I want to make front ports for my Paradigm 9 se [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I want to make front ports for my Paradigm 9 se

csari0
06-10-2008, 12:01 AM
I would like to know if it's wise to make front ports for my Paradigm 9se, not the MKII.

They are rear ported, but are against the wall, which limits the air flow, I don't have that much room to leave 12" between them and the wall.

So I was wondering if any one here would know if this is a smart idea. I don't really care much about the bass, but I do care about the clarity.

Would side porting them be an alternative?

any help is greatly appreciated.

budgetaudio76
06-10-2008, 08:36 PM
have you tried plugging the ports?

a cheap solution i found for this is to use some polyfil (alot of it) make sure you scrunch it up pretty good so you have a snug fit in there. or you can buy some port plugs. not sure where though.

basite
06-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Don't port them yourself.

plug the port, as budgetaudio suggested. There's more egineering behind a port design than 'just making a hole'. The speakers were designed to be rear ported, so either leave it at that and remove them from the wall, or plug the port.

but don't just make a new port.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

f0rge
06-11-2008, 10:40 AM
you could try heading down to home depot and grabbing a PVC elbow to turn the ports left/right.

for the cost of the elbow it might be worth a shot.

GMichael
06-11-2008, 10:44 AM
you could try heading down to home depot and grabbing a PVC elbow to turn the ports left/right.

for the cost of the elbow it might be worth a shot.

Not a bad thought. But it will change the frequency that the ports are tuned to. It will tune them lower.
Might still be better than plugging them though.