DTS ES on LOTR 2 Towers question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DTS ES on LOTR 2 Towers question

IRG
11-21-2003, 08:15 AM
Hey all,
Formerly known as Igor, I thought it was time since we have a new board, to have a new name (initials, similar to my hero RGA ;)

Here's my quesiton. I have an older but good Onkyo receiver, 575x, that has DD and DTS, but not DTS ES. I bought the new 4 disc 2 Towers dvd this week, and chose the audio option for DTS ES 6.1 even though I have just regular DTS decoding. The sound was terrible, sounded like it was constantly skipping, only the picture was fine. When I stopped and switched to Dolby Digital EX (my receiver doesn't have the EX signature) it sounded fine. So is this because my reciever needs to have the latest decoder to enjoy DTS ES, or something wrong with the disc? Is the sound of DTS ES much if any superior to DD EX? Thanks once again.

agtpunx40
11-21-2003, 10:51 AM
I played the dts es track on my reciever which doesn't have es and it was awsome. You do not need at dts es decoder, the reciever is supposed to just play it as a dts 5.1 dvd. Either the disk is messed up or the reciever's dts decoder is.

Woochifer
11-21-2003, 11:40 AM
I would guess defective disc or some issue with your receiver as well. That DTS ES track should be fully compatible with all DTS decoders since that format is scalable. Although I would add that when I played back TTT on my system, the DTS audio did skip during the layer transitions on both movie discs.

jeffrodesiac
11-27-2003, 12:19 AM
Hey all,
Formerly known as Igor, I thought it was time since we have a new board, to have a new name (initials, similar to my hero RGA ;)

Here's my quesiton. I have an older but good Onkyo receiver, 575x, that has DD and DTS, but not DTS ES. I bought the new 4 disc 2 Towers dvd this week, and chose the audio option for DTS ES 6.1 even though I have just regular DTS decoding. The sound was terrible, sounded like it was constantly skipping, only the picture was fine. When I stopped and switched to Dolby Digital EX (my receiver doesn't have the EX signature) it sounded fine. So is this because my reciever needs to have the latest decoder to enjoy DTS ES, or something wrong with the disc? Is the sound of DTS ES much if any superior to DD EX? Thanks once again.
ye you would need an ES receiver, normally it recognizes that you dont have it and resort to regular 5.1