running multiple speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : running multiple speakers

curiousburke
06-07-2008, 05:33 AM
Hi All,
I haven't posted in awhile, mostly been lurking and getting lots of good info from old posts, but I thought my current dilemma might be of interest or at least worth a comment to tell me I have no ear.

I have been A/B'ing two speaker options that are very different, the Energy RC-10s versus Orb Audio's Classic 2.1 (2 balls on each side + sub). I like both systems well enough. The RC-10's have really nice output within a good but restricted frequency range; the Orbs span a broader range, but sound a little empty compared with the RC-10's. I think this is lack of mid-bass but I'm a newbie.

The sound I really like is when I run them both at the same time. The RC-10's fill in the gap and smooth the transition between the sub and the highs, and this combo sounds very nice to me.

So, my questions: what am I hearing when running a bunch of speakers at once that sounds so nice and what would I need to get this sound without using multiple systems? Or, do people use several "full" range speakers at once? Would a dual 5" driver speak like the Ascends sound similar? I don't care too much about imaging since I rarely sit in one place specifically to listen to music.

thanks,
Mark

j dan vignau
07-01-2008, 11:57 AM
If speakers have a flat frequency response, you can use more than one set without multiplying the effects of a poor freq. response. I have had B&W DM 14s for nearly three decades and they have a flat (<1/2 db from 100-19000Hz) and double up well, especially with an amp that doubles power into 4 ohms. Their main deficiency is in extremely quick responses such as acoustic piano and snare drums because the mid/woofer cones are heavy. I added Acoustat Electrostatics (Exceptionally quick) to a pair of the B&Ws and used this for a couple of years with very interesting results. You can add volumn and presence to flat speakers or make up for deficiencies in others. When I upgraded the Acoustat woofs, I no longer used the B&Ws with them but I still use stacked B&Ws for my game room. The most important issue is whether they sound good. In addition, you are more than likely gaining power and presence with more drivers and fewer ohms.

RoadRunner6
07-01-2008, 02:32 PM
"..........2 balls on each side + sub.........."

I'm not going to touch this thread with a ten foot pole!

RR6 :smilewinkgrin:

RoadRunner6
07-01-2008, 04:57 PM
OK, I'll be serious for a minute.

It looks like you are trying to stay in the $600 range for a stereo system that is on the small side.

I think your evaluation of the Orb system might be correct in that there could be a significant dip in the frequency response where the balls crossover to the sub (Oh there we go again). That is very common in systems with a small satellite type speaker and a sub. This depends on the specific room accoustics in your listening area.

I highly recommend you go with a sub with the Energy RC-10's. The Energy's are a very nice speaker. They are probably fairly flat down to about 60Hz or so. You are missing that important lower bass in music area below 60Hz. A sub will fill out that important bass area and really add full spectrum sound. This might put you over your budget. Here are a couple of suggestions.

See if this might help price wise if you can go for the lower priced finish.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENRC10

The Outlaw LFM-2 is a great musical sub for $299. The photo here does not do it justice. It has an inlaid plexiglass top that is simply stunning. I have the big brother, LFM-1 Plus and my wife thinks it is georgeous. I have recommended it to several friends and they are very impressed. It goes down below 30 Hz quite flat.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm2.html

Another option is the M2i from Axiom Audio, another Canadian company, This one is also direct to buyer. I own these particular speakers in a custom black piano glass finish. These are great speakers and in the same sound class as the Energy's (but they are flat only down to about 75Hz). I would crossover both the Energy and the Axiom's at about 80-90 Hz for a good smooth blend with no dips.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/m2.html

I don't recommend running two separate speaker systems together.

RR6 :smile5:

filecat13
07-08-2008, 09:43 PM
there could be a significant dip in the frequency response where the balls crossover

RR6 :smile5:

You mean like "YEEE-O-oow! :yikes:

Also, I agree: don't run two systems together.

hydroman
07-09-2008, 10:38 AM
I ran two sets wired in parallel with good results. BUT it was an NAD amp which sounded even better running at 4ohm load. If you have a good/high qaulity amp section it should be fine.