The Ten Most Annoying Singers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Ten Most Annoying Singers

ForeverAutumn
06-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Who would be on your list?

The Ten Most Annoying Singers
by Rob O'Connor in List Of The Day

It's stunning to learn that others don't share our tastes. Then again, how did an entire generation embrace faux wood paneling, shag carpets and putting thick plastic on their furniture? Well, someone thought it was a great idea!

Hey, I like Bob Dylan's voice and kept him off this list because I could! Instead, I found the ten singers most likely to make you drive off the road.

Now that's a terrible fate. Not only are you stranded in some ditch, but you're stuck listening to one of these ten singers, who it would seem are singing that way just to mock you. Oh, the injustice.

10) Celine Dion: I know there are millions of people who would beg to disagree, but let's get real, people. She sings 15 notes where one would suffice and turns every song into an anthem for self-empowerment. It's like getting an hour of Oprah condensed into four minutes. She sings. It's time to start the lawnmower.

9) John Mayer: Young people are impressionable. I'm not sure where John Mayer learned his vocal craft. I hesitate to call it singing. It's more like whimpering. And for some reason, this has become a trend not stopping anytime soon. As you'll sadly learn as we go further down this list.

8) Conor Oberst: As the wunderkind who leads Bright Eyes, Conor Oberst was given a certain amount of leeway since he was a young teen when he started out and his precious singing--so sensitive and intimate you could hear the post-nasal drip--was mistaken as precocious. Well, he's in his 20s now and he still sounds like he's swimming back to the womb for protection from this hard, harsh world. Come on buddy, stand up straight and stop trying to imitate the Cure's Robert Smith. He got there first. And even he must know he sounds a little silly.

7) Lily Allen: Contrary to this column, I want to like fresh, young talent. I want to hear singers bring true commitment to their material. The first time I heard Lily Allen I thought it was quaint. Then it seemed every young female singer was determined to sing just like her, as if they're running out of air in their lungs and have to get back to the respirator before the next verse begins. Sure, she's bouncy and spunky. But if I might quote what Lou Grant once told Mary Tyler Moore: I HATE SPUNK.

6) Devendra Banhart / Tiny Tim: I'm not convinced they're not the same person. Tiny Tim was a novelty item singing with that stupid ukulele something about tiptoeing through the tulips. Anyone with any half sense would know it was novelty item that shouldn't be used as the basis for an entire recording career. And for thirty years, it wasn't, until freaky-folk dude Devendra Banhart showed up and started warbling in that unlistenable, untrained vibrato the kind of nonsensical lyrics that didn't sound all that great back when people were taking the kinds of drugs you're supposed to be on in order to enjoy it.

5) James Blunt: All this talk in the media about whether or not waterboarding is torture is moot. Forcing anyone to listen to "Beautiful" on repeat constitutes torture. You want my darkest, deepest secrets? This guy's quivering voice gets you my social security number, my mother's maiden name, my personal PIN and any random government secrets I'm currently harboring.

4) Frankie Valli: Frankie Valli was a hero to some back in his day. I grant you this. He was consistent! He consistently sang in a voice designed to send dogs running for cover and perfect for breaking glass. "Rag Doll, " "Sherry," "Dawn," "Big Girls Don't Cry," the list is enormous. He very well could be tried as a war criminal. Who would object? Seriously? Who?

3) Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins): Yes, despite all his rage he's still just a rat in a cage. Unfortunately, that cage came with a microphone for him to transmit his Smashing Pumpkins hits to a helpless, hapless world at large. While Billy could orchestrate grand walls of guitar and write albums of endless tuneage, he insisted on singing it himself. Except this is not singing in any conventional sense, but rather the sound of a petulant, whiny child. This is what happens when parents don't tell their kids to shut up often enough. Children need to know you don't like them.

2) Scott Stapp (Creed): We could probably start laying the blame on Bono, Eddie Vedder, Jim Morrison and that guy from Blood, Sweat and Tears, but in the end it's Scott Stapp who epitomizes that macho bellow that sounds like a man who's gone overboard at the All-You-Can-Eat Buffet and has just received spiritual orders to let everyone know they're going to hell if they don't save themselves somehow. His spiritual torment becomes your problem. Thanks, pal.

1) Michael Bolton: OK, this was easy. C'mon, you knew Mr. Bolton would top the list. Who else can take a love song and turn it into a hernia? When a man loves a woman he doesn't do so by screaming in her ear--so why should it be acceptable for a man to sing a sensitive love song as if he's directing traffic for the hearing impaired? R&B classics deserve their place in musical history and should be protected from this man's desecration of all that is holy. It's only right. Let's make it a law.

JohnMichael
06-09-2008, 07:33 PM
1. Feist and it seems like every time I would shop in Kohl's she was playing overhead.

2. Rod Stewart when singing the great standards. Loved Maggie May and his early music.

3. Josh Groban and I do not understand the attraction. I watched a PBS special and the crowd was mesmerized.

4. Barry Manilow again I just do not get the popularity.

There will be more.

bobsticks
06-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Props for Manilow and Celine Dion...actually the whole list is pretty spot-on. I'd add Neil Diamond, Jim Croce, the idiot from Iron Butterfly, James Taylor's enunciation annoys me...I could probably go on and on.

How's about this inbreeder?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/my4lhkxLRjg&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/my4lhkxLRjg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If given the chance, I'd punch Chester from Linkin Park. Seriously.

Hyfi
06-10-2008, 04:34 AM
Bruce would have to be at the top of my list.

Out of most of today's "Rock" bands, I think the guy from Creed actually sings nice on a lot of songs compared to most other groups.

Can't stand the whacko from Chilli Peppers. Can't figure out why everyone likes them so much. 8 out of every 10 of their songs sounds just like the last one. Same stop start tempo, same bridge, same boring content.

Plenty others to challenge the "Official" list.

Luvin Da Blues
06-10-2008, 04:57 AM
Plenty others to challenge the "Official" list.

Like John Popper from Blues Traveller, Geddy Lee after 'bout ten minutes (sorry FA) and of course Shania Twain (after 'bout ten seconds).

ForeverAutumn
06-10-2008, 05:18 AM
Geddy Lee after 'bout ten minutes (sorry FA)

Blasphemer! Actually, I completely understand why people don't like Geddy's voice.

My list would be topped by Alanis Morissette. It's like nails on a blackboard everytime she opens her mouth.

Neil Young is another one on my list. Great song writer, but can't stand his singing.

That Rhianna chick. Nice looking girl, but please just shut up and go into modelling or something.

I'm sure that I'll come up with a few more.

GMichael
06-10-2008, 05:42 AM
Another vote for Bruce here. I never got his appeal.
Add Bono to the list as well as Chrissie Hynde. I'd rather have needles poked in my ears.

Troy
06-10-2008, 07:04 AM
Bob Dylan is worse than anybody in that list. He may have left him off "because he can", but by leaving him off he loses credibility.

Mr MidFi
06-10-2008, 07:18 AM
Some "unconventional" voices I dig (including Dylan and Geddy Lee, btw). And some...I just don't. I'm sorry to say that the guy from Modest Mouse falls into the latter category for me.

NP: Band of Horses, "Ode to LRC"

Smokey
06-10-2008, 01:33 PM
I'd add Neil Diamond.

What!! :yikes:

IMO he is one of better singers that came out of pop/rock era. His earlier work such as "Solitary Man" or "Song Sung Blue" showcase his vocal talent.

But definitely agree on Celin Dion. That girl try to make opera out of every song.

nightflier
06-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Annoying? Oh you guys are only scratching the surface. Here's a real winner: Philip Michael Thomas, aka "Tubs." When he cut his first (and only?) single, even Eddie Murphy sounded good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv2iLzhS-Sg

Swish
06-10-2008, 03:39 PM
...one in the same person. Whitney destroyed a nice little love song that was written and recorded quite quite perfectly by Dolly Parton. Yes, I'm talking about 'I Will Always Love You'. I still get migraines from Whitney's 'luv-a- YOU, luv-a- YOU'. Write your own damn songs and sing them how you want, but leave Dolly et. al. alone. Beeyotch!

Swish - can't stand her sorry arse.

emesbee
06-13-2008, 06:23 AM
I can't stand Jimmy Barnes. I don't know if he is very well known in the US, but he's a bit of a local icon here in Australia. Personally I can't stand the way he sings. He just belts everything out at full volume, and its dreadful. It only takes the first few bars of 'working class man' on the radio to have me changing stations.

I also can't stand Nick Cave. That man can't sing for peanuts. His songs aren't much cop, either. Just a load of self-important pseudo-intellectual claptrap.

Somebody here mentioned John Mayer. I sort of agree that his singing doesn't amount to much, but he's not a bad guitarist. Saw him playing on the Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD, and he was quite good (as a guitarist).

One of my pet hates are singers who resort to excessive warbling. Their voices go up and down the scales constantly, and its so tedious. Why can't people sing a note straight any more? I think Mary J Blige (Bilge?) is a typical culprit. Maybe that's one reason why I like Irish traditional music. Good Irish singers know how to hold a note straight and keep it simple (and I don't mean Sinnead O'Conner).

ForeverAutumn
06-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Welcome emesbee.

I agree with your comment about excessive warbling. Some people feel the need to practice their vocal exercises in the middle of a song and it is very annoying. I don't really listen to the types of singers who do it in their music, mostly because those singers and that music doesn't appeal to me. But my husband and I go to a lot of live sports events and it absolutely drives me crazy when the person singing the national anthems feels the need to embellish and show off their "talent".

kexodusc
06-13-2008, 06:42 AM
Patti Smith and Jack White are near the top of the list for me.

Oh, and Sammy Hagar of course.

emesbee
06-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Yeah, the same thing happens here. Our national anthem is dreary enough as it is, and the embellishments added by these singers do nothing to improve it. 'Advance Australia Fair'? Nobody in this country identifies with that song, and none of us can remember the words. The only song that Australians do identify with, and which the rest of the world associates with Australia is 'Waltzing Matilda'.
:16:

(That's the jazz version!)

bobsticks
06-13-2008, 06:50 AM
Staind!!! The nose, er guy, from Staind. God, Staind sucks. I'd rather pee in a shoe and drink it that listen to a Staind disc...uggh.

Just suck.

Completely.

Hate 'em.

http://www.stereotimes.com/images/hartman.jpg

kexodusc
06-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Staind!!! The nose, er guy, from Staind. God, Staind sucks. I'd rather pee in a shoe and drink it that listen to a Staind disc...uggh.

Just suck.

Completely.

Hate 'em.

Hey Bobby Styxx...
...It's been awhiiille..
Yeah, that's a good pick. Talent discovered by Fred Durst. Nuff said. The voice wasn't their worst attribute though, they always tuned their instrument so low their songs sounded like the noise an elephant might make during digestion.

When I think of the abomination that was Nu Metal...I think Staind. Should have called themselves Skid Markd instead...bleech

Hyfi
06-13-2008, 07:50 AM
What about that Crooner from AC-DC? Makes what little hair I have stand up.

jasn
06-13-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm going to add Axl Rose and hope at least one person agrees with me.

ForeverAutumn
06-13-2008, 09:06 AM

Just suck.

Completely.

Hate 'em.

Good call. I once saw them live when they opened for Nickelback and they were boring to watch too. The highlight of that whole show actually was the band who opened for Staind...Three Days Grace. They rocked!

bobsticks
06-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Hey Bobby Styxx...
...It's been awhiiille..

Bastarde!

When I think of the abomination that was Nu Metal...I think Staind. Should have called themselves Skid Markd instead...bleech

True talk, sho 'nuff.

bobsticks
06-13-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm going to add Axl Rose and hope at least one person agrees with me.

To these ears Axl sounds like Ethel Merman on crack...Welcome to the Danny Booyyyy!!!

kexodusc
06-14-2008, 04:44 AM
To these ears Axl sounds like Ethel Merman on crack...Welcome to the Danny Booyyyy!!!
I always thought he sounded like Cobra Commander...Cobraaaaahh!!!

http://www.z3btr0n.com/images/blogger/cobra_commander.jpg

Swish
06-14-2008, 07:25 AM
No, her voice isn't what annoys me, it's her liberal politicking during her performances. Look, I realize a few of you misguided RR members are liberals:smile5: , but if she wants to discuss her politics on stage, the show should be billed that way. I've been to a couple shows in the past where the lead singer started some crap about Bush, eliciting quite a few boos and hisses from the audience, along with some applause as you might guess.

The point is, keep your friggin' politics off the stage during your performances unless you advertise it as a fund-raiser or Bush-bashing event, or I will never support you again, and that goes for your cds and your shows. The Chickey Dicks paid the price for their stupidity, so you'd think others would learn.

Swish - card-carrying conservative

kexodusc
06-14-2008, 07:54 AM
No, her voice isn't what annoys me, it's her liberal politicking during her performances. Look, I realize a few of you misguided RR members are liberals:smile5: , but if she wants to discuss her politics on stage, the show should be billed that way. I've been to a couple shows in the past where the lead singer started some crap about Bush, eliciting quite a few boos and hisses from the audience, along with some applause as you might guess.

The point is, keep your friggin' politics off the stage during your performances unless you advertise it as a fund-raiser or Bush-bashing event, or I will never support you again, and that goes for your cds and your shows. The Chickey Dicks paid the price for their stupidity, so you'd think others would learn.

Swish - card-carrying conservative

Nah, I think certain fundamental freedoms give them right to ***** about whatever they want during their performances.
And we have the right to criticize and hate them for it.

Kex - card-carrying wishy-washy, flip-floppin', social liberal/fiscal conservative type...today. FREE WESLEY SNIPES!

Swish
06-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Nah, I think certain fundamental freedoms give them right to ***** about whatever they want during their performances.

Well, maybe I'll agree with what you said in principle, but I'm paying to see a performance of a band's music, not to hear them preach to me. I get enuf of that crap on the network news. What she does in her private life is a different matter. I don't go to my office and start telling everyone who they should vote for or how I believe Obummer is a Jimmy Carter rehash who will be a total flop :p or I would be ostracized in a heartbeat. Why is it any different for a performer who just happens to have a stage and an audience. I think it's total bull****.

Swish - not a big McCain fan, but....

ForeverAutumn
06-14-2008, 03:05 PM

Kex - card-carrying wishy-washy, flip-floppin', social liberal/fiscal conservative type...today. FREE WESLEY SNIPES!

I'm with Swish on this. If I buy a ticket to a concert, I'm there to hear the music not personal opinion...unless the show is billed as a fund raiser. I don't care if the opinion is political or otherwise. R.E.M. invited Amnesty International to set up a table at their concert. At the end of the show they invited people to pay the table a visit and that was the extent of it. I didn't mind that. But had they gone on and started talking about it on stage and giving their opinion of WHY everyone should join, I would have taken issue with that.

kexodusc
06-14-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm with Swish on this. If I buy a ticket to a concert, I'm there to hear the music not personal opinion...unless the show is billed as a fund raiser. I don't care if the opinion is political or otherwise. R.E.M. invited Amnesty International to set up a table at their concert. At the end of the show they invited people to pay the table a visit and that was the extent of it. I didn't mind that. But had they gone on and started talking about it on stage and giving their opinion of WHY everyone should join, I would have taken issue with that.
I'm with Swish on it too...it's annoying as hell and I tend to agree with you guys. I go through it all the time being an American living in Canada - its way cool to crap on the USA these days - sometimes it's pretty funny, sometimes it stings.

I guess my point was while I'd rather not listen to a 30 second rant in the middle of sets...but, there's nothing stopping them. The most we can do is stop supporting them, boo them, complain etc.

You put a mic in front of someone, you're at their mercy. And that's a pretty cool thing.

BarryL
06-14-2008, 07:21 PM
I guess I'm getting old. I don't know most of those singers.

But going right to number one for me is Alanis Morriset. I can't stand her voice. She's a crappy songwriter too, even though she's written some pretty catchy melodies. Yeah, so she sold ten million copies of Jagged Little Pill, so what do I know.

bobsticks
06-15-2008, 09:06 AM
I agree with both side in this little political tete-a-tete.

Of course, in this glorious country and many others everyone enjoys the right to have an opinion and speak freely on it. I'm with our esteemed colleague Lazarus Short in that I'll defend to the death your right to say anything...just be prepared for the a backlash of common sense against drivel.

The crux of the biscuit is that most of these "stars" are idiots and followers. A President, any President, is only as powerful as the current tide of popular content or discontent bestows upon the office. The President is largely a world figurehead but actually wields little power in the arena of national policy. The toothless collection of demagogic, insanely-ranting, greed-driven, old white assclowns that is the United States Congress is the seat of all power in the areas of budget and policy.

Whenever I hear even the hint of some Vanity Fair, 5th grade Social Studies class bull**** start to come out of one of these twit's mouths I intsantly discount the content and cease buying product, if I'd ever started.

skewiff
06-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Dave Matthews, bleedin' horrible

Tony

kexodusc
06-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Whenever I hear even the hint of some Vanity Fair, 5th grade Social Studies class bull**** start to come out of one of these twit's mouths I intsantly discount the content and cease buying product, if I'd ever started.

Maybe I've been lucky? I seem to have little problem separating the message from the music, and the commentary from the performance. There's an ton of stuff Rage Against the Machine whined about, I still thought they kicked ass.

I think it's safe to say we're all in agreement though - Bono (wow, was he not mentioned yet?) and the other sympathy sluts make for incredibly annoying singers.

bobsticks
06-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Maybe I've been lucky? I seem to have little problem separating the message from the music, and the commentary from the performance. There's an ton of stuff Rage Against the Machine whined about, I still thought they kicked ass.

I think it's safe to say we're all in agreement though - Bono (wow, was he not mentioned yet?) and the other sympathy sluts make for incredibly annoying singers.

I think Rage had more to offer. It's easier to tune out Zack's cries for a Zapatista revolution or freedom for Tibet when Mr. Morello cranks into overdrive. I mean who really cares about Babs' backing band? Plus, c'mon Zapata was an idiot but at least it's original and not bandwagon whining.

emesbee
06-16-2008, 02:33 AM
I had my first listen to some Radiohead recently, when they were playing a 'best of' collection in a CD shop. Best of? They must be joking. This was some of the dreariest music I've ever heard. Dull, flat, monotonous vocals. Boring!

kexodusc
06-16-2008, 03:42 AM
I think Rage had more to offer. It's easier to tune out Zack's cries for a Zapatista revolution or freedom for Tibet when Mr. Morello cranks into overdrive. I mean who really cares about Babs' backing band? Plus, c'mon Zapata was an idiot but at least it's original and not bandwagon whining.
That's a big part of it. If you're band sucks and you're fighting globalization or whatever, you're in big trouble. Nonetheless, I can usually separate the messages from the music.
Lyrics are usually the last thing I notice in a song though - if the music doesn't hook me I wouldn't care about words. With a few exceptions, of course...

I change my picks, the more I think about it, Bono is public enemy #1 for me...

thereyet
06-16-2008, 11:14 AM
then I think the guy from spoon and also Modest mouse would be on the list. But they aren't because I love quirky. Love Springsteen, Dylan, Neil Young, Dr. John and a whole host of blues singers who sound like they have marbles in their mouths.

It is the "beautiful" voices I can't stand.

thereyet

GMichael
06-16-2008, 11:44 AM

I have been known to avoid certain shows do to the preaching I heard last time around. They can talk all they want, but not on my dime.

I brought up Bono too. His voice rips through me like a twisted knife with jagged edges.

Groundbeef
06-16-2008, 12:08 PM
I didn't know a lot of his picks, but I do happen to like James Blunt.

He's not groundbreaking, but not ear breaking either.

I might have added Billy Ray Cyrus, if only for that stuipd achy-heart song.

Micheal Bolton is about the worst.

nightflier
06-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Why is it any different for a performer who just happens to have a stage and an audience. I think it's total bull****.

Well, I don't think it's bull. See this is a country where people are allowed to say what's on their minds. The alternative would be much worse - take it from someone who's experienced censorship first-hand, the alternative is not an option. And it's not like anyone who's followed Streisand didn't know this to begin with. Or were you living under a rock? Look, if you don't like her politics, maybe this isn't the artist for you. Part of an artist's freedom is to express their political opinions through their art. If art were not political, would it still be art? Would we even have jazz, rock, soul, or even Beethoven's 3rd, if these artists had chosen to remain a-political?

bobsticks
06-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Well, maybe I'll agree with what you said in principle, but I'm paying to see a performance of a band's music, not to hear them preach to me....

Hey 'flier,

I don't think that GrampySwish is saying that they should be banned or censored, merely that they should be shunned, ostracized, and discounted.

For my part I agree with him too. If you can't tell me how much a gallon of milk is, I don't care to know your political philosophy. It's sorta like people who have never done drugs counseling substance abuse programs or chaste nuns preaching about sex. If you haven't been down in the trenches leave it for your bio, I'll just take the songs thank you very much.

It's interesting to note that Zach hasn't had much success since the implosion of Rage. Without those stellar bandmates he was revealed for the musically-limited and ungrateful little cur that he is. Wanna promote some backwards, uphill land revolution? Fine. Wanna verbally mangle the country which provided you the opportunity to make millions? Again, fine but tacky enough that I'm probably not hopping on board. Apparently I'm not alone.

Within context I view Obama the same way. He, like DeLaRocha, has no real substance just whining about change. Fine. Good. I agree that there needs to be some changes within the structure of this country, but he offers no concrete examples and indeed offers no evidence that he even knows where to start...just alot of sound and fury. But, take that to the next level...wanna position yourself with those that "have never been proud of America" or those that damn it and I'm not sure he and I are interested in the same kinds of change. Just my .02.

And, btw (and on-topic slightly) apart both Petty and Orbison are acceptable and sometimes desirable, but that "Traveling Wilbury's" thing was just too much bizarro world.

Swish
06-17-2008, 12:06 PM
then I think the guy from spoon and also Modest mouse would be on the list. But they aren't because I love quirky. Love Springsteen, Dylan, Neil Young, Dr. John and a whole host of blues singers who sound like they have marbles in their mouths.

It is the "beautiful" voices I can't stand.

thereyet

I think Britt is a pretty fine singer actually, and I don't find him the least bit quirky. Of course, I may be a bit partial since I met him in person and we're real close friends now. :smilewinkgrin:

Swish

bobsticks
06-18-2008, 05:53 PM
You like popsicles?

No, I like poppin' bottles like the multiple ones Swishy pops to fuel his liquor-induced, star-****ing fantasies. :D :D :D