marantz sr-18u problem - advise please [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : marantz sr-18u problem - advise please

wmann
06-09-2008, 10:28 AM
edit changed 7200 to 7400 as thats what the newer receiver is....

Hello, I have a marantz sr-18u in need of repair. It has been down a while, I bought a marantz 7400 as a replacement in order to send it out, buy never did. I now am having problems with the 7400 which I will send out under warrenty, but I would also like to get the sr-18u fixed if possible.

I am getting no sound out of the unit. I used the tuner and well as a marantz cassette deck to test.

I have attempted to connect a marantz mm500 amp that I have from when I used an av-500 preamp (which I no longer own) to the preouts and still get no sound. I am not really sure what I am doing, but I removed the jumpers from the mains prein/preout and I connected the amp, and assumed that it would use the external amp without changing any settings, but I am not sure if thats correct. I connected the amp with standard high quality rca cables, is that correct? Could someone suggest a better way to determine the problem?

As such I am not sure if its an amp problem (which I assumed it was) or something else. Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong and if the mm500 amp should have produced sound? Any suggestions as to the best person to repair this unit and what might the cost be? I am on the east coast so if possible I would prefer to send it as short a distance as possible.

Bill Mann

nightflier
06-09-2008, 11:23 AM
A couple of thoughts:

- Why is the 7200 on the fritz? I ask because I know that one particular amp produces a lot of heat, especially when used in Class-A mode. Were the amps stored in a less-than-ideally-ventilated cabinet?

- When you connected the amp to the pre-outs, did you connect it to the inputs or the outputs? The 7200 does not have pre-outs, so I presume you were not testing that integrated with an external amp.

- Could it be a power issue? It sounds like you are getting functionality out of the preamp functions (lights are on, remote works), so is it possible that the available power from your wall or power center is overtaxed? Amps usually require the most juice.

- Some other details: make sure you unplug the power cord before plugging in any ICs. Also, check to make sure that the Tape Monitor and Mute functions are off and that you have the correct Speaker Selection turned on. I know it's self-evident, but we all overlook these things sometimes.

wmann
06-09-2008, 01:11 PM
A couple of thoughts:

- Why is the 7200 on the fritz? I ask because I know that one particular amp produces a lot of heat, especially when used in Class-A mode. Were the amps stored in a less-than-ideally-ventilated cabinet?

My mistake, the receiver is a 7400 not a 7200 is on the fritz because when I turn it on it will often cycle power on/off ever .5 sec until I unplug the power from the back and plug it back in. At that point when the power cord is replaced the unit comes up powered on. This started after about 6 month and seems to be worsening. Its in a cwd cabinet with the back removed and several inches on clearance

- When you connected the amp to the pre-outs, did you connect it to the inputs or the outputs? The 7200 does not have pre-outs, so I presume you were not testing that integrated with an external amp.

I was testing with the sr-18u not the 7400. I believe I used the pre-out outputs. But I need to look at the unit tonight. Is that the correct way?

- Could it be a power issue? It sounds like you are getting functionality out of the preamp functions (lights are on, remote works), so is it possible that the available power from your wall or power center is overtaxed? Amps usually require the most juice.

The sr-18 functionality seems to work fine and I dont think its a power issue as I have tried several circuits.

- Some other details: make sure you unplug the power cord before plugging in any ICs. Also, check to make sure that the Tape Monitor and Mute functions are off and that you have the correct Speaker Selection turned on. I know it's self-evident, but we all overlook these things sometimes.

I think that I did it correctly, I also tried the cassette in the tv input to see if that produced sound.

As an aside, I think the sr-18 used to "click" twice when powered up a second apart. Now there seems to just be one click, I believe the mm500 clicks twice, but I will check. Thanks for you help!