hello [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : hello

Van Occupanther
06-09-2008, 09:40 PM
i'm knew

Slosh
06-09-2008, 11:27 PM
i'm knew. . . . to the English language?

ForeverAutumn
06-10-2008, 05:10 AM
i'm knew

Are you a Midlake fan?

GMichael
06-10-2008, 05:49 AM
i'm knew

Welcome to the RR section of AR.
Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? What kind of music do you like?

Mr MidFi
06-10-2008, 07:13 AM
i'm knew

I new that already!

Slosh
06-10-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm known.

Finch Platte
06-10-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm known.

I'm no Kennedy.

GMichael
06-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm no Kennedy.

You're Bill Clinton?

Van Occupanther
06-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Are you a Midlake fan?

Did you ever want to be overrun by bandits
To hand over all of your things and start over new
While we were out hunting for food
Our house was being robbed
I caught an apple and she caught a fox
So I caught a rabbit and she caught an ox
So upon our return we found everything gone
Which for us was no loss
And we started over with a rabbit and an ox

Yes. Are you?

Van Occupanther
06-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the RR section of AR.
What kind of music do you like?

Everything

bobsticks
06-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Do you like green eggs and ham?
Do you like green eggs and spam?

Would you eat ham with hash?
Would you shove spam upya...oh nevermind...

GMichael
06-11-2008, 04:56 AM
Why am I getting such a creepy vibe?:eek6:

ForeverAutumn
06-11-2008, 05:08 AM
Which for us was no loss

Yes. Are you?

I don't really know their music, but I recognized your moniker from their album title.

Van Occupanther
06-11-2008, 06:05 AM
Why am I getting such a creepy vibe?:eek6:

What are you sitting on?

GMichael
06-11-2008, 06:06 AM
What are you sitting on?

My a$$.

Why do you ask?

Van Occupanther
06-11-2008, 06:27 AM
My a$$.

Why do you ask?

Just ruling out known causes of vibrations

Does this help?

GMichael
06-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Just ruling out known causes of vibrations

Does this help?

Vibrations? Who said anything about vibrations?:frown2:
The creepy quotient is on the rise.:eek6:

Mike
06-11-2008, 06:49 AM
Which for us was no loss

Yes. Are you?

Milake released one of the best albums of the year in 2006, anybody brought up on early to mid seventies FM (is that a dirty word) rock will love the album. A new release is due this year apparently, but we'll see.

Cheers
Mike

Van Occupanther
06-11-2008, 06:55 AM
Vibrations? Who said anything about vibrations?:frown2:
The creepy quotient is on the rise.:eek6:

You said you were getting a " creepy vibe". I thought maybe you were expressing surprise by this sensation, but perhaps it was merely informational. Sorry if I assumed you wanted assistance.

Perhaps you'd like, Tindersticks new album, The Hungry Saw.

GMichael
06-11-2008, 07:03 AM
You said you were getting a " creepy vibe". I thought maybe you were expressing surprise by this sensation, but perhaps it was merely informational. Sorry if I assumed you wanted assistance.

Perhaps you'd like, Tindersticks new album, The Hungry Saw.

I'll pass. But thanks for trying to be helpfull.

Van Occupanther
06-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Milake released one of the best albums of the year in 2006, anybody brought up on early to mid seventies FM (is that a dirty word) rock will love the album. A new release is due this year apparently, but we'll see.

Cheers
Mike

Do you have any of their earlier albums?

Yes, there is definitely a mid-seventies AOR "vibe" to their music. i liken them to early Fleetwood Mac, specifically the Bob Welch era, which i prefer, before Lindsey Buckingham spoiled things.

ForeverAutumn
06-11-2008, 07:17 AM

Cheers
Mike

Hey Mike, good to see you around here. Now that you're saying that, I'm vaguely recalling that I have heard them...possibly the reason that the name Van Occupanther sounded so familiar. I'll have to investigate. Cheers!

noddin0ff
06-11-2008, 07:18 AM
I like gnus

ForeverAutumn
06-11-2008, 07:18 AM

LOL. Welcome Van O. :biggrin5:

Mike
06-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Do you have any of their earlier albums?

Yes, there is definitely a mid-seventies AOR "vibe" to their music. i liken them to early Fleetwood Mac, specifically the Bob Welch era, which i prefer, before Lindsey Buckingham spoiled things.

No just that one, I've heard some samples of Bamnan and Silvercork and it was on my wishlist for a while but kind of dropped of. A lot of people liken them to Grandaddy (I'm a big fan) and Flaming Lips (who I'm ok with) now I can hear the similarities on Bamnan but on Van Occupanther they have a different sound again which is more to my taste.

I'm assuming you have some other stuff by them, what's your take on their earlier work?

Cheers
Mike

Van Occupanther
06-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I would say that they were more in line with other 'indy' sounding bands of the day. It was the same organic sound, only with more fuzzy production, like The National, only without the faux Nick Cave vocals.

Grandaddy's Sumday album or early Guster are good comparisons, only folkier.

Midlake doesn't make samey albums.

Van Occupanther
06-11-2008, 08:35 AM
What do you think of The Black Keys?

Mike
06-11-2008, 09:20 AM
What do you think of The Black Keys?

Got a couple of their earlier albums and keep toying with the idea of picking up the latest which has more of a polished sound judging by reviews, no doubt the input of Danger Mouse. It's been out a while now so might be the right time to pick it up cheap. The appeal to me is that raw rough bluesy feel with great vocals and they make a fantastic sound for a duo, they remind me a bit of North Mississippi Allstars who I also like.

Good call on Guster, another favourite, just straightforward well produced good music with great production.

Cheers
Mike

Slosh
06-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Got me the new Earlimart advance called Hymn And Her. Kind of a Grandaddy meets Elliott Smith type sound. Just starting my first spin now :)

bobsticks
06-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Do you like green eggs and ham?
Do you like green eggs and spam?

Would you eat ham with hash?
Would you shove spam upya...oh nevermind...

Whoops, looks like I called that putt a bit early. Sorry VanO but the recent spate of one word spam posts had me in attack mode, you just must be shy. Welcome to the forum.

bobsticks
06-11-2008, 06:47 PM
I like gnus

They're the g-nicest work of g-nature in the zoo.

I like Grandaddy and the Fambly Cat.

jasn
06-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Whoops, looks like I called that putt a bit early. Sorry VanO but the recent spate of one word spam posts had me in attack mode, you just must be shy. Welcome to the forum.

I was scratching my head over that post bob, I must admit.

I need to go back and revisit Grandaddy, they've gotten by me (so far).

Welcome to the forum Van.

3-LockBox
06-16-2008, 11:45 PM

Lindsay Buckingham spoiled things?!?!?

You mean...saved things. If not a Lindsay Buckingham, then it woulda been someone that was like him, because it was the direction Mick wanted to go after Welch's departure. FM wasn't going to sound like Bare Trees ever again anyway, and Buckingham was definitely no slouch. FM might not have made it out of the '70s if not for Mr. Buckingham. FWIW, I do like Welch era FM.

jasn
06-17-2008, 08:09 AM
I probably should't post this, but Van Occupanther also reminds me of the Dan Folgelberg/Tim Weisberg release Twins Sons from Different Mothers", and I mean that as a good thing.

Van Occupanther
06-17-2008, 01:14 PM
You mean...saved things. If not a Lindsay Buckingham, then it woulda been someone that was like him, because it was the direction Mick wanted to go after Welch's departure. FM wasn't going to sound like Bare Trees ever again anyway, and Buckingham was definitely no slouch. FM might not have made it out of the '70s if not for Mr. Buckingham. FWIW, I do like Welch era FM.

He became a prima donna, very difficult to work with and he took the group over. If you have ever seen one of the documentaries, then you have seen how difficult he was. Plus I do not care for his style very much. He needed them as much or more than he thought they needed him. Just look at his solo stuff. Very sketchy. His early stuff sounded like coke-addled ADD and his new stuff is OK, but very simple. Simple is good sometimes. But I never understood why he gets to be a genius compared to other performers that are not called geniuses. He is a good guitarist.

Van Occupanther
06-17-2008, 01:21 PM
I probably should't post this, but Van Occupanther also reminds me of the Dan Folgelberg/Tim Weisberg release Twins Sons from Different Mothers", and I mean that as a good thing.

Why should you not post a comment about music? Will you be scolded?

I will check out this album if I can. Thank you for the recommendation. I never considered Dan Fogelberg in this regard.

jasn
06-18-2008, 04:40 AM
Why should you not post a comment about music? Will you be scolded?
Oh...you are new here, aren't you :)

To be more specific, the tracks I'm saying compliment each other are Midlake's Head Home and DF's Tell Me to My Face. Both share a very similar, jazzy and electric pace.

DarrenH
07-03-2008, 06:30 PM
The Trials Of Van Occupanther by Midlake

:thumbsup:

I like this album. Very much so.

Cheers

jonnyhambone
07-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Buckingham's contributions made Tusk one of the greatest of the 70's albums that still sits in frequent rotation for me.
I've been spinning the new Shearwater, 'Rooks' lately...like many others here, I'm really diggin' it. Obviously the Talk Talk sound is explored and it touches on some Angels of Light (has Thor and some other Angels in the band I think)...but I keep hearing a lot of Midlake in there too - a lot. Anyways, if you dig Van Occupanther, duh - you do, check it out.

btw, the vinyl sounds great! Very quiet and dynamic...listened to Rooks in the car for the first few listens and was a little dissappointed (LP came with a mp3 download). Being able to sit on the couch with the volume kicked up, TT spinning, and a cold one in hand and I've been convinced this is an incredible album.

Van Occupanther
07-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I will look into this Shearwater, as I am always on the lookout for great music. I have seen Palo Santo in the store the other day, so I think I will go back and buy it.

Thank you.

3-LockBox
07-09-2008, 02:52 PM
I've heard the Palo Santo album, and I can certainly see the similarity twix them and Midlake, but Midlake's lyrics are more of the whistful vein, while Shearwater is more of the Jeff Buckly vein, i.e. intentionally depressing about heartache and disappointment. Vocally, they do sound like Talk Talk at times. But Jeff Buckley seems to be the main influence here stylistically, only without the knack for writing coffee house, Cohen-esque material.