Most Memorable Last Scene. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Most Memorable Last Scene.

Smokey
06-08-2008, 12:47 AM
There are few movies that their last scene have etched in American movie cultures such as in Shane’s "Shane, come back!" or Casablanca’s "The beginning of a beautiful friendship".

So I though it might be fun to do our own version of memorable endings. (Sorry as some images do not match the disrcription)

Not in any particular order:

Goodfellas: At the end where Ray Liotta pick up his newspaper on his porch, Joe Pesci suddenly appear and fires several shots into camera as credit start rolling. Awesome!
http://www.javno.com/slike/slike_3/r1/g2007/m04/x82137689653212655.jpg

Karate Kid: All famous one legged kick, and shot of proud his mentor Pat Morita as screen fade into darkness.
http://www.virginmedia.com/microsites/movies/slideshow/best-fight-scenes/img_8.jpg

Thelma and Louise: Gina:”Lets keep going”, and that is what they did. Rode into eternity.
http://seacat.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/thelma-and-louise.jpg

Big Night: A very under rated film, the last couple of minutes of film is dialogue-less as the owner of restaurant cook up an omelet and eat it with his chef brother knowing business is going under.
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/031010/15313__bignight_l.jpg

Graduate: As the bus ride away and song Sound Of Silence begin playing, the look on Dustin Hoffman face which turn from happy to somewhat somber is priceless.
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2007/08/17/graduate460.jpg

Friday The 13th: The last scene was a shocker. On the lake, as girl is drifting on the boat, a boyish mummy figure suddenly appear from water and pull her under.
http://www.itsonlyamovie.co.uk/screen%20shots%20and%20titles/friday%20the%2013th%20title.jpg

Back to Future: As Doc utter these words, “Roads. in the future we don’t need roads!”. He back up his time machine, raise it up and head toward camera with headlight on as credit start rolling.
http://planetsave.com/files/2007/08/back_to_the_future_part_ii_large_01.jpg

Candidate: Robert Redford was sure that he will not win. So he base his campaign on idealistic slogans. But in a surprise win that even shocked him, he turn to his campaign manager Peter Boyle and asked, "What do we do now?"
http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/images/column/121506/thecandidate2.jpg

Godfather II: Michael face expression tell a thousand word as he looks on and picture fades into black.
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/070807/gallery/godfather_l.jpg

Honorable mention:

Planet of Apes: Loinclothed Charlton Heston encounter the ruins of Lady Liberty on beach, drops to his knees and damns us all to hell.
http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/PlanetoftheApes/ending.jpg

emaidel
06-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Even before scanning through your list, the first scene I thought of was the ending of the first "Planet of the Apes." Absoutely chilling, and never duplicated. Glad you included it (even though it's a matte painting, and not a full scale model, since digital effects weren't yet invented in 1968).

Smokey
06-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Thanks emaidel. I agree that it was an awsome ending. Not only that, but the music soundtrack was also very chilling. A complete contrast to Tim Burton remade of same film which was a disaster. They couldn't even get rid of Tim's movie in Walmart's Bargain Bin :D

Worf101
06-09-2008, 03:48 AM
Nice topic smoke. You help keep this joint alive during the "Lost" months.

1. "Casablanca" - As Rick and Reneau walk into the mist to the strains of Le Marsailles say "this could be the start of a beautiful friendship."

2. "They Were Expendable" - As the last plane flies out of the doomed Filipines it flys over starving ragged soldiers who eventually face starvation, torture and death, yet the unshakable belief in their eyes that America would eventually triumph is priceless.

3. "Glory" - Denzel's and Matthew Brodderick's bodies being thrown together in death as they could never have been in life.

4. "The Bedford Incident" - How a mistake by a tired man leads to disasterous consequences.

5. "The Lost Boys" - "Worst thing about livin' in San Dimas... too many goddamn Vampires!"

6. "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" - No need to explain this one.

7. "The Omen" - The smile on little Damiens mush...

8. "The Bad Seed" - The final coda from God is priceless.

9. "The Bridge on the River Kwai" - Alec Guiness, priceless.

10. "Poltergiest" - When he slams the door shut only to reopen it and put the T.V. out... LOL.

Da Worfster

3-LockBox
06-09-2008, 07:45 AM
I was thinking of Glory myself. What a great movie that was and I'm stunned by the amount of people who never saw this movie. Ten times more moving and poignant than the any of the other Civil War movies attempted to be. Yes, that final ending was inspired.

I also love the final scene in One Flew Over The Cucoo's Nest - gets me every time.

The final scene in Sparticus, with Douglas hanging on that cross, refusing to die, defiant to the end. Speaking of men in skirts, the final scene in Gladiator was great.

Speaking of Kubrick, the final scene in Eyes Wide Shut, Nicole Kidman's final word, the last word to ever be uttered in a Kubrick film.

How bout the final scene in Boogie Nights, actually, a spoof of Raging Bull's ending, with Walberg in front of the mirror. Classic.

nightflier
06-09-2008, 11:53 AM
I just saw The Kingdom last night (Fox, Barhom, Garner, Cooper, Bateman, Suliman). The last scene where it was asked what was whispered in the ear to calm both Jennifer Garner and the terrorist's grandson down: "Don't worry, we'll kill them all" is pretty potent, if you ask me.

bobsticks
06-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Oooh, "The Lost Boys", Worfster? Good one. "Goodfellas" too.

Lot's of good ones mentioned and plenty more I'm sure although most of my favorite scenes aren't at the ending. I get the premise though and I dig the fadeout...like Pacino holding the dying DeNiro in "Heat".

Free copy of "Gigli" to whomever can guess the derivative crapfest from whence this still shot comes...

Smokey
06-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks Worf. That is alot of memorable endings you mentioned, some of which that I have forgotten. Your description of last scene of They Were Expendable remind me of ending of All Quite on Western Front. In the final scene, soldiers are seen marching grimly as each looking back into camera, with weary faces.

And thanks 3-Lockbox, Nightflier and Bobstick for contribution. Movie can be mediocre, but of it have powerful ending it make it more memorable. Also have you all notice that when movie have very emotional endings, the viewer tend to sit through whole credit just staring at screen without moving a muscle. It happened to me few times :D

eisforelectronic
06-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Bill and Ted are from San Dimas, the Lost Boys were in Santa Clara

Worf101
06-12-2008, 04:48 AM
Bill and Ted are from San Dimas, the Lost Boys were in Santa Clara
You might be right. Thanks for the correction. Sigh... another senior moment.

Da Worfster

Heywood Djahblomie
06-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Speaking of Kubrick, the final scene in Eyes Wide Shut, Nicole Kidman's final word, the last word to ever be uttered in a Kubrick film.

no big deal

she says that to me every night

in my dreams

How bout the final scene in Boogie Nights, actually, a spoof of Raging Bull's ending, with Walberg in front of the mirror.

now we know what yer dreams are about

bwaahahahaha

PeruvianSkies
06-19-2008, 12:26 AM
I think my favorite ending scene would either have to be SUNSET BOULEVARD or THE THIRD MAN.

I really like the scene in BLADE RUNNER when Roy Batty dies, but it's not technically the ending scene, so it does not count in this case.

Worf101
06-19-2008, 04:27 AM
I think my favorite ending scene would either have to be SUNSET BOULEVARD or THE THIRD MAN.

I really like the scene in BLADE RUNNER when Roy Batty dies, but it's not technically the ending scene, so it does not count in this case.
You have great taste man. Two endings I forgot... both kinda related

"The Natural" and "Field of Dreams"

My Gawd I do love the movies...

Da Worfster

GMichael
06-19-2008, 07:27 AM
I always liked the ending of Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. Even if it was ripped off from Moby Dick.
"For Hate's Sake I Spit My Last Breath At Thee"

I know, not the real ending, but screw it. The real ending with Spock dying was moving for me as well.

Auricauricle
06-19-2008, 10:39 AM
The last two or three minutes of Runaway Train....Manny (Jon Voight) atop a locomotive hurtling, out of control and fated to crash through the snow, towards certain death....

Accompanied by second movement ("And on peace good will towards men") of Vivaldi's "Gloria".

Phew!

Auricauricle
06-19-2008, 10:41 AM
I always liked the ending of Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. Even if it was ripped off from Moby Dick.
"For Hate's Sake I Spit My Last Breath At Thee"

I know, not the real ending, but screw it. The real ending with Spock dying was moving for me as well.

The pipes doing "Amazing Grace...."

Gimme a hankie! Quick, dammitt!

PeruvianSkies
06-20-2008, 12:31 AM
The final scenes with freeze-frame from THE 400 BLOWS, GALLIPOLI, and SOLDIER OF ORANGE. PLATOON also has a good ending and with the credits rolling with Barber's Adagio for Strings playing. Also, I liked the freeze-frame effect in the ending of BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID. TERMINATOR 2 has a good ending scene with a bit of foreshadowing. The ending of GOODFELLAS is highly memorable as well. BONNIE AND CLYDE getting shot is still a very interesting scene that always gets mentioned for it's editing style. SCHINDLERS LIST is a poignant ending as well.

audio_dude
06-20-2008, 08:50 PM
The final scenes with freeze-frame from THE 400 BLOWS, GALLIPOLI, and SOLDIER OF ORANGE. PLATOON also has a good ending and with the credits rolling with Barber's Adagio for Strings playing. Also, I liked the freeze-frame effect in the ending of BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID. TERMINATOR 2 has a good ending scene with a bit of foreshadowing. The ending of GOODFELLAS is highly memorable as well. BONNIE AND CLYDE getting shot is still a very interesting scene that always gets mentioned for it's editing style. SCHINDLERS LIST is a poignant ending as well.

took the words right out of my mouth...

Kam
07-02-2008, 08:37 AM
talk about chilling... that slow pull in to the b/w picture on the wall with that smiling shot of Jack in the center....

"You've always been the caretaker."

now THAT was an ending.