Have the new Steve Winwood yet, if not you should give it a listen [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Have the new Steve Winwood yet, if not you should give it a listen

Mr Peabody
06-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Nine Lives is Winwood's new album and it is very good. This isn't Higher Love, no rhythm machine or large production, it's Winwood with his Hammond, some drums, lot's of the bongo accompaniment, some electric and some acoustic guitar depending on the song, some are void of guitar all together. Mix all this in with some fine song writing and you get Nine Lives. Clapton does a solo on one song I found so don't let that aspect go too far but Jose Pires de Almieda Neto does a fine job on the rest of guitars. A couple songs even has flute. Unfortunately, for Winwood I don't know where this album will fit in the scheme of radio to get the recognition it deserves. It's not commercial enough to make AC, but maybe if the programmer was adventurous, not heavy enough to make the Rock stations. Those who discover it though will find a fine collection of Winwood's best since his Traffic days. Another thing I really appreciate about this album the songs are different enough from each other to make this a good listen all the way through. With that being said though they all pretty much have Winwood's pace to them which isn't bad, it's just a great turn it on, kick back and listen album.

Mr MidFi
06-09-2008, 05:37 AM
I have this one. It's a solid (if not completely exciting) effort. It's getting frequent weekend morning play 'round my house because it's so earthy and bongo-y. Thumb's up from me.

Rich-n-Texas
06-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Steve Winwood fan here! While I like some of what he did on his own, it'll always be his time with Traffic that I favor the most.

Favorite Album: "Mr. Fantasy", hands down!
Favorite Song: "Low Spark..." Playing this song after a few tokes back in the day was mind-bending for sure!
Honorable Mention: "John Barleycorn..." The title track was a great story ya know?

So many good musical memories of Steve from the Spencer Davis Group ("Gimme Some Lovin'") days, the Blind Faith days ("Sea of Joy") and of course Traffic.

I just noticed a "Best of Traffic" comp on Amazon. Giving it a look see right now. :thumbsup:

Duds
06-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Dirty City is my favorite track on the disc.

Gotta agree with Rich - Traffic is the best Winwood stuff

Mr Peabody
06-09-2008, 03:55 PM
If you like Traffic you should give Nine Lives a listen, it's not the same but it's Winwood doing some really good stuff. I think so far my favorite track is #3. It bares repeating, Nine Lives is not like any of his prior solo stuff, at least any I've heard, it's better.

The 2 disc Traffic best of or whatever they call it is fairly comprehensive. Gotta go, nearly trampled by 10,000 Headmen, need some Medicated Goooooooo

bobsticks
06-09-2008, 03:58 PM
This is one that I picked up yesterday and it doesn't disappoint. The selling point was Mr. P.'s accurate description. I'll agree that it's "earthy" and "bongo-ey" a la MidFi and far-and-away a divergence from "Higher Love" (which is good). Simplicity wins the day I felt, at least for this one.

Mr Peabody
06-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks Stix, and don't forget, chicklets are an ongoing thing :)

bobsticks
06-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks Stix, and don't forget, chicklets are an ongoing thing :)

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mr Peabody again."

Mr Peabody
06-09-2008, 08:44 PM
You're the man!

Rich-n-Texas
06-10-2008, 07:24 AM
...this: "Traffic Gold"

The track list (it's long):

Disc 1

Paper Sun
Dealer
Coloured Rain
Hole in My Shoe
No Face, No Name, No Number
Heaven is in Your Mind
Smiling Phases
Dear Mr. Fantasy
You Can All Join In
Pearly Queen
Feelin' Alright
Who Knows What Tomorrow May Bring
(...) 40,000 Headmen
Shanghai Noodle Factory
Medicate Goo
Glad
Freedom Rider
Empty Pages
John Barleycorn (Must Die)Disc 2

Gimme Some Lovin'
The Low Spark...
Light Up or Leave Me Alone
Rock and Roll Stew Parts 1 & 2
Rainmaker
Shoot Out at the Fantasy Factory
(...) Uninspired
Something New
Dream Garrard
Walking in the Wind
When the Eagle FliesThat's a LOT of great Traffic for < $15 bucks.

I also added "Cream Gold". Another great psychedelic band that captured my attention back in the late 60's early 70's. Maybe when I play all these songs together I'll start flying my Magic Carpet and run into Lucy with the diamond eyes! :smilewinkgrin:

Okay Mr. P, back to you. :cool:

Mr Peabody
06-10-2008, 06:04 PM
That's the album, I also picked up the Cream not long ago. Although comprehensive I didn't think the sound quality was all that great on the Traffic. I thought they may have done some remastering, if they did I couldn't tell it.

Rich-n-Texas
06-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Well Mr. P, I'm playing it right now and IMO the remastering is quite phenominal (my receiver is set to "Straight" 2 channel PCM). Of course the last time I listened to Traffic with this much enthusiasm, it was way back in the 70's on my less than stellar Pioneer equipment. Nevertheless I'm enjoying the heck out of it! :thumbsup:

Mr Peabody
06-20-2008, 05:46 PM
I don't want to start a debate with anyone but it could also be for me that all my Traffic was on vinyl up until I bought that comp. Sometimes older albums still sound best on vinyl. They just don't seem to make the transfer to digital well. I haven't had the Traffic set on for awhile so I'm going from my impression, it's about time to spin it again.

Rich-n-Texas
06-20-2008, 05:57 PM
And I don't mean to steer this topic away from your original thought Mr. P. It's just that Steve Winwood involks good memories of my early years of music enjoyment. Obviously though when I was into Traffic back in the day it was all on vinyl. Maybe I'll hook up my old Pioneer TT this weekend.

3-LockBox
06-21-2008, 02:14 PM
I was wondering about this one. I guess I need to pick this one up.