally in production now after much delay and end of summer/early fall is a realistic time, some companies are hoping for sooner. The 2nd Emotiva unit will be a few months later.

Of course, if Cirrus delays shipments, everyone's in the same boat.

The few other forums I've visited suggest Outlaw must have made the decision to switch chips some time ago, because their turnaround time is quite fast. I've heard they're still using the Cirrus chip in their other processor unit too.

At least it looks like 2008 won't be a total write off. Should work out for all camps in the end. I'd rather Cirrus get these chips right than a whole bunch of companies have problems similar to the Integra bugs that the 9.8 had early (and have mostly resolved with updates, kudos to them). Receivers/processors are getting more and more quirky it seems.