Waited long enough [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Waited long enough

jimib
06-08-2008, 03:32 AM
I recently recieved a letter from my credit card company saying my money had been credited. I never recieved the Totems I purchased from a member of another website. I have, however, become the new owner of a pair of Paradigm studio 40's. I got these, stands and a pair of 8' cables (IXOS?) .To be honest, I don't know what kind of cables they are, the dealer threw them in at the last second. I know they are better than the spaghetti wires I had. What a huge difference compared to my vintage (old) Infinity's. Now, what's my next move? I feel the need for another fix! Amp, I'm guessing....

thekid
06-08-2008, 04:30 AM
Glad to hear you got your money back!! If you like your speakers then a source upgrade seems to be the next move.

A story in the local paper profiled a pawn broker and a bankruptcy attorney who both reported that since the recession started ( also known as a "economic slow down filled with opportunities" for you Bush fans out there) they have seen more affluent customers using their services.

It might become a buyer's market for some of the higher end gear. Might want to keep your eye open on your local ads or Craigslist for additional gear.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

markw
06-08-2008, 07:51 AM
I'm glad you like your new toys, but sometimes a bit of patience pays off.

Remember, new speakers make the most obvious change in your system. Everything else pales in comparison.

Why not just get used to your current system before spending more money without a definite goal in mind?

IOW, what do you think needs improvement? Once you can answer this, you have a goal to shoot for. Without that, you're just spending money without a goal.

jimib
06-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Good advice Mark. I thoroghly research everything I do. If I did make a move on an amp, I will talk about it for 6 months before I do anything. My wife was happy for me to finally buy speakers so I would shut up about them! I'll listen to what I have for a while, but I'm starting research now.

frenchmon
06-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Good advice Mark. I thoroghly research everything I do. If I did make a move on an amp, I will talk about it for 6 months before I do anything. My wife was happy for me to finally buy speakers so I would shut up about them! I'll listen to what I have for a while, but I'm starting research now.

Ok you got new speakers...and Paradigm is my favorite speaker company. So come now, we need a review. What did you get Studio 40's, did you get a good deal, and what versions...and how do they sound, do you need a sub with them?....Waiting for a review.

frenchmon

jimib
06-11-2008, 02:53 PM
I got the studio 40 v4"s, j 18 stands and cables for $1350 + tax. So far they are incredible, however I don't have much to compare them with. I've had the same Infinity ss2004 for 13 years. Maybe a touch harsh in the highs but I'm still playing with placement and wiring. Bi wire? not yet. As of right now I really haven't pushed them but I don't think I'll need a sub. But that doesn't mean I won't get one anyway!