Value of records thread? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Value of records thread?

Les Adams
06-08-2008, 04:23 AM
Some time ago I posted a thread on this forum about how much you value your vinyl record collection. After a few days, the topic became a CD vs Vinyl debate! At least at this point the discussion was still about audio, although I was looking forward to seeing comments on the original subject.

But then something far worse happened. It degenerated into a slagging match with people calling each other "Nazi's" and general unpleasantness. I made a comment at the time and suggested that it might be nice to return to the topic, but alas I return today to find pages of personal insults (not directed at me) and very little content about audio or records. As a result of this I see the topic has now been closed.

You can say that I don't have to read the nonsense, but then what is the point of posting a subject only to have it hijacked by vandals - and that is what these people are. They ruin forums like this one because they are incapable of rational debate. If someone disagrees with their viewpoint then they are called an "idiot" or a "Nazi"? I think this is the pot calling the kettle black!

The only way to tackle this is for the offending people to be barred from the site and leave it to those who want to use it for its intended purpose. I am sure that would go some way to weeding out those who seem to gain pleasure from abusing others.

I recall a once very good radio discussion board that was infested in a similar way. That board was eventually closed. It would be a shame if the same thing happened here.

VinylHaven
06-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Hello,

I am one that grew up with vinyl. My father was always playing records. When we were little, he played 76 trombones and we marched around the living room and then up the stairs to bed. My dad had several radio shows which featured jazz, big band , classics and most everything else one can imagine. He put together some music for one of his shows for my wedding. I now have a tape of that music and I am really happy that I do.

When my dad passed on I inherited his vast record collection. It takes up about four shelves. I also have a large cassette collection. Then there is my own stuff. Whewww!

I enjoy taking out the vinyl and playing it. Sometimes I have to clean it first if it is one that I have not listened to. But I enjoy owning my vinyl collection. I value it as something from an era that has given me much pleasure in life. :yesnod:

E-Stat
06-20-2008, 01:29 PM
...although I was looking forward to seeing comments on the original subject.

As for me, I'm pretty much format agnostic. It is the value of the music that is contained in my vinyl that is most important to me. Many old friends that have provided countless hours of enjoyment.

rw

audio_dude
06-20-2008, 08:54 PM
As for me, I'm pretty much format agnostic. It is the value of the music that is contained in my vinyl that is most important to me. Many old friends that have provided countless hours of enjoyment.

rw

true that my friend, true that.

emesbee
06-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Quite true, it is the music that is important. I value vinyl recordings that have not been transferred on to CD, otherwise my preference is for CD, as I have a strong dislike for surface noise intruding on my listening pleasure. I do enjoy playing vinyl from time to time, though, when I am in a retro mood. (Contradicting myself a bit, I know.)

Feanor
06-21-2008, 03:46 AM
Some time ago I posted a thread on this forum about how much you value your vinyl record collection. After a few days, the topic became a CD vs Vinyl debate! At least at this point the discussion was still about audio, although I was looking forward to seeing comments on the original subject.

But then something far worse happened. It degenerated into a slagging match with people calling each other "Nazi's" and general unpleasantness. I made a comment at the time and suggested that it might be nice to return to the topic, but alas I return today to find pages of personal insults (not directed at me) and very little content about audio or records. As a result of this I see the topic has now been closed.

I'm giving the topic a wide berth this time! :p